Looking to Give it the Old College Try!

CelestialEvolution

• About Myself: Me? Just an old woman trying to get through her last semester of college, honestly. I’m into a bunch of different fandoms, from MLP to Vivziepop’s stuff, Infinity Train to Ace Attorney, Pokemon to...well, the list could go on a while. I’m super new to roleplaying as a whole, but I have been writing fanfics and such for ages, and really, what is a roleplay but a communal fanfic? At least, that’s what I tell myself to convince myself I can do it, heh. I adore lore, fan theories, and unnecessarily analyzing the heck out of out any series I get into. I have so many headcanons. They won’t stop. Send help please. 

• How I found Canterlot.com: Not much of a story here, I’m afraid! I just Googled “MLP roleplay” as one of the fandoms I was willing to try roleplay with, and this was one of the Google resuts! I looked at most of the first couple pages, but unfortunately, many of the results were either not quite my cup of tea or near totally inactive. Seeing all those abandoned forums is honestly really sad, but I’m glad I could find this one to give things a try!

• How I became a fan of MLP:FiM: I watched the series from the moment it started airing! I was a fan of MLP Gen III as a little girl, so between that and being a big animation fan in general, it was only natural I check out the new iteration of the franchise! And honestly, I was so pleased with what I saw. I loved the direction FiM went in its attempts to be more than just a low effort toy ad, and a good narrative experience in its own right instead. I think it definitely succeeded and earned the fanbase it amassed. Really, there’s just a lot of modern animation that’s blowing me away at every turn!

• My favorite main cast/pony: Oh no, I really have to choose, don’t I? Of the Mane Six....you know what, I’ll go with Fluttershy. I guess I relate to being really withdrawn and a doormat and having to learn to come out of that shell, since I’ve struggled with really severe anxiety. I’m doing a lot better nowadays, but it was a real journey. Even though I wasn’t big on the episode as a whole, I especially love when she pointed out that one epiphany doesn’t automatically change a person, and that it is a process that involves a lot of frustration, time, two steps forward one step back, etc, to really change. Plus, she’s just sweet and has a literal chaos god at her beck and call. Well, sort of. It IS Discord we’re talking about. Still undeniably cool!

• And here’s the fun part: I’ve read the rules like five times and am still terrified of doing something wrong, lol. Like I said, I’m totally new to RPs, but I’m looking forward to learning and at least giving it a try. Open to any pointers anyone has about how to join RPs, etiquette beyond the usual don’t control other people’s characters and follow rules and such! OC development, finding threads to join, so on and so forth! And uh, quick advance apology for any bizarre typos. Some of my keys are dying on me so I rely on alt codes and one wrong button press and suddenly you’ve put a Venus sign instead of a colon, and no one knows what you were trying to get across!
  • Like 1

Welcome, it's good to see ya!  I'm one of the friendly neighborhood Admins, most around here call me Blue or Bluey.  If you need any guidance on getting on-ramped into RP on site, just PM me!

As a few general pointers, the WoE boards are moderated, so we tend to want to have a character profile/application for OC's there, as well as anyone who wants to a play a cast member.  We don't limit cast characters, though, so even though we have a Fluttershy player, you're more than welcome to write up and play your own interpretation!

Any thread marked "Open" is open for anyone to join, though if its more than a few pages in, you might want to PM the OP to see how to integrate your character in..  Closed threads are indicated as such, or have usernames listed in the thread title.  The OOC discussion board can be used to set those up, or the Discord server as well.

Besides that, though, I don't think you'll have too much trouble, you're approaching it in the right spirit!  How you enjoy your stay here on Canterlot.

Thanks so much for the welcome and advice! From what I’ve seen, everyone here seems really nice so far. So it sounds like my main focuses should be figuring out all the categories, getting a character ready, and then looking at the available RPs! Honestly, doesn’t seem as complicated as I first thought it would be. I’m really looking forward to it!

I feel better knowing I’m not the only one still learning, that’s for sure! Now if I can just narrow down all my OC ideas into one to start out with, hah. So many ideas, so little time! It’s a load of fun looking at other people’s apps and seeing what they come up with, though, and is giving me a pretty good idea of how the process works and which of my OCs might be the best fits to play with.

For the animation itself, a lot of it is just very fluid and nice to look at, and the movie especially blows it out of the water in terms of visuals. They had a much bigger budget than they did for the series, and anyone can see they sure put it to use! Sure, there are plenty of animation errors too, but hey, how can I complain too much when those same errors gave us Derpy and a number of other fun background pony characterizations? But even past just the visuals, the show has a ton of charm to it. Like I said, previous pony series were mainly just toy advertisements, and the narrative and characterization came second. FiM shows you can embrace being a fun, girly show about pastel ponies while still telling interesting stories and endearing you to its characters. I greatly prefer that to many other reboots/revivals that take Girl Show Ghetto series and take them to the opposite extreme of being as dark and edgy as possible! Lookin’ at you, Netflix - middle grounds DO exist, you know!

Haha yes, i totally agree. the budget was clearly higher, though i felt bad because i didn't like the plot of the mlp movie very much. i felt like they did a better job with most of their two-part episodes than they did with the movie. but it really advanced the plot of the main series, which i did enjoy. 

as far as the visuals goes, i totally agree with you. the style is just so appealing!

let me know if you ever want to roleplay! i have my first character rolled out and i'm itching to play her!

I liked the movie a lot in concept but it felt a bit rushed. I think they got too ambitious and tried to fit too much into the runtime, so they couldn’t really explore everything they wanted. I still mostly like it, but it did have flaws. Tempest was great though, I really came to like her, and that Villain Song was killer!

Same! Still working on character full character apps, but I have general ideas for several OCs I’d love to explore! We could always jump into a FFA to start out with and test our characters if you’d be down to plan something via PM!