(open) Packing Up for a show!

Ashton

Devious Trixie by 20pixels

The Great and Powerful Trixie!

While most of the town was preparing for their winter celebrations, a small wagon on the outskirts of town was getting packed, and the path from where it lay to the road was being shoveled... well it was supposed to be shoveled, but the enchantment trixie put on the shovel was making it move the same pile of snow back and forth... she'd have to work on that enchantment, and also work on getting the path cleared herself once she finished packing.

The mare of magic was loading everything she had strewn about her stage into boxes, and also tightening all the screws that held the stage itself together, she had a show booked for hearthswarming eve a distance away, and with her counseling duties completed until the school resumed operations in january, she had plenty time to get back to what she loved doing most - Performing!

But first there was the not-small task of getting her wagon packed again and getting the stage setup tightened and oiled so it would fold up onto the side of the wagon... and every time she thought she was done, another bolt turned out to be loose or another hinge or spring needed oiling... she was starting to wonder if she would ever get on the road at this rate!

• 1 month later...

Strong Copper

As he calmly walked along a road that had recently been shoveled but the snow was taking advantage of the lack of the shovel-er from before to try and regain some lost territory, Strong Copper found the mild resistance to actually be rather enjoyable and a pleasant change of pace. Wading through knee deep snow was something he had done a number of times before and it was honestly something that grew old rather quickly, but having the path be completely clear felt... wrong at the same time as well in a manner that he would struggle to put into actual words.

Given some protection from the cold due to his jumper and a good pair of boots, when he came to a random stop along the path with his head tilted to the side, the cold didn't bother him all that much. It was kind of hard to pin down exactly what had caused him to stop; The magical snow shovel that was clearly moving the same pile of snow around, the rather pretty unicorn mare who's name he didn't know who was clearly doing some work on a wagon would have both been good answers. But the truth was it was the wagon itself that caught his eye. At first it was merely due to a passing thought that he had seen it somewhere before... but the longer he looked at it, the more certain he became that he had seen that wagon before! Not just in Ponyville either, but at various towns, settlements and even just on the road as he traveled for his job.

His curiosity slightly peaked and having no pressing matters to attend to, he decided to leave the path in order to work his way through the snow and past the enchanted snow shovel as he asked the mare whom he assumed was the owner of the wagon "Excuse me Miss, would you like a hoof clearing the path to get the wagon out? It seems like your shovel is having some minor issues."

((Sorry it took me a few days to reply, Fri/Sat/Sun are really busy for me))

Trixie sighed "yeah, it does that a lot..." she admitted as she walked over and kicked it, causing it to dump a load of snow on the showmare, then go back to its previous 'job' of moving the snow from one pile to another and back...

The unicorn shook the snow from her  body, which was covered in a coat that matched her own, along with fake fur along the edges that also matched her mane and tail. "If your not busy, that would be great, I have a show soon and I need to get on the road as fast as I can" she said with a smile, forcing down the annoyance she was actually feeling from the mess she was in --- not that she was annoyed with the stallion, but rather annoyed that her shovel enchantment was broken... again... and that she had neglected her stage so long that it was needing so many repairs and adjustments (even if they were all minor)

Copper tried to be polite and not laugh as the shovel dumped snow on the mare. He had to raise a leg in order to cover his mouth to do so, but he managed to avoid embarrassing her. Watching her shake the snow off of her was an interesting experience as well, but he lowered his leg back to the ground in order to stand and speak properly once she was somewhat more collected again. "I'm not in a rush at the moment so I'm more then happy to help out. Honestly I'm just glad to finally meet the mare who's carriage seems to have taken her almost as far across Equestria as myself." He paused for a moment... before he grinned as he offered as a compliment "It says a lot about how much my mind tended to be focused on the next job that I remember seeing the wagon, but somehow completely missed the beautiful mare pulling it until now."

Snorting softly to himself as he turned to look at the shovel again, he narrowed his gaze slightly before asking "So... is there an off command to make it just be a normal shovel again or is it alright for me to wrestle it and tame it to my will to use it as a normal shovel? Enchantments aren't my strong suit."  

