The Honor of a New Guard (Pyro, Blueblood's Honor Guards)

Blueblood

It only takes a moment to make an offer, another moment to accept, but the real work must come after to actually make it work.  Every diplomat had to learn that lesson sooner or later, and Blueblood was nothing if not an experienced diplomat.  Always keeping an eye out for martial talent, he, or to be more specific, Princess Bluebelle had scouted one Tiger Blood while at a Hearthswarming Party hosted by Twilight Sparkle.  She had made the offer, and he had accepted.  

But things were not that simple.  As the Honor Guard of House Platinum were a part of the household, , just arranging room and board for another permanent resident was a matter in and of itself.  Then, of course, there was the registering and background check, and on top of that was locating the wandering stallion once all things were arranged.

But today, everything was taken care of.  Well, almost everything.  Tiger still needed to be introduced to the other members of Blueblood's honor guard, as well as fitted with whatever equipment needed in the course of his duties.  The Prince awaited his arrival in a room used for weapon practice adjacent to the back garden in his Canterlot manor.

• Like 2

Well, things had certainly been interesting during the transition to this new position. He had accepted partly because Ponyville seemed like a great town, partly because Bluebelle seemed like a good pony to work  with, and partly because she was one good-looking pony. After getting everything settled back home, he had been mostly hanging around Ponyville, getting a better feel for the place. 

Now though, it seemed his destination was actually Canterlot. Oh well, it was no big deal really. Strolling along the road, he eventually made it to the building he was supposed to meet his new employer at. He made his way through the building, ending up in what looked like a training room with a somewhat familiar unicorn in it. 

“Sup. I’m here for the guard job stuff.” He said, giving a wave to the other stallion. 

• Like 1

"Do not speak to the prince in such a manner." A mare's voice from above. There flew a pegasus, who was looking down at the brown stallion. She drifted down and landed gently between him and the prince. "You will speak in a respecful, formal tone while you are on guard duty. Especially to the prince." Her voice was muffled by her mask but still carried the sharpless of a blade. The mask of shiny metal construction, polished, but still scarred from heavy use. She wore a breastplate, a pink puffy shirt, blue and red breeches, and a hat with a puffy red feather. On her belt were a sword and blucker.

"Now, state why you are here. This time with dignity." She commanded.

Blueblood had been about to step forward to greet Tiger, when suddenly one of his guards dropped in between them, reprimanding his informal attitude.  Considering what the Prince's own relationship with Dunnie was, her attitude was rather surprising to him.  But then, technically, he'd recruited her after they had been friends for some time.  His other guards did maintain a more formal, or at least more subdued, attitude.

And, after all, he wasn't the one having to live with the "new guy" in the bunkhouse.  Perhaps this was a matter of establishing pecking order?  Or just hazing the new recruit, he didn't know.  What he did know was that how Tiger would react to this injunction would be important to know.  After all, being a Prince's honor guard did involve being formal, especially at official diplomatic functions.  Therefore, the unicorn took a step back, raising a singular eyebrow as he looked at Tiger.  What would the other stallion do?

• Like 1

Tiger raised an eyebrow at the new mare, looking the pegasus over for a few moments before giving a small snort. "As I said, I'm here for the guard job. Bluebelle offered it to me at a Hearthswarming party. Is she your twin, Prince? You two look pretty similar." He said, leaning around the pegasus to look at the stallion more closely. They really did look similar... And considering what he saw when that other pony kissed Bluebelle before him...

"Unless you're actually the same pony. If so, nice to see you again, Prince." He smiled slightly, giving Blueblood another nod.

• Like 1

She half turned away from the stallion, giving him less space to look over her at the prince. "So you are both blind and deaf." The pegasus reached up to take off her mask. After removing it and setting it on the floor, she looked back to the brown stallion. "I am Dunnie Blust, of Prince Blueblood's honor guard." She stated, "Everything you say and do will be taken into account for your entry into this retinue." She reached back up and put the mask back on with a metallic clink. "Now, state your name, where you are from, and why you are here whilst commanding dignity and respect. Else you will be disqualified from entry on the grounds of being blind, deaf, and dumb."

