[STAR] A Dangerous Mistake to Fix {Closed ATTN: Ashton, Pyro, Alivda}

IceStorm

Raven blinked, not expecting it to be handed over so easily. "Huh... So it's able to modify itself according to it's users mental commands, even if it is just to change out a part that can manually be changed out at any time... And yeah, that sounds a lot like how a unicorn's horn functions... at least for most. It'll probably take more equipment than I could carry... or at least, more precise equipment... I mean, I bet I could come up with a new foci to link it to a specific aether source, but right now... I don't think I can modify it without my lab. I'd probably end up either removing any enchantments on it... or worse. Especially since I'm not that skilled with enchantments, still a new field of study to me..." She said looking at it closely. She even pulled out a jeweler's loop, though enchanted to show the energies of magic objects. It was a skilled piece, not something that would be easily replicated or modified, though the foci seemed to be simpler in nature, as long as she could figure out how to create the enchantments that allowed it to link to the gauntlet.

(Yep, I haven't played much with TC6, TC4 and down were my jam back in the day though. I even had a full enchanting room with brains in jars. Heck, I've made some progress in the modpack blightfall, though I'm not sure which version of TC it uses.)

~~~Ice Storm~~~

When Ice heard Harle tell her that Singelstone's notes were neigh unreadable, she shrugged. "I suppose he probably has them like that on purpose. I'm not overly big on numbers myself, but I at least know enough to be able to help budget this entire organization. At the very least, it will help that we'll be getting some Equestrian Funding as well soon," Ice Storm said as she listened to Harle explain how she was told that the glove was supposed to work. She also said that Singelstone didn't make this device. That would also explain why there would have been no notes on this one. Apparently the gemstones that were in them could be swapped out with different... foci, she said it was called. Raven seemed to nod at this and Raven was a bigger expert than she was on this matter. She may have been funding the research on these Aether Crystals, but that didn't mean that she herself knew much about them. She knew that they were able to work with what she wanted to use them for, and that they might be able to be used to help Unicorns. But with gloves like this... why stop there? IF those could be made to where they wouldn't harm other ponies... then having something like that was worth it.

When Harle handed the glove over.... which she did much quicker and easier than she was expecting her to... knowing Harle she probably had another one... But she listened as Raven confirmed that it basically used the mental commands of it's user to change itself, even if it's just to change out a part that could manually be changed out. She said that was prettu close to how magic worked, and Ice nodded. She herself did know a bit about that, having to learn how to control her own Aether after getting gifted with the spheres that now rested in her amulet. She did hear Raven say that she didn't thing that she could do much with it out here without her lab, but it was something that she would definitely like to look at further. "Agreed, and I won't be against you using it either. Just make sure that Raven isn't too close when you do. Pulling charge off of my spheres is one thing, but with her crack I wouldn't want that to accidentally overload it and make the crack worse, among other possible outcomes," Ice told them. She then looked up to the sky through the small hole at the top. The storm was still raging. "Looks like it's getting stronger. We'll have to wait for it to subside. While I'm perfectly okay in it, I highly doubt the two of you could survive a blizzard in arctic temperatures," Ice commented.

((not familiar with that pack (currently playing "Mythic" which is TC4 with *almost* all TC addons!), but its easy to tell if is has TC6 in it - can you craft iron nugget into want caps? if not its TC6, if so it may be TC5, TC4, or even earlier versions... (ofc the even easier way to know is what MC version are you using? if its 1.7.10 then its TC4, if its 1.8.x then its TC5, and if its 1.12.X then its TC6... if its 1.6.4 then it might be TC4 or TC3, I think both versions were available for 1.6.4))

Harle nodded as Raven spoke, clearly not understanding most of what she was saying, though she did pick up on one thing "I dont think a focus works, that's the part that tells the glove what to do, like to make fire or ice or holes in reality" was harle serious? could this love actually tear holes in reality? or was she just being facetious? it was hard to tell with her peculiar sense of humor.

