Cooling Off before Warming Up (ATTN: ROTL Runners)

Blueblood

Berry happily refilled both Midnight's glass along with her own, chiming in with Tongue Twister as Jade summoned her own record.  "Well!  There's a thought, Bring-your-own-music karaoke.  Might be worth considering."  She smiled, eagerly awaiting the song selection that.... 

Oh.  Oh My.  Yes, no, she was very glad little Pinchy was sleeping over at a friend's tonight.  "With, um, proper vetting, I should say."  The earth pony mare whispered as she blushed a deep burgundy.  For some reason, she found herself very thirsty again, and chugged down the next cup she had poured, not perhaps the best thing to ensure good judgment.  Just... the sheer confidence with which that mare carried the lyrics she sung was enrapturing.  

Poor Berry was caught, and she knew it.

• Like 4

Tiger settled back in, finishing off his glass just as Jade took the stage. Good thing too, since the sheer unexpectedness of those lyrics probably would’ve made him choke on the liquid. Still, the confidence to sing something like that as your first song took guts, and he admired her courage there. He chuckled lightly, nodding at Jade as she finished. 

“Good singing there, Jade, I’m looking forward to what you sing next. For now though, I feel like I should start off round two.” He said, making his way back onto the stage and queuing up the next song. He let the music flow through him, letting it lead him as he began singing

I'm undefeated

Hands on my neck, foot on my back
Closing in from every side
Bleeding me dry, I'm fading fast

Left for dead but I will rise up on my own
I could make it alone, I got all that I need to survive
(All that I need to survive)
Through the sweat and the blood, I know what I'm made of
It's the hunger that keeps me alive
This time, I'm coming like a hurricane, this time

I came to fight for the love of the game, unstoppable
That's why I, I'm undefeated
Off the leash, out of the cage, an animal
I, I, I know I can beat it
Won't give up 'cause I believe it
Fight for the love of the game, unstoppable

Here at the edge losing my ground
Stare into the great divide
Pushing me over, pulling me down

Almost dead, but I will rise up on my own
No, I'm never alone and it's all that I need to survive
(All that I need to survive)
Through the sweat and the blood, if I fall, I'll get up
It's the hunger that keeps me alive
This time, I'm coming like a hurricane, this time

All the strength that I have, all the life that's left in me
I will give every breath to be everything I can be
I, I, I'm undefeated
I, I, I'm undefeated

That's why I, I'm undefeated.”

With the song winding down, he gave a confident smile and wink to Berry and Midnight primarily, though he gave a bit of the treatment to Jade and Tongue Twister. He went back over to the bar, taking his seat. “Mind refilling my drink, Berry? Thanks.”
  • Like 1

"Why, thank you! I was thinking it would be..'appropriate' for the occasion. And we all adults here." 'Jade' voice and tone of voice shown unshakable confidence, but inside she was berating herself.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid! Of all your records you had to bring this one!" she though. All she could do now was to grit her teeth and soldier on. The record was enchanted by her of course, so it held twelve times as many songs as average one. Coming out of this evening as closet pervert was the BEST outcome now, considering other records the vinyl held.

'Beaker' threw expectant gazes at Berry and Oil but...it seemed they skipped this turn? Wait could it mean...they actually liked her song? Particularly Berry, who reached for more liquid courage. Midnight looked like he still needed to process what he heard, but nopony's reaction was that of disgust. Oh......Celestia, you naive fool - you had the gall to call them 'Your little ponies' ?

That toughs made her think at least a little better. This, and the Tiger's song - something quick to wash out doubt from her system. So much so that she afforded a joke.

"My....I guess Hesperian's really like things rough." she said, only to realize the possible double entendre in that statement a second later. Way to go 'Jade'.

Sorceress could only walk forward once again, and but her vinyl in the machine again. Slowly, almost carefully she pressed random button. Upon seeing the the song name she was equal part relived and horrified. At least it wasn't one of those songs from monkey dimension equivalent of Stalliongrad or Germaney. On the other hoof.....

She started to sing as soon as the beat appeared....she rather liked the intro. She closed her eyes, and let her body sway with the music. At least she wouldn't have to see their reactions till the song ended.....

"Mi-i-ine!

Give it to you one time, now

We-ell

Whoa!

We-ell, now"

• Like 1

fe3cee76e40aeb606e0417822c078f0a_view.pn

Midnight has also been filling up on liquid while Tiger and 'Jade' preformed once more. Tiger's song was full of energy and Jade's...well, he couldn't keep his eyes off her. It was as if he where in a trance for a moment. As Jade moved, so did Midnight's head. He heard the music but tuned out the words. He would give both ponies though a round of applause before stepping up to the stage once more, this time a little 'looser' then before.