Blueblood was slightly taken aback; given how public his transformation had been made by this point, he was surprised now to see ponies that hadn't heard of it.  Still, it was a possibility he had accounted for, and he nodded.  "Yes, indeed, we are one and the same.  It is one of the things you will have to take into account as a part of my honor guard-"

It was here that Dunnie cut in, and the Prince had to try very hard to keep a straight face.  He knew her well enough by now to know when she was seriously upset, or just seriously trolling, and he didn't want to interfere with her own work.  Let the reveal come on her time.  "And yes, Dunnie here will acclimate you to most of the rest, but there are a few things that we'll have to discuss up front.  Being a royal honor guard is not the same thing as a regular guard post; I will ask things of you that normal military commanders will not, put you in situations most officers will never face, and expect you to put on a shining public front all the while.  I think you have potential, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to invite you, but it's only right that you know what you'll be getting yourself into before you fully commit."

Well, look who was calling who dumb. He had answered that question twice already. Still, the other two seemed fair enough. He waited for both to finish speaking before responding. 

“As I’ve said twice now, the Prince offered me a job, and I am here to accept the position. My name is Tiger Blood, I’m originally from a Hesperian town. If you want to know more recently, I have been living in Beakbreak. Nice to meet you, Dunnie.” He responded to Dunnie, looking over at her as he spoke. Next he looked at Blueblood to respond to his words. “I’m sure I can handle it, especially after some practice.”

"You have spoken with the conviction and poise of a deflating balloon." She eyed the stallion, "Though, you have spoken with a modicum of decency on your third attempt, so I will nod disqualify you outright." She stepped back, moving to rejoin Blueblood at where he was standing, "As said, you will need to present yourself respectfully to the public. As well as foreign and domestic officials. You will be scrutinized for how you carry yourself and how you speak. Combat prowess and the appropriate behavior are equally as necessary. If this does not appeal to you, then you are dismissed."

As much as Blueblood knew that Dunnie was taking a bit of an artificially harsh position, she did have a point.  Tiger was showing a bit less... how could the Prince put it, orderly confidence?  Part of the reason that Blue had asked Tiger to become a part of his honor guard was that he sensed a devil-may-care confidence that could be refined into something truly exceptional.  Perhaps this was the time to make that clear.

"As Dunnie said, you will be asked to inhabit a role that calls for more outward assurance than you may feel your competence and experience justifies.  Joining a Royal Honor guard means starting at the deep end, and being willing to tolerate theatrics being as important as 'real' combat and policy.  Much like being born a Prince, if it comes to that.  Your duties will be an extension of my own life, in most if not all respects.  That is what you are letting yourself in for.  If you will commit to this, at the risk of your life and sacred honor, I will welcome you aboard and place you under the command and supervision of Dunnie and Captain Star Crusader for onboarding and training.  Do you accept?"

It was repetitive, he knew.  But given how many diplomatic functions and garden parties he had to attend with ponies having much influence with little intellectual firepower to speak of... well, Tiger had better get used to it now.

Tiger sighed internally, cracking his neck a bit as he listened to the two talk. When they were both done, he rolled his shoulders before speaking again. 

“Of course I can handle it, and it’ll only get easier. I can handle anything you can throw at me. When do we start?” He said, looking at the two confidently. 

Dunnie raised an eyebrow. She gave a sidelong glance to Blueblood. The stallion seemed committed to this, so she would have to be too. She stayed close to Blueblood. She looked back to Tiger, "Alright, alright." The sharpness in her tone dropped. "If you are serious about joining you will have to be serious about the rest of it. Ettiquette included." She stated, "And, of course, if you do not learn, we will have to give you the boot."

Blueblood relaxed himself, finally, now that commitment was demonstrated and confirmed.  "Very good!  I personally don't think that will be necessary, Dunnie.  I've got a feeling that Tiger has something extraordinary for us, if we can be a little patient while he learns the niceties."  Having said that, he reached out to shake Tiger's hoof.  "Technically, we can begin today.  I haven't really come up with a formal induction ceremony, it will just be a matter of fitting for your armor, getting your lodgings set up, and arranging your training schedule.  Honestly, most of that is going to be arranged by the guards themselves; I try not to micromanage my Honor Guard when I don't need them for a particular duty, so if you're not accompanying me or on a mission, you'll be spending most of your time with them.  Speaking of which, there are a few others I ought to introduce you to, follow me."

With that, he turned around, opening the door to the back garden...

Spoiler

Gonna PM the players of Bluey's other guards, see if they'll show up.