The griffon clearly was pleased that Ice wasn't going to ban her from using her 'toy' but she nodded at the suggested restriction "I'll try to make sure there's a safe distance as long as its not an emergency... I'd hate to make her horn worse, but I think a larger crack is a better choice than chatting with the reaper"

When ice shifted her conversation to the weather, harle chuckled a little "'slong as I have this" she held up her decanter "and this" she held up the gauntlet, who's gem shifted to the color of a softly glowing coal - clearly a 'fire' focus "I'm good, but I dont know about the others" she did wince though as some thought went through her head and the focus quickly changed "probably shouldn't be playing with fire though" she commented a little sadly, looking off into the distance, no doubt thinking about that time she accidentally burned one of her favorite taverns to the ground... yeah, with the way that haunted her - and it was a complete accident - it would make a creature wonder how anypony could have ever thought harle was actually a hardened criminal with a list of crimes as long as had been fabricated...

Magnus gradually relaxed as things de-escalated into casual conversation, remaining silent as he watched the three talk about the glove. He hadn’t been around when Harle had decided to join up with these unicorns, but it seemed they had no immediate plans to betray Harle if things had been going fine this long. Still, he would have to keep an eye on this organization just in case. He didn’t want them to turn on the crew and get him caught in the crossfire. And part of him actually wanted to protect Harle. A part he was not at all sure how to feel about. Life was very complicated nowadays with working for both sides. 

Raven gave back the glove, nodding. "Yep... As long as we're far enough apart, it shouldn't effect me." She said, noting Icy's comments on the storm. "In that case, I'm going to get some rest over here. Wasn't expecting all this equipment to be as heavy as it is..." She said, taking her pack off and heading a little closer to the fire, before curling up. Oddly though, she didn't face away from the fire, as most would, but towards it, her eyes half closed and watching the smallish flame dance and crackle.

(blightfall is a technic pack that's kinda sci-fi ish. the plot is you are part of a mission to colonize a new planet, but when you get there, the planet is completely covered in taint. your job is to make the planet livable, and eventually remove the taint.)

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm nodded to Harle as it appeared that they had a basic understanding on the glove. Her statements were accurate, and while she's like to avoid damaging Raven's horn and further, if it was life or death then they're have to take their chances. Of course for it to get to that point, it meant that she herself would have to be close to depleted. "I believe that is an acceptable arrangement. As far as the decanter goes, I'd recommend moderation. I don't really care how much you drink, but just remember... Once it's gone it's gone. We aren't in a spot where we can just go back for more," she said with a smirk. 

She gave Raven a small nod as she said that she was going to rest up a bit. That the equipment she packed was heavier than she expected. The rest would be good as she looked back up to the storm. "I don't understand it through... My reasons aren't usually this far off... The weather was supposed to be tolerable for a few days at least. It wasn't supposed to get like this until we were at the mountains, and at that point we would have had their shelter. Be on your guard when we start moving again... There might be somepony else here." 

((sounds like a fun story for the pack, I personally don't play many story-driven packs (unless its extremely light story, like "The Ferret Business") because they tend to gate one mod behind another, behind another, behind another, using "expert" style recipes ...))

Harley chuckled, seeing she was on the far side of the cave with ice between herself and raven, the gem on the back of the glove turned to the creepy eye and with one swift move, harle punched... literally thin air... and it rippled and distorted in a severely unnatural way, as the glove slipped through the ripples like waver, and pulled out a massive bottle that probably held a whole gallon of bourbon "I'm good, ma'am, I'm good" she grinned as she reversed the motion and put the gallon of booze back... wherever it was before...

Noting Ice's other comment harle sighed "I would offer to sneak around and see what I can find, but that's one thing I cant really help with, I can do lots of stuff with th' gauntlet, but it doesn't help me with stealth, and you remember what happened last time I was supposed to be stealthy and ended up foalnapping a filly" she rolled her eyes at the context "its jus' not my style"

((and just to clarify, yes, Harle just opened her Enderchest))

Magnus was listening to the others, but he was also sharpening his weapon. Might as well make sure all the equipment was in good shape while they were all stuck in here, he didn’t want them to fail at a crucial moment. 

“Stealth is my job.” He said after Harle’s talk of a failed stealth mission. That actually sounded like a story he wanted to hear from her at some point. “I can be invisible to the naked eye, and most other forms of detection. If scouting needs to happen, I’ll do it.”

Raven watched the flame for a bit, listening to Icy's warning that there might be some thing else out there. It'd make sense, with how sudden the storm sprung up... especially if they were a ice attuned mage like Icy, and her intel was right. Raven couldn't comment on that though, as she spent most of her time in the hq working in her lab, so she wasn't sure as to the quality of her information network. However, her thoughts were broken when a shiver ran up her spine, caused by the strange magic that Harle used, rending the very air in two. Staring at it, she could feel the offness of it, the otherness... and yet, it didn't seem to be dangerous in the least, especially when all that came out on Harle's claws were a bottle, which went back in. She shook her head to clear it of the lingering feel of the magic in the air, and went back to watching the fire, her eyelids slowly drooping closed.

