SteelEagle

[SPONSORED] A Season's Greetings (Open: Ponyville)

“Since joining up with the Navy, I guess. Well, aside from the time between leaving and getting this ship, I didn’t do much in there.” She shrugged, not seeming to notice Rose’s blush. Or at least attributing it to the alcohol. “Maybe before the Navy? I seem to remember going out in boats as a filly.”

”How about you? How long have you been doing your thing?” She asked after a moment of silence, giving up on putting a more concrete timeline together. 

• Like 2

Dunnie would stand straight, tall, proud! Just like how she learned. Of course, behind and out of the way of the official swearing in, and definitely away from Spoiled Rich. Twilight recited the entire speech, and the entire oath from memory. Not surprising since she was the Princess of books. As Spoiled Rich repeated the oath, Dunnie watched with scrutiny from behind her mask. So many promises in those sentences, would she really hold true to all of them? For some reason, the pegasus was doubtful.

When the swearing in was over, Dunnie didn't clap. Of course she didn't, she was a guard on duty! However, when the crowd broke, Dunnie took a glance over to Blueblood and caught his signal. She nodded at him and went to approach Spoiled. "Congratulations, Mayor Spoiled Rich." She spoke deliberately, professionally. "House Platinum congratulates you on your victory, and hopes the best for you and Ponyville. I will now take my leave back to the Prince."

She turned and flew over the crowd back over to Blueblood. After removing her mask, she nuzzled back instantly. "No apologies required." She said with a grin to her stallion, "It wasn't so bad afterall. She wasn't mean to me." Her wings puffed up against his side as she walked with him back.

When he offered to relieve them, Dunnie's eyes lit up, "Really?!" She beamed and leaned in to peck Bluey on his lips, wings fluttering in delight, "Thank you, thank you! I'm probably gonna go talk to Fire some, I think she brought some Jubel too! I could smell it from those barrels. It's one of Muggo's recipes, and those barrels look familiar too." She spoke rapid fire, teeming with excitement. "You can come along too, both of you." She said to Crusader and Bluey. "Or unless you two want to spend more time more alone." She grinned, "Either way!"

She flew off again, this time after Fire. Just as quickly as she took off, she landed down next to the red mare, pulling her in close for a hug with a wing from the side while the brown pegasus nuzzled against Fire's cheek. "Heeeeeeey, Fire!" Dunnie said, grinning wide, "It's good to see you here! Seeing Squall without you, I thought you might actually have your hoof cleaved off!" She chuckled and gave a wing wave to Swift. "Did you actually almost get your hoof cut off though? I could have sworn I have told you to put padding in your punch daggers." It was true, as with most weapons, agility and precision came at the cost of protection.

"Oh, and this Muggo's jubel? Does it have the 'good-stuff' in it? I've been trying to lay off of any drink like that myself." She put a hoof on one of them, remembering the time Muggo, Fire, and Dunnie had spent together.

• Like 3

Ah, she should have expected such an inquiry. "It depends on whether you are referring to my practice of alchemy or my own naval career,' she mused. "I would say my primary career began soon after my grandfather's passing. It is what sparked my passion for potioncraft, and with the focus on life extension in particular. Such a tired, old stallion... " She hung her head and sighed. "He did so dearly love me, in his own way."

There was a moment of silence as she mourned his passing, but that passed quick enough, and she continued. "I would say I was a little over eleven then. The servants refused to tolerate my presence in the absence of Mister Chronicle, so I was forced out into the streets of my hometown, Port Sierra. Obviously, I couldn't fund my research and maintain my health on what few reales- er... Bits I possessed, so I hired on as a cabinmare for a merchant vessel.

From there, the story is rather straightforward-" if one omits her counterpart's love affair in between. One, she noted, that failed horribly in the end for then both. "I spent upwards to seven years  earning my place amongst the crew and, eventually, became captain-" not necessarily promoted, though. That implied they had a choice in the matter. "From there... I'd say ten plus years on the sea. 

