Fresh Farm Air [Sweet Apple Acres] Attn Steel & Hypo

Skycoaster

Apple Bloom had to think hard about it. When was their laziest season? Didn't really exist, she reckoned. Spring and summer were busy all day every day. Autumn was the harvesting season to end all seasons, and winter was cider season. They had enough cultivars and business models that they were busy essentially all the time. However, the first month of the year was historically the slowest, before spring kicked off and right after the height of cider season. "Hmm, mid-winter, maybe. Ah'd have to talk it over with Applejack but I'd think that's tha time. An' right when it's coldest too, for tha realest Crystal Empire experience," she winked at her nephew. "Gettin' tha royal treatment would be nice," she said excitedly before leaning in closer to Zap. "Ah can tell you from experience, them big pillows give ya tha best sleep ever," she said as she started to eat greedily. While doing so, the subject of her name and past events came up. Apple Bloom knew the story well enough but truth be told she was just a secondary mare to the whole thing, so it was hard to know for certain. "Yeah, Applejack spoke ta me 'bout it, but Ah don't think she thought too much of it. Ah mean, all things considered, after all."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Zap_Apple.png?width=646&height=676

Zap finished his slice faster than the other two, and emptied his glass of milk before the older pony conversation was done. This was typically the moment where Zap would asked to be excused and would fly out into the yard to continue playing with Jack again, without really waiting on the words that provided him permission. But with Flurry Heart here, and Apple Bloom trying to make some kind of an impression, Zap realized he might be held hostage in this environment for the time being. To help cope with the boredom, Zap attempted to include himself in the conversation. "So Princess Flurry Heart." Zap stated her name carefully. "What is it you do, anyway?" Zap knew princesses rule, but the ruler of the Crystal Empire was Flurry's mom. So what gives?

• Like 1

Flurry smiled to Apple Bloom. “I’ll make sure to pencil you both in for a visit….as long as their isn’t another royal summit again…” She’d smile at AB’s comment about how cold it was in the winter in the empire. “Don’t worry about frostbite though. The Crystal Heart keeps us safe from the bitter stuff.”

As Zap’s interest in her life grew, she had to think. “Well, mom runs things with dad’s help. I’m still mainly an overworked student, like you?” She couldn’t tell if he was old enough to attend school yet, but it was just assumed. “I have to learn everything mom knows, and then some. History of the Crystal Empire to finance to How to even eat. Who knew there where three forks and what each was for,” she’d try to laugh. 

“Most of that stuff I brought with me where different books mom wants me to know by the end of the year. A few of them have my Power Ponies comics hidden in them.”

• Like 2

A trip it would be. She would have to pack warm, despite what the Princess said, She was probably numb to the chills that the Crystal Empire provided. Sure, frostbite wouldn't be a problem but there was a veritable wall of cold that would sap her will to go outside. She'd rather just relax by the fire with some hot cocoa, thank you very much. "Ah'm excited. Tha Empire is so pretty. And everypony dresses so...classy," she said in a lower tone, imagining what crystal infused dress she could buy to make Rarity jealous. She didn't want to...most of the time, but when you could, well, why not? "Ah'm gonna be ready any day, any time. It'll be very cool. Well, cold but also interesting. And then Zap Apple'll be all sparkly and such. I wonder if we still have the pictures from the Crystal Empire...oh, I know where they are. Wanna see 'em, Zap?"

Apple Bloom really wished that Zap Apple would ask to go outside and play with Jack as per his normal operation but he instead did not. She was really worried about him, but that was mostly on her and she knew that she just didn't want the Princess to think ill of them. She didn't know Flurry Heart! As far as Apple Bloom knew, the Princess hated farms and dirt and farmers who were dirty and she didn't want to give Flurry a moment's more doubt as to their quality. But she didn't have to worry. Zap didn't seem to have his antagonistic little colt shoes on right now. Indeed, he asked a question and then Flurry's answer proved to show just how much of a filly she was! "Power Ponies comics? I didn't take you for a comics kinda filly. What else catch yer eye?" Apple Bloom asked as she leaned back, relaxed. She wasn't much of a comics pony herself but she could appreciate it the silliness of it all.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The fact that the young princess admitted to being interested in comics alerted Zap to jump up and stand on the table, interrupting Apple Bloom, and causing anything not glued to the table to shake. "Ooo! Ooo! Do you like Daring Do books, too!? I can't read the big books yet, but Dashie reads me stories and those are awesome!"

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Flurry nodded. “I guess I get the comic thing from my dad,” she said shrugging her shoulders for a moment. “There’s a few other comics I like reading as well, but I haven’t gotten too far into them because of all my school work.” 

She would flinch when Zapp jumped onto the table for a second. Nodding yes to his question, she would blush in embarrassment. “I actually have my first ever book report on Daring Do #1 due at the end of the month. My tutor wasn’t too happy that I chose it…until I said that it was Aunt Twilight approved.” Looking over to Apple Bloom she’d smile. “Sometimes I like to…as dad calls it…zone out when reading books like that though. I like to imagine I’m in the book, doing what mane character is doing… something I can’t do with my princess etiquette books.” 