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm shook her head when both Harle and Magnus mentioned leaving the igloo to scout ahead. "Normally, that would be sound strategy and one that I would openly endorse... but with where we are... and with how the weather is if you got so much as ten ponies away from the shelter... I honestly don't think anyone could find their way back. The snow would be falling to fast and too thick to be able to back track using your own tracks. The would be covered in minutes. Once this relents though, we should continue our move as a unit. Although that ability to go unseen will be quite helpful later on when we get closer to the mountains. In case somepony else has found these and are trying to harvest them," Ice Storm said.

Using this time to think and plan things a bit better might not be a bad idea either. She began pulling out some of the maps that she had of the area from when she was here before. Realistically, there was only one real path to take and that was a straight line there an a straight line back out once they were done. However, she couldn't rule out the possibility of something else being at play here so she had to try to look for things that they could possibly use as cover. Unfortunately the only thing they really had to go off of was a continental map of Equerstria and that would only help them with so much here. It did have elevation lines or anything that they could use as a point of reference and she doubted the consistancy of it's scale. She looked up to the sky hole once more before opened a segment near by with her magic and stepping outside for brief second trying to see how the clouds were moving and see if she could get a sense of when this weather would pass. Or at the very least, this heavy part of the storm. Thankfully she could see some lighter color clouds in the distance and hopefully that meant it would slow down soon.

She then quickly popped back inside and closed the small hole she just made while doing so. "Well, If we have any luck we should be getting a lull soon. The clouds above us appear to be moving west to north east and to the east of us looked to be some lighter clouds in the distance. Hopefully that means that the snow and the wind will at least die down enough for us to start moving. If the weather gets too bad again, I can always make another one of these for us to wait in. There's enough snow and Ice here that I could make these blindfolded and not use a qualm of aether," She told the group.

• Like 1

Harle blinked "Aether is measured in qualms?" she asked, getting completely distracted for a moment, but with  shake of her head she focused again, first turning to magus "I dont like putting my crew in danger, I'd rather not risk anyone under my care" she said, with only a momentary pause before continuing "But... I've seen first-claw how good you are, and if there's anyone on the crew I trust more than myself in a mission like this, its you" she explained, giving her vote of confidence in the unicorn's stealth abilities

She sighed though "But the commander's right, we need to wait for the snow to stop, for all our safety and in case of an emergency" the griffen didn't seem to realize she had just dropped a hint that she had a backup-plan if things went too far south... of course by now none of them would be surprised by that... of course there would always be a question of the quality of harle's plans, given her panache for drama and her alternating length of attention span... hopefully this was a plan that singlestone had devised, or at least advised the captain on, in which case it was at least mostly safe and sane... and mostly sane was the best you could ever hope for with harle...

Raven stirred once more, at the question of Qualms. "It really depends... There's not a standard notation, it seems... I prefer the term thaum, but that's just me... As long as the term refers to the tiniest detectable trace of magic, you can basically call it whatever... Should probably talk with someone about that... Maybe even see if I can't talk to the princess... Seems like as good as she is with magic, she'd be a good one to help with a standard for it... would make research a lot easier..." She said, talking mostly to herself about halfway through. It was something that kinda annoyed her, researching into how unicorns cast spells as much as she did, which made her one of the only creatures in the world that seemed to research magic itself... Having said that though, she went back to her fire watching, inching a little closer to it as she shifted around...

9z2meys.jpg

Not far away in a large igloo, Blizzard sat at his desk. Magic books flanked each side of the unicorn as his quill wrote on parchment. “That might work...if I combine that spell with the standard gateway...” he mumbled to himself. Blizzard would look up from his work, stopping. “Something feels...off,” he said though he couldn’t put his hoof on what it was. With a heavy sigh he rose from his chair and grabbed his cloak. 

Opening the wooden door, he would step out into the wintery weather. “Ugh, I have company... I better check on them before before the freeze to death, or worse. Don’t need to be blamed for that...” Blizzard said with sarcasm in his voice. He would head due south as that would be his ‘guests’ most likely location. Upon seeing another igloo, he knew. He would flip up the hood of his cloak and observe from nearby, the heavy snow accumulating on him, almost serving as an improvised camouflage. 