"Hm..." as he looked at the collection of records. After a few moments, he found an older, dusty one that he knew quite well, and he was now brave enough to try to hit those high notes in the middle of the song. He'd give all of them a smile before putting the record on.

♫ Witchy Woman ♫

"Woohoo, witchy woman
See how high she flies
Woohoo, witchy woman
She got the moon in her eye
Well, I know you want a lover
Let me tell you brother
She's been sleeping in the Devil's bed
And there's some rumors going round
Someone's underground
She can rock you in the night time 'til your skin turns red
Woohoo, witchy woman
See how high she flies
Woohoo, witchy woman
She got the moon in her eye"

"That's just one I remember from younger years, even though it outdates me by qute a few years. For some reason it just felt...fitting? Anywho, who's up next while this mic is still warm? Berry? Twister?"
  • Like 1
  • Surprised 1

The songs had just gotten wilder and wilder tonight!  Tiger's pounding metal anthem, Jade's increasingly suggestive demeanor, and Midnight's smooth rockin' moves... it honestly began to feel as if Berry was being left behind.  She felt a little pressured to fit in the party atmosphere, but her music tastes had changed from her wilder college days, and even now, it would be hard to inhabit that carefree spirit from her younger days.  Not without downing so much sangria that she could no longer sing coherently, and down that road lay nothing good.

Nope, she was going to stay true to herself, volunteer the next song, and to heck with what anypony thought!  "Alright, I'll go for one of my favorites."  A more folk-rock song, less about partying and more about trying to hold it together, a more honest depiction of her inner life, and still one fun to sing.  More fun to sing than to contemplate, at least.

"Don't listen to a word I say,

The screams all sound the same!

'Cause though the truth may vary this

Ship will carry our bodies

Safe to shore."

If Tiger knew the song, he could make another duet with the male parts of the song, as well.

• Like 4

“You know it.” Tiger winked at Jade’s comment. “That’s what happens when you practically grew up in the arena.” He added with a shrug, falling silent as songs started up again. He sat back and enjoyed the music Jade and Midnight chose, though once Berry’s song started up, he nodded along, making his way back to the stage and sliding in next to her in order to sing the male parts. He wrapped a hoof around her in a hug as they sang the song together. As it ended, he gave her another squeeze before letting her depart if she wanted. The next song wasn’t made for duets, but she could sing it with him if she wanted. 

Dear pain, oh, it's been a long time

Remember when you were holding me tight

I would stay awake with you all night

Dear shame, I was safe in your arms

You were there when it all fell apart

I would get so lost in your beautiful lies

I let you go but you're still chasing

Go ahead, you're never going to take me

You can bend, but you're never going to break me

I was yours, I'm not yours anymore

You don't own me

• Like 1

Tongue Twister was surprised that she actually WAS having fun - she was afraid she'd have to forego such things until she could get her whole 'Dark Energy shoved into her head !' situation resolved.

But so far, she'd been able to maneuver around Abomination.

Once Tiger finished, she looked over the options on the karaoke machine, trying to figure out what to inflict upon the others ...😄

"Let's see here ... 'Monster' ?  Nah - can't get my voice low enough.

'When You're Evil' ?  Nope.  

'Tavern Crawl' ?  Nope - don't want to insult Berry.

'Sound of Silence' ?  Too dismal.

'Awake Ye Scary Great Old Ones' ?  Need three ponies to sing that one properly.  

'Holding Out for a Hero' ?  Maybe ..."

Her ears flicked when she noticed a song, and got an idea.

Spoiler

"You CAN'T be serious !" the Abomination stammered inside her head.

"Why not ?  A cover of a parody is PERFECT for karaoke !"

"They'll think you're weird if you sing that song !"

"But my 'dear' Abomination, I * AM * weird !"

"This is one of our personal favorites." Tongue Twister announced after a few moments' thought, "It's a big hit at the O & O conventions."

And with that, she started singing 'Hey There Cthulhu' :

"Hey there Cthulhu, down there in your sunken city

You’re a billion light years distant and the stars look very pretty

From R’lyeh

So close and yet so far away

Iä, Ië

Cthulhu Fhtagn, or is that k-THOO-loo fuh-TINE?

I can never quite remember, ’cause I’m not in my right mind

Since I met you

No one corrupts the way you do

You know it’s true ..."