Trixie giggle "while I'd love to see you fight it, I've heard scary tales of enchanted tools... one of a broom that, after an axe was taken to it to stop its actions, all the splinters turned into more brooms and only made the problem far, far worse" she walked over to the shovel and muttered some arcane incantation...

and got another shovel full of snow dumped atop her...

Trixie grumbled and shook the show off her and glared at the shovel, this time closing her eyes and focusing as her horn glowed and a jolt of magical energy flew at the shovel. And it stopped shoveling, just hovering in place

"There we go, all fix-"

Before Trixie could finish her statement it reared up and slammed down, had Trixie not dodged she would have quite a headache

"Ack! No! Your supposed to stop! STOP! STOP!" at this point the unicorn was running away from the shovel, which was giving chase, trying to bean her on the head... 

Clearly enchantments weren't Trixie's strong suit either...

Strong Copper had heard that story about the enchanted broom as well. It was generally the first story about enchantment magic that unicorns were taught in order to stress that it could be dangerous. The fact that the shovel in question responded to the attempt to turn it off by trying to smash the mare's head in, while some might have found it comedic, was further proof that enchantment was a dangerous field of magic.

Not wishing to see a mare get bashed in the head with a shovel, Copper started a charge in order to leap into the situation in a very literal sense. Wrapping his front legs around the shovel as his horn lit up to cease it both physically and with his magic at the same time in order to force to a halt, he actually managed to stop its attempts to attack its mistress. The strain of doing so quickly showed on his features however; It was outright fighting him every second, trying to break free of his holds with a surprising amount of strength that didn't understand the mortal limits of growing tired. His gaze looked on the thing as he struggled to maintain concentration, he had to focus on his breathing to keep them slow and steady as he quickly muttered "I don't know how long I can hold this. Please hurry!" before there was a slight wince of pain of a headache and a small shift of his grip as the shovel did a stronger then normal movement.  He lapsed into silence to better focus his attention on keeping the damn thing still.

Trixie sighed as her horn glowed and she was now in her iconic had and cape "Get back, It is time for the Great and Powerful Trixie to pass judgement on this Spunky Spellbound Spade!" As soon as Copper was clear, Trixie's horn glowed brightly as her... wings? yes! Her wings fanned out "You are now a danger to those around you! You have outlived your usefulness! Ashes to ashes, Dust... to... DUST!" with that a massive blast of energy hit the shovel and there was a loud flash, leaving nothing but a few trailing wisps of smoke behind.

Trixie's wings folded back under her cape as her horn glowed again, this time a new shovel appeared, noticeable different from the last as if to assure copper this wasn't a trick "Hopefully this one wont give so much... difficulty" she said as she sat down hard, slumping against the side of the stage to catch her breath, it seems that spell took a lot out of her.

Glancing towards the mare that had announced herself as Trixie, Strong Copper carefully untangled himself from the shovel physically but continued to maintain a firm grip with his magic. Yes it was a bit more of a headache on his part trying to contain something that was doing everything in its enchanted power to move, but it allowed him to get a relatively safe physical distance away from... to quote Trixie herself, the spellbound spade. This caution proved itself well deserved as once the magical hold faded Copper had enough to move backwards to avoid taking a heavy blow to the side of the head.

What happened next was both simple to explain... but that simplicity in turn was also incredibility complicated at the same time. It was easy to say that Trixie had suddenly sprouted a pair of wings before vaporizing her feral shovel with a blast of magic. The logistics and reasoning of how she was able to do this however was a lot more... complicated to say the least. It took a few seconds for Strong Copper to blink the spots that had appeared in his vision due to the sudden light show, but once he had he couldn't help but notice just how winded Trixie was. Calmly walking over to her side, he took a seat before reaching up to softly pat her on the back in a comforting manner. "I'm going to be completely honest with you. You're either one of the most humble ponies I have ever met, or I made such a strong good impression that you felt the need to go all out in order to impress me and blow my mind. Either way... my name is Strong Copper and it's a pleasure to meet you." He honestly couldn't help but smile as he gazed at her face and introduced himself. 

"Also, I'm sorry about your shovel. Even if it was a pain in the flank..."