Learning Lernaean [Open Invt] (Everfree Forest)

Aisede

Scarlett raised an eyebrow as Rose seemed to address the non-invasive/non-lethal part to her and the stallion specifically. Well, she supposed it was fair, since they seemed to be the most combat-inclined of the group. The two shared a look briefly before focusing back in on the briefing. 

The pirate captain sighed at the new arrival’s entrance, shaking her head slightly as a black unicorn that had been idly smoking by the railing floated the ring back up in his magic.

“Thanks, Marcen.” She said simply, the unicorn stallion giving a nod in return. “Welcome to my ship, I suppose. What do you do besides go on random explorations? If you can’t help the crew, stay out of the way once we get moving.” She added to the new mare, looking her over. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rose took a moment to appraise the new arrival, her true feelings on the matter hidden behind a neutral expression. "That is correct, Ms. Heart. We were actually just about to set off, so your timing is most fortuitous."

Sighing internally, she very briefly summarized the plan she had concocted, then turned to address the entire crew once more. "Mares, and griffon, it would seem we got ourselves an extra set of hooves. Let's give her a proper welcome."

"So, tell me Venture Heart, what kinds of skills do you possess that may assist us on our mission?" She asked, summoning a projection of a hydra on deck. Its many heads writhed and snapped at the air, that is, until a comically oversized syringe poked it and it fell like a sack of potatoes.

Almost as an afterthought, she floated one of the needles over to Venture as well.

hFY9Dlw.png?1

Sea F. Salt found herself sitting in a small river that barely entered the Everfree forest. The morning of, she got off the train from her beach home in Horseshoe Bay, located east on Equestria's map. The train ride was long and boring, and she found herself dozing off for a lot of it. The reason she was coming to Ponyville was because she either heard (or got invited, she didn't really remember) about an expedition. Something about dealing with a Hydra.. eh- it sounded intriguing to her. Her specialty was water, as she owned her own water arena. She was an amazing swimmer, and knew how to calm down big monsters with her air-headed ways. The blue pegasus was very wise in her own way. 

So, fast forward, she was sitting in a river, watching all the little fish swim by her. Finnie didn't remember how she got there, as the sweet smell of fresh water caught her nose on her way over to the forest. Luckily, the river exited into the haunted trees. She was never scared of the idea of forests, just curious in what cool creatures could inhabit there. She knew there were a plethora of different water animals that she wanted to research, which pushed her to come out. 

She snapped out of her thoughts when she heard ponies talking from above ground. She briefly got up, following the river into the forest, which quite literally ended where the airship was. The hippie glanced at it for a second, seeing as it was almost going to leave her. She was generally always late to important things like this, getting side tracked by nature. 

She thought for a second, trying to figure out a way up there. She listened to what all the other individuals in the ship were saying. The only thing the pegasus took note of was them asking questions to another pony. Finnie knew she was probably the last one to get on it, so she was ready for a scolding. But, she still couldn't figure out how to get up there. Sure, she was a pegasus. She could just fly up there, right? That was a possibility, only a little though, as her wings were underdeveloped. She could hover, but she didn't know if she could reach it. 

Thinking quickly to not waste anymore time, the pegasus started to flap her little wings, using the waterfall from the river to push off on. She got some height, but the push off from the waterfall created a huge splash, as Finnie's bags, tail, and wings collected a ton of water. As she heaved herself up, water flew all over the place, absolutely drenching her. She barely nicked the deck, flipping over and landing somewhat safely on the ship. Finnie gave a smile as she lifted her heavy, wet self off the ground. "Whew! Sorry for that landin'. That was crazier than a watchin' a jellyfish walk around on land!" She let out a laugh, shaking off the majority of water on her body, generally not caring where the excess water lands. "I'm Sea Fin Salt, but you dudes can call me Finnie," she continued, using her wing to pick water out of her ear. 

