Cooling Off before Warming Up (ATTN: ROTL Runners)

Blueblood

Berry Punch

"Ahh... that's better."

The Burgundy colored mare had just come out of a bath where the last of the tree sap from Whitetail Woods had been scrubbed out of her hide, leaving her feeling clean and smooth enough to open her shop to the public.  Or, at least, that part of the public she had meet during this year's Running of the Leaves.  She had cold drinks meant to rehydrate and relax, always a need after runs.

And as for what would come from handsome stallions and mares all hanging out and sharing beverages?  Well, she'd let the night take them where it may!  

• Like 2

Tiger had been looking forward to this since Berry had suggested it partway through the race. After cleaning himself up, mostly sweat and dust, though he had gotten a bit of sap on him when helping the others out. It was worth it though, so he didn’t mind. 

Newly cleaned and wearing his typical pants, Tiger entered the bar. He smiled over at Berry, winking as he walked over. 

“Long time no see, huh? What kind of drinks do you have in here anyways?” He chuckled, smiling over at her. 

• Like 1

Berry Punch

Berry grinned to see the first of her fellow runners join her, returning his wink as she sashayed over to pull a rather large stemmed glass down from the shelves.  "Fruit juices and wines, from everything that isn't apples.  Don't want to cut into the Apple Market share, you know?  Plus, I can't make cider like they do, and believe me, I've tried!"  She set the glass down, leaning over the bar as she took in the stallion with her eyes.  "So, what can I get for ya?  If you're stuck for choice, I can recommend the sangria.  I make that before every Running of the Leaves, it's the last time of year I make it before switching over to mulled wine for the winter."

Whatever Tiger ended up ordering would go into the glass, a generous pour, but Berry was in a good mood, and it showed.  "When you think the others will show up?"

• Like 1

It took considerable scrubbing, but Tongue Twister managed to get clean from all that muck.

She sighed - her socks, which used to be white, were now charcoal black.  One of the results of Hou's corruptive influence.

She formed her right 'wing' into a claw and stretched it across the bathroom to grab a towel to dry herself off with.

"How does that not disturb you ?" the Abomination asked, "You stole that power from Hou Shuren just a few weeks ago, and yet you seem to have mastered it !  How are you controlling it to such a degree ?"

"I'm not controlling it." she replied in thought, "Alchemic mercury responds to thoughts.  I merely imagine the shape and movements I wish it to make, and it conforms and moves.  I don't have to know HOW it works; only accept that it does.  Doing otherwise risks the centipede's dilemma.

And for your information, I did not steal this power !  Hou gave it to me of her own free will ! She - just didn't realize it at the time ....

And as dad always says : 'Refunds ?  Who said anything about refunds ?'

As to finding it disturbing ?  Of course I do.  But I'll adjust and adapt.  It's not like fretting about it is going to improve anything."

She fastened her cape back on and tucked her wings underneath it before smoothing it out.

One could tell she was a pegasus without seeing her wings; TT figured it would be difficult to explain why her wings look like slightly melted metal that slithered and moved against gravity all on its own if anypony saw them.

---

Tongue Twister opened the door to Berry's bar and looked around.

There weren't many of the others here yet - just Berry and Tiger Blood at the moment.

"So, what's on tap for tonight Berry ?" she asked.

• Like 1

fe3cee76e40aeb606e0417822c078f0a_view.pn

Two! It took two full bottles of shampoo to get the maple sap out of Midnight's coat. He dried off with a towel before looking into the mirror. "I don't think I'll ever drink Maple Sap again..." he sighed before moving on to the next task. After a quick comb of his mane and tail, and making sure his fangs where pearly white, he would take out a rather odd bottle. "Might as well give this a try," he said as he splashed some cologne his father had given him years ago. "Yep.." he said shaking his head. "Still as potent as ever. They'll smell me before they see me."

Midnight would finally arrive at Berry's shop not long after Tiger and Tongue Twister. "Well, we all cleaned up fairly well," he would chuckle. "Sometimes being this fluffy however is a curse. That's what the hold up was." Midnight's nose would perk up as he got a sent of the sangria. It smelt sooo sweet to the Thestral. "If I didn't know any better Berry, I'd say you where making Bat Pony bait," as he chuckled. "I'll take a large glass of your sangria." He would smile to both Tiger and Twister. "A toast to our lovely host. Hehe, that rhymed."