• Like 2

It would be exaggeration to say Midnight's song made 'Jade' panic. Of course not, that flirtatious smirk of a mask she wore was impenetrable poker face - more so since it was more or less true.

That said...it did made here uncomfortable. She could only hope that her next song will push Oil - and everypony else for that matter - from such thoughts.

"I too find myself thinking about some songs at weirdest moments. Like that one time I started to think about 'YMCA' during funeral." she admitted. Which was actually true. Those were funny days, infiltrating Neighpon Navy.....

She ended up tapping one of her hooves along with Berry and Pyro songs' They couldn't be different, but they were pleasant all the same. She had to hold herself back from shooting an envious glances, when Tiger and Punch were singing in duet yet AGAIN. Which she pointed out.

"Oh Berry it seems you are very enthusiastic for syncing with other ponies." she said with half-lid gaze....

And focusing about that left 'Jade' totally unprepared for Twister next song. Only her steel-like self control helped her from staring too intensively at Tongue.  To mask her growing levels of discomfort, 'beaker' offered some constructive thoughts about the songs.

"That's some lyrical dissonance right there. It makes the song so much more creepy. Fitting for piece dealing with being of madness." she 'mused' while actually very, very thankful that the song ended.

Finally it was her turn again. Deciding that risking more song from her own vinl would be asking for it at that point, 'doctor' opted to grab random record from Berry collection and once again pressed 'Random' collection.

.........She stared for the song's title for a whole minute, while her disguise spell failed to mask reddening of her ears. Oh no.....

Yup that would work. Unfortunately it seemed, the price for pushing others towards more innocent party pieces, was utter embarrassment of herself. 'Jade' some deep breaths, as she remembered the dance moves for this song.

"............" If she had to sing something.....SOMETHING like this, then at least it will be the BEST female cover possible, both in audible and visual sense!

"Oppan Gangnam Style
Gangnam Style!

Najeneun ddasarowun in-ganjeogin yeoja
Keopi hanjaneui yeoyureul aneun pumgyeok ittneun yeoja
Bami omyeon shimjangi ddeugeowojineun yeoja
Geureon banjeon ittneun yeoja"

It was so much more embarrassing, since she actually understood the language. And judging from 'Experiment' expression, so did she....

• Like 1

fe3cee76e40aeb606e0417822c078f0a_view.pn

As Midnight drank another glass, he found himself leaning against the bar next to Jade as Berry went on, taking Tiger with her. He'd give Jade an uncomfortable wink, hinting at something. He found himself bobbing his head to the Tiger Berry Duet. He'd give them a huge round of applause. As Twister took the stage however, he had no idea how to fell. Sure it was well sung but boy was it a weird song to preform. Perhaps on Nightmare Night but oh well. He'd give her a polite round of applause. He'd ask her why she picked the one she did when she returned to the bar. "Um...wow. I didn't even know that song existed Twister."

Soon Midnight would be watching and listening to Jade's next song. It was one he knew as a novelty hit and could not help moving his body to the beat of the song, holding back the urge to do the dance that went with the song. He'd give her a fanged whistle as some of the 'Liquid Courage' was kicking in. He'd intercept Jade as she was stepping down from the stage and he was about to begin his next turn. "I saw how you where reacting to Berry's song," he'd say with friendliness in his voice. "Come on," as he guided her back onto the stage. "I know it's up here somewhere," as he looked for another old enchanted 45. "Here it is," as he put it on. "Just follow my lead. This one's been enchanted to show lyrics as it plays...or at least that's what the label says. Here's hoping they don't ware off. My parts are in purple. Yours are in gold."

Midnight would load it in, pressing play. As the intro began, he would be grinning wildly. His larger then a normal bat pony fangs prominently showing.

♫Don't go Breaking My Heart♫

Don't go breaking my heart
I couldn't if I tried
Oh, honey, if I get restless
Baby, you're not that kind
Don't go breaking my heart
You take the weight off of me
Oh, honey when you knock on my door
Ooh, I gave you my key
Woo hoo
Nobody knows it

But when I was down
I was your clown
Woo hoo
Nobody knows it

He'd point the mic to the bar for the background part.
(Nobody knows it)
Right from the start
I gave you my heart
Oh, oh I gave you my heart
So don't go breaking my heart
I won't go breaking your heart
Don't go breaking my heart.

Midnight would power through the song, hoping Jade had joined him. "We couldn't let them have all the fun," he said kissing her on the cheek.

