(COMPLETED) No good deed goes unpunished... (Manehattan outskirts)

Ashton

"This is only the main deck, there are still the lower decks" he explained, motioning for magnus to follow him down the stairs "As you saw before, these are the crew quarters, you can take any hammoc that's not taken -check the locker under it to make sure it's unlocked and empty- and at the bow is the stage for Last Hour" he explained "likewise you saw the galley and mess hall earlier, the ovens and stoves are heated using the main engines to conserve fuel - you can only enter hte engines through the control room on top of the ship for security and safty reasons" he explained. After a momentary pause he added "as long as you behave responsibly, the captain doesnt keep tabs on the alcohol supply, just make sure you dont drink all the bourbon, or things might get ugly"

As with the main deck, there were a few creatures around, relaxing or sleeping in the hammocks, though nothing particularly exciting. He headed towards the next set of stairs, waiting on magnus

Magnus followed the other unicorn through the next deck, frowning slightly at the sleeping accommodations. They were about what he expected from a ship this size, but still. He was not looking forwards to actually sleeping here. He raised an eyebrow at the mention of a Last Hour, curious what that was all about. 

“Who, or what, is this last hour? Why is there a stage for it?” He asked after they finished the rest of the deck, standing near the stairs to the next level. 

"You'll find out tonight, It happens last hour before bed, unless we're under attack everyone attends... everyone..." he repeated himself to make sure that magnus understood this wasn't optional.

Going lower, they reached a large open deck with the walls all covered in weapons and several armor stands, with a small reinforced door at the end and even an area roped off into a sparing arena "This is the armory" he explained "your free to use any of the weapons for either practice or battle" he explained "Through the door is the smithy, it also gets its heat from the ship's engines. Unless you have skill in working metal you'll probably never go back there"

The racks held all manner of weapons, from spears and sword to bows and scimitars, all shapes and sizes of weapon were here, Harle had enough weapons to outfit a small army.

Singlestone headed for the final flight of stairs, waiting for Magnus

Well, that answered almost nothing. He sighed slightly, going down the stairs to see the weapon deck. Well, at least now he knew there was a place to keep his skills sharp, he’d make good use of this area, that was for sure. 

Magnus nodded in approval before moving along with Singlestone to check out the next deck. Probably the last one, judging by how far down they’ve already gone. 

They reached the bottom of the ship, and there was a fense that separated all the cargo from the rest of the area, which was locked, as well as another door in the opposite direction, also locked.

"This is the cargo bay" explained singlestone "we keep any ancillary supplies here, Myself, Harle, and the first mate all have keys if there arises a situation where you need something" he paused, nodding at the door "That is the door to my laboratory, you'll find me there most nights working on my many different experiments" he paused "So, do you have any questions?"

Magnus nodded to himself, looking at the supplies he could see from where he was. He eventually looked back over at Singlestone as the tour ended. 

“What kind of experiments?” He asked, glancing at the door to the lab. 

i;m a magitech engineer" he explained "i'm the one who designd and built the captains lightning gun" he smiled a little, clearly proud of that "I also work on upgrades for the ship, though thos are few and far between"

“I see. Well, thank you, I believe I’m good now.” Magnus said, nodding a bit at that answer. There would have to be an engineer on board to keep the engine maintained. At least he wasn’t a medical doctor doing experiments, especially on a partially captive group of subjects. “I suppose I shall see you later.”

With that done, he began heading off to claim a hammock and then spend some time in the practice area. 

Singlestone watched magnus go, making a mental note to talk to him more in-depth later, it was clear something was nagging at the new crew-member, but he couldn't tell what... perhaps it was just the change of joining the crew... but he wasn't so sure...

-----

several hours later, after dark and around ten o'clock, magnus would hear the horns bellowing and the whole crew began making their way down to the quarters, he could hear them as they passed him talking about 'last hour' apparently he was going to see what this nonsense was all about now...

Magnus looked over at the crew passing by after he heard the horns, sighing as he heard what it was likely about. He supposed he may as well go this time, he was curious about what it was. He sheathed his blades after his training session, not really having anything else to do with his time yet, before heading off towards that stage to see what all the fuss was about. 

As he arrived he would notice that nearly everyone there had a few old tomatoes and also a small pile of coins... likely the point of it was starting to be more clear.

"Hey, there you are, gov" said Harle as she walked near, apparently her accent wasn't quite 100% fake - just mostly... "sorry about earlier, this and that and stress" she shook her head "but luckily everything cleared up in time for Last hour, wouldn't miss it for the world"

while everyone was finding their beds or seats, it seemed there was a short window where Magnus could talk to harle again before everything started.

Magnus looked around at the various items that the others had brought with a slight hum. His thoughts were interrupted by Harle’s words, and he looked over at her as she finished. 