• Like 1

"Hard to say, since they had more to clean up than me. Still, I'm sure at least Midnight is coming when he's ready." Tiger shrugged, taking a seat as he waited. He didn't have to wait long though, as two others showed up soon enough. He gave a wave to the pegasus he recognized from the race, winking at her and Midnight as they entered. As far as drinks go though, he followed Berry's suggestion and Midnight's lead, raising his glass of sangria in response to Midnight's toast.

"I can second that, our host certainly is a lovely one." He chuckled, winking at Berry again. "Also, a toast to Tongue Twister! Congrats on winning, great racing out there."

• Like 2

Berry Punch

Well, now wasn't this a pleasant surprise!  The cute mare that actually won the race decided to take Berry up on the quickly offered invitation to her bar.  She greeted Twister with a friendly wave and wink.  "Welcome to afterparty, hun!  From the looks of things, we've got sangria.  Ever had that before?"  It was a sort of fruit punch made with red wine, with chilled or frozen fruit to keep the mix cold.  Quite tasty, and her most popular drink.  Especially among thestrals, as proved by the next one to walk through the door.

"Midnight!  I kind of thought you'd be the last to come in.  Shampoo hold out alright?"  She gave a sympathetic look as she poured out his drink.  "I'd like to show you how being fluffy makes you bait for other ponies."  She winked as she slid the glass down the bar.  "We're not officially open, so I can drink on the job, right?"  She laughed, pouring out some for herself. 

"Well, I said we did pretty good out there.  Let's raise a toast; here's to a great race!"

• Like 3

"Sangria ?  We always have that with our mom when we visit her family out in Las Pegasus !" TT replied to Berry, "Never fails to delight."

She lifted up her glass and toasted with Berry.  "A well run race, one and all !  We may even see some of you again next year, fates be willing."

• Like 3

Midnight had to laugh at Berry's comment about shampoo. "I think there may be a supply shortage in town for a week after today," he said raising another toast to Twister for winning. "To be honest part of me is just glad those two youngsters made it back. How about a toast to nopony getting lost this year," as he raised his glass, now noticeably lower then when he started. "Can't say nopony got hurt but...at least nopony died. And to next year as well!'

"So..." Midnight said swirling the contents of his glass, "There is something that I've had on my mind for a while, and ether it's the sangria talking, but I trust you all." Midnight would take a deep sigh. "When Princess Luna and Princess Celestia retired, it threw the Lunar Guard into disarray. I've been assigned all over Equestria in the recent months. It's how I ended up here this week after all. It's taking a toll, and not one that I had anticipated." Taking another drink, he would continue. "I enlisted because us bat ponies felt an unspoken loyalty to Princess Luna...Now then," he would pause in deep thought. "I recently completed my Officer's Candidate Courses...I have to choose now. It seems there are two paths I have. There is a Lieutenant position here in Ponyville or try for the Twilight Guard..." Taking one last drink, Midnight would finish the contents of his glass. "I trust you guys," as he looked to Tiger, "And especially your option as a fellow guard Tiger." 

• Like 2

Tiger had to admit, this sangria stuff was pretty tasty. He smiled a bit at the taste, looking over at Midnight as he brought up his dilemma. Interesting choices he supposed, but it’s not like he’d know the best option for somepony he had just met earlier that day. Still, he could offer his advice. 

“Well, that depends on where you really want to be. If you want to stick around Ponyville, I’d say take that lieutenant position. Otherwise, it’s a matter of measuring the pros against the cons. It took a while to figure out if I should take this Blueblood job, especially since he usually lives in Canterlot, but in the end I decided to go for it because it was a good offer and he wasn’t like most nobles.” He shrugged, looking over at Midnight. “I’d definitely like to spend more time with you, but don’t stick around just for us.”

• Like 2

Grinning at hearing that Tongue Twister was familiar with the fruity treat, Berry raised her glass to clink with the pegasus mare's first.  "It's always worked for me!"  She gave a hearty nod of agreement to Midnight's own toast as she clinked with him and took another sip.  "Agreed.  I think it'll be a little while longer before I'm OK with little Ruby running in the race.  Oh, she sleeping over with a friend tonight, just so you all know."  And the group here could do with that information what they will.