Luna's Rose was a fine vessel indeed..."

• Like 3

Prince Blueblood & Star Crusader

Blueblood chuckled to see Dunnie run off excitedly, like a filly let out to play.  "What do you say, Star?  Would you like to join her over the Jubel, or was there somewhere else you wanted to be?"

The amazonian mare looked back at him, head tilted slightly.  "I should like to stick with you, I think.  It has been a while since I've been home, and I've missed you."  She took a look over the party again.  "And I believe matters are running smoothly enough that you can join in the festivities as well."

Blueblood grinned.  "You know, I was hoping you'd say that.  I was rather looking forward to the Jubel myself, come along!"  He made a leisurely pace towards where Fire, Swift, and now Dunnie were congregated around the drink.  Along the way, he thought he overheard the alchemist talking to the captain about... immortality?  Was that serious?  Well, he supposed all who dealt in magical research got around to the question eventually.  He had to admit, growing up among alicorns had given him no small amount of wing envy, as it were, so the Prince would be quite interested in the question himself.  Of course, traditionally, being bestowed the gift of eternal life usually had some sort of trial or duty associated with it.  Alchemy could only reproduce the process, not lower the price.  *Maybe we could set up some sort of payment plan.  Immortality on installment?  Would that work?*  Theoretically, if the powers that be accepted credit.  Tartarus help you if you defaulted on that loan, though!

Upon arrival at the little congregation, Blueblood took a seat behind Dunnie, with Star on the other side.  Her wingspan was enough for her to drape her wing upon them both, however, which she did.  Such a display of affection said clearly enough that they were all 'off-duty' now, and could converse candidly.  "Phew, can't say I've ever been so glad to be quit of the official duties of a party.  Twilight is welcome to them, tonight!"

• Like 2

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm nodded when she heard Raven tell Myth that she had to be quite skilled with magic in order to make illusions like the ones that she had. She also nodded when Raven said that they should go find a table that they could sit at. It felt good to get back to the way that things had started. She saw the wave and a smile from Fire Walker and she returned the wave with a smile. At the very least whatever Swift had told her didn't stick with her, or at least she had a good way of not showing it did. As it was though, she was currently with Swift, and she wanted to be as far away from him right now as possible. She looked back to the discussion in front of her.

She listened as Myth said that she had seen the magic from Princess Twilight's spell and saw that it was like some sort of shielding magic. She said that she figured that it was taken care of but she wondered what it could have been for. She said that she would be more than happy to spend the evening with them and make friends though. That this was what Hearth's Warming was all about. She then gave Blueblood a nod and acknowledgement before he went off to deal with Dunnie. She gave him a nod too. She hadn't ever met this Spoiled Rich before, but from how everypony reacted to the mention of her name, she sounded like the exact kind of pony that she was perfectly okay with not meeting.

As it was though, she heard Myth speak up again and talk about her skill wasn't with magic at all. In fact she could barely do a simple levitating spell. She told them that her special talent was illusions though. She couldn't help but giggled as she accented that point whens he said that her "dogs" were tired from standing the entire time when Raven pointed out the table. Ice Storm nodded and followed. "A talent in illusions is actually pretty amazing and you certainly had me fooled! My own special talent is the creation and manipulation of Ice and Snow. I can use my magic to create Ice out of basically thin air, and then manipulate it to do what I want with it," she said as she lit up her horn to make a small block of ice appear. "And then from there I can reshape it, or even change it's density to where the ice can be stronger than wood or steel. Before I found out all of it's defensive and protective uses, I used to just use my magic to run a frozen treats parlor named Frozen Delights that specialized in fresh home made frozen treats. They still specialize in that even though I'm not the one directly running them any more," Ice said with a smile as they sat down. "So, needless to say, when I opened my eyes and saw the snow falling at first, I though my emotions had gotten the better of me and I was creating that snow with my own magic. So I can attest that your illusions are really good," she added.