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe watch and listened to the newcomer as she spoke. Honestly, her entrance didn't inspire much faith into her. She seemed to be an experienced adventurer though, and considering Copper wasn't coming with them that would fill that gap in skill-sets. Another pegasus had joined in as well. She called herself Finnie. She was a pegasus though judging by the amount of water on her, she was a swimmer and not a flyer. She wasn't sure how that would help things, but that wasn't her place to judge or say. After all, she herself was a spa pony and most would say she had no business here either. She simply waited for Rose's answer on the matter. 

~~~Venture Heart~~~

Venture Heart would nod as she heard the mare in charge summarize everything. The plan seemed simple enough, and she didn't find many flaws in it. She took one oh the syringes and placed it in her bag before the captain addressed her. "Well, I will admit, most of my survival skills are ground based, but I can navigate with the best of them. I have a unique sense of direction and know pretty much exactly where I am at all times. I just need to be able to see the skies. Outside of that, I'm pretty good at tieing knots so I can help secure rigging if needed," she said before another new one graced then with their presence. Venture couldn't help but snicker a bit as this mare made pretty much the same impression she did with her landing.

She held her wings up to shield herself from the water that was shaken off of the mare and she smiled back. "Well! That is quite the entrance, I'll say. Reminds me of the entrance I literally just happened to have myself just a few moments ago. Speaking of which... You didn't happen to see one of those life saver thingies on your way up did you? On kinda got flung overboard when it got stuck on my head," she asked the mare. 

• Like 2

"..." Rose, without a word, trotted over to the edge of the ship and looked over it. She looked left, she looked right, she looked up, and she even cast a spell to see underground. And then, when she confirmed nobody else was going to spontaneously appear, she backed away from the edge and a clear dome began to form over the entire ship.

In a matter of moments, it solidified, a pale shade of blue.

"Alright, this is it for the crew. I will go over this exactly one more time, but in the meantime- SCARLET, LET US SET SAIL!" or whatever the word is. Lift off, she thought? "Now, I know the advertisement may have been alluring for the common adventurer, but this is a delicate operation. Take these sarynges, and use them wisely. You will not be getting another."

• Like 1

“Don’t worry, we got it.” Scarlett said as she walked past Venture. “Unicorns are useful like that.” With that, she continued walking, heading towards the helm and shouting orders at the crew. Soon enough, they were moving as the ship turned in the direction of the objective and started moving. 

———————

Tiger watched the crew at first, getting a feel for where he could help out, then jumped in when he felt ready. It was mostly moving stuff around or pulling ropes, but it was something. 

• Like 1

((sorry, kinda jumped the gun there...))

And so, they set sail. The mighty flying amalgamation of metal, wood, and magic cast its shadow over the enchanted land, the cries of monsters and other strange phenomena reaching the ears of all on-board. After taking off, Rose hadn't let down the bubble, but she did make it more translucent for ease of navigation. Wind speeds seemed to be normal, and only the odd stormcloud impeded their path, quickly dispersed by those most equipped to do so. 

Rose idly scanned the perimeter of the ship as she trod the top deck, looking down into the darkened greenery with a perplexed expression. What was down there? What was worth investigating? Were they going the right way? She decided that, maybe, the best way to find answers were in her odd travel companions, going to make sure none of them had set fire to the ship yet.

Her first stop would be Sea F. Salt, whom seemed to have an affinity for water. A useless skill to possess for the purposes of this mission, but one she felt like inquiring about nonetheless. "That is quite the unique skill you seem to possess, Ms. Salt," she'd say, approaching her when she found her wherever she was. "Might I inquire how it is you manipulate fluids without a horn?"

In the distance, a manticore peeked its head out the top of some trees. After taking one look at the large, flying machine, it disappeared with a low growl. That wouldn't be easy prey, after all, even for a monster of its size. 

• Like 1

CsIArFx.png?1

The hippie smiled at her companions, her friendly nature flowing off her body. Her little winds stayed folded on her back, as she looked at the pegasus beside her. She almost missed half of what she was saying, until got out of her thoughts. "Sorry, mate. Don't think I saw a floaty thingy on my way up here." Her words were rather slow, but smoothly sailed out of her mouth. Funnily as she said that, the life saver bonked her right on the head. She didn't even flinch, as she slowly looked down at it. "Is that what your were missin'?" She pointed at it, which clearly any pony could see. 

The blue mare could hear another pony set the sail. She reacted my sitting down in her water puddle, feeling the ship start to fly off. She was handed a syringe, in which she looked at it closely, trying to feel the vibes on the item. She was interested in it, but didn't quite understand it. The mare shrugged it off, though, putting it in her bag. 

Finnie sat there in silence, letting the winds flow around her. Her eyes were closed as she let the air hit her body, her mane waving around peacefully. Her whole body was relaxed, letting nature do it's thing. Her silence came to an end as a pony approached her. She opened her bright orange eyes, looking up to see another mare. "Finnie is good," she first said, giving her an airy smile. She started to space off, then shook her head. "Manipulate? Oh! You mean swim," she chuckled quietly. "Water is a breeze to work with. Almost like flyin'. It's also like growin' food. You have to feel the earth. Feel the water flowing above it. You have to taste, understand, become friends with water or it'll be your enemy. You can never fight water, but water can fight with you." Her silly montage of wisdom was cut short when she started to focus on the wind again. "If you can feel the wind's motion, you can feel the water's motion as well. They work hoof and hoof. You don't need magic to know how water works, bud. Water is your friend, not a toy you can manipulate. Swimming is an activity you, and your friend water, do together." 

She ended her statement with a cheesy smile, as she opened her wings to feel the wind once again. Hopefully her message made sense, most of the time she had to explain her talents in more.. simple terms. 

• Like 1

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

There wasn't a whole lot for Aloe to contribute to the current conversation, and she wasn't much of a sailor pony either. She decided to take more of Scarlett's advice and move to a part of the deck where she with be out of the way and she watched over the balcony. This was her first time on a ship of any kind and she wanted to take in the experience. Sure they were going over the Everfree Forest, but from above the forest didn't look that bad. In fact, it actually looked quite regal. It always amazed her how in nature the more beautiful things were, the deadlier they were. Herbs were the same way. The ones that were the prettiest often times had deadly side effects of not handled properly. She wondered what kind of animals they would be able to see through the canopy.

~~~Venture Heart~~~

Venture Heart was relieved when the life saver thingy was plopped back onto the deck. She was glad that her entrance hadn't left the vessel without such an important tool. She heard this new pegasus speak and commented that working with water was a lot like flying. She brought up a lot of good points about it. She compared it to dealing with earth in a sense as well, saying that it was better to make the water a friend than an enemy. It was also very true that water was impossible to fight against, as were most forces of nature. However, she said that water could fight with them.

"I'd have to agree. I've been in a fair share of my own sticky situations regarding water. You have to let it do it's thing, and usually it opens a way out, as long as you're a good swimmer and can hold your breath for a good amount of time. You also can't panic. Believe or not water knows when your panicking and will take advantage of it," Venture added. "That and most Pegasi have some sort of natural connection with the elements that make up weather, and water is a big part of that. In fact... Thinking about it... Everything other than hot is controlled by water levels..." she finished.