Speaking of information, Midnight was starting to open, and Berry felt herself slip into "barmare" mode.  Many ponies treated this place as a kind of confessional, if for no other reason that she was disincentivized to mock or flee the conversation.  Out of respect for her customers, she did try to keep a confidentiality about their secrets.  However, she hadn't run into a case before where her opinion was so biased.  Not that she was prevented in any way from sharing.  "Well, I can say for myself that I'd like to see you around here more myself.  That said, if you at all plan to have a family in the future, take the job here.  Canterlot is no place to raise a foal these days.  Take it from me, I was raised there and got in all kinds of trouble!"

• Like 4

Tongue Twister clinked Midnight's glass, for she agreed that no one getting lost or seriously hurt was a good thing.  She had to think about Midnight Oil's dilemma for a bit.

"Well, we're not sure how much help we could be." she stated, "We're starting up a new business venture that might require much travelling, so we probably won't be in Ponyville very often.  Maybe a day or two every month to check our mail for job offers.

But if our limited studies of Eastern philosophies have taught us anything, opportunity arises at the interplay between order and chaos.

If things are too orderly and static, look for the chaos of something new.

If things are too chaotic, look to the stability of order.

If being moved around so much is taking a toll on you Midnight, perhaps staying in one place would be a good idea.  Just for a little while, until Princess Twilight and her advisors can get everything sorted out.

If they need you, they'll know where to find you.

Unless we're mistaken, military assignments need not be permanent.  You could request a transfer to the Twilight Guard later, right ?

If you show competence and drive in Ponyville, they might be more likely to grant the request.

And who knows ?" she continued before taking a sip from her drink, "Maybe an even better opportunity may arise once things settle down."

• Like 1

"Protecting the royals? Redundant. Guardsponies in both cities? Abundant. And most of you, will agree, there is world outside those residences, out to see." a rhyming words of unicorn mare could be heard straight of the entrance. "Sorry I came, at such later hour. Had errands to run, and then - a shower." "Jade' continued smirking confidently - both because her smooth wordplay, and a dress she decided to wear. 'Good Doctor' decided to ditch the leotard, instead opting for an emerald evening dress that was chic, if bordering on scandalous. Completing the look were glasses with jade lens, and choker filled with dazzling green gemstones.

"What I meant by that, Midnight, Hoofsome, your talents and potential would be wasted with doing your best 'Canterlot Museum Exhibit' impression. All of 'Guard' is an Oil, but not all of Oil is a 'Guard', yes?" she said with a wink. "I knew soldiers who would hack their limb for your position. To see new places, meet new ponies, get yourself acquainted with sights, customs. New, new, NEW!" she said while rearing up and spreading her front legs, in unabashed approval of hedonism.

"We have one life, don't waste it. Rest is in the grave, for all....." she added, before adding in her thoughts "Except for me that is."

With that clear vocalization of her worldview, 'Beaker' strode with towards the counter. Just the glance at the list of drinks left Hou pleasantly surprised.

"My, my quite selection. As expected...well...aren't you one of 'successors' to be a next Queen of Cocktails Berry?" 'Jade' inquired. The few hours she spent between the race and her arrival were well spent...including some quick research on some of her fellow racers.

"I would say 'Bartendress' but I always leave best for the last. So why don't you 'Wow' us with your mixing skills, Punch, Dear?" unicorn mare asked, with encouraging smile.

"How about something.....upscale? Vieux Carré." 'Jade' asked, before leaning in and whispering into Berry ear. "You might only need to just stir it, but I hope by morning both of us will be shaking."  she said, before taking a seat doing her best 'innocent' impression.

"So..." she turned to rest of the room. "How about that karaoke session?"

Tongue Twister noted Jade's outfit - she'd dressed to the nines for an informal get together.

"Well, if you got it, flaunt it I suppose." she thought to herself, "And ethology must pay really well if that's her idea of casual."