When Myth asked about the eggnog, she spoke up again. "There sure is! Punch to, and once they get the barrel set some booze to," she said levitating some of the eggnog over for Myth. "Now, do you want that as is, or would you like that as frozen drink instead?" she asked before turning to Raven. "How about you love? you want your punch as a slush or are you good?" she asked her marefriend giving her a nuzzle.

• Like 3

"Well, Trust me when I say that learning to cast something in a non-traditional way makes you a stronger mage then most. After all, if my own horn hadn't been cracked like it was, I probably wouldn't have become as stiller of a spell slinger as I am... When you have to weave the aether directly, instead of relying on spell forms..." Raven said, before drawing back a little, blushing with embarrassment. "Sorry, I get quite passionate about magic, especially Aether." She said, smiling. "Oh, Yes please! Slushy punch." She nuzzled Icy back, wrapping a hoof around her.

• Like 1

(Just got around to reading the posts, but Scarlett and Rose are currently on Scarlett’s airship. They may rejoin the party later though.)

Scarlett nodded as she listened to Rose’s tale. It was unfortunate that Rose had to sail to fund what she actually wanted to do, but there was nothing for it at this point. As much as she liked her crew, she hoped she wasn’t holding them back from pursuing their dreams. She only wanted them here if they actually wanted to be here, and she’d be more than willing to help them out if they wanted to leave. 

“Well, at least you’re free to do as you please now, that’s good. Enjoy life to the fullest, go and do whatever you want, that’s how I live.” Scarlett smiled, taking another swig of her drink. 

• Like 1
  • Hearthoof 1

"Is there any other way to live?" She put on a dopey smile, but it was full of passion and warmth- part of that likely from her drink. This was... her third cup? After four glasses of wine prior. She looked into her cup, noticing there was just enough for a toast, and raised it high, supporting herself with a single hoof on the table. "To freedom, and living well ~"

"Not as far as I'm concerned." She chuckled, raising her own cup in response to the toast. The griffin did as well, and the three clinked the cups together before finishing the drinks. Letting out another satisfied sigh, Scarlett set down her cup and stood from the table. "Well, this has been fun. You want to head back or hang here some more? Both sound like good ideas to me right now."

• Like 1

// sorry guys i don't get notifications unless i open my browser which i don't always do lol //

Myth watched as Icy cast her spell, and the look of wonder on her face was unmistakable. "Wow! I... I've never seen magic like this!" she tilted her head and squinted at the block of ice "You're not teleporting it... and.... wow, I think you might be freezing the water in the air! That's impressive!" she guessed, not having gotten that good a look at the process. "And you say you can change its density? Harder than steel?" her face lit up at the prospect of being able to study a new kind of magic "You MUST show me again!" she clapped her hooves excitedly, her demeanor like that of a foal on Hearth's Warming morning, completely forgetting about the drinks. When Icy gave her her egg nog, she forgot herself and took it in her magic, not remembering about the problem she had with drinks and levitation. The drink lazy floated, tilting this way and that as her magic weakly held the stein with no control over its orientation, the sloshing of the liquid further upsetting its container until it spilled everywhere, taking about a second for this to happen. "Oops, my bad" she blushed "Yeah, like I said. 'barely'." she laughed.

When Raven mentioned her cracked horn and "weaving the Aether" directly Myth's face lit up like a Hearth's Warming tree "You do that, too!?" she said excitedly "That's how I learned to do illusions! At least... I mean I never really came up with a name for it, and I can't exactly read books about it, but.... that sounds a lot like what I do!" she bounced up and down "I never thought I would ever meet anypony who sees magic like I do!" she snort-laughed "Well, not sees magic like I do, but... you know what I mean, right?"

• Like 1

Rose Compass wasn't sure she was really... Fit for social company in that moment. She hid it well, but she was wasted. "Hehe... I do not believe I am suitable for their company at the moment. Best to wait out the alcohol... For now."