Looking over to AB once more she’d wink as an idea came into her head. “Hey Zapp, you want to read one of my books I brought and then I can read you one of your Daring Do books later? Just think, you’d be the first non ruler to ever see those pages.” 

• Like 1

Ahhh, that figured. Shining Armor was a freakin' nerd in High School and he remained a nerd all the way now, probably. "I bet he did. Does he still have his old records? Does he listen to some really bad old music?" She laughed, shaking her head and she tried to imagine him jamming out to some weird cringe rock ballad from his youth like a loser. A loser she respected and admired of course, but all big ponies had some rather loser-ish tendencies. 
A defect of their kind.

As she imagined how nerdy the Nerd Prince is and was, the two other ponies around her started to discuss a topic that after a while drew her into the absurdity of it all. The Princess could like what she liked and so a little filly liking Daring Do only made sense. After all, everypony who liked adventure liked Daring Do. It was one of the world's most famous novel series, after all. But Zap Apple reading some Princess etiquette book? That was worth the price of admission. "Ooh, i like that idea. And afterwards, Zap Apple can wear one of Ambrosia's little Princess dresses. You know, so we can see how good your etiquette is," she teased. In all seriousness though, he needed to learn just a teensy bit more etiquette. A lot more etiquette. Any etiquette?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Princesses had schoolwork? Zap just assumed that princesses would never have to do normal pony things, since their esteemed to some other class of pony knowledge and understanding. Nut apparently that's not how it worked. "Um. Sure, ok. What books did you bring?" Having been fed the hint that only ruling class ponies read some of her books, gave Zap some amount of curiosity. But he was old enough now to where his parents would pretend that something was special just to get Zap to do something he didn't want to do. So, he was skeptical.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Flurry nodded to Apple Bloom's questions about her father. "Yea... Now that I think about it though, both Dad and Mom do enjoy Karaoke Night perhaps a bit too much when they go out." When the princess dress was mentioned, Flurry chuckled and looked away from Zap, blushing a bit. "We normally don't wear clothes that often...normally just our tiara, and sometimes matching shoes and a chest thingy." She'd tap a hoof to her chin. "I think mine is going to be silver...or maybe steel? I only saw it from a distance. Mom thinks I'll loose it because I'm not responsible enough yet."

When Zap asked about the books, Flurry would smile. "I have ones on foreign affairs, borders and border disputes, domestic disputes....come to think about it, most of them have to do with ether manners or disputes. We have lots of those apparently."

A light did go off in the little alicorn's head though as she remembered one of the books. "Oh I know a good one, and one that was written by Princess Luna over a thousand years ago. You just have to learn a bit of old Ponish to understand it but it's fairly easy to learn. 'Projecting Power-The Royal Canterlot Voice.' How's that one sound?"

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Apple Bloom had to stop herself from imagining just how embarrassing it would look for a Prince and Princess to sing badly at karaoke. Was that how wars started? She didn't really know what would qualify as a national dishonor that would result in such things, but she knew for a fact that if anypony saw some of Twilight's dance moves that would certainly rank right up there. Was it torture? Maybe these high and mighty types should hire ponies to sing and dance in their stead at such shindigs, on account of not wanting to make foals of themselves. Applejack could do it. Applejack could do anything but she could sing her heart out better than most knew. "What do they call them ponies that sing and dance for royals? Uhh...Jestars? If y'all ever need it, ya know on account of them older ponies not being much for song and such, Applejack could do it. She sings real good!" Apple Bloom said proudly as she finished herself and collected the plates and such that were empty.

She brought them over to the sink, balanced on her head and back all delicate like. She started getting to work, trying to make sure she got through this part over quick. As she did, she heard her talk about the royal Canterlot voice. Apple Bloom shivered, her eyebrow arched. "Well, can't say much about big disputes or such, but Ah remember tha Royal Canterlot Voice. It seemed magical, leas' that's how Ah reckoned with it. It wasn't just loud, it was deep and felt like you were being hit by a wave. AJ said there was somethin' in it about it being used to get certain reactions, dependin' on yer intent. But all Ah know is it scared me something straight! Can't say that Ah've ever heard Celestia use it, and Ah think Twi did it once accidentally," Apple Bloom pondered as she started up the water for the sink.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Zap looked perplexed at what Flurry Heart was mentioning for her books and how Auntie Apple Bloom was responding with all the knowledge of her lived experience. But Zap had no interest in that which he had no experience. In fact, his young colt life had brought him to this point to easily mention his own perspective on the matter. "That all sounds really boring. Don't you have any fun books like about flying or super duper magic spells or how to get what you want?" If Zap was a princess, he would spend his days perfecting the 'getting what he wants' aspect of his role.