A Compass Always Points North [Griffonstone, ask for invite]

Aisede

Rose didn't really have any issues with using such a thing offensively, as the newly crowned emperor so narrowly implied, but she was disappointed that the tribal mare was against it. "I can... Simply replacing the alum with two different substitutes would achieve very similar results, and would complicate the formula enough that the laypony couldn't accidentally create a famine." She created another note, this time with two different names on it, and floated it to her.

• Like 1

Norton was relieved that Cemmoyahua was of his own mind regarding the dangers of misused fertilizer, but at the same time, he knew full well that he could not afford to pass up any opportunity to grow his ability to... grow things.  In the end, there wasn't much to do other than give the go-ahead, with cautions.  "We think alchemy would be the more stable solution.  Ingredient expenses will probably limit the amount of ground we can render productive at first, but We believe that long-term prosperity should be prioritized over short term gains.  Griffonstone will not survive another collapse."  He stroked his moustache solemnly.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

"Yes." Cemmoyahua nodded in agreement with Norton. She didn't really understand what Rose was saying, but it seemed she was addressing the problem. "Alchemy is an aid, not relying on."

She took the note in her telekinesis and gave it a look. She then floated it off to Norton so he could see it too. "Of course, if there is any other way to help I will like to see. Not just with the ground, but with growing and fruiting for plants." She explained as she dug in the ground with her hoof some, examining the soil. "Many of times, there are many solutions, yes?" She suggested then looked to Rose, "You seem compotent, do not restrict yourself."

• Like 1

All positives. Good. Maybe this place will prosper after all. "Alchemy will help them grow, the enchantment will keep the pests away. Without further assessing the condition of your crops and fields, that's all I can offer as of now. I'm not really a professional gardner- I simply apply my strong suit to something I'm not proficient in to compensate."

And it made sense to her. Gardening properly, to her, fielded the same results- if not inferior results- compared to her own form of cultivation. 

Feeling that her job here was nearing its conclusion, she began to pack up her supplies, her miniature makeshift lab swiftly disappearing into her bags, microspells going off here and there to clean and sterilize them- and, of course, she bottled a couple more samples of the soil for later study, just incase.

"If there are any of fields you beleive alchemy may be applicable in, I'm receptive to suggestions." She said as she stood up, looking down over the rolling plains. "I'm also adept at wizardry, if your ponies need any tutelage, Miss Cemmoyāhua. Although most of my knowledge is offensive or utility."

• Like 1

With the business of agricultural production more or less set on its trajectory, Emperor Norton found himself free to speculate upon further uses of alchemy.  "Hm, currently, our main economic activity is mining.  That is a work more for physical than chemical effort, though when done at-scale much in the way of by-products and waste is generated.  I wonder if you have any methods of recycling such things?  The sooner the infrastructure for that is set up, the better we will be able to scale it as we increase our production.  I should not like to pollute my own lands, you understand!"

• Like 1