She made to stand up, blinking and swaying on the spot before giggling. "Were there any places on the ship you wanted to show me? I must admit I am very interested in understanding the mechanisms that grant this vessel flight. Or... I suppose... Did you have any topics you wished to broach with me?"

She was curious, dizzyingly so. She needed to sit down again until Scarlett made a decision. "Oh! I know," she placed a hoof on the table, looking at the hybrid intently. "Perhaps we may trade stories of our travels. I am certain you do not spend your days idling here. What lands have you borne witness to in your years of travel? What mysteries, both terrible and great, have you seen with your own eyes?" She seemed eager to delve into the topic. One sailor to another. 

• Like 1

Well, seemed Rose couldn’t hold her alcohol quite as well as Scarlett could. At least she was aware enough to know she wasn’t ready to go back to the party. Scarlett nodded, sitting back down as Rose requested stories of her travels. 

“Oh yeah, I’ve been all over the place. I won’t claim to have visited everywhere in the world, especially with how vast it is, but I have been to many places. One time near Breakbeak City, the ship got attacked by a bunch of griffins and at one point I was fighting three of them at once. That was a tough fight, but with plenty of dodging and getting strikes in when I could, I managed to take one down before birdie here came to the rescue. One-on-one, they were much easier to deal with.” Scarlett said, smiling at the memory and patting the griffin engineer on the back. 

• Like 1

Rose giggled, a cross between drunken and modestly humored, narrowing her eyes on the red hybrid with a coy sort of smile as she remembered her own trials on the sea. "My my, three whole combatants at once? That surely must have been trying." Maybe it was the acahol talking, but... There was something else there, an almost predatory twinkle in her eye as if she were sizing the other mare up, but it's gone as quickly as it comes, leaving behind the jolly good captain of old in its place as she raised her cup for another swig... Hmm... Odd, the rum's gone. Why is the rum always gone?

"Taking on multiple hostiles at once is indeed an impressive feat, but have you ever fought a sea monster?" Ah, she could see it now. After the aquisition of Luna's Rose, but before she became the feared monster known as Scylla. "During my voyages across the sea, I've encountered many a beastie that would sink me ship and eat the crew whole, but we'd always manage to drive them back. One stands out in my memory, though, if you want to hear it. It's hardly a tale for the faint of heart, so you shouldn't have any troubles with it."

