Sea Salt and Sugar

SirAizen

Candy Cane had a problem - well, another problem for his growing list of issues. It had nothing to do with his private life (for once) and everything to do with his job as a traveling confectioner. Candy was. . . Losing his touch, it would seem. He absolutely loved making candy, of course, and still had a thing for putting on shows for kids, of course, but that wasn't the issue. No, Cane was starting to lose his creative touch, it would seem. He grew tired of making the same things for kids and adults - boring pieces of run-of-the-mill candy, or the same old models of Ponyville, Canterlot, or the surrounding towns and cities. Heck, even the dangerous places were getting old, and that was saying something! Candy was lacking a new form of inspiration, and he needed to do something about it.

That was why he was currently in Baltimare, looking for someone to assist him with sea travel. The pink-haired stallion didn't have his cart with him currently - he'd left it just outside of the docks. He was wearing a large pack instead, which was filled with books and ingredients. He didn't plan on doing much cooking on this trip, though. . . This was a scenic trip to another part of Equestria. Candy was looking to get some inspiration from faraway lands he'd never been to. Why not hop on a boat that led to who-knows-where and go for it, then? Candy was excited for this. A little too excited, some might say. . . The stallion had scared off most of the sailors up till now. He harassed them with requests to take him for trips to anywhere, going on and on about the amazing things he imagined he'd see. It didn't help that he was talking too fast for most of them to understand what he was saying, either.

Right now, Candy was just sitting under the shade of one of the larger vessels, waiting for someone that looked remotely like a sailor to pass him by. "Oh, dear," the stallion murmured, eyes on the ground. "I think I've run out of energy to search. . . Welp." Cane reached into his pack, pulling out a large a large, green-swirled lollipop and took a large bite out of it. He glanced up and down the dock, checking to see if anybody was approaching. Someone would be along any moment now. . . He just knew it. When that happened, he'd pounce. . . No, wait. He'd approach them in a civil manner. "Yes - that sounds better," he murmured aloud, before taking another bite.

20191104-185002-100x100.png

A relatively small sea-green stallion in a wind-swept sandy-blonde mane pushed a cargo crate large enough for him to stand in across the dock. The crate had a red sakura blossom stamped on the side. It was headed for Neighpon. It wasn't one of his more common routes, but certainly one of his favorites. As he pushed, he thought what fun it might be to have somepony to sail with. "I should post a wanted ad in the tavern." he thought, aloud. Referring to the one place most sailors and experienced passengers go to find work, or routes. But then, he realized, he'd have to wait for a response. He kind of wanted to leave now, while the winds were favorable. Just then, he noticed a rather excited-looking pony he didn't recognize sitting, looking about, next to his boat. He smiled "Or," he started "perhaps, I don't need to." he'd been in his line of work long enough, he recognized a pony looking for a "boat to anywhere" like the back of his hoof. It was really a stroke of luck he'd chosen this particular dock. Most of those folks found the docks on the other side of town. Those sailors were always more than happy to take an extra passenger for a price. Here, the sailors were mostly grumpy and anti-social. In fact, Windward was only here cause his client insisted they met here to sign off his cargo, and then left in a hurry.

He decided he'd push the last crate onto the deck first before talking to the pony. He figured he should have his hooves free so he could give this pony his full attention. As he pushed his crate toward the boat, he had no clue the pony was planning to make first contact.

• Like 1

Candy was in the process of finishing his lollipop when he noted a small stallion nearby, moving a crate across the dock. Well, that meant a couple things. Either they worked on the dock, or they were a sailor. . . Well, better to go and see than sit there not knowing, eh? The pink-maned stallion stood up, before attempting to calmly walk over and start speaking with them. Unfortunately, with the amount of sugar Candy had just consumed (which wasn't all that much, in all honesty), he was soon running once more, skidding to a stop in front of the sea-green fella. "You there!" he shouted a little louder than necessary, taking another step forward. "Would you happen to be a sailor, by any chance? If so, you're in luck! The name's Candy Cane, here to employ you!" He put out a hoof to shake, grinning. "Glad to suddenly make your acquaintance, lad!"

• Like 1

Windward jumped at the sudden introduction, nearly falling on his haunches. The pony had come at him, practically tackling him in his enthusiasm. Windward smiled and chuckled a little bit remembering how he'd been as a child with his father. Not a whole lot different than this.

He'd asked him a simple enough question, and offered employment. Windward decided he'd make it interesting for the stallion.

He hoped it wasn't going to turn him off, but judging by the docks he was on and his he'd introduced himself here, Windward figured he wasn't having much luck.

"Well, as it turns out, mister Cain, you're right. I am in luck. I was just thinking I was going to need a deckhoof. Have you been to Neighpon? I was just finishing getting set to go. You can come, free of charge, if you agree to be my right-hoof pony for the trip. Don't worry, I don't bite... often." he smiled at the pony trying to appear friendly. While he was mostly just giving him a way to feel useful on the ship, he really was grateful he might have some help. While it was possible for him to sail this ship by himself, it certainly doesn't hurt to have some help.

"Of course, if you'd rather, you can come as a passenger, but you will need your own papers." that was another thing, he'd just realised. If he came as crew, he would be covered by Windward's merchant papers. Otherwise, he'd need his own.

"If you don't mind my asking, what has you leaving the harbor in such a hurry?" then he added quickly, while still sounding natural "Whatever it is, you'll be safe on my boat." He gestured Candy to his boat so they could finish their conversation on deck while he got the crate in place. 

• Like 1