“What exactly is going on? Singlestone said almost nothing about what last hour was.” He asked, looking back towards the stage. 

Harle chuckled "You'll see" she said "dont worry, I wont make you go on right away" she reached into her satchel and handed magnus three old tomatos and a hoofull of coins "if you like what the bloke's doing, you toss some coin, if you dont like it, you toss the tomahto, pretty self-explanatory really" she said "and dont worry, I get barrels of old tomahtos for free, so its no waste"

The first act was a classic, it was a pony on stage with a series of wine glassed all filled to different levels with water and as he ran his hoof around the edge it made a sound... but the sound and the accompanying 'music' was so off-key that he got a lot of 'boo!'s and mostly tomato thrown at him...

((Also just to clarify, Harle has a British vocabulary but not a British accent, so you'll see her use words like 'gov' and 'bloke' and 'fish n chips'  but not speak in the actual accent itself.))

Oh great, a daily talent show. Not like that’s going to get old fast. He sat down in place, watching as the first thing started. Well, this was going great so far. He tossed something at the stage that initially looked like a coin, until it hit the stage with a splat and revealed itself as a tomato. 

• 2 weeks later...

Harle smirked and nodded "dont blame ya, It sounded worse than a cat screeching and I should know" she chuckled

The next act was a little unusual, as it seemed to be a griffon dressed as a stage magician, doing slight-of-claw magic. Of course given the type who would join a pirate crew, it was likely that this bird was, or at least used to be, a pickpocket or some other trickster where slight-of-claw came in extremely handy.

The bird pulled out a deck of cards, shuffling them with quite a flourish, then drew a card and showed it to the audience asking them to remember it. he then shuffled the deck and spread it out on the nearby table so they could see it was an ordinary deck, and after a dramatic 'choosing' of the card, held up the same one that he had chosen the first time.

The crowd clapped and a few coins were tossed... then as the bird took a bow, about twenty of the same card fell out of his sleeves...

Now the cheers turned to boos and the tomatoes started flying...

Harle just put her claw to her face and shook her head...

Magnus was wary of this new act. He knew this kind of magic always had a trick behind it. And sure enough, the trick soon enough revealed itself. He simply sighed, shaking his head. If it had been done well, he could’ve gotten away with it. The whole point was misdirection, just like his magic and all illusions. 

After the "mage" left the stage (and somepony floated out a broom to sweep off most of the tomatoes...) the final act showed up. This was an interesting change, it was a pony in full clown costume and makeup, who seemed a bit nervous but proceeded to do various, very basic, tumbling tricks, and finished off by (quite obviously) faking slipping on a tomato.

surprisingly the crowd went wild and coins were thrown onto the stage by the hoof-full and claw-full, even harle tossed several coins herself, which seemed a bit odd given the previous acts had mostly garnered tomatoes and were much more involved.

Magnus hummed slightly at the new act, not totally sure what to make of it. But, all in all it was probably the best of the three, so he tossed a single coin up on stage. He wasn’t entirely sure why it had garnered so much of a reaction from the others, but he wasn’t going to complain about it. 

Looking around at the crowd, he had to wonder how many more of them would be heading up there. Likely not all, or they would be here for quite some time. 

The cheering continued for several minutes until the clown left the stage, and the applause continued even after that for a short time

"you have no idea how long it took up to convince that bloke to do it" explained harle to magnus "he's better than that, he could easily be the star attraction of a circus, and he loves it. It makes me feel good to see the crew getting to do what they love, if only for a little bit" she was smiling quite a bit and her eyes glistened like there were a few unspilt tears in them, she really, truely, did care for her crew, even if her gruff exterior did not show it.

After a few minutes harle sighed "welp, that it, three a night" she explained to magnus before turning "ALRIGHT YOU SLOBS GET IN YOUR BUNKS AND IF i HEAR ANY TALKING i'LL CUT OUT YOUR TONGUES!"

"AYE-AYE CAPTAIN!"

despite the rather harsh threat, none of the crew seemed too concerned and several whispered some things as they were getting any remaining weapons or clothing off and climbing into their hammocks

"So any last questions from you before we all shove off to sleep?" she asked magnus

Well, at least that part made sense in this strange show. Magnus hummed as he watched Harle almost cry, looking away to watch the rest of the crew get ready for bed. 

“No, I believe I’ve got it well in my grasp right now. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then.” He said, sighing slightly before heading off towards the hammock he had picked out earlier to prepare to sleep. 

Harle nodded, walking to the stairs before turning and announcing, likely for magnus' benefiet "REMEMBER YOU SCALAWAGS, BREAKFAST IS AT 9! IF YOUR LAZY AND OVERSLEEP NO FOOD!"

"AYE-AYE CAPTAIN!" though the response was a little less enthusiastic

And so began a new chapter in both the lives of magnus, and those of Harle and her crew.

The_End.png