• Like 2

As the door opens the sound of a mare shouting can be heard. Yet, not a scream of fear but enjoyment as an unicorn maid can be seen shooting up in the air. Below her laying on his back was the beast known as a sphinx. Far larger than a yak or even the royal sisters it was juggling the main in the air. Launching her skyward with his paws as two pegasus maids stay close just in case. Yet his aim was true, every time she came back down a large powerful paw met her to send the mare skyward again. And it seems she wanted this given her cries of enjoyment and waving at the two flying maids. 

And like all maids given to this sphinx they were dressed oddly. Not like modern maids like the servants of ancient times. They even had on makeup styled after his ancient homeland to match the clothing. A small taste of his lost home to make the sphinx more relaxed in this odd modern time. “Hello! … Blue!” He spoke in a very heavy accent, his words heavy hoofed. Yet he was getting better at speaking to others in this new language. A useful skill as nopony but Blue can understand him otherwise. “Day… Very good. Yes?” He added as the maid landed on a paw and he did not toss her again. His focus now on speaking in the new language he was learning.

• Like 2

The harsh sounds of hooves signaled the presence of a new arrival long before the doors opened. And when they did open, they revealed a pegasus mare of cream coat, and a sunset mane. A thing more handsome, than she was delicate. And that would still be an understatement. In fact, there would be little doubt in truth to say that she was more amazonian or literal-mountain, than she was pony. She was several hooves broader than most stallions across the chest, and still-yet many hooves taller than the average pony placing her at a colossal height to keep her in proportions that describes a mare on first glance. As if nature realized that they must make some sense of the mare's structure. She was gifted with a skeleton work of solid muscle that rippled under the coat of fur with a casual lift of a leg, and faded when it rested. One might be wondering how a mare so massive could fly with comically tiny wings? Nature saw to that as well. She bore proportionally sized, but comparatively massive and muscled pinions. She would not be flying gracefully or quietly like most pegasus. Oh no, she'd beat the very air into submission and glide with the efficiency of an eagle.

Indeed, she certainly looked she was made of harder things than bone, meat, stone, and steel.

The palace captain's uniform she wore still looked tight on her despite it being tailored to fit. And her mane was partly combed to the left. Partly worked into multiple ropes of braids with enough length to hang from her head, and those that were longer yet wrapped around her neck first once, the second twice, and the third - trice and left to hang down to her chest. Her face also seemed sculpted into stone. Not a permanent scowl like a hardened militant might have. But a strange mix of aloofness and attentiveness. And a buck to the face likely would leave it unchanged, and the poor sod who tried down two legs. And that would be assuming if she hadn't realized she has been kicked.

There were also signs of recovering injuries. Medical tape that held wounds close together on her brow. Signs of shallow cuts on the cheek, snout, and neck visible only by the sight of uneven cuts in her otherwise carefully preened coat of fur. And bandage If rumors and descriptions were to be held true, and by the Star Burst cutie mark, this mare was no one else than the Captain of Bluebelle's Honor Guards. Star Crusader. A name befitting a mare who looked quite a lot like a fantasized-depiction of a paladin. And further rumors and speculation suggested that those wounds hadn't exactly slowed her down on her return from EPIC.

Her gaze slowly drifted along the garden, taking in the sights before she got to moving. She moved with a catlike grace that belied her awareness of her size. She had no intentions of bulldozing and shoving her way through what ponies she came across. Though she could for some, she avoided stepping over ponies she past. Her eyes fell on the Sphinx with a hint of curiosity. This being the first time she had seen the creature, and fortunately she was informed about her ahead of time.

Secondly her gaze fell on Tiger. She took in his appearance all together. Picking out details that might allude to his personality, and fitness for the Honor Guard.  but did not display a hint of an opinion. That was likely already handled by...

... the second. The mare paused and blinked when her eyes fell on the third pony. She recognized the outfit, sure enough. The mare would have been alien otherwise outside of the getup. Star Crusader blinked once, then twice, and continued on to Bluebelle.

She paused and gave a bow to the mare, and did not speak till she rose. "I assume the stallion is the one you spoke of, my Prince?"