• Like 1

~~~Ice Storm~~~

Ice Storm nodded briefly forgetting that the nod wouldn't do much good here before she spoke up in response to Myth. "Yup! I can create the water in the air or simply produce the water needed with my aether. It just depends on what the humidity in the area is like. Out in Las Pegasus I use aetheric water more than I do from the air," she said as she created another block of ice and then compacted it down. The ice would go from cloudy to crystal clear and upon doing so became quite strong.  She also made a second one of normal ice to demonstrate the difference. "The second one I made as just basic ice. It's filled with air pockets inside of it from the rapid freezing and is no denser than an ice cube you'd find in a drink," she as she watched the mare struggle with her magic to hold the egg nog. She couldn't help but smile as the mare reiterated the barely comment.

"This first one I made I compressed until the ice was crystal clear which means this is solid water. There's no air or impurities in it at all," she said before she let both of them drop to the ground from above her head. The cloudy block of ice shattered and the clear block of ice crushed one of the corners but was otherwise unharmed. She wasn't sure if she'd be able to see the ice though once her aether left the ice, if she understood how she explained that she could see magic. Of course when Raven responded to her question and asked for slush punch she smiled and made a small show of it, levitating the punch from the cup that she had and then swirling in thin before turning in into punch snow with just a bit a liquid left in it to make it a slush instead of straight snow cone. She sat the cup back in front of her marefriend before leaning into the hoof that was wrapped around her, nuzzling the mare that said hoof was attached to.

When Raven talked about weaving magic instead of using her horn, it appeared that Myth had done things similarly and that was how she used her illusion magic. An Idea came to Ice Storm. "Hey Raven, what if you and Myth compared notes? Perhaps we could find her a way that she could weave the spells without using her horn like you do. IF she's already doing that for her illusions, then she might be able to do some other utilitary spells like that as well. You may not be able to read the notes per-say, but having somepony to go over her findings with you and what she's done might help," she said with a smile as she thought of ways that she and or Raven could potentially help her. That was of course, if she wanted the help to begin with. She put the offer out there all the same though.

• Like 2

"Kinda hard to fight a sea monster when you're flying through the sky. Dragons, on the other hand, you can definitely run into those up here." Scarlett shrugged, though she smiled a bit. "I want to hear your story though, so go on." She wasn't about to turn down hearing a story like that, especially not from a new friend that was a fellow sailor. 

"You go first, I'll tell you about those dragons afterwards." She smiled again, getting comfortable as she waited for the story to come.

• Like 1

Rose seemed to have to sober up for this, for as much as a drunken pony could without water or a convenient sobriety potion. Blast her negligence. Oh well...

Looking down at the table, her eyes traced over images that nopony could see, her ears twitching to sounds nopony could hear. "It was a surprisingly fair day," she started, her entire demeanor having shifted towards something more akin to a melancholy narrator. Her accent also made a return, tinting her words with an exotic flair. "We were skating the Strait of Maressina, a  mercenary brigantine hot on our stern. Luna's Rose was a galleon made to steal the wind, though, and we had held the weather gage for some time. I and some of my trained crew filled the sails with a powerful gust, but our pursuers must have been of a troublingly tenacious breed, for whatever magics we used, both mundane and miraculous, we failed to escape the sights of their ponderous vessel.

So occupied were we with our own silent spat, however, that we also failed to notice we had tread right into domain of Charybdis, The Devourer of Seas." She had seen it coming. It was an intentional ploy on her part, and one that should have, for all intents and purposes, paid off... "The waves began to whirl, fighting for the reigns of Luna's Rose, but she was a strong vessel and resisted the will of the baleful currents, trudging for the edge of the whirlpool's influence.

Our pursuers evidently failed to comprehend the danger they had so foolishly placed themselves in. I and my crew watched, in awe... And in woe... As a jagged island of stone rose from the infernal depths to cleave the ship in two..." Here, Rose's voice dropped, her breathing picking up as she directed a thousand-yard stare at the tabletop, lost in the motions of her mind. "There was no way we could survive in that. A storm had picked up, summoned by Charybdis'wrath. It was hard to see, hard to think- my crew, they tried so hard to keep the ship in order, to hold onto one another as the waves threatened to spill us into the drink, and massive pillars strafed our hull."

