[Open Ask] To Market, to market, to buy...Uh... (@KaityKat117)(@Aisede)

TessQ85

Having spent a good deal of the summer gathering many herbs that come in season around the Everfree Forest, Zecora knew it was coming to the time of year that she might have a hard time finding certain plants in the woods or even in town. She needed to head into town and find what they still had in stock, especially in the flower department. While they would very likely not have any of the unique plants she needed, they are likely to have herbs, spices and flowers that ponies used every day for beautification and aesthetics as well as seasoning and such. Going over the list she wrote, to be sure she had little reason to miss anything, she packed for the trip and started on her way out of her hollowed out tree hut toward Ponyville proper.

On the path she chose in order to head into town, she could hear much of the wildlife in the forest. It's cheerful tones and bright atmosphere boosted her mood which seemed to sag a little as the days grew shorter. The leaves being mostly gone now, after the annual 'Running of the Leaves" had been well underway for a while, she could see much farther than before. This also meant she was even less likely to find some of the things she was hoping for. As she thought on this, some of the sounds from Ponyville could be heard in the distance as the afternoon sun crested to the left, over the naked treetops she was now soon to exit.

A satchel over her back and a cloak between her and the winds bite, she found the road and began the last and least troublesome, hoof of her journey. Making it into town was a simple task at this point, she began to formulate which place to head to first. She needed certain flowers and plants she's likely to find amongst the market stalls and more tea, as she had recently run out. Lemons, limes, grapefruit, apples, carrots, natural honey etc all of which had a strong medicinal or flavorful purpose, but also that she hoped she could find strewn about the cart and stall doppled and lively streets. She settled with getting a snack first, as she rounded the corner to the promising café there, ordering food and sitting for a short meal before her shopping would continue.

(Comment with a description of the types of things your stall or store sells and I can bring us into dialogue from there. I actually know a good deal about medicinal herbs, plants and flowers as well as the properties of common fruits and veggies in medicine and cooking. Feel free to ask questions and explore what I can bring to this character, in the form of knowledge and education, as well as adding my own flare to her iconic rhyming couplets.)

(If you are unsure how to approach the scene, message me and I'll gladly help us start things off or help you figure out how to approach in your own way. Sorry I'm so long winded, I'm just excited to finally be able to RP as a canon character again after so long. I'm also eager to present my unique talents, but I don't want to over express or "showboat" (I need to look up the etymological significance of that term, cause I'm now curious), instead I'd rather have meaningful and fun interactions. I'll gladly work with you in any way you need to get started. Feel free to message me. Thank you for your contributions, understanding and help in this.)

Edited by TessQ85
grammer, flow and such
  • Like 1

The enigmatic zebra notice, near the outer edges of town, a new shop had sprung up from the ground like a flowering rose, gasping for breath and showing off its iridescent colors to the waking, sundrenched world. The large sign out front had curiously been fashioned in a cursive style, boldly proclaiming this outwardly humble establishment as Compass Rose's Cure-All's & Curios.

Outside the shop, a couple stands had been setup, the isolated aroma of herbs and brewery a beacon that shone bright next to the burning star of commerce that was the market proper. Various flowers were on display here, receiving their daily dose of vitamin C as the proprietor prepared her stock for another slow day. 

Most of the flora were labelled, but because of the unique nature of the alchemist's trade, not all of them were as mundane as their counterparts: Hissop venom was lined up below silver poppies, the gleaming petals known for treating narcolepsy and fatigue. The sinister-looking demonica that causes horrid indigestion, and rather plain-lookibg white flowers with a caution label below them simply called "Asphodels". The sign read in some language that defied logic, and anybody who started at them for too long could swear there was something... Otherworldly about them.

Most of the rest of the plants there followed a similar theme: sunglowers that can cause temperary blindness, June Apples that act as 'conceptives', and another row of amber extracts from something called a 'Calentula'.

Indeed, it was a backwards world they lived in at times, but that's what made it so interesting, wasn't it?

• Hearthoof 1

Seeing this new shop out of the corner of her view, she wondered why she never saw it before. It must be new. Regardless, it was very well placed and had a very unique selection. Straining to see the displayed inventory the shop offered, questions began to arise. The inclusion of silver poppy was a concern, the golden poppy were helpful but the silver poppy had an addictive nature... Or was it the violet poppy? Is there such a thing as "silver poppy"? Interest piqued, she finished her meal, gathered her things and made her way toward the stalls and shop. 

