Aisede

Dinner for... Two? [Closed]

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe herself knew what Twilight was referring to. Because Ponyville is where the elements of harmony lived, it was the proverbial epicenter of every catastrophe since their discovery, the exception being Tempest's Canterlot invasion. And even then, they were all still in Canterlot for that. The more she thought about it, the more it seemed trouble followed them more than others. She'd had to replace doors more than once because of shenanigans that Twilight and her friends got up to. 

She did notice that Twilight chuckled at her little comment about soap and chocolate before she asked what Rose's plan was. She wasn't entirely sure what kind of a question that was, but she would listen as Rose spoke. Apparently she was working on finding a cure for mortality itself. That was... Interesting to say the least. She wasn't sure if it were possible herself, but she was definitely enthusiastic about possibly being a part of that. She then spoke about the short term and the expedition to the Everfree. "Yeah... I going to test my Hydra wrangling skills. Applejack can wrangle all kinds a different critters so it should be easy right?" She said with a giggle knowing that she would likely be there for pretty much just emotional support. And whatever replacing fragrances she could supply.

At this point the soup was brought it and it tasted as delicious as it smelled. Kale was one of her favorite leafy greens. She would have eaten half the bowl already by the time Rose asked her to help display what she was working on. She looked at hey inquisitively for a moment before her eyes went wide and she remembered the socks. "Oh yes!!! That would be splendid! I'm sure the princess will be more than surprised!!!" She said before turning to Twilight. "May we have an extra glass of water for the demonstration please?" Aloe asked.

• Like 1
  • Hearthoof 1

TwiBanner_zpsvi6knv7w.png

Hydra blood could help her research, at least to some degree. As an alchemical compound it was treasured for regenerative properties. Of course, using it straight along activators and triggers could lead to wild deformities, but an alchemist of Rose's degree would certainly be aware of those dangers. It used to be even more highly prized when it was believed that it would lead to an easy path to immortality. The truth was that the regenerative properties of a Hydra were about cellular reconstruction to an accepted biologic base. While a very specific species of hydra near Acroneighos was rumored to be able to split indefinitely, all known species of Hydra had a set number of heads at birth- most commonly three. Their ability to regenerate their heads after losing them did not change the aging properties of the heads in question. A Hydra still grew old and died. It just that meant unless something destroyed all three heads and all three hearts in quick succession, a hydra would not die until old age claimed it in a lifespan that could last multiple pony generations. A path to immortality? She didn't think so. 

But a properly made potion using it could in theory have a tremendous number of applications. Lost limbs and even failing organs, if used properly, could go from a fatal or life altering to treatable to the extent of living a full, happy life again. There had been many similar efforts and they had one fatal flaw or another and even with Rose's skill it wasn't as if Twilight was assured of her success but there was the value in trying in and of itself, and if anycreature could do it then Twilight was staring at her right now. Of course, she was more so worried about Aloe. She was a good mare and Twilight didn't want to doubt her but hydra wrangling was a tough, dangerous business. They were giant, violent creatures with a bite that was venomous as well as capable of cutting a pony in two. Rose had tremendous power- hidden in her own way perhaps but few things could escape Twilight- but enough to ensure Aloe's safety? Twilight thought about it for a moment. Then two. "Hmmm. Just remember, a hydra is particular vicious and dangerous. We don't recommend ponies go near them and would rather it be handled by the REA. But," she said as she tossed a hoof easily towards Rose, "she has this expedition planned well. I am sure you will staff it with those that have experience with hydras, Rose?" She asked, half of it as a suggestion more so than an inquiry. 

Any concern drifted away like a ship in the night when the prospect of an invention was brought up. Her eyes sparkled. "Oh, I would love to see it!" She said, refocusing herself on the wonders of the evening and spending it with the intriguing and the kind alike. A glass of water popped into existence on the table.