• Like 2

*Another lad, another lass.  Another song, another glass.  How do we make the good times last?*  Even as she poured herself more sangria, even as the spirits of the room continued high with each song, Berry found the half-melancholic rhyme from her old party days return.  She wasn't usually such a weepy drunk, but perhaps... yes, this would absolutely be the last of the wine punch for her tonight.  No need to bring the mood of the place down.

She took a gulp, and fixed a smile, not really a hard task given the company.  She couldn't bring herself to duet with Tiger, but she smiled and stomped her hooves to the beat.  She really didn't know what the whole deal with 'Cat-hula' was, but she got the whole gothic satire vibe coming from Tongue Twister.  "Would've thought you'd have to dress in black to pull that off.  Good job!"  

The absolute ridiculousness that accompanied Jade's song selection blew her incipient misery right out of the water, though, as Berry went from 'sad drunk' to 'delirious, breathless laughter.'  Honestly, Midnight's more plain song gave her lungs a much appreciated chance at rebooting, and with a few gasps, she started to breathe again.  

"Hah, oh, wow... I think I might well be done for the night, as regards singing.  Starting to spin a little bit."  She wasn't slurring her words, but her enunciation was just a little to deliberate and perfect.  "Also, make sure that I'm refilling my glass with just water, OK?"

• Like 3

"Would've thought you'd have to dress in black to pull that off.  Good job!"  

"Well, actually, at the conventions, we usually do." TT replied to Berry, "Some of those conventioneers can be rather particular."

"Um...wow. I didn't even know that song existed Twister."

"It's a cover of a parody, thought up by somepony with a lot of imagination.  It's one of my personal favorites !" she replied to Midnight.

"We and dad go to a LOT of O & O conventions - mainly because dad's talent is separating fools from their money.

And fantasy conventions are jam-packed with them !  He can buy a hundred 'unique collectible, one of a kind' figurines for five bits. 

Then sell them for three bits apiece at the conventions !  And they think they're getting a deal !"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Eh?" 'Jade' exclaimed in genuine surprise when Midnight dragged her back on-stage, not really being able to process what was happening at first, due to all that embarrassment.

She shouldn't really allow this. Duet's where she didn't lead weren't her thing. This song weren't her song. Singing back to back wasn't her thing. Yet.....

Yet she couldn't help but feel that she was having fun. Sorceress was so lost in the lyrics, that she was left blind-sided by Oil's peck to the cheek, and just....stood there, for a moment....

After which -in quick succession - rose her hoof to cheek in question, grabbed her drink with magic, and downed it in one go. It's worth noting it was third one for her.

"Midnight you such a dork." 'Beaker' said "Nothing worth doing, should be done half-heartedly..." unicorn mare added, before grabbing guard's head, and pulling him into very definition of the Prench kiss. And she would keep going, if not for a need for air. When she pulled away, 'Jade' was back to her flirty, confident and controlled self, with only flush on her face showing what was brewing inside.

"So...out of all the mares you kissed, I assume I am twelve on 'one to ten scale'." she said as she turned to Tongue, while leaving Oil to gather himself.

"My Twister, didn't you just admit to have scoundrel for a Papa?" 'Jade' asked. Ten she turned her attention at Berry who seemed to stared to be a wee tuckered out.

"Is that a bad thing Berry Dear? I thought that you wanted each of us to take you for a 'spin'. With lot's filling and re-filling involved." she said with a wink and lips lick.

• Like 1

"My Twister, didn't you just admit to have scoundrel for a Papa?" 'Jade' asked. 

"Yes.  Yes, we did." TT replied with a chuckle, "Anypony that's bargained with him for even a few minutes could figure that out easily.  
He's a curio merchant.  Sells 'strange and unusual trinkets as gifts for the strange and unusual creatures in your life'.  Pretty much have to be a 'scoundrel' to earn a living at that !
Some ponies have far more bits than sense; this is an imbalance that is easily corrected.
He may be a scoundrel, but somepony has to be !"

• Like 1

To say Midnight was surprised by Jade returning his kiss was a lie. To say he was surprised by the intensity of the return kiss was true. The longer she held him in the embrace, the more the bat pony enjoyed it. It wasn’t too hard for everypony to notice his wings shooting straight up. Midnight was beaming from ear to ear as he slowly walked down to the bar and friendly elbowed Tiger with a wink. 

Midnight would finish off another glass of sangria before walking back to Jade. Liquid courage was even stronger he wink at her before planting a rather intense kiss on her, though he carelessly forgot where one of his hooves was, as he hoped the next thing he felt wasn’t a slap to the face...