Examining the plants she found out front, she only had more and more questions. She knew of plants with similar look and similar name, but these were just different enough to raise too many questions. "Should I look further into this unknown? Is there more flora than what I've been shown?" Querying to herself, mostly. She continued, directly toward any inside, "I need to know more, I'd look inside, please. These aromas invite, carried on breeze. What you have in view, how much for a sale? My knowledge of these plant does, to you, pale." Hoping to hear something back as she looked farther into the wafting jungle of mysterious and varied flowers and plants. She began to dive deeper into thought, seeing such similarity between plants she knew of similar names and look and these odd creatures before her.

Edited by TessQ85
Grammar, flow and such.
  • Like 1

As she passed through the threshold of the store, she'd find herself in an entirely new environment; gone were plants in their purest form, instead replaced by flasks and bottles, vials and jars, all of them bubbling, churning, and glowing with unrealized potential.

These, too, had labels, as well as short descriptions of what they did; Dazzle: causes your mane to sparkle; Swapsies: swaps your mane and coat colors; Andalusia Lingua: causes you to read everything in Andalusian. There were a few stranger ones, such as one marked '???' that simply said "this one made me see subtitles," and another one that apparently 'turns you into the thing you fear most'. Neither of those- or any of them- sounded remotely convenient or even useful, but there they were. Potions that defied all logic and reason.

Also populating the odorous room were more conventional consumables. Things that treated Insomnia, drops that stopped nosebleeds, a remedy for cutie pox and so on. Those were parallel to the shelves full of useless junk. 

At the front was a counter with a glass showcase, a green mare with a very curly mane rummaging around in some boxes behind it. The display case possessed... Potions of a different caliber, a sign on top warning that these were expiremental. Things like 'limited regeneration 3.5m 27s', 'Enhanced physique 27m 32s', and an ominously labelled 'Passed your limits Xm Xs'. The last one was encased in an opaque black bottle, the red fluid inside almost seeming alive.

"Huh? Oh! Welcome!" The pony turned around, beaming with joy at seeing a new customer. "Everything you see on display is for sale, although I must inform you the stuff on the left shelf consists of extras from commissions. This town... " She shook her head, gazing over at the shelves. "They have some deviant tastes.

• Like 1

This wild experimentation is quite unique. Most ponies aren't as adventurous. The potions on the shelf with such chaos swirled in them, these must be mixed with a very unique magic. Seeing for herself the pony before her a thought comes to mind. She ponders a moment before asking, "These bottled chaos, I have never seen. What magic was used on this one so green? I've not seen such... adventure, in those here, this town, like others, such chaos they fear. Tell me 'bout yourself, from where do you hale? I am quite interested in your tale." Looking to the pony before her with a sense of concern and wonder.

Not sure what to make of these potions and the plants out front, a puzzled expression escapes as she glances about, yet again. These clues point this inquisitive mare to deeply pondering thought. She may need to take another chance to find out more another time, she has a great deal yet to do in town today. Perhaps she should focus on the plants, see if they offer the medicinal properties she needs or if their oddness is more than she is willing to deal with today. Maybe she should take a couple back home to study. There is so much here to think on. She is not sure where to start. This ponies response will help in her decision. So she hopes, at least.

• Like 1

"O-ho, me?" She carelessly waves a hoof, smiling genially. "My tale isn't really important. I'm just an alchemist from overseas..." She paused at this, looking up at the ceiling with a ponderous tap of her chin. "As for where I'm from, that would be the good old salty sovereignty of Andalusia. ¿Hablas mi idioma?" She leaned forward eagerly at that last part, a faint spark of hope in her emery green eyes.

• Like 1

Puzzled by the strange pony's nervous stuttering reaction to such simple questions. Really she just wanted to be more sure of what she might be buying, but maybe she asked the wrong questions. Making another attempt to relay her query to the odd pony in front of her, she simply asked, "Can you tell me more about these plants and such? If you elaborate, I'd like it much. I simply wish to buy plants I know well, none of your wares ring much of any bell.  Your help, needed, I like to be aware. Some of these things suggest, instead, 'Beware'." Hoping that she might soon get a few answers she seeks, she glances about to the various brews with a strange mixture of curiosity and caution.

