Farm Fresh (Closed: River)

SteelEagle

large.png

It's not too surprising the way Moonlight described Remington and her ability to manipulate him, when you understand she spent a great deal of time with Rarity in the department of flashy presentation and modern mare mentalities. Applejack could yet again begin to lecture Moonlight on the consequences of such actions, but being as she had already preached to her a little bit, and because this was young innocent schoolyard affection, it seemed more appropriate that Applejack keep it to herself for the time being.

As she listened to Moonlight's rambling, she got an idea as to how she could better tap into the young stallion, saying it at the same time Moonlight did. "He can come over for dinner!?" She asked it as a question, but then immediately answered the implication. "Of course he can come over for dinner. If for no other reason, but so that you can come to dinner again. You don't do it nearly as often as you used to." Applejack winked back to her. "So what kind of food does he like? He does like apples right?" She chuckled the deal-breaking question.

Glitterbanner.png

"Yes, thats perfect! He can come over for dinner!"
                                  "He can come over for dinner!?"
Great minds think alike!

For sure!
And indeed, they were great minds. A filly possessed of a singular knowledge of all things right in the world.
The other, a fantastic mare with a heart full of love and a mind full of apples, apple trivia, and apple know how.
Truly great minds. It was bound to be the perfect dinner! 

She nearly squealed when they thought along the same lines of inviting him over. Oh, it would be so perfect and everypony would see what a gentlecolt and kind stallion he was and everypony would compliment her for having such a wonderful taste in ponies.

It came saddled with the mild accusation that she didn’t come over often enough, which was mild if only because it was half-true. She was extremely sociable and it was hard to want to ditch her friends for Applejack and her Apple-based dinners night after night. Okay, that might be an exaggeration in reality but not in her heart and as everypony knows feelings trump facts, especially to a teenage filly. Also, Applejack’s portion sizes were too big. Figure, filly! Think of it!
“I’m sorry, AJ. Like, I have soooo many friends now and they’re totally bitchin’ and, like, I’m reaaallly trying to be the best friend forever. But I’ll try to be more, like, family-ing with my family,” she said as she got back to work, as awful at it as she was.

And speaking of being awful, she wanted to play with her cousin a little. A little payback for all of her moralizing and lecturing and doubting. “Apples?” She said before intaking breath behind some clenched teeth. “Oh, yeah. Like, umm,” she said as she stared at the ground, picking at some leaves absentmindedly before flipping her mane over to cover one half of her face. “He thinks they’re too...yucky, he said. Yeah. Like, I think his exact words were, 'apples are gross, yuck! I'll take bananas any day!'” She said as she started her work back up. “His words, not mine!” She said with a small degree of fear, as if awakening a giant. Whether AJ would get wound up or not Moony didn’t know, but she sure hoped so! Time to spin the axles on the cart and get it flying down the road- or some other countryism that she barely understood that was a metaphor for just riling her cousin up.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The confluence of Moonlight and Applejack's cohesion was intoxicating. It's how she knew Moonlight was a member of the family, or at least, that she spend so much time around the Apples that she could develop such a cohesion. And more to the ear of Applejack, it was pleasant to hear her cousin ask for forgiveness in terms of how much time she plans on spending with her extended family. Familial threats were always very profitable for Applejack. Worst case scenario you don't have to spend time with the ponies that don't like you!

But Applejack was halted in her work as Moonlight changed her tone. She mentioned that Remington was not fond of apples, and it made Applejack snort primitively. However, as Moonlight continued her lackadaisical explanation of Remington's food preferences, it was clear that not only did she not really know, but she was using her answer to leverage a response from the farm pony. If it weren't for the obvious pauses in Moonlight's voice, maybe she would have been fooled, but she was really good at spotting liars, especially amongst those in the family. Luckily for Moonlight, she also identified this situation as nothing more than humorous shenanigans.

Applejack stared in disbelief not at what Moonlight was saying, but how she was saying it. "Really?" Applejack smirked. "Well, I guess if he doesn't like apples, I might as well just call the whole thing off. Which also suggests that maybe you shouldn't even be friends with him. Don't want a member of mah family mingling with the likes of ponies who don't know anything about fruits." Applejack leaned forward into Moonlight who was doing a poor job of whatever apple chore she was doing. "It's a good thing you know a thing or two about fruits though, dontcha Moonlight? Like the difference between those two apples over there." Applejack pointed towards two bushels of apples, both identical in color, size, and texture. "Right, Moonlight?"

large.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Glitterbanner.png

Moonlight laughed quite loudly as her cousin shot back. It was so nice she could still play around with her like this. It was such a special relationship and one that mattered to her so much, but had routinely been characterized by misfortune and mistakes. Now though the skies were sunny and clear and she had a breath of confidence in her chest that enabled her to engage with her cousin not as somewhat awkward distant big city cousin with a heart of gold, but a decidedly more confident and happy big city cousin with a heart of platinum. "Well now, this is a real disaster, like, for real. Must be starcrossed lovers! Him and his bananas and me and my apples. Might as well be a world apart! The horror!" She said as she dramatically fainted against a tree. A single apple fell off of as she fell against the trunk and landed on her horn, spiking it and sending the fruit halfway down it. The juices flowed and she licked it up- "Well, can't blame us for having good taste, now can they?" She said as she slowly levitated the apple off of her horn and split it in two, sending one half to her cousin as she started snogging the other.

Speaking of Apples and Applejack and Applejack's Apples from Sweet Apple Acres, and boy did the apples live up to their name, she was asked to identify between two very similar looking red apples. Her eyes narrowed. She knew more about apples than most ponies but nothing compared to an Apple family member. She still knew too much about oranges. It wasn't a Red Delicious, though. Not deep red enough. Both apples were lighter red with some lighter shading, lighter stripes even. She wanted to say a Braeburn but they had moved production of that to the west some time ago. She got up as she considered her options, dusting herself off and wiping off her horn as she chewed on her own apple a bit. "Uhh..." she said with a full mouth before gulping it down. "Oh! I know. Are they...one of them is totally a Gala and the other, like, is it like a Cameo?" She asked hopefully as she gave a wide smile to her cousin. Maybe she was wrong. She was just pleased that they could still be normal ponies, even if she was in the midst of revealing the things that gave her butterflies. 

• Like 1

Applejack rolled her eyes and enjoyed the entertainment of seeing Moonlight fail miserably at identifying apples. She let the unicorn filly sweat it out for a minute or so before she gave her the mercy of a professional farm pony. "Now, come on, Moonlight. I can't believe a pink lady like yourself doesn't know a pink lady apple when she sees one." She walked over to the bushels and kicked an apple up to her front hooves. Holding it majestically, she revealed her trick. "They're both pink ladies, actually. Very sweet and acidic, bright in color, and have a tart-flavored crisp bite to them. You know. Just like you." Applejack tossed the apple to Moonlight to catch. "You give this apple to Remington and tell him you'd like to invite him over to your Auntie Applejack's farm for dinner. And don't take no for an answer."

large.png

Applejack had long gotten over the doubt of Moonlight's intentions. Though the mare knew the filly had a lot of understanding to do with relationships, and that her new identity would take some time to get used to, Applejack was over the moon with the idea that she would get to play matchmaker for one of her favorite cousins. Applejack could rough up Moonlight with challenges and trusting tests for family support, but the moment her date walked hoof on the farm path, Applejack would change her evaluation metrics towards a stallion who may or may not know what he was in for. Applejack loved the uncertainty of other pony's relationships, like reading a fictional love story come to life. But there was one thing Applejack could be certain of. Dinner the evening Remington comes over will be fantastic!

• Like 1