She did agree with her 'you have one life, don't waste it' idea, but in moderation.  'Balance in all things', as those Neighpalese monks would say.  And, for some odd reason, the balance always needed to be moved closer to 'more fun !' than 'more responsibility !' :P

"Hmm - if seeing things through rose-colored glasses makes you foolishly optimistic, what does seeing things through jade-colored glasses do ?" she mused to herself.

"There's a karaoke machine in here ?  Neat !" she stated.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Midnight would nod as each of his friends spoke, taking mental notes. "Thanks everypony. I'll have to keep that in mind when-" he would recognize the voice of his kryptonite to his control, Jade. He would stifle a chuckle as he turned to see Jade. He would giggle a bit, the sangria taking hold as he saw how she was dressed. If her tight leotard from the race was meant to tease, that dress she was wearing was straight up seduction. His wings shot straight up ans he tried to regain his composure. "I hope you didn't get dress up on my account...actually I do hope it's for me-- I'd really like to sink my fangs into you later..." Midnight's face went blank and red as he realized what words came out of his mouth. "I..um.." he paused. "Hehe. Must be the delicious sangria talking."

The embarrassed bat pony would lay his head on the bar. When the subject was changed to karaoke, His head shot back up. "Dibs on first song," he said with a rather unusual excitement for him as he began to run through a list of songs in his head to impress the mares in the room.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger glanced over at Jade as she showed up and offered her opinion. He could agree that it’s a wide world out there with plenty to see, but that kind of life wasn’t for everyone. For some, it was perfect, but others needed to stay in one place most of the time. 

“Karaoke sounds good to me. Maybe a duet is in order?” He asked, giving a wink to Berry. That would have to wait till after Midnight’s song though, it seemed. “Knock ‘em dead, buddy!” He chuckled, patting Midnight on the back. 

• Like 2

Berry Punch would never say it out loud, but she honestly didn't think much of Eastern Philosophy.  Half of what she'd heard was simply koans that weren't meant to make much sense anyway, and the other half was stuff like what Tongue Twister had just said, "Six of one, half a dozen of the other, you decide what's best."  Generally, all that meant was that the person seeking advice would look for a second opinion.  At least, that was how her incurably Western and Philistine mind saw it.  

She also saw Jade waltz through the door like she was at a fancy dress party, though in all fairness to the mare, she carried herself in a way that flattered rather than shamed the present company.  If Berry weren't the proprietor, she'd have to take a few drops of liquid courage before venturing to speak with her, but that ice was long broken up and ready to have scotch poured over it.  "Well, and I guess that's the other perspective.  Can't say I wouldn't feel the same if I had a pair of wings; but my sort always feels best with all their hooves on the ground."  Didn't stop her from excellently balancing on two to prepare drinks, though!  "Vieux Carre... gonna make me earn that crown, are ya?"  She giggled, blushing deeply at the forward flirtation.  Everyone's muzzle seemed to be well-lubricated today, why even Midnight was joining Jade on the fun!

Oh, but it seemed a like a new use for those loosened muzzles was proposed.  "It's on and ready, Midnight.  And I think I will take you up on that duet, Tiger, though I'll let Tongue Twister show us how well she's earned her name first, alright?"

• Like 2

The bat pony’s mind would run through a list of songs he knew. Next he had to hope that it was loaded into the machine.... Luckily it was, as he sighed before Tongue Twister took the mic. As she chuckled, he almost knew what song she had chosen before the intro was complete. 

Though ‘Let it Go’ had become karaoke standard, he had to admit she sang it well. He would politely clap before loading his song in. “This is a song from my foalhood,” me said with a grin, “and I think it may be appropriate for all of us considering the way that today began and the way some of us are thinking,” as he winked to Jade. 

The song was special to him as part of the lyrics were true. His mother had said those words to him once before. Pressing the button, the base , drum, and tambourine would start. Can’t Hurry Love.

• Like 2

Tiger sat back while the first two sang their songs, enjoying the show and clapping for both when they were done. Now that it was his turn though, he walked over with Berry, flipping through the songs until they settled on one to sing together. 

“Ready for a Good Time?” He chuckled, winking at Berry before starting up the song. He was enjoying himself, dancing around while they sang and losing himself in the music. 