• Hearthoof 1

This seemed to brighten her up, ears perking at the explanation. "Oh. Yes, some of them can be challenging to handle, but I assure you, none of them are harmful when used correctly. As for my flora..." She paused to think, scrunching her brow a bit. "While some are from the Everfree, most of them are imported. Some of them I've modified myself to suit my purposes, so that's why you wouldn't find them anywhere else."

"Liiike the silver poppies. They used to be golden poppies, but through some careful modification I was able to reverse its properties. Don't ask why it's silver, though.

Oh, and before I forget-" she reached down behind the counter to withdraw the green bottle the creature before her had mentioned earlier, placing it on top of the counter. It was the color of a frog, a few bubbles rising and popping on the surface. The fluid itself was foggy. "You asked about this one, right? It's a minor regenerative potion, but it only works on foals. I'm still working on the formula."

• Like 1

Seeing that there wasn't much explanation about the very complicated topic, she was still extremely unsure about buying anything. She was tempted by some of the plants before she realized they were so different. Being unfamiliar with these plants, she was unsure how to properly use them for her particular needs. This creature had found a way to "reverse the properties" of the golden poppy, turning it silver somehow. With all these plants wholly unfamiliar to her, she felt highly disinclined to purchase any of them. Feeling a little concerned that this unicorn, so green, might decline the opportunity to explain the properties of the plants they breed, only served to further disenchant her to these strange and unfamiliar plants.

Resolved in how she felt, she decided to offer one last plea for feeling secure in wishing to even buy yet one thing, even out of simple curiosity. She asked, "What kind of plants, now, are any of these? These unknown flora, explain to me, please. I can not, in good faith, bring home with me, something I know not what help it might be. I would like to buy something, odd they be, but they're far too unknown for even me." Hoping she relayed herself well, she looked about, yet again, at all the curious concoctions, hoping to see anything she could feel comfortable buying, knowing how it can be used appropriately. These all seemed oddly specific in their use and application.

• Like 1

The unicorn made a face, realization dawning on her what the zebra was asking. While she had labelled everything in the shop, she failed to do the same for all the plants she placed outside. Although, to be fair, she did that mostly to let them get some fresh air. "Oh, you want to know what they do. Hold on-" she turned back to what she had been doing before, snapping a lid on the box she had been trifling with before walking around the counter. "-please follow me. I can explain what each one is for, and what I did to them specifically."

She'd wait patiently for the zebra to gather her wits, briefly describing some of the potions she had made in the meantime. "The potions I've made in here were all made using natural and artificial regeants. The ones to the left-" she pointed to them "-were all made for a specific purpose, such as changing your coat color or giving you butterfly wings. The ones to the right-" she then gestured to the right shelf "-are for more conventional purposes. Most of them are medicinal, acting as cures and tonics for mild ailments like the cold, to things like the feather flu. I've learned about something called 'cutie pox' here, too, and am in the process of creating an effective treatment for it. You can find that over there-" and finally, she pointed towards the counter she had been occupying just prior. "-where I display expiremental potions. They've all been tested and proven safe to imbibe, so you don't have to worry about growing an extra appendage or anything."

"If you had anything specific in mind, I can help you find something that should work. Or several somethings.

• Like 1

Realising that she had a list that she could share, she pulls out the herbal and floral names and descriptions, offering it for the uniquely green unicorn that had offered to help. The list shows a bunch of items, some of which where similar in name to the items near the front of the shop, but were different in some key points. Some of the more basic plants where the bagonia, carnation, chrysanthemum, dandelion, gardenia, lilac, lotus, morning glory, peony, rose and sunflower.

She had hoped that this new pony might be able to help her find these classic plants and flowers. She asked, simply, "If you might feel up to helping me here, I have a list, some confusion, I fear. If you have questions, I'll answer gladly. Just simple plants, not modified madly." Eyes wide with concern, a growing issue with magical plants blooming with each new thing she sees, knowing the many issues that come with trying to modify things that are.

• Apple 1

She took the list and considered the items on it, pausing at 'rose' with a suppressed giggle. "While some of my plants can fill in for two of these, I do have just about... " She read it over again, double checking and cross referencing the information with her own inventory. "Yes, I have nearly all of these except for chrysanthemum, peony, and gardenia. I have to have something to base my expirements on, after all ~"

She chuckled at that, handing the list back and gesturing for the zebra to follow again. "I must apologize for the confusion. I get a little excited where alchemy is concerned. The plants you described are growing in my garden outback, alongside some of the fantastic flora I encounter in the Everfree."