• Like 2

Tiger was having lots of fun tonight, but it seems like Berry was reaching her limit as far as alcohol was concerned. Fair enough, he supposed, and he nodded at her words about only drinking water from here on. Jade and Midnight's kiss actually made him a bit jealous, but he didn't want to force anything on Berry if she was feeling too drunk. Plus, unless he was reading things wrong, Jade wasn't that interested in him unfortunately, but that was fine since he was mostly interested in Berry anyways. Speaking of, he got up and slid behind the bar with her, partly to help with serving the drinks, partly to keep an eye on her liquid intake like she suggested, and partly just to get closer. He nudged her playfully as he helped where he could.

"If you want, we could move on to something else." He winked, glancing over at Midnight and Jade as they kissed.

• Like 2

Berry quite gratefully leaned against Tiger, taking the inch given by his nudge and running a mile with it.  She giggled at the tale of hucksterism related by Tongue Twister, the ethanol in her veins increasing the receptivity of her sense of humor.  It had been a while since she was so happy, with so many new friends.  With what new benefits remained to be seen, but the night so far was promising, very promising indeed!

Grinning back at Jade, the earth pony replied in good high spirits, "Well, in that case, better make sure I'm well-hydrated, if I want to make it through the night and morning without a splitting headache!"  She knocked back the glass of ice water, the cool liquid doing nothing to dampen the fires within.  Or the thirst which led her to pull Tiger in for a matching kiss after the stallion made so bold as to wink at him.  She did have to spare a thought for the unpaired guest among them, however.  Her skills and instincts as a hostess weren't completely shot.
"Er, I hope the four of us aren't making you feel uncomfortable.  Or left out.  It's just been... so long, and I've been so lonely..."  She sniffed, her good mood starting to careen along with her vision, and she leaned harder against Tiger.

• Like 3

She did have to spare a thought for the unpaired guest among them, however.  Her skills and instincts as a hostess weren't completely shot.

"Er, I hope the four of us aren't making you feel uncomfortable.  Or left out.  It's just been... so long, and I've been so lonely..."  She sniffed, her good mood starting to careen along with her vision, and she leaned harder against Tiger.

Spoiler

"She really wasn't expecting anyone other than those three to show up." TT mused to herself, "Oh well.  Same old, same old.  I'm honestly surprised that my Cutie Mark isn't five wheels ......."

"Your concern is appreciated, but not necessary." TT replied as she put her glass down, "A gracious host looks after her guests.  And a good guest knows when to go home.  This has been more fun than we expected, so we bid thee all a good night."

She leaned in close to whisper in Berry's ear : "If you're trying to alleve loneliness, we'd say you are doing very well indeed !  Quite the selection you have here."

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Well I anticipate splitting and aches...just not head ones." 'Jade' said, emphasizing her words with a mane flip.

Midnight really didn't knew where to keep those hooves...or rather, he knew EXACTLY where to put them.

However...as much as she wished for Oil to drag her to the inn room...there were things to attend to first.

"Just a little more patience hoofsome." 'Beaker' said while putting her hoof under his chin for a moment - will Oil follow her lead or attempt to turn the tables? She didn't minded either option.

"Just play along for moment. Who knows? Maybe you will have more to paw then just myself?" she added with a whisper.

Like a ghost, 'Good Doctor' slipped behind the Twister, only to put her hooves on her shoulders.

"If it's concern for anything...it's about your soon to be experienced absence Twister, Cutie. A 'fun' doesn't have to stop here." she explained while giving Tongue shoulder massage.

"Berry may be too polite to say it, but in a way we cut from the same cloth - so I speak for her and myself.." 'Jade' said, leaning over Twister ear, her words smooth like a black velvet glove. "You see, Twister, Cutie.....a mature mare is - more often then not - greedy, nay, needy for new experiences. And as you Yourself noticed, we have fine selection here. And when you can't decide, why limit yourself? Cute can go along with sexy... And what's good for two, is good for three...." 'Jade' said before looking over Twister head, at Tiger and Berry. "...Or five." she added with salacious grin. "Limits are meant to be broken."

• Like 2

Like a ghost, 'Good Doctor' slipped behind the Twister, only to put her hooves on her shoulders.
"If it's concern for anything...it's about your soon to be experienced absence Twister, Cutie. A 'fun' doesn't have to stop here." she explained while giving Tongue shoulder massage.
"Berry may be too polite to say it, but in a way we cut from the same cloth - so I speak for her and myself.." 'Jade' said, leaning over Twister ear, her words smooth like a black velvet glove. "You see, Twister, Cutie.....a mature mare is - more often then not - greedy, nay, needy for new experiences. And as you Yourself noticed, we have fine selection here. And when you can't decide, why limit yourself? Cute can go along with sexy... And what's good for two, is good for three...." 'Jade' said before looking over Twister head, at Tiger and Berry. "...Or five." she added with salacious grin. "Limits are meant to be broken."

