47th Annual Cider Season (Open to all)

Hippo

Despite the tensions that had collected around the steadfastness (or sheer stubbornness) of the orange Apple Earth Mare, diplomacy and good sense once again prevailed!  "Don't worry, I doubt either of us have enough magical horsepower to turn the wheels any more efficiently than our legs would.  Not every unicorn is of a level of power comparable to even pre-ascension Twilight Sparkle, you know."  Blueblood gestured at Bellissima, though this was more a guess than certain knowledge.  The Prince basically reasoned that any kind of magical prodigy would be fast-tracked into a magical career, or else go off and try to take over the world, or some portion of it.  Still, one never could tell with creative types.

Seeing Applejack off, Blueblood took a moment to look over the situation before assuming managerial control.  First, he turned to his students.  "I believe I can arrange that, though to be fair, I'd have to ask for your help first.  There's a barrel reserved for all volunteers, you'll be less likely to spill any after the crowds are gone.  You've both got claws for fine motor skills, so I think your best fit would be to finish up the repairs on the third press.  Sooner we get that up, sooner we can be assured of everypon- everyone has a chance to taste the Apple Clan's finest."

Nodding at them, he turned to the two working turbines.  "Taira and I will work the other two presses in the meantime.  It promises to be a hot day, though; we'll need some water throughout.  Can I count on you for that, Belissima?"  With Apple Bloom handling the sales side, it looked like everything would be taken care of.  "Good, alright team, lets do our national hero proud!"

With rather more of a spring in his step than one would expect of a royal about to engage in manual labor, the Prince mounted the treadmill with a confident stride.  It probably had a lot to do with the fact that his maintained physique looked rather good with active muscles and sweaty hide.  Never pass up a chance to show off what you got!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

post-1908-0-71650300-1401605331.png

The alicron's glare would be interrupted by a voice she had never heard before as she blinked. "Oh, um, greetings," she would say turning to greet the newcomer. She was quite surprised to see the kirin. "Taira you say?" Inquizitoin in her voice. "I believe I have overheard that name from my sister on occasion." Looking back over to Apple Jack, she would nod seeing that the orange mare had finally decided to get some sleep. "It was not a personal matter between myself and Apple Jack, but merely a some aggressive negotiations upon the importance of sleep to ones own health and mental well being."

Luna would continue to levitate fresh, empty mugs to Apple Bloom to fill and smile at the filly. "I am sure Apple Bloom here can vouch for Apple Jack's...and to an extent...my hardheadedness." as she nervously chuckled. "As for not being glamorous, I am here to assist. Perhaps some of this cider was made with the tree that I planted?" Luna looked to Apple Bloom not knowing how large her tree has grown yet. Looking back to their new arrival. She would smile. "What brings you to Sweet Apple Achers Taira?"

• Like 2

epRvlJZ.png?1

Bellissima Stella raised her hoof to knock the flock of hair out of her face as she nodded her head at what Blueblood had said. Bell wasn't the best with magic, not by a long shot. Sure, she could do simple levitations and such, the main spell she could cast being autotune. The pink mare can quite simply make her voice sound rather fake. As a popular singer these days, it was something ponies liked to hear. It did mess with her voice afterwards though. "Er- yes. My magic lacks quite the amount of quality that other unicorns may bring to the table." She gave a sweet smile to Applejack, reassuring that her and Blueblood wouldn't scam the idea.

As the apple pony left to rest, the pink unicorn sighed. She felt a little more pressure off her chest as she listened to Blueblood's orders. Though, she still felt a little lost. Probably from the lack of experience helping her community. 

Finally orders for her were presented, and when she heard them, the sweat from her brow started to fade away. "Just water? I guess that's properly important." The mare smiled at the white unicorn, trotting by the turbine and sitting down in the grass. Thankfully there was a tree right by them, creating a little bit of shade. "Just let me know when water is accountable. I shall retrieve when summoned."

• Hearthoof 1

REvxA6F.png

Apple Bloom was always happy to have hep, and double that if it were a Princess. And tripe that if it were Princess Luna, honorary Apple of Sweet Apple Acres. Speaking of, Luna hadn't forgotten the tree she had planted. It was just now starting to produce some good apples, though not for today's event. Apple Bloom smiled as she spoke, not forgetting two bits for a mug as she did so. "Yer apple tree is super pretty ta be sure, but the apples it makes aren't right for ciders. Good for snackin' or pies, though," she said, smacking her lips as she imagined sinking her teeth into a nice Princess Apple Pie right about now. Assuming Applejack just didn't save it for sale, of course.