"Um... And pardon if this may sound insensitive and out of the blue, but... What are you, exactly? I must say I've never seen an equine with quite the exotic appearance you have."

• Like 1

Eager for some sort of normalcy and a safely expectable outcome, she follows the yet nameless unicorn toward their garden. Hoping to find something she knows well how to use, something safe and unaltered. She has witnessed how things can degrade when you alter the already magical. Many times she's seen some very prominent figures in Ponyville try to play with things that are fragile and magical, only to find a dire situation to follow.

Offering an introduction not yet given, she says, "I am Zecora, an herbalist mare. I need these for the remedies I prepare. Tea and poultice are my most favorite two, if you visit, I'll prepare some for you." Hoping the introduction can be met with similar, she follows the unicorn to her garden, quite ready to see something familiar. Wanting to know more about this very odd pony and her ways, so unique. She must admit that her curiosity may have been piqued.

• Like 1

"Aw, why thank you for that ~ I'll have to take you up on that offer sometime." She said, smiling brightly as she led her around back to a remarkably ordinary-looking garden. It was larger, larger than any normal garden has any right to be, taking up over half of the space of her back yard. She chose this plot for a reason, though; far away from other houses or establishments, she could afford to use up more land in her botanical pursuits.

Everything was arranged in rows, with tags planted in the soil explaining what was what; golden poppies, peonies, sunflowers, carnations and the likes, their colorful columns adding a sort of concious design to the conglomerate of flora. "My name is Rose Compass- incase the sign didn't give it away. I'm an alchemist from Andalusia, a land overseas." She looked her up and down again, a curious gleam in her eye. "That's what I was asking. We don't have striped ponies down there, so I was wondering what you were. I hope you don't find my inquiry offensive."

• Like 1

Thinking for a moment, as she examined the flowers and plants in Rose Compass' back yard, she formulated a few phrases that would help them move things forward in both the social and economical portion of this exchange. Hoping to continue the positive energy of this recent breakthrough, she opened with, "Don't let my square jaw fool you, Rose Compass, I'm a zebra, where I'm from, were en mass. I'd like to buy some of these fresh flowers, I'm not fond of those others with powers. Too much can go wrong, magic swirled on. Those other plants, where'd I've even begun?" Unsure if she said things well enough, still in shock from seeing as those outlandish plants and dangerous looking potions. She continued to look at the unique qualities that can tell classic breeds of these plants from modified or regionally different breeds, hoping to see them as classic as possible.

• Like 1

"Huh... " A zebra. She wanted to ask more about her kind and culture, but it was pretty clear that she had strained the mare's patience far enough for one day. She'd ask about it another time, perhaps over that cup of tea.

"Well, all of the flora are arranged by genus. There are rows going down the center of each lane, so it shouldn't be hard to find what you're looking for." She'd lead Zecora further into her garden and to the beginning of one such lane, this one lined with morning glory and lilac. A moderately sized weaved basket lay near the entrance, empty yet full of potential. "Herbalism isn't so much different from alchemy. Tell me, if you're not afraid, what attracted you to this trade?"

She repressed a giggle at this, trying her hoof at some rhyming of her own, although she knew she probably wouldn't be as good at it as the striped mare.

• Like 1

Hoping this doesn't lead to even more questions, but sure that it will, she gathers her thoughts as she gathers the flowers she wants to buy. After some thought, she turns to the provided basket, dropping in to it her first selection. With her mouth free she states as simply as possible, "In the land in which I began my life, if we gathered none, we reaped only strife. I learned plants from a zebra, wise and old, I gather and mix, as I've been so told. Tradition guides my health plant choices here, with knowledge passed down, there's nothing I fear." Looking to examine and select more plants, she heads to another row. 

As she looks around, she spots the rarer ones in the corner. Gathering a few, she takes them back to the basket she already filled a little. Heading back, she takes a nibble of the peony, then takes a few of them to the basket as well. Enjoying the simplicity of this herb and flower selection, she wonders how do many plants with varied environmental requirements were able to grow here. Happy, nonetheless, to be able to find so many plants on her list.