• Like 1

Rose stared hard at the lavender alicorn as she thought, watching the gears turn in her head with a small, muted smile. She had so many plans for that hydra blood. So many opportunities to rediscover what was once lost to her... And an opportunity to keep Aloe in her loving embrace just a little longer

She had no doubt she could subdue one of these creatures herself, but where'd the fun in that? Where's the adventure? The intrigue? The satisfaction of sharing such a monumental experience with others of a like mind? She'd done her homework on the beast, and would have to formulate an anti-venom, but all in all she rather liked their chances. "Of course," she nodded, returning to the conversation as she brought herself back to reality. "Although I'm afraid I'm not particularly knowledgeable of this 'REA'."

A matter for later- near or far future. For now, show and tell ~ "I actually worked on this for the better part of this morning, before Aloe got up." She began to explain, gesturing towards the seemingly innocuous apparel. "If you look closely, upon activation you'll observe an array of fine runes. These allow Aloe to channel her magic with a high degree of accuracy... Well, if she knows what she's doing." She cast the pink pony a pointed- but still humored- look. "The reason she's asking for water is because that's the first thing we tested it on. Theoretically, she should be able to imbue any mundane object with magic, but for now, no higher functions exist. It's still highly expiremental, but I've deemed it safe for use."

"If you have any experience with devices like these, I would appreciate some advice. My affinity for runes is rudimentary compared to alchemy, but a little change to the catalyst always makes things a little easier."

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe herself didn't have much of anything else to add to the discussion on the actual hydra itself. Both of the other ponies in the room had much more knowledge than she did on the subject so she chose to remain silent on the matter. She didn't want to make herself look like a fool in front of the princess and by association making Rose look bad as well by saying something stupid. She also didn't have any idea about the REA either. Military stuff just never was her thing. She would treat a few of the ponies that were in from time to time, but that was the extent of her knowledge as most of them were rather quiet clients.

She would smile though once the glass of water was brought to them, or rather... poofed into existence. It appeared that Twilight was quite excited about what it was that they had to show her. She was half expecting the mare to pull out a quill and notebook but had yet to do so as Rose started to explain the socks. She couldn't help but poke her tongue back out at Rose when she joked about her knowing what she was doing. Hey, it wasn't her fault that she had literally only tried this for the first time earlier today with no warning. She was shocked she did what she had! Still though, she smiled and nodded when she said that she could control some semblance of magic. What she was actually doing, she had no idea, but once the water was populated and Rose finished speaking, Aloe started to concentrate. When she did, a soft blue aura that matched her mane traveled down the socks lightly and slowly until the water in the class had been magicified. "It's something that I wouldn't have thought possible myself... think of the uses something like this could have!" she said excitedly.

• Like 1

Twilight would let Rose's lack of knowledge about the REA slide, at least for now. She was highly intelligent but incredibly naïve- she knew so little about the modern world and those who inhabited it. It was the one area that Twilight had an earnest and honest concern growing in her regarding the ability of this wise and powerful sorceress to succeed in her endeavors. Science required research and knowledge, yes. But as she learned as she developed on her own, science required more than that. It required vision, yes, which Rose clearly had. But more than that it required awareness. Not of the exact subject itself, but of the time, of the place, of your surroundings immediate and grander. The greatest scientific discovery of all time would fall to the slightest of breezes if one lacked the context of the times. That- that worried Twilight. Not enough to dissuade her curiosity from being triggered more than it was before as they started going over the nuts and bolts of the device.

"I know my fair share when it comes to runic magic. It is not native to this land- as such,  its archanic structure needs to be efficient in order to work, as it pulls on distant aether."
She watched as Aloe 'channeled' the magic, and the water became magicified. It was impressive. Her own magic investigated it as well. The arcanic construction of it was rather nice, especially for somecreature who claimed to have lesser knowledge of runic magic. Of course, there were complications in its aetheric purity. That left open the question of just how much of this was Aloe's magic being amplified and how much of it was a runic reaction to concentrated magical force, with the unintentional aetheric direction of its creator- in this case, Rose. Still, it was a wonderful device. "How interesting. Tell me, how do you feel when you do that, Aloe?" She asked as she drank her own water.
"It is very intriguing. The interlocking archanic bindings in its base aetheric structure need rebuilding and there is too much ulnarian oscillation to mark it as stable for any greater experiment, but it is a wonderful piece of work. What gave you the idea?"