"How goes dreamwalkin'? Any kooky dreams lately?" She asked as she continued to work. She was always mighty interested in what was going on in that realm of nightmares and fantasy, especially anything that could have piqued the interest of the pony of the night herself.

Of course, nothing could distract from work as well.
Two bits, mug. Two bits, mug. Two bits, mug.
“Yep! That sure is Princess Luna!”
Two bits, mug.
“No sir, you ain't dreaming. Not that I'd blame you- that cider is a dream!”
Two bits, mug. Two bits, mug.
“No, this is for cider, not photography.”
Two bits, mug. Two bits, mug. Two bits, mug.
“Yes ma'am, you can get yer cider. Y'all don't need ta bow!”
Two bits, mug.

81KtqmA.png

Speaking of work, Gallus was chagrined at the thought of it. He wasn't opposed to hard work if he needed or felt it deserved or needed but he made  a habit of not appearing to be too intrusively active when it came to work and this reputation was one he was planning to rigidly reinforce like a shack in a storm no matter the cost. Well, maybe not around Silverstream. He didn't want to let her down and he knew that without some cider in their talons that this whole endeavor would leave a bitter taste in their mouths. And he wasn't talking about his lack of brushing. "Uggh, I guess," he said with a barely hidden frustration, eyes a-rolling as he responded to the Chancellor. He landed next to him. "I mean, I already have nothing else to do now, so I guess it can't hurt. Where do you want me?" He asked, loosening up his muscles for whatever labor of love- no, not love. Labor of thirst- that the royal had in mind for the two.

The orders were made clear. Help repair the press. Awesome. He had never done anything like it before and he was thirsty and annoyed and Silverstream was here. What was a kitten to do in these trying times? Like most of his life, fake it until he made it. He approached the press, nodding towards it as he waited for his partner in cider crime to appear next to him. "Two pairs of talons are better than one I guess. Anything in any of the books you read about repairing cider presses? If only they needed our help with plumbing, right?" He said with a laugh as bent down to inspect the press, trying to piece together what had been done before and what else needed doing as the hippogriff settled in with him. If they were gonna work, might as well get to it!

• Like 2

LHoNTYo.jpg

"Hm." Taira perked up as Apple Bloom spoke up behind him, "Oh! Yes. Two bits and a mug." He inhaled swiftly and then exhaled two clouds of minty green smoke. The clouds  zipped off to the table with clean mugs, one being taken up and brought right over to the sturdy looking Kirin. In the meantime, the other wisp zipped off to snag a few bits from bag he'd left by his workstation back at the treadmill. Once their tasks had been done the smoke dissipated harmlessly into the open air while Taira placed the bits on the counter, "Thank you, Miss Applebloom!"

While the filly got to work, Taira was content to resume his talks with the princess. "Oh? I had hoped I made a good impression on her. I think we both enjoyed the chance to share our experiences over the years."

Luna's concern for her subjects made the old spirit smile. No wonder these sisters had ruled for so long! It wasn't often one found monarchs who genuinely cared for their subjects in his experience, all the better that those in Equestria were so long lived. "A bit of a hardheadedness can be a very admirable quality!" Said the eager old yokai, "As for what brought me here... it was equal parts curiosity and contract. I made a wager with the current winner of the running of the leaves and I lost. So, I resolved to work for her and aid her family's farm." Once Applebloom brought the kirin his drink he would give her yet another thanks and then tilt his head as if realizing something that only puzzled him further. He'd come to realize he'd already had one drink of cider today and that was amazing... but now there was a shortage. Getting a second drink somehow felt greedy to him. 

"Your highness, Did you happen to hear anyone who might be especially desperate for a drink of Cider? I'd already had one today and with it in such short supply, I'd feel guilty if I drank two cups... Have you had any yet?"

Taira's ears perked at the sound of his name being spoken, Blueblood had mentioned working on the presses... How fun! He'd been on the treadmill already most of the day. It would be a welcome change of pace!

• Like 4

post-1908-0-71650300-1401605331.png

The alicron would smack her lips as well at the mention of pie. "An apple pie would hit the spot," she would say smacking her lips as well. "Recently in the Dream Realm...there have been few nightmares that garner my intimidate attention. As for odd..." she would giggle. "Your brother's dreams are some of the most entertaining, though they are confidential." As she began to develop a sweat, Luna would pull her flowing mane into a ponytail as she continued to levitate fresh mugs, ready to be filled to Apple Bloom. Though it was work, she always enjoyed her time with Apple Bloom. "Next year, we must do this again-Sir those mugs are not souvenirs!" she would say rather firmly to pony trying to abscond with an empty mug.