As the storm began to die down, Blizzard would make his move, approach the entrance to their temporary shelter. “The storm is winding down now,” he said in a friendly tone... well at least as friendly as he could. “So, what brings everypony up to this frozen wasteland? It can be extremely dangerous up here....” 

"While I appreciate you not wanting to risk my life, it would be foolish for you to try and fail to do something when there is someone that is much more likely to succeed nearby that can do it. Especially if they are volunteering. Part of leading is using the strengths of your followers to accomplish things you could not do alone." Magnus said, watching Harle and mostly ignoring the talk about Aether measurements. He nodded to Ice's words about the reasons for not going to scout right now. Those, at least, were logical. It was also good to hear there was likely an end in sight for the storm, though of course something had to happen to complicate matters. His ear twitched before the voice came, and by the time it did, Magnus was standing ready to attack if necessary. He held off momentarily though, glancing at Ice and the others in case this was some ally he had yet to meet.

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm watched and she heard Harle ask about the units of which aether was measured in. She nodded at Raven's answer that she gave. Yeah, qualms is what I've always referred to it as... Although now that we're actively researching magic and it's properties, I suppose having a uniform vocabulary for that would make things easier for other researchers to understand. Rather than trying to guess how much someone means by thaum, qualm, or any other term that somepony might use," she commented.

It was about this time that she heard a voice. More importantly, a vice that was not a part of the ponies that made up this endeavour... A vice that sounded familiar. She wasn't the first to notice and Magnus shot up and Ice did as well... She wasn't hostile, but she was defensive. This was the one pony that she was hoping to avoid on this mission. Still... While she felt she had reason to not trust him, she didn't need to give him a reason to become fully violent towards her or anyone here. He also hadn't really don't anything to harm anytime yet so as far as Ice was concerned he was just a misguided pony that choose to abandon society as a whole. "Blizzard Blitz... I can't say that I was expecting to see you here... We're actually on a classified mission, so I can't go into to many details. Just that we will be going deeper North," she commented to him. She wasn't rude, but not exactly courteous either. She had a new professional tone than anything right now. She did stay alert just in case he tried something bit she wasn't expecting it. He was drastically out numbered and she was positively certain she was a stronger ice mage than he was. She could defend them if needed.

Harle was no fool, well usually not, even if she certainly spent much of her time being played for one. She gave a warm and polite smile to the newcomer, while quickly and hopefully with none of them noticing, swapped the gauntlet onto her left paw, while her right went inside her coat, gripping her magitech deathray, while the kept the back of the glove away from the new pony, the rest of her party would notice the gem in it shift to a dark crimson red with black protrusions that looked vaguely like tiny wings. The griffon could tell that Ice was concerned about this newcomer, and harle knew it would be best to be ready herself, since she knew nothing about this new... friend? enemy? dinner-guest? she had no clue, but if a fight broke out she had to be ready...

((for those wondering -esp since I hope not to have to use it- Harle's switched to the Nine Hells focus, realizing they're playing Elemental Rock-Paper-Sissors, and knowing either fire or electricity should be his weakness... and even if she's wrong, it would be a good distraction... granted she could be 100% wrong on both counts, but...))

Raven had shot up when the stranger spoke, her stance tense and hard. It wasn't often she got surprised by others coming near, but here lately, she found herself getting lost when fire was nearby. The stranger didn't seem openly hostile, so she stood down, though she did move away from the fire, as she could feel the tension Icy had in dealing with him. Icy's voice alone was a giveaway for those who knew her. She would stay wary and ready, especially as she knew nothing about this stranger.

9z2meys.jpg

Blizzard would force a smile as he assessed each of the creatures of this expedition... First was the only stallion of the group, a rather imposing unicorn, though judging by his physique his skill was more inline with physical combat. Next his eyes would be drawn towards a griffon. Oh how the times must have changed for a griffon to be willingly assisting Equestrians though the new leader of Equestria had brought all creatures closes, he had heard. She was the one that gave him that strange feeling that brought him to the group, though he didn't know how a non magic user would have been tugging on his aura. Next was a mare mage he had not seen before, though he gave her a friendly nod of acknowledgement.