• Like 4

Prince Blueblood knew that both of his other primary guardians would create an indelible first impression, and he wanted to savor the impact they would have upon Tiger.  It wasn't every day, after all, that one met a sphinx, let alone one that might with a straight face be called "housebroken."  "It is indeed a very good day!"  He called out cheerily, before turning back to his new recruit.  "Tiger Blood, this is Niilavin; I freed him from an ancient tomb in Saddle Arabia.  He won't hurt you, or anypony, really, unless I allow it.  That hasn't proved necessary so far, though!"  Indeed, Equestria had not yet entered the atomic age, so the phrase 'nuclear option' wasn't available as a metaphor for Niil's effect on diplomacy.  Rather, when developed, nukes would likely be called 'the sphinx option.'

And then there was Star Crusader.  A figure only dwarfed by Niil, but still impressive compared to all other ponies, especially up close.  She never failed to impress, especially for Blueblood himself.  He felt his chest swell and his mouth curl up at the sight of her after so long.  He knew that national security demands necessitated him lending her to EPIC for mission duration, and with that came a non-zero chance of her not returning.  Not very far above zero, mind, but it was still there, and it quelled no small amount of anxiety in the Prince to see her back home again.

"He is indeed, Captain.  Tiger Blood, this is Captain Star Crusader, the head of my honor guard."  He paused, briefly wondering if he ought to mention his more... personal relationship with her now.  That would, naturally, also lead into discussing his relationship with Dunnie as well.  That would altogether give a different impression of his... criteria for his guards than he necessarily wanted to project right now.  Not that he'd be able to keep the lax fraternization policy secret for very long, though.

Tiger nodded as Blueblood spoke, shaking the offered hoof. He followed along as they made their way out the back, giving an impressed whistle as the large cat creature came into view. Quite the sight, seeing it toss that pony around like that. Even more so when it spoke in the Equestrian tongue. He nodded a greeting at Niil as they were introduced, looking the sphinx over some more. Before he could say anything, another pony showed up, another pegasus mare at that. Possibly the start of a pattern? Oh well, no matter. 

“Name’s Tiger Blood, nice to meet you both. Looks like I won’t be left wanting for good sparring partners around here, that’s for sure.” He smiled, nodding his greeting to Star Crusader next. Looked like a good place to hang, with these two and a half mares and this large creature. Seemed like fun times overall. 

Niilavin looks over at the new faces, wavering a paw at them before puting his maid/toy down. Rolling over onto his belly he gets up, stretching and yawning showing off his teeth and claws before walking over to blue and eyeing up the other ponies. He’s never seen them before. But he is still very new here so that was not shocking. “Hee… He-low.” He says struggling some with the word. “Ti-ga-blood.” He gets some nooding from his maids as one flies close to his ears and whispers in them. “Helow… hello!” He says with the help of the maid whispering to him. They were doing much of the teaching and he was teaching them his dead language back. It helped make learning more fun as he got to teach them as well. At least he did not have this struggle with Blue, thanks to the magic that made him spell bound to Blue they both understand another perfectly. 

His eyes then fall on Captain Star Crusader. She was big! Biggest pony he’s yet seen. Leaning down to eye her up he speaks in his dead language. “[Master, why is she so big? Is she a hunter as well? What prey?]” He asked, just assuming she must be a predator to be so strong and big. Then he looked over at Dunnie and her mask. Why did she have that on? “[Why must this one hide her face? Is she a leper? Don’t think it is wise to let one walk if so. The curse loves to spread to others and trap them in its dark magic.]” the last for him to inspect was Tiger. “[And this one looks wild, from the lands far away. Or not so far now. They do well in the gladiator arenas of the pegasus lands I am told. Is he for that? He looks strong and fit for such use.]” He remarked looking at Blue to see what all of this was about.

• Like 1

Blueblood chuckled, somewhat bemused at the lack of shock that Tiger Blood displayed at the sight of the amazon and the sphinx.  But then, not being from Equestria, he would likely be more familiar with the dangerous and exotic things in the world.  Better that than one that quailed at the sight of them, especially given the exotic locales that Blueblood would likely be dragging him to over the course of his diplomatic career.  "Well, perhaps they won't hold back with you like they do with me.  I try not to be completely helpless in the face of danger, but handling it is far from my specialty.  I'm sure you'll get along great, though."