Edited by TessQ85
I may have come down with something serious. Sorry for the absence.
  • Like 1

How do so many plants grow in one place? The answer, unsurprisingly, would be alchemy. Special soil for a special garden ~

Clearing her throat, she steels herself for her own round of verbal rhyming rhythmatics. "A story unfamiliar, I must say, for a mare from a land so prosperous and gay." Well... Gay in a sense. Her hometown wasn't always the happiest, or the most prosperous, but it's the place she prospered the most. "Although knowledge passed down I must agree, can be a liberating experience which allows..." She paused here, fidgeting with concentration. "... One to work very freely?" She cracked a wavering grin.

"Apologies if my emulation is insesntitive, I just find the habit highly alluring- in a platonic fashion, I assure you."

• Like 1

Taken, a little, by the flattering attempt at mimicry, Zecora can easy see that this strange pony might look up to other herbalist and should treat them with similar respect. Just because her methods are not the same, doesn't mean she deserves any shame. Formulating her thoughts she wished to express, she said, "Platonic or not, matters none at all. Friendship I seek, please come for tea, this fall. No rushed invite, just a welcomed smart guest, plants be or topic, easy, the rest." Hoping her invite was well received as an opportunity to "talk shop" and learn a bit from each other.

• Like 1

She giggled, "I do like plants, and plants like me. But timewise I am always free." When she's not brewing potions in her secret lab, of course. She's eager to fill in commissions. "Although... " She tapped her chin, a thought crossing her mind. "There is a task I wish to complete, but my knowledge of monsters is incomplete. Blood from a creature with many heads I need, for it plays a vital role in a potion of mine, conceptually a seed."

• Like 1

Thinking of the other shops she needs to visit today, especially for her favorite tea and some of the more common flowers and plants she was hoping to find, she decided it was time to close up the exchange and invite for another chat later on, over tea, likely. She said, simply, "I have more errands, these few plants, I'll take. I invite you to tea, biscuits I'll bake." She places some bits on the nearest counter, a generous amount for the flowers she selected, hoping that left the unicorn pleased with their business. The invite to tea and biscuits was something she learned from her dealings with the royal sisters but mostly Rarity. Flutershy was very helpful in all of this as well. They are all great influences on how she interacts with others, now.

• Like 1

She watched the money drop, pursing her lips, and then nodded to the zebra with a small, wilted smile. "Aye, I'll take you up on that offer. Next week, perhaps?" She doesn't plan on blowing up her lab that day, so she's theoretically available then.

She shrugged offering a hoof to shake. "A pleasure doing business with you either way. te deseo suerte y fortuna ~"

• Like 1

Tentatively meeting the gestured hoof with her own, she ended up just clopping the hooves together and feeling awkward. She said, to the unicorn in front of her, "Good fortune to you, I'll see you again. Of course, for tea, we'll surely meet up then." Taking the flowers she purchased and putting them into her satchel, she trotted out the door, attempting to find the other things she needed before she had to head home again.

• Like 1

Rose sighed as she watched the zebra leave, absently collecting the bits and looking them over, but not really seeing them as the glint of sunlight sparked off their aurum edges.

"What a strange pony," she said to herself in the silence left behind. She looked over the assorted plants of her garden, thinking about which of them may make a decent brew of her own. If she meets up for tea, she'd like to have something to show for it. Perhaps not tea, but a treat native to her region? Yes, flans, those are always nice. And she'll need to get her basket back, too, so that's an excuse to go if she gets distracted.

Yeah! It's decided, she'll go meetup with this Zecora... Er...

"Wait!" Rose was quick to catch up to the zebra, barely wonder after her short sprint due to self-improvements. "I don't even know where you live! Are you going to come to my store instead?" She needed to know this stuff, dammit! Oh, how the mundane details so easily slip her mind. 

• Like 1

Looking back as she hears the unicorn, Rose, calling out. A spark of realization flashes across her face. She rummages through her satchel for a map of Ponyville and points to the town hall. To express better what she had in mind, she said, "On the day that we want to meet for tea, you'll come here, the town hall is where I'll be. What time, what day would you like to meet here? Me, your Everfree guide, nothing you'll fear." Certain that these words would relay enough information to her new acquaintance that she knew what the plan was and that she needed to select a day and time to meet.