She green mare shivered, remembering the cries of her crew as some of them slipped and fell overboard, instantly stolen by the great sea monster. "I couldn't save them all. I couldn't command a strong enough gust to allow us to escape without being ripped in half by one of those pillars. It was foolish of me to have ventured into her territory... " She sighed.

• Like 2

BvPhcWP.jpg?2

She felt a bit odd, there were so many ponies here and she only knew a few. She wanted to say hello to Princess Twilight, but she had royal duties to do. And you do not get in the way of those! If it wasn’t for Dunnie, she would have found a proper excuse to leave the castle and head over to her folk’s place with her stallion at her side.

Fire Walker made her way over to her friend and gave her a friendly hug.  “Actually, this is Muggo-Free Jubel. No alcohol."

Muggo's festive Jubel Punch involved four liters of chilled Jubel, one liter of chilled ginger ale (Ginger YELL Ginger Ale), two  46 oz cans unsweetened chilled pineapple, Sam 'O' Gonka Vodka. She was not sure how much, and pineapple slices, cranberries and mint leaves. And wallah! You have Muggo Punch!

"I kind of...", had she told her former colt-friend? Um. Probably not.  "I ah..", she brought her voice down low. "I'm having a foal. Just found out during my last-last little job. Dealt with a good deal of nonsense with Applejack. Probably tell you later. You might not believe it, but it all happened and I've been following the book and making sure to do everything correctly.  No soft cheese. Avoiding wet paint. No caffeine! So no Earl Grey and no Dreaded Motaba Blend Coffee! And no Alcohol!" There was a good deal more that was part of a very big book she borrowed from the castle's library. The 'No's' were all written on a rather long scroll that was included with the book and when she opened it, the darn thing rolled out of the castle and towards whatever Ponyville called its 'Main Street'. Snagged poor Pinkie Pie in the process. "Still too early to tell if I'm getting a colt or filly."

• Like 3

"Oh, good! If you get the ginger ale and the pineapple, it tastes the same with or without alcohol anyway." And that's what made it so equally dangerous and beloved. Living life on the edge.

Dunnie looked over her shoulders at Blueblood and Star Crusader as the light blue pegasus' wing draped over her. She smiled at them both and turned back to her former mare-friend. "Oh, yeah. You told me you had a little bun in the oven when we saw each other at the wedding, remember?" She giggled lightly, "It's okay if you don't. I looked different when we saw eachother then. And you've obviously been up to a lot, what with almost getting cleaved in twine." She spoke in a sympathetic tone, smiling to the red mare. "Oh, well you should keep me updated with your foal! I'll be wanting to know more about them!" She leaned in close to give Fire a little nuzzle on the cheek, nickering softly with puffed up wings. "Also no soft cheese? That sounds like a nightmare!" No more enchiladas....did that cheese count as soft cheese, though?

"Also, you could get a filly or a colt and they could do the ol'" Dunnie stuck a wing out with two primary feathers sticking out, then twisted to invert them, "Switcheroo, y'know?"

"Oh, and if you want to tell me later that's fine too. If you need to leave, don't let me keep you." She continued her sympathetic smile and tone, these days everything felt so busy.

• Like 2

"Just as well."  Blueblood remarked, taking a cup of the booze-free beverage.  "Though unwinding would be a good idea this holiday season, keeping a sober head for the rest of the night would be best, all things considered."  He took a sip, just as good as how he remembered.  He needed to pay Muggo's tavern a visit, it really had been far too long by now.

Blueblood, or Bluebelle, had met Fire at the wedding, but Star had not, so this was the first she had heard of it.  "Congratulations."  And with an effort that nearly made an audible creak, she managed to pull her mouth into a visible smile.  A crooked, unpracticed one, but warm and genuine all the same.  " I can't speak to the accuracy of that list, much of that is old mare's tales.  Of course, mother told me that right after saying that she made sure to drink a cup of Apple Cider vinegar and eat a handful of peanuts every night when she was pregnant with me and Java.  Neither of us grew up with food allergies, so who's to say she's wrong?"

Blueblood laughed, leaning into Star as she pulled him and Dunnie ever closer to her.  True, these days seemed so busy, but it was at times like this, where friends and family could slow down and spend time together, that really marked the rhythm of life, reminding everypony of why it all was worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

Well....at least he managed to not screw up too much. Still, it will take lot of effort on his part to make it up for Ice. After all, how he could help out a mare who had everything...?