"While we are on the subject of sweets," Luna would say looking to Taira, "While Celestia may be fond of cake, I am a pie pony." she would say with a smile. "Perhaps once today has finished, you would like to join myself and Apple Bloom for refreshments? Perhaps some Coffee dark as night as well?" Luna looked over to the filly and raised an eyebrow. "Apple Bloom, art thou aloud to have coffee?"

Luna would sigh at Taira's question and point a hoof at the pink hippogriff. "She is the most deserving creature here of a cup of cider. After all she has gone through the last few days just to attempt to get a sip of cider...yet she keeps coming back with her friend." She would pause a moment looking over to Sliverstream and Gallus. "She is not the most...coordinated though. You may wish to hoof deliver it to her."

• Like 2

2167948.png

Silverstream was a little confused as to why things around her seemed to be a little dysfunctional, but once Applejack had left, the archchancellor seemed to have the right idea in mind and began delegating orders to everyone around him. His tone of voice did not leave room for any negotiating, but it also didn't offer any reason to. "Oh. Um, OK." Silverstream hovered towards the pile of treadmill parts and looked around at all of them. She was bewildered. Gallus had asked her in jest if she had read anything about cider presses. "No, nothing about cider presses, I'm not sure I can be much of help."

Silverstream began rummaging through the parts and pulled out some tools such as a screwdriver, wrench and hammer. She taloned to Gallus the wrench. "This is a quarter-hoof wrench, we can't use it. We need at least three-eighths-hoof wrench, preferable one that ratchets. See if you can find one over there, Gallus." She pointed in the rubble closer to Gallus. She had no idea what she was doing, but she still knew how to identify the parts she was seeing. "I can see a rubber mallet, too. This claw hammer I have wont do us any good with these parts, they look mostly wooden. Wouldn't want to splinter any new parts." She threw the hammer to the side and started looking at the integrity of the parts. A few rummages of her claws later, and she pulled out a cog which had cracked teeth. "This looks like it might need to be replaced. Anyone know where we can get some wood?" She asked in a short radius, not giving pun to the idea that literally thousands of trees where lined up in an organized grid for as far as the eye could see.

• Like 1

Taira might end up being disappointed that Blueblood ultimately just wanted them both back on the treadmills, which would become apparent as soon as he stepped on one himself.  "You can take a break, old friend, but we'll both need to keep this going, at least until the end of the day.  I received my share of a few days ago, in case you were wondering; my recompense is claimed."  And with that, the Prince got to work, turning the working press as it took in apples and gave out cider.

Auntie Luna and Applebloom were out of his view, from where he stood, but he felt that he could trust the pair of them.  The young crusader was in her element as an Apple, after all.  Luna, while unseen, was not unheard, and he appreciated her care for Silverstream.  It was nice that at least somepony shared his paternal feelings over his students.

Speaking of, he could see both Gallus and Silverstream from where he stood.  While he was quickly becoming aware that neither of them were experts in the matter of press repair specifically, the hippogriff at least showed a surprising degree of knowledge regarding mechanics.  "I believe there's some spare lumber by the shed!"  He called out to the pair from where he was power-walking.  "I don't think Applejack would appreciate you cutting down her trees!"  Hopefully he could be heard clearly over the creaking of machinery; disaster might arise from misinterpretation.

After a good bit of work put in by all, the Prince was beginning to feel the heat.  The summer was entering its dog days, and the sweat was starting to show on his hide.  His figure was well-sculpted, though more from exercise than by labor; he would have made a fine sight nonetheless to any pony with an appreciation for stallions.  "I say, Bellissima.  Could you bring us some water now?"  He turned his head to the resting singer, trying not to pant like a dog.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

81KtqmA.png

Gallus was already regretting every decision that he had made that led up to this point. He was anything but mechanically inclined. Somecreature told him to hit this with a hammer or pull that lever and he could do it. Especially so if it was around his friends, no use complaining about things then. But this cider press? Well, i seemed simple enough. At least he hoped it was as simple as all that since Silverstream was being very claws on with it. Good, good for her. She was waaaaaaay more likely to know what to do than he was. She seemed to have this weird fascination with books regarding mechanical topics and other random, kinda weird but very useful things. He just didn't expect to be needing to rely on her skills at Applejack's farm of all places. Whatever. It wasn't like they weren't getting paid for their labor in drinks so if he was gonna be a wrench kitten, a wrench kitten he would be.