With that, the alarm bells screaming in TT's head doubled in number and volume.

"We've found that limits define who we are." TT replied as she slipped away, "Without them, you become blurry and nebulous.  Like a cloud that can be dispersed from the slightest breeze.  No discipline, no direction.  A state we are trying to avoid.

We are greatly flattered by your attentions, but we cannot deal with any more potential drama right now.  We had an unfortunate encounter with a most unpleasant sorceress - WHO CONTAMINATED US WITH ENOUGH DARK MAGIC TO GIVE NIGHTMARE MOON A RUN FOR HER BITS !

We - are not comfortable with the directions things are going.  Thus, our presence here can only bring everypony else down."

Tongue Twister was trying to be gracious, but was preparing her mental defenses and counters, since she recognized the slick and honeyed words of emotional manipulation when she heard them.

"Why does everyone want to override my decisions ?!" she groused within, "I say 'I do not want to do X', and then, for some reason, everyone feels an overpowering need to goad or coerce me into doing X !

Like my having feelings and opinions of my own is a challenge to them that MUST be overcome !

Like my feelings and opinions mean NOTHING AT ALL.

And I ^%&#%^%@$&%^& HATE that !!!"

• Like 1

After enjoying the kiss, and the fact that Berry seemed more than happy to lean on him like this, Tiger smiled warmly. It didn’t last too long though, unfortunately, as Berry’s mood seemed to be tanking. 

“Hey, it’s okay Berry, I’m here now. You’re not alone anymore.” He whispered gently, hugging her with a foreleg as TT and Jade spoke. Rolling his eyes a bit at Jade’s antics and Twister’s response, he decided to intervene. 

“Oi! Jade, she clearly wants to leave, so let her. It’s her choice if she doesn’t want to stick around, with or without the whole dark magic thing.” He said to Jade before turning his attention to Tongue Twister. “It was fun hanging out with you, TT, maybe we could do it again sometime. For now though, see ya later.” He finished with a friendly smile and nod, letting her go about her business. There was little point having someone around that didn’t want to be there, and forcing ponies into things was generally not a good strategy to getting them to like you.

For now, Tiger enjoyed being Berry’s emotional support and letting her decide how far tonight would go. He wanted this budding relationship to last, he could feel something for Berry that he didn’t feel for most mares he ended up with. 

• Like 1

Berry nuzzled into the crook of Tiger's neck, breathing in heavily as she sought to rebalance her humors.  The close proximity of the stallion helped, oh it helped so much.  When was the last time anypony not her own daughter had hugged her?  Actually, probably earlier today with the ponies present, but that didn't make this moment any less significant for her.  She would have likely stayed in this clingy state of affection had not Tiger's noticing of Tongue Twister's exchange with Jade refocused her own attention externally.  

Berry found herself slightly sobered by the scene; this was something every bartender was trained to watch out for.  "Alright, alright, I'll help you get your coat."  Had TT come in with a coat?  Didn't matter, just needed a good enough reason to come in and slip the one mare from the presence and attention of the other.  "Sorry about that,"  She whispered to the Running champion as she escorted her to the door.  "Next time you feel like somepony's coming on too strong, just order 'Bitters and Tonic.'  Code we all know for a mare in trouble."  As for the bits about dark magic and sorceresses?  Totally slipped past the still not entirely sober mare.  She recognized the shape of the situation, but not the details

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"Thanks for the help Berry." TT replied, "Not sure how we would have gotten away without creating an even bigger scene.

'Bitters and tonic' eh ?  We shall remember that.  We suppose that is a combination so horrible no one would order it on purpose.

We did have a good time.  All things considered ..."

It was a short walk back to the hotel. It was supposed to be a quick trip to Ponyville.

Just go to the post office to set up a post office box so anyone that responded to dad's "Devil's Business Card" spell had somewhere to mail their responses to.  Then go back home to Las Pegasus to clear up a few loose ends.

But she'd decided to join a local contest - The Running of the Leaves - on a lark.  And actually won !

By the time all that was over, the last train to Las Pegasus had left, so she now to wait until early tomorrow morning for the next one.

With a heavy sigh, she got ready for bed and tried to get to sleep.

After listening to some  music, she finally nodded off.