Business-stallion was stirred from his self-pity,  when Spoiled Rich moved in for her inauguration. Dunnie may had to kept things professional, but Swift wasn't bound in such way - and he didn't liked one bit an attitude she shown to his friend. Something that he expressed by glaring daggers at soon-to-be mayor and doing 'Watching You' motion with his hoof. Squall knew, that she knew, that he was even more wealthy then her husband - thus he could cause a whole lot of trouble if he desired. She was wife of millionaire...and Count Squallcoast was billionaire.

"While her choice may be one by Ponyville residents...I sure hope there will be somepony breathing down her neck." he mused to those close to him while joining the clapping - without much enthusiasm of course. "Not getting her too comfortable in the role. Being mayor is duty, not privilege."

"Did you told your parents yet, dear?" Squall asked, when Fire mentioning visiting her family.. Come to think of it, withholding this information till Hearts Warming would be smart move on Fire's part. After all, what better present for her parents, then letting them know they would become grand-parents...again? Noblepony could only admonish himself for not doing the same, being the only child, that would make the reveal much more special. Yet another one, in his string of poor decisions.

Squall stirred when he heard alchemist mentioning immortality. Swift had an occasion to see one such attempts recently, which made him exchange knowing glances with Twilight. Intentions were noble....but....well, they did paved a road to hell, didn't they?

That said, he chose to remain silent - he made enough of a buffoon of himself already, he admitted to by paranoiac just moments ago, and if anyone should a say about giving this line of research green light or not, it was Sparkle....

Thankfully, as Dunnie, Blueblood and Star Crusader moved closer, another, more pleasant topic came up to distract the noble - namely how he and Fire are to become parents.

"It will be filly." Swift expressed with confidence, while moving closer to Fire. "....When Fire told me, I could sniff smell of the sea in the air. It's...kinda hereditary to us, Squallcoat's. I am usually not into superstition's, but my family chronicles mention that every-time one of the parent's could smell sea salt, daughter would be born without fail." Squall explained.

"That and.....Blue...I want to ask you...to be one of her Nameparent's." stallion asked. it was an old tradition, now mostly practice only by most ancient noble houses. According to it, each parent were to chose two ponies to bear the honor - male and female - and apparently Squall decided that Blueblood was to be first one.

"And speaking of children....Well, what about you Blue?" Swift asked. "About time you should think about furthering main Platinas bloodline? Perhaps return to roots by adding some warrior blood hmmm? Can't expect me and Pretzy to do everything." he said, while knowingly gazing at Dunnie and Star, while reminding Prince of their shared ancestry.

• Surprised 1

Raven smiled and took a sip from her slush, the coldness of it causing a small shiver to run down her body. She smiled wider at Myth's excitement, though she frowned a little when Icy spoke, thinking about what she said. "Well.. I mean... I still use my horn, just... I don't use the normal spell forms they teach in magic schools and the like... Actually, thinking about it, I think you have a similar way of casting, Icy... I mean, you're self taught, right? Both of us could probably help... Though... I've never taught anypony anything..." She said, her brow crinkled in thought. After a minute, an idea came, that excited her. "Hey! You see magic, right? I've been working on something that's eluded me, partially because of the different way I cast, and could really use another hoof... That is, if It's okay with Icy... She's not only my marefriend, but my boss." She spoke quickly, the excitement clear in her voice. If she could have someone who could actually see magic, maybe she could find an easier way to make her foci...

Myth watched again as Icy made more ice in the air. Her suspicions confirmed themselves when she watched how her magic pulled in water droplets from the surrounding air, gathering them into a solid chunk. It happened quickly, so it was of no surprise she didn't see it clearly the first time. She watched as the magic that held the ice together increased, fueled by the magic coming from Icy's horn. Myth seemed to be really riveted by the demonstration, not even caring that her coat was still soaked in egg nog. She watched as the second ice cube formed, this one left at a normal density. The denser one could be told from the normal one by its magical components. She was sure there were some visual cues for others, which Icy confirmed, but what she could see was that the magic that held things together was stronger in the denser ice cube than the other one. If she'd dropped them, that one would probably— and then she dropped them and sure enough the normal ice cube shattered, and the dense one stayed mostly intact.  Myth used her weak levitation magic to pick up the dense ice and look at it closely "Oh my." she said as she hefted it, the cube spinning lazily in place "That's even heavier than it looks." she set it down on the table as gently as she could and was then distracted by the show Icy put on.

