TessQ85

(Open) Everfree Forest, Rhyme and Reason

(Read thoroughly to insert yourself organically.)

In the deepest part of the Everfree Forest, centered in a glade with fresh flowers and ferns, the sun shines, cresting atop the encroaching canopy of the gathering limbs and leaves overhead, and there sat a lone silhouette. The draping and flowing cloak on the form shifted as the figure rose, a light breeze, peeling back the hood, revealing the starkly colored mane of a zebra mare, gilded rings drooping from her ears and falling around her long neck. A brightly colored flower in her teeth, she finds a place for her prize in her satchel, as an abrupt sound startles the nearby fauna, alerting her to activity nearby. A puzzled expression across her brow, she asks, to none in particular, but the breeze, itself, mayhap, "What kind of sounds might this be? I'd hope it won't be trouble for me." A determined look creeping over her features, she adds, bravely, "I'll investigate the disturbance, see it clear, I'll soon know if it is danger that looms near." She begins to trot with purpose toward the sound, hoping to find what might be in the shadowed wood.

(It's a short start, but I'm sure we can move this into quite the story.)

Edited by TessQ85
Spelling and grammar
  • Like 2

Strong Copper

Having taken a small break from the campaign trail of Ponyville's Mayorship to do his actual day job, Strong Copper had answered a call about some dead chickens. The job itself had been simple enough. The evidence pointed to a timber wolf having managed to break into the hen house and the results, while grisly, were completely natural; While little could be done about the chickens, a quick redesign of the hen house and the defenses of the backyard would go a long way to preventing a repeat of the night before. However, there was something about the situation that had worried him.

The evidence all pointed to a single timber wolf. Timber wolves were pack animals by nature. While some ponies coined the term 'long wolf' to mean some kind of flank kicking hero who didn't need a team, in nature a long wolf was a creature that had been abandoned by its pack, either because it was sick or injured badly enough that they were left behind or they were so violent and ill tempered that their pack drove them off. While neither tended to survive on their own for long, Copper knew he had to enter the Everfree in pursuit to confirm which of the two it was. If an animal was sick or injured, he would feel terrible leaving out here to suffer if it could be helped, helping it by either bringing it to a vet to be treated or... bringing the suffering to an end if it was too far gone.

If it turned out this timber wolf was just inherently violent, the rampage needed to be stopped before someone or somepony got hurt. A few chickens would be getting off lightly under the circumstances.

So when he heard a noise coming from the nearby plant life, Strong Copper was on edge, his horn glowing as an old favorite of a spell came to mind.

Despite what some ponies might have believed, timber wolves were not inherently weak to fire. While it was true that they could burn, the wood that made up the body of the average timber wolf tended to be living/green wood and was thus actually pretty hard to set fire too. Their desire to avoid fire was merely a trait shared by most animals that didn't benefit from resistance or immunity to extreme heat: This thing is bright and uncomfortable to be near, therefore I don't want to be near it.  Therefore, having a spell that gave out a bright flash and gave a quick, uncomfortable but not painful wave of heat that would make most animals (and to be fair, most ponies) turn and run was generally pretty good to have on hoof.    

• Like 1
  • Apple 1

Trotting at a moderate pace, so the origin of the noise might not be alerted to her, Zecora dove deeper into the wood, hoping to at least glance upon the source of the loud sound. Passing many large trees, she spied a stark contrast along her path, there were a few trees with three claw marks diagonal from the top left and the top right making a large "X" shape, tagging the area for territorial boundaries.

While not uncommon, it was not a site to be sauntered into lightly, for it could only spell terrible trouble. Asking of no one but the scarred trees, she says, "I wonder, friend, what caused this gash? I'll find in a moment, with just a splash. Some fertile algae in a sap steeped brew, we'll know in a moment of what might be true." Pulling out a jar of brown paste, setting it down, taking a stick to it to spread it into the mark, the wound is soon covered.

As she waits, she puts everything away and tosses the stick into the bushes. Soon the mark began to drip with the tree's sap and another material. Examining it, she could tell that what was left in the deep cut was wood from a dead tree. Long dead conifer sap was in the mark, but the mark looked fresh when she found it. What could this mean? Surely nothing good...or simply examined and solved. Onward, she trod, hoping to see something more, none would easily know what might be in store.

Edited by TessQ85
Spelling and grammar
  • Like 1

Remaining still as his head slowly turned from side to side in order to scan the environment for the source of the noise that had alerted him, Strong Copper didn't relax his guard so much as he relaxed his body enough to start slowly moving again after a few moments of nothing. Whatever had made that noise had either not noticed him, was now stalking him and waiting for a better moment to strike, or wasn't a threat to him at all... and considering he was currently prowling within the Everfree Forest, odds were slanted towards the former two. Assuming something wasn't dangerous when the terrain wasn't that well known was a fast way to becoming a warning to others about the dangers of a location.

As he was slowly easing his way towards a nearby tree in order to have a direction covered in the event that there was now something paying very close attention to him, Copper's ear twitched as he heard another, somewhat light sound of... someone rhyming?

Now, the ability to speak didn't automatically mean that the speaker wasn't inclined towards viewing a pony as an enjoyable meal, but it was a good start. Deciding to test his luck, he called out in a relatively steady voice just short of a true yell "Is someone there?" and being prepared to deal with the situation if the answer was a yes he didn't want.

• Like 1

Pausing as she heard a question asked of somepony not far away, she looks that direction, hoping to see whom it might be. Varied trees between her and where they might be, she simply calls out a little more loudly, hoping she is clear enough for them to understand her, "I can not see you, I hear you, though. I heard noise, came out to know. I found something here, if you'd like to see, I puzzle, though, what that noise could be." Hoping her loud words made it to the one that called out, she went back to examining the mark and taking a sample of the secretion. The algae was bolstered by the sap, very lively, so after it soaked into the wood, it would push out any contaminants that were put there by whomever made the mark. She wanted to show the new friend this so that they could try to figure it out together. "If you come to me, I can share my find, I can not tell, in fact, I feel quite blind. Together, I hope we solve this soon, an ally, now, would be a welcome boon." Waiting patiently for them to get there, as she looked at the marks, seeing if they were truly of the sort often left by Timber Wolves...or maybe something else, she had no real idea.

When the voice answered, Copper was able to deduce two things about it. The first was that the speaker was quiet clearly female. The second was that she seemed to always be speaking in rhyme which... was kind of weird. There were a small subset of talking creatures that could only speak in rhyme, but they tended to favor environments much different then the Everfree. 

His curiosity peaked, he started to look for a way through the wall of plant life in order to reach the rhyming mare and see her for himself. He didn't just try and force a way through the underbrush; Flora could be just as dangerous as fauna, especally when you considered that the Everfree was home to things that sort of played jump rope with the two categories. Finding a relatively thin section of the forest to make a break through, Copper's horn lit up as he carefully started to push the plants to the side in order to step through while making as little contact with the actual plants as possible. 

Stepping onto the other side of the wall, Strong Copper blinked at what he saw. Of all the things he expected to encounter today, the cultural beauty of a zebra mare was not one of them. Feeling himself blush just a little, he cleared his throat as he almost shyly greeted "H-Hello. Sorry, I really wasn't expecting to run into anyone else out here. I'm Sor--- Strong Copper. I'm Strong Copper. Nice to meet you." He caught himself, embarrassed that he had almost fumbled his own damn name when he first encountered this mare.