"Got it," he said, more then a little mildly impressed by her knowledge and drive. She really attacked the problem, right? Must be the guilt from dropping the cider. Which, ya know, was totally on her and she needed to make it up to him, though he wouldn't say that bit out loud. She motioned to a pile of rubble and told him to go looking for a three-eights-hoof wrench, a ratcheting one. He barely understood Equestrian measuring systems but he'd give it the good ol' eagle eye. He started rummaging through the pile, looking out namely for a wrench and then bothering to size it up. He did spot a field mouse which had hid deep inside of the pile. Lucky son of a fish. He was very hungry and a nice, juicy field mouse would satisfy him almost immediately. But no, he had to live among the ponies. Besides, the mouse probably knew Fluttershy. While staring at the mouse hungrily he caught a glimpse of what certainly looked like a three-eighths hoof wrench with ratcheting or whatever.

"Run," Gallus said as he reached in with his front paw. The mouse fled in terror as the catbird grabbed the wrench with claws extended, ensuring a better grip. Gallus, seemingly successful, hovered over to Silverstream. "Got you a present," he teased before laying it down next to her. "It's a three-eigths-hoof ratcheting wrench. I think. Is it?" he shrugged. It was the one wrench he found so it would have to do. "Hey, I'm gonna get the wood. Need anything special?"

REvxA6F.png

Apple Bloom had to stop herself from asking a million questions. She wanted to know what her brother's dreams were about. Apple Bloom could certainly take some educated guesses. Some probably involved Sugar Belle. Those ones were probably the most awkward to see but she'd guess that Luna was used to the content of those. But knowing Big Mac, he probably had Alicorn Princess dreams sometimes. Maybe a few about carnivorous apples taking their vengeance upon ponies. She knew she had a few of those herself! So she had a million questions, but knew better than to ask them. She would have to settle for one, just one. 

"Mah brother, eh?" She smiled as she did a bit of the two bits mug, "anythin' ya don't mind spillin'?" She asked with an impish look on her face. Hey, anything she could use as fun familial blackmail was good for her! "Yer welcome!" She said to the kirin. Mighty fine friend this Taira was turning out to be. "Hopefully it's livin' up ta yer fantasies, right?" She said with a laugh as she continued working alongside the Princess of the Night. She had so many pie ideas for the pie Princess that by the time she was done feeding her she'd have to rethink the stocking of the royal kitchen 'cause if it wasn't ingredients Apple family pie, it wouldn't be worth stocking!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

g1MfaYD.png

The heavy flapping of uncoordinated wings filled the air as a black feathered flyer slowly came into view. Upon closer inspection, any vigilant individuals would notice a white furred griffon with with black stripes across her form trying to spot a decent place to land. The immense open field nearby was apparently was not big enough though, the sloppy flier coming in too fast as she crashes into the ground, tearing up part of the field as she flops over on her back and slides to a stop. Her red eyes peer up into the sky as she watches the clouds meander about slowly in the sky. The odd griffoness lets out a sigh and spreads her wings wide across the ground, resting peacefully. After a moment of silence, she yawns and retracts her wings, rolling over to her claws as she shakes off the dirt from her form. A few green grass stains pepper her black and white form as she recovers from her gnarly crash and stretches out her body.

After a moment of awkward silence, the griffon lets out a surprised squawk as she remembers why she came to this city at all! "Cider," she declares excitedly to nobody in particular, looking around and not spotting any immediately. After a moment of fruitless searching, she spots two other griffons playing around with some tools, and narrows her eyes as she tries to prowl over to their location. Assuming they were not completely asleep as she landed, her goofy hopping into bushes would be completely ineffective as burst out of one and landed between the pair, puffing her chest out as she tried to look over the two griffons as confidently as she could, her talons shaking with excitement as she struggled to keep her overwhelming excitement from bubbling over!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2167948.png

"Oh." Silverstream looked down at the wrench. "Good. Yes, that'll do." The wrench was a five-sixteenths hoof wrench with ratcheting which didn't seem to work properly, probably because the tool was well used. She was sure the griffin tried hard to find what she asked for, it was more likely that the apple farm hadn't organized their toolsets in a while than Gallus being completely incompetence. At least that's what she told herself. "See this broken cog wheel?" Silverstream held up a splintered wooden cog up, that was about the size of her head. "We'll need a piece of wood that is big enough to carve a replacement part in this exact shape. If you can, try and find some hardwood. If you can't, I'm sure a nice balsa wood would be fine." Silverstream said as she looked down at the rest of the treadmill parts, trying to fit different pieces to get an idea of how this thing could be put back together.

Cider press #3 repair: 80%

• Like 1