Within her dreams, she was flying in a nondescript bright blue sky (as a pegasus, this was a most excellent dream !)  Below and around her were countless floating islands, each with a building in a different architectural style, each island connected to a few others by webbing.

It was how her mind retained and recalled the vast amount of information needed to speak nearly all known languages - an enhanced form of the Mind Palace technique.  But instead of having just rooms full of things she wanted to remember in one building, she had cities in the clouds connected along lines only she, Whisp and Dream Weaver could make any sense of.

Coming to rest upon a cloud, Tongue Twister looked upon her works, and was happy.

Spoiler

Then a shadow passed overhead, and she just managed to roll off the cloud and dive for ground cover just as a being made of ink black storm clouds struck.

There was a brief rainstorm, then the skies cleared up.  It was now night in the mindscape.

She looked around.  She was in a less overgrown field in Tenochtitlan.  A few days hike away from the Temple of the Bats by the looks of it.

"Why am I remembering this, now ?" she mused to herself, looking around.

A dark fog rolled in, which congealed into a gigantic, pony-shaped mass that smirked evilly at her.

"Oh, it's just you Abomination.  What's the deal ?"

"The deal ?  The deal is that I've grown sick and tired of that ridiculous 'Aspects cannot harm other Aspects' rule that has been keeping you safe !" it bellowed in a deep, rumbling voice,   "I found a way around it !"

TT quirked an eyebrow at him.  "Really ?  Do tell."

There was a hissing and the sound of branches breaking from behind TT.  She turned to look.

The creature was a nightmarish parody of a gigantic snake, essentially just four razor sharp teeth in a pair of jaws stuck onto a long, limbless body the color of the fetid waters in the foulest swamps.  Its seven eyes just bubbled out of its body at random times and random places.  Although it wasn't overly large - barely five pony length's long, and barely thicker around than a pony's head - its appetite was as unending as it destructive rage. 

TT rolled her eyes back to the Abomination.  "A Dreamslayer ?  Seriously ?"

"Yes, 'seriously' !" the Abomination rumbled back, "You seem to have a knack for annoying creatures everywhere you go !  You were returning an artifact to a village in Tenochtitlan, but the local shaman thought you were trying to steal it instead, and cursed you with that thing !

A creature that hunts you down and tears you apart in your dreams.  And since it is NOT one of your Aspects, it can hurt you !

In fact, didn't it nearly kill you the last time you encountered it ?" he finished with a sinister gleam in his eyes.

TT sighed.  The last time she'd encountered the Dreamslayer was six months before Luna returned to her duties as Guardian of Dreams.  "Is there a point you're trying to make here, or what ?"

The Abomination glared down upon her.  "Yes, the point is that YOUR END IS NIGH !  Your insipid defiance ends now !  Not only did I resurrect that monster, but I also increased its speed, power and ferocity tenfold !

Your choices are 1 : surrender all control of your body to me, and I might stop the unending torture I plan on subjecting you to for a few minutes once or twice a year if I feel like it.  In recompense for what you've put ME through.

Or 2 : that thing tears you apart, leaving me the only one in here to take command.  I win no matter what choice you make !

So tell me : what is your answer ?"

TT blinked a few times before answering "Forty two."

The Abomination glowered at her.  "Death it is then !"

With that, the Dreamslayer lunged, opening its jaws as wide as it could, then biting down with all the force it could muster upon her shielding foreleg - 
- and shattering all of its teeth upon the living stone Tongue Twister had transmuted herself into.  For you can do anything in a dream !

TT then delivered a nasty headbutt to the creature gnawing impotently on her foreleg, then tossed the dazed creature straight up; so high up that it faded from sight.

Her gaze followed it as she leaned further back, until she sat heavily down upon her rump.

After a few quiet moments, the stone composing TT began to crack and fall away, like an eggshell when something hatches from the egg.

But what 'hatched' from the statue that was Tongue Twister was NOT Tongue Twister - the creature had the shape of a pony much bigger than her, but not much else.

The creature was the color of tar.  In place of a mane, it had a mass of long, porcupine quills.

Instead of a small muzzle, it had a longer snout, filled with enough needle like teeth to give a shark the heeby-jeebies.  It had wings like a bat, except bats don't have razor sharp talons on the ends of their phalanges.

It had horns like a bull.  Instead of eyes, there were two pits from which two balls of green fire radiated malice from.

By now, the Dreamslayer was falling back to earth.  It never reached it - for the creature that was Tongue Twister shot out a yards long tongue and caught the serpent before it landed, and noisily consumed it head first !