Finally his eyes would gaze upon Ice Storm. His expression quickly soured, as well as the tone of his voice. "I see..." he trailed off, his eyes narrowing to a glare at her and her alone. "Well then, I can't say I'm surprised to see you as well... I hope that mission is not to keep tabs on one measly little ice mage researching weather magic." Sarcasm was strong in his voice. Blizzard's stance would show annoyance more then hostility. "Well then," his voice returning to a somewhat normal tone, "you will have no interference from me as long as you respect my privacy and are only continuing northward. I trust that you can at least guarantee that? I don’t take well to surprise house guests.” he said with a half smirk.

"Anyhow," as he broke eye contact from Ice Storm, "I wish thee all luck on your expedition. There are things worse then a grumpy unicorn to deal with the further north you go."

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm shook her head. "Like the princess said in the Library, Weather magic is not illegal. I've even used it myself at times, but there's very little point in doing so anymore because the pegasi have willingly take on the role of the weather ponies. Up hear, the weather is not controlled by ponies. It responds to our magic only if it wants to," she said to him with a bit of annoyance herself. He was technically the reason that they were here, but not because of the weather magic. She didn't want him finding the crystals that she found and possibly using them for illicit acts. He very clearly harbored some sort of resent towards Equestria for some reason. Judging by his posture and tone some of that resentment was clearly directed at her although she had no idea what she did to anger him. It seemed that Harle and the others were wary of him as well and were ready if he were to try to do anything foolish.

When he further told them that they would have no interference from him so as long they were only continuing northward. He hoped that she could at least guarantee him that because he didn't do well with surprise house guests. Really now... and why might that be... she instantly thought to herself. Now she was contemplating what he was actually hiding where he lived himself. There was no way thought that she would ever get permission to engage in such an act with so little to go on though. However... they might be able to swing back through on the way back from their expedition and claim that they got turned around in the storms of the land... She'd approach that avenue later though. "I can in fact guarantee that we are going north, but that's as much information that I'm allowed to disclose. I am aware of the dangers that lie to the north as well. This isn't my first time up here," she told him as she awaited what would come next.

Harle continued to watch the stallion with that predatorial eye. All while saying nothing --- she knew she had a habit of sticking her paws in her mouth when she spoke, so it was best to leave this to Ice, who was far more trained in these matters. The griffen though was studying the ice-stallion, watching for even the slightest sign of aggression. She knew how quick unicorns could fire off spells, or set of mechanisms they were concealing (though granted she could do much the same)  While the stallion seemed to be relaxing his body language and tone towards mere annoyance, Harle was aware that this could be a ruse to lull them into a false sense of security. She had dealt with those kind before... and she wasn't going to let them get a drop on her and her associates this time....

9z2meys.jpg

Blizzard’s gray eyes locked onto Ice Storm as he gave an annoyed sigh. He didn’t fully trust her and he was sure that feeling was mutual. From their first meeting he felt that she was looking for just the smallest reason... the tiniest error to go after him. Perhaps it was paranoia or perhaps it was foresight... 

The unicorn would turn and begin to walk away from Ice’s little team before pausing. 
“I hope you keep that guarantee. I don’t want any unnecessary conflict.” As he began to walk away, he would flip up his hood. His horn would glow softly as his hoof steps would vanish behind him and he himself into the falling snow ahead.

Raven took another step towards the stranger, slowly, but stopped as he turned and left. Soon enough, all traces of him having been there had disappeared, and she sighed. Before anyone spoke, she started to cast a spell, wincing as the magic sparked across still sore pathways. A bubble appeared from her horn, and passed through the igloo harmlessly, going out a decent distance. "He's gone, at least beyond the range of normal scrying..." She said, heading back to rest by the fire again...

• 2 weeks later...

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm watched as everypony here got into somewhat of a defensive formation. That was a good sign for the teamwork that they would need later in the thread. She remained alert as the other icy unicorn left the premises. She watches as Raven cast a small bubble from her horn and it passed through the igloo. She nodded when Raven said that he was beyond the range of normal scrying and she looked up and she saw something that wasn't common here. Sun. With a burst, the igloo disappeared from around them, and then the spheres resocketed themselves into her amulet. 

"Right then, if he's gone then we should take advantage of the sun while it's here and keep moving North. If we get lucky we won't hit another storm for a bit. Regardless, the further north we go the less sun we'll have. At least for this time of year. With it being almost winter in Equestria, it will get every darker the further north we go. As soon as we're ready, we'll continue," she said pondering before pulling out the basic map that she had.