• Like 3

Berry bounded onto the stage to sing along with Tiger.  There was only one microphone to share, but she didn't mind pressing close against the stallion, matching his movements as they belted out the chorus:

"Good Morning and Good Night,

We'll wake up at twilight,

We don't even have to try:

It's always always a good time!

Whoa-oahoahoh, Whoa-oahoahoh,

We dont even have to try, it's always a good time!

Whoa-oahoahoh, Whoa-oahoahoh,

We dont even have to try, it's always a good time!"

She left the stage in a definitely buoyed mood, quenching her thirst with the sangria left in her cup.  "Very nice, thank you!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

'Jade' tilted her head in amusement when Midnight accidentally let his thoughts slip from his mouth.

"Hmmmm probably. They also say 'In vino veritas'. Although I believe I would require more then one bite...." she said while flipping her gorgeous long mane so both Midnight and Berry could get a good look.

"I only asked since i am was confident she could make it, Punch, Dear." unicorn mare explained. "Rare to see anypony who could, after all. And I can't resist pretty mare, gracefully moving in her element." she complimented her host.

Everypony seemed liked her idea, and Oil was particularly exited to go with it, but 'Jade' reined him in.

"Now hold on Hoofsome. Miss Twister was first on the finish line, so it would be fair for her to be first with song as well." she explained her reasoning.

He regretted saying this,  almost immediately.

While outside 'Jade' continued to show a serene smile, Hou was screaming internally.

'NOOOOOOOO! Not this song again!' she realized in horror. She remembered well when the movie featuring this piece was released in Projector Theaters....

Not that song itself was bad. However.......three years...for three accursed years this song was EVERYWHERE (except Wūyún and Whitescar - thank darkness)! Listening to it so much was maddening! At least Hou could distract herself with recognizing all the languages Tongue sang it with. It seems she was quite a polyglot...and unlike Shuren herself, she didn't had all the years to accumulate the knowledge. It had to be natural talent.

"Ahaha you quite good Miss Twister." 'Jade' clapped, while using all of her willpower to no make her eye twitch. Good she was such good actor. You can't infiltrate Canterlot Castle, and work there for ten years as a maid without being one.....among other things.

After hearing this....this THING, other song were balm on her ears in comparison. Even if they were otherwise rather bland. Finally it was her turn....

"Well allow me to surprise you." she said as she walked toward karaoke machine "I brought my own vinyl, you see...." 'Jade' explained as she summoned the record in question from her hotel room. After switching it with one that was inside the Berry's machine, 'Beaker' hit 'Random' button.....

And started to sweat upon seeing the name of the song on the display screen.

She. Summoned. Wrong. Record.

This was the one that she usually listened to in her down-time! A very private downtime! She doubted if anypony else knew that song. And she doubted if they approve of it's lyrics either! And it might make them think some thoughts about her!

Thank darkness her back was turned, so the others couldn't see her expression of horrible realization. She had no choice but to play it cool. And to cast sound dampening spell on the room. It was better if Punch's daughter...or anyone else in Ponyville for that matter, didn't heard this.

When she turned around, 'Jade' was sporting the same confident smile. Perhaps this will be worth it...for see their reactions if anything else. Oh who she was kidding? She was screwed! But the show must've go on.  Moments later, 'Jade' strong voice started to sing a female version of....well....blush inducing song.

• Like 1

Tongue Twister raised an eyebrow, then chuckled.

"You brought your OWN record for a karaoke night ?  Now THAT is some serious dedication to having fun Jade !"

She almost used her wing to give a 'thumbs up' - but restrained the impulse and went for short clapping instead.

Midnight bobbed his head along to Berry and Tiger's song. It was full of energy and a bit more modern then his. When Tiger took his seat afterwords, he'd give him a pat on the back and a smile. "Good choice!" He took a quick drink to finish off his second glass of sangria before smiling to Berry for a refill. "That song was almost as sweet as you concoctions..or you for that matter," he said with a wink.

When Jade summoned her own song, he grinned. "This is going to be good, I bet she had this planned all along," as he nudged Tiger. That grin would quickly change into a look of shock as her song began. His mouth hung wide open as his eyes looked at her blankly. As the song finished, he clapped slowly as the words that she had sung set in. "That...that was sure something... Jade..."

• Like 2