Somewhat ironically, the most exotic of the current company was also the most sheltered of the group.  Niilavin would apparently have to be brought up to speed on everything going on, which the Prince did, using the magical translation his amulet gave him.  His question regarding Star Crusader brought a smile to his face, and he found himself subconsciously moving closer to her, practically resting against her side.  "[In a way, yes.  And her prey is me.  Or at least, my heart.]"  He didn't give much thought as to how the predatory cat might take that metaphorical remark.  Too later now.  "[No, Dunnie is not a leper, though honestly I don't know about the mask either.  Maybe just face protection?  I could hardly say from what, though.  As for Tiger, I don't plan to use him as a gladiator, but as a part of my squadron of personal guards.  Though, I suppose he might do that sort of thing in his free time.  There really aren't any arenas for that in this country, though.]"  In fact, Saarvergerg was the only one he knew of, mostly because both Dunnie and Star had been there themselves.

• Like 1

Dunnie walked into the back garden, following close behind Blueblood as they passed the threshold with Tiger Blood. The sun's warmth was welcome on her wings, and her armored glowed softly with its polished sheen. She crouched down low, and stretched her wings out, "Those halls are too air conditioned." She muttered to herself as she finished her stretches. That's when she saw him: the sphynx. It was amazing to see a creature that large, especially one that was sapient and talking. If it weren't for the maids that were floating about the creature, Dunnie would have pulled Bluey to safety. However, nopony was alarmed and neither was Dunnie.

Dunnie didn't even notice Star Crusader arrive until she had already landed and bowed. Dunnie quickly bowed back, "It's good to see you again, Star." She said and grinned behind her mask.

When Blueblood left the side to talk to the spyhx, Dunnie stayed put. "I just got off vacation myself. So I'm trying to adjust back to everything around here. Seems that..." She trailed off, looking around the garden, "...some changes are more surprising."

The mare slowly raised a brow at the name of 'Tiger Blood'. That certainly did not sound like a typical pony name - most certainly not one belonging to an earth pony. The name sounded grim if anything. It was the sort of name that gives the impression to any sensible pony to grab a crossbow before they hear the damning phrase of 'Stand and Deliver'. And that would offer the mare some measure of both doubt and concern. However, if Blueblood had personally vouched for the stallions conduct by giving him an honored position, she will have to simply trust the stallion for now.

The mare turned around and gave the large sphinx a slow bow. "Greetings, Niilavin. My appologies that we had not time to meet before. Perhaps when business is taken care of, we shall find time to speak?" With that she turned that almost perpetually impassive gaze onto Tiger once more. This time, her eyes shifted over the males appearance to take him in as a whole.

There wasn't a lot she could tell that points to experience in the military. The male was far too relaxed. The posture lacked that stiff practiced regimen. And the details of the muscles she could see did not give her any clues to whether or not he had done the long march trainings that were standard. And so nothing could be immediately noted of endurance.

But she will give him credit.  The pony walked with enough grace to be said that he knows some sort of weapon, and likely had enough experience to back what ever training he had for such a confidence. 

Before speaking with the new recruit, she turned to her second and gave a nod, along with a very faint - hardly perceptible smile. "It is good to see you as well Dunder. I do agree that some changes are surprising... but perhaps not the same ones you are observing."

She turned her attention back onto Tiger Blood and gave him one finall look over. Then finally said. "Very well... If you were offered a position by my charge, then I will respect his decision and assume that you have managed to prove your capabilities. The job details being a member of the Prince's honor guard. You are expected to act with dignity, and protect him from the standard harms. Jostlers most likely. Occasionally a pie turned missile. And occasionally that also includes the need to take a knife to the face to protect your lord. The pay is meager - but always ontime. You will naturally have a roof over your head, and will not need to worry about a forced march outside of required PTs. Your uniform will be a standard issue chainmaile, padded barding, with plate. You may wear this uniform in any configuration as long as the plate is in the proper location, and the uniform is undamaged and modified. It can get hotter than tartarus, and colder than a night in Stygia - and you are expected to wear it while on duty."

"If this sounds fine to you, then we will go ahead and get to the paper work and necessary security clearances."

• Like 2

Tiger smiled at Blue’s response, already looking forward to the sparring matches he could have. Before he got too far though, Star grabbed his attention again with more talk of the job itself, explaining the uniform situation. Unfortunate that he couldn’t wear his typical outfit, it was a comfy one and it left him with good freedom of movement. Not too big a deal though, he could make it work. 

“Right, sounds good. I came from Hesperia, I can handle a little heat. And I’m not going to be shying away from any threats.” He nodded, giving a confident smile to the mare before turning back towards Blueblood. “And I could help you learn how to fight back. Learn how to fight for your life, at least.”