After swallowing, it looked at the Abomination and asked (in Tongue Twister's voice) : "Was that really the best that you could do ?"

The Abomination's left eye twitched as he squeaked out "What are you ?"

"I - am a nightmare."

And after a few uncomfortable moments, what was once Tongue Twister snorted and started laughing.  "Always wanted to do that !
But no, seriously.  I am Zagzig.  The Horror Within.  Aspect of Wrath.  Tongue Twister's dark side.  And you - are that pompous little pretender that has been giving her grief !"

The Abomination actually took a few steps back as Zag stomped forward, then recalled something.  "You can't hurt me !" he boldly announced, "That 'no Aspect can harm another Aspect' rule cuts both ways !  OBVIOUSLY, in order to protect herself from you, her arrangement protects me from you as well !  That foolish mare outwitted herself !"

"Did I really ?" TT asked as she strolled from the jungle behind him, "And why would I need protection from myself ?"

The Abomination repeatedly glanced from TT to Zagzig.  "This is my mindscape." she sighed, "The only limits to what I can do in here are the ones I myself set."

• 1 month later...

Aaaaaand Twister was gone. 'Jade' was honestly split about her departure. One one hoof, Tongue Twister was was very intelligent young mare, and her presence would mean she herself in turn would have to engage in intense mental gymnastics - something unwelcome  tonight, when she wanted to enjoy herself. And on the other hoof....well, she lost her chances to milk her for information about her background, and for insights into her personality....

As such, it her physical reaction was at least partially genuine too - adding to it's authenticity.

Bespectacled mare inhaled through her teeth, before making a regretful sight.

"I came too strong...." 'Beaker' herself stated while closing her eyes and running her hoof through her own mane in 'embarrassment'. "Through whole evening, I had a feeling that despite her exterior she was...strained, wary of something. I felt pity, for such a cutie to feel this way during such nice evening, so I though, the best course of action would be to help her break the ice and show her how to unwind. But looks like I both overdid it, and it's gnawing at her deeper then that....." 'Jade' explained herself, looking 'ashamed'. "....I have to apologize to her in the morning. The next train to Las Pegasus is at 9:30 A.M. so I can catch up with her." she added, before promptly turning towards other three ponies.

"....I....guess I should apologize to you too. For breaking the mood..." 'Beaker' said while fluttering her eyelashes.

".....I think I know how I can make it up to you...."

The rest of the evening was true whirlwind of 'apologies'. Wingaporean way. First Jade showed how 'regretful' she was to Berry - seeing that she was their host and all. After displaying how her 'sincerity' left Punch breathless, bespectacled mare proceeded to 'apologize' to Midnight and Tiger in turn. Then Midnight and Tiger at once.....Then Berry and Tiger together....

By the late night all three other ponies were tucked out by both the drinks, and how 'sorry' the white unicorn was. As such, 'Good Doctor' put them into beds, allowing them to sleep off all the world-rocking, while she cleared her glasses and took the shower.

She didn't joined them in the rest of course, instead simply breaking down some souls within her to deal with both the exhaustion and all the cocktails she downed.

As such, when first of the other participants came to their senses, and crawled themselves to the kitchen, they found 'Jade' already bustling about in it. The unicorn mare showed no signs of the late 'meeting'. Quite opposite in fact - she hummed some exotic song under her breath, while preparing what appeared to be fruit cocktails, and some easy digestible salad. Completing the image was the fact that 'Doctor' traded her scandalous evening dress, for what seemed to be a Berry Punch apron.

"And now some ginger..." 'Beaker' said to herself, as she added some seasoning to her fruity 'Hangover-Remedies'. She appeared so focused with this task, that she was oblivious to who entered the room.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It had been a long time since Berry had not woken up alone.  That by itself may well have accounted for how easily she accepted Jade's apology, but in all fairness to the unicorn mare's skill, not to mention the help from the other two stallions, she was in such a good mood by the time she fell asleep she'd have forgiven pretty much anything.  Said mood even lasted into the morning, doing much to counter an incipient headache that was the price of a night like last night.

*Made me feel like a younger mare... but I always wake up the same age.  Just as well I wasn't planning on opening up this morning.  Or afternoon.*  Still, she had a smile on her face as she emerged from the sheets, giving a good morning kiss to the still dozing stallions as she made her way to the kitchen, hearing the sound of Jade somehow bright, chipper, and making breakfast.

"How do you do it?  You don't look that much younger than me, but I couldn't spring back from a night like that since my Sophomore year at university."

• Like 1