• Like 1

Perhaps naïve may be too harsh a term. Ignorant is more like it for a pony that's travelled through time. 

"I noticed she had a knack for combining materials to make something new. I was curious what enhancements she could make to her formulas if given the option to utilize magic in the creation process." Taking Twilight's criticism to heart, she scanned over the device as it operated, easily spotting the flaws in her patchwork mechanism. She could probably utilize circuit breakers to prevent a cascade and limit the power the runes draw in, that would solve the major issue with it. She already intended on rebuilding it based off of the results, so creating stronger bindings wouldn't be an issue.

Now, where to go from here... The goal, of course, is to allow Aloe to imbue her shampoos and various chemical concotions with beneficial effects without outside assistance from a unicorn or other magical creature. Watching Aloe, with that look of wonder on her face... Perhaps it's less than objective, but she'd push this project just to see that every day. It really isn't fair to ponykind to be limited to one form of magic or another, not in the slightest.

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

And just like that they had gotten Twilight's attention and she was asking about how she felt when she was using it. "Well, for right now it does take a lot of energy for me to use, but I also have no idea what I'm actually doing with it. I imagine once I figure out how magic works and a more efficient way of utilizing the energy rather than brute force, that my endurance with it will get better. That was literally only my second time using the socks," she said with a smile. She herself wasn't entirely sure how it worked or what she was doing. It was runic magic and the runes were responding to her magic. That still felt really weird to think about. Her magic. Once she figured out how to use this gift, the possibilities were endless.

As it was, she simple waited for the responses of the other two. She was a bit worried about the silence from Rose though making hey slightly worried that she has done something won't without meaning to. She was expecting Rose to be more excited. Although she also knew that Rose was really good at hiding her emotions as well. It was possible she was just waiting for more reaction from Twilight before she would play her cards.

• Like 1

Twilight nodded. It was good that the boundaries of magic were being pushed, though such runic magic would not prove as destabilizing in the field as one might hope. It was too...particular and demanding in craftsmareship to be a large-scale answer, but in the smaller affairs of personal magic accomplishment it would certainly stand as an intriguing triumph of creativity. She took another sip of water as she smiled at her Ponyville friend. "I see. Well then, you're certainly part of something special! Can't wait to see how this works out for you," she said, leaving it up to Aloe whether she meant the magical artifact, her burgeoning relationship, or both. She was referencing both. In any case however it was time for the rest of the meal to arrive.

The servers walked in, three plates on two stallions and three bowls for the last. The first serving was of roasted zucchini lasagna, the second of paneer butter masala, and the bowls contained classic minestrone soup. Twilight had to stop herself from drooling. She could eat all this and much more- the diet of an Alicorn, especially a growing one, was the stuff of sordid legend and she was not all that shy about it anymore. Her primary concern remained her delightful guests, however. "Ahh, thank you sirs. These look excellent. Feel free to eat as much as you wish, gentlemares. Or as little, as your appetite may take you," she said with a wry smile as she started cutting her masala. "So Aloe, how is Mayor Rich doing so far? I hope she hasn't sold the town to a cabal of real estate developers just yet," she asked as she took a big bite.

What are your plans beyond your 'quest', Rose?

• Like 1

Oh my, was that a Itailian dish? She wasn't expecting to see any familiar cuisine this far away from home, but as usual these Equestrians have surprised her. 

With noticeably more zeal than the previous courses, the green mare dug into her meal, savoring the spice and broth, and the creamy soup. She really needed this.

My... Plans? She hadn't really thought about what she might be doing if not pushing her own agenda. Asides from pursuing her research into a solution for mortality she supposed she planned on... Mmmhh... Raising a family.

She'd have said 'raising her brood' but she wasn't quite ready to come out of the closet yet. I couldn't ask for a better mate ~ she continues, nuzzling her love with palpable affection. Our foals will carry on my legacy, and together we will achieve everything we set out to do.

"If I may interject," she said, this time aloud, "from my observations, she actually approaches her duties with a very professional attitude. She's hosting a meeting with the Wildlife Control Committee soon to address the issue of the Everfree. I proposed we set up a fence around the perimeter of the forest and cover it with repellent, but I'm certain others may have their own ideas."