• Like 1

Niilavin lets out a deep chuckle as blue explains things. It seems this is one of the guards Blue is rather close with. Well the act of… laying with a guard is still very odd for Niilavin to think about it was what it was. Now if only was another sphinx about. “[You gather an odd host master. I feel not so out of place with such a peculiar line up before me! Shame you have yet to pick up another of my kin to join in this pride of oddballs.]” He says with smirk.

He then looked down at the large mare as she talked to him. He did now bow back, such is not the way of a sphinx. But he did give her a respectful nod of the head. “Helloo…” He trailed off as a flying maid whispers in his ear. “Star.. Cra-Say-Dar. Good… meeting yes. Talk… Not good. But I am of… I do wellcome… Talk… later.” He struggles with the words and grammar. But he was not doing half bad with this language given how new he is to it. His severts being the true heros in his learning as they helped and nuge him to speak in it more and more every day.

• Like 1

If nothing else, it seemed that Tiger Blood would take well to the motley company that Blueblood was assembling around himself.  It was pretty far from the trope of a decorative honor guard all too common in Canterlot; the Prince would swear that much of his fellow nobles chose their guards to match their curtains or begonias.  *What kind of furnishings could possibly coordinate with a sphinx, an amazon, and everypony in between?*  It was a rhetorical question, but some part of his mind was already designing the elephantine architecture of that dream palace.  Definitely not something that could be done in Equestria, though.

He blinked.  *There is another possibility.*  He technically had a weak claim to the Maretonian throne, not that such a ceremonial title would mean anything, as the real power rested in the three major city-states.  Breaking their chokehold and mutual distrust seemed a pipe dream when he first learned of his familial connections.... but perhaps, with the crew he was building around him... *Something I'll have to talk about later, with Star.*  Speaking of which, he stretched up to whisper in her ear before she gave Tiger Blood the lowdown on the job, "Remind me to give you a proper 'welcome home' later."  

With a smile, he stepped out of her way, seeing Tiger Blood accept the role as he answered Niil's remark.  "[I'll let you know when I find one.  Though, you didn't seem to mind when I served as a substitute!]"  As the one pony on the planet who could get away scott free after teasing a sphinx, Blueblood couldn't let any opportunity pass up.

Once his new recruit accepted, Blue gave him a crisp nod, magically taking out the papers he'd stowed on his person.  "Good to hear!  We can also discuss adding you to my sparring rotation; I'm not totally hopeless, but I'd be lying if I said I wanted to go anywhere without at least one of you having eyes on me.  Oh!  Speaking of which, I'll have to tell you all about the next large gathering I'll be at.  It will be in Ponyville; Princess Twilight appointed me as the Archancellor to her School of Friendship, so I've been moving my household and business affairs into the Crystal Castle there for the time being.  I'll be hosting a fundraiser soiree, where I'll be soliciting donations, enrollments, and such.  I think having an eclectic gathering for my entourage will help sell the idea of a multi-national student body.  There's still a few in Canterlot who are a little weirded out by seeing so many different kinds together, particularly when they didn't use to be so friendly with us or each other.  Showing that I put my money where my mouth is in my personal life should prove of great assistance."

That certainly explained his rationale for seeking out a recruit like Tiger Blood; Hesperia was one of the few countries not represented at the school, and no pupil could possibly be more outlandish than a sphinx.  After seeing his Honor Guard, the student body would look like a well-ordered and pleasingly uniform bunch.  Well, once all the students were wearing their spiffy new uniforms!

Edited by PrinceBlueblood
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The mare made a small nod in understanding to the stallion. Her eyes flitted over his form once more, inspecting him one final time before taking a step back and leaving it to the Prince to continue the conversation. The orientation will have to take place on another time. More specifically when the stallion looks more like a soldier after a visit to the quartermaster. "When we are finished here, I'll give you directions to the quartermaster with a requisition form. He will outfit you with a proper uniform and set of armor. Be that a simple gambeson barding, a breastplate and more. You will also be given your choice of one weapon of your preference, certain exotic weapons requires a certification for use. Of course if you have your own weapon, which my understanding is you do, you are allowed to use that."

Her attention turned to the Sphinx now. She... did not quite have the ability to speak her language. And she doubted she would do much better if she could. "Do not worry yourself about how well you can speak. I can piece things together as we talk. And perhaps I in turn will learn a thing or two about your native tongue."

• Like 2