Her magic swirled around the liquid from the cup (she only assumed it was punch based on the conversation) and the magic seemed to change in its quality as it playfully danced about the stream, drawing the heat out of the drink, while also keeping the liquid moving and swirling to keep it from solidifying, The magic seemed to be having its own fun with the show, drawing in magic Icy was not controlling which danced in patterns unseen to the naked eye. Myth smiled at what the magic was doing for her. She'd learned that while predictable enough to use to a unicorn's benefit, magic was also a bit unpredictable, having a bit of a mind of it's own. When the drink was returned to the cup and the show ended, the magic dispersing back into the air, myth clapped her hooves. "Very talented!" she complimented. One of the things she loved about magic demonstrations like that was that the magic seemed to know its audience, giving Myth her own private show every time. She always appreciated it and liked to keep it mostly her little secret.

When Icy suggested she compare notes with Raven she giggled "I'm not sure how much good notes will be, but I would love nothing more than to talk about my favorite thing in Equestria." she smiled "Magic is my friend. And talking about it always fills me with the utmost happiness." she jumped up and down in her excitement.

When it was mentioned how Raven casts magic, Myth remembered something that she had mentioned before, but she was too distracted to look, which she did now. "Your horn." she pointed "It's leaking. I remember you mentioned it was cracked, but I wasn't really paying enough attention." she frowned "It may have helped you to learn magic like nopony else, but.... it really is sad when ponies' connection to magic is strained like that...." she now started looking closely at Raven's horn getting in real close "It must be really physically draining to cast magic with this leak you have..." she stopped herself just short of grabbing her horn and pulling her in to look even closer, and blushed "S-sorry." she laughed nervously, scratching the back of her head.

Myth smiled again when Raven suggested that her magic sight could help her in some way "If my seeing differently can further your understanding of magic, then I am at your service. If there's one thing that gives me purpose, it's sharing my love of magic."

Edited by KaityKat
I forgot to respond to a thing. hopefully it's not too late to add lol.
  • Like 1

Somewhere, on the other side of the castle, Mayor Rich felt the hackles on her neck rise.  She attributed it to poor ventilation on Twilight's part, and thought no more of it.

Blueblood, meanwhile, was pleasantly surprised to be offered the nameparent role.  Besides the old ceremonial role, it had a legal significance, as one obligated to take care of the foal if some disaster should befall Swift and Fire.  At least, that was how the Prince saw it; he took these old things seriously when they came up.  "I would be honored."  He replied simply.

The topic of foals of his own... well, that was a more sensitive issue.  Not that he didn't want them, of course!  All three of them, in fact, wanted them very much.  But given the latest word he had from his doctor, this may be one of those situations where the spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak.  "Well, I'm certainly trying my level best, as both Star and Dunnie can testify!"  He passed over the issue with a laugh, inwardly hoping that Princess Twilight's list of suggested magical aids and remedies could make up for where his efforts could not.

• Like 2
  • Aubergine 1

Scarlett’s expression became more somber as the story went on. Sure, it started out well enough, but that mattered little in light of the conclusion. She let things sit for a while, giving the lost crew a moment of silence. 

“A somber tale, to be sure. Unfortunately, that is the reality of battle, especially as the commander. Not everyone is going to make it out whole, some not at all, and as commander it’s easy to shoulder the blame wether you put it there yourself or not. It is always hard to say goodbye.” She spoke solemnly, the words of one who had been through that pain herself. She stared at the table for a moment after that, remembering those she had lost. 

• Like 1

Rose took the time to memorize those she lost, the somber silence stretching on. It may have been the alcohol influencing her mind, or the general atmosphere of Ponyville, but in that moment she felt their absenses all the greater, even if she was a mere copy of the true hero of that dark hour.

After enough time had passed, she sighed. "They wouldn't want us to dwell on their departure too long; the past is in the past, and we live on to honor their memory." She finally looked up from the table to look at Scarlett, her face the picture of calm. "I did manage to bring us to safety. An incredible fest it was, or so my crew recounted. Perhaps I will share that with you some other time. For now... " She stretched, yawning. Finally all that rum was catching up to her, thankfully in the good way. "I grow wary of this stygian hour. Perhaps you had something to enliven the conversation again?"

• Like 1