Wet Acquaintances (Closed: supersonic759)

Hippo

Silverstream moved into what she felt she could call home. Or at least a home away from home. It would be hard to ever replace the familiar salt water currents in Seaquestria, but at least in the water in the school of friendship's lake she could stay in touch with her swimming nature. It also provided a place where she could be left alone. Not that she needed much seclusion. In fact, it was often her friends that needed a break from her and her hyperactive musings. Silverstream was very good at entertaining herself. And so underneath the school in the water is where she spent time resting and studying by herself. The underwater home was unique. The lake around the school was not that exotic. Fresh water fish and plants could only be so diverse. But the rocky foundation the school rested on provided an interesting cavern system in which Silverstream was able to create a large enough air pocket to build a cozy little habitat where a few supplies and some comforts would provide her a place of refuge. The underwater cave was lit by sea lanterns and glowing coral, items she brought to Ponyville with her when she prepared this place for the first time.

The hippogriff was currently in her seapony form, but she sat upon the rocks in the dry area of the cave. Silverstream had just finished reading a chapter in a pony history book about the aqueducts used in olden pony times in the city of Roam. Learning new things about non-seapony culture was always interesting to her, but the engineering achievements of civilizations from several hundred moons ago baffled her. And she wondered what uses the kind of technology creatures were using that long ago has in applications to today. Were brilliant but simple machines being used in other towns she hadn't been to yet in Equestria, or had the increased use of unicorn magic rendered many ancient inventions useless? She pondered.

large.png

• Like 1

But beyond the comforts of her cozy cavern, that seclusion was unfortunately about to be shattered by a pony of ....hybrid proportions.

A timid cyan-blue pegasus with ocean blue eyes had slipped into the water out of curiosity, eager to see the marine life found in quaint little Ponyville, unaware she was trespassing.

Her wings guided her through the water, steering and boosting the pony's speed as she dove deeper and deeper to the bottom, suddenly finding herself surrounded by the common fish folk that swam in the school of friendship's lake.

These were fish she had definitely never seen before!

"Oh! Hello everyfish! I hope you don't mind me being here! I'm new to Ponyville and I'm just wanting to see what fish live here! You're all so different than what I'd see back on Haywaii!" the pegasus commented, smiling as she did.

As the words and.....lack of air bubbles escaped the newcomer's lips, the fish all seemed to be amazed by this stranger.

How was she not drowning?!

Aquaria could see this after brushing her short navy blue hair (with a cyan streak) to the side and happily explained herself to the multitude of trout, salmon, and bass that were now watching intently.

"Well you see, I was born with a set of gills on my neck. I can breathe water just like you guys!" 

• Like 1

large.png

Silverstream minded her own business looking at the different bits of information in her book when suddenly she heard watery voices coming from the depths of the lake. From inside the cave, the bubbling voices seemed odd. They sounded much like the ones you'd hear in Seaquestria when seaponies were talking underwater around those out of the water. But this wasn't Seaquestria and there weren't any seaponies besides Silverstream. Were there?

Silverstream dropped her book, and popped her head into the water from the airy cave to see if she could see where the voices were coming from. In the distance, she could see a pony talking to fish that were curious about her existence. Silverstream gasped air bubbles out of her mouth, but then took a deep breath of water. She directed her friendly water-filled voice towards the stranger. "Who are you, and..." Silverstream stared at her lack of fins. "What are you!?"

• Like 1

More and more creatures surrounded Aquaria as word immediately spread across the body of water that there was another fish pony among them.

Then came the voice from somewhere.

Aquaria didn't make out any discernable words but just hearing another voice....in her place of comfort, it was enough to send her darting off to look for a hiding place!

Luckily she found one; a small crevice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Silverstream swam after the creature who swam away. It seemed she had spooked them, but she didn't mean to frighten. She swam around the rocks and lakebed she knew so well and looked for the obvious places to hide in. "Did they swim out?" She thought out loud. Her blue fins slow-danced in the calm lake water as she looked around wondering where the timid creature had gone.

• Like 1

Aquaria breathed a sigh of relief as she peeked out from her hidey hole...

...until she felt something touch her flank!

Out of surprise, the shy mare darted out of hiding, unaware it was an octopus that she had disturbed from slumber!

• Like 1

large.png

The swish of water alerted Silverstream to turn towards the movement of what looked like a...  pony? And behind the pony was a disgruntled octopus shaking his displeasure with his tentacles. Silverstream swam closer to the pony in the water to get a good look. Risking scaring her again, she leaned in and noticed the gills along her neck. "You're a seapony!? But where's your fin? And you have wings? I don't have wings. Well, I do have wings but not like those. I have feathered wings when I'm a hippogriff. See I was born a seapony and then turned into a hippogriff, it's a long story, but WOW!" Silverstream couldn't help her excitement grow. Discovering new things and new creatures was one of her favorite joys in life. Hopefully for her visitor, it didn't scare her. "So I see you have a mouth. Do you talk, too?" Silverstream pried, hoping the curiosity can be reciprocal.

• Hearthoof 1

For the longest time, Aquaria said nothing, obviously too overwhelmed with shyness as she tensed up and curled, trying to shrink herself.

But finally the stranger seemed to back off slightly as if to give room and show she meant no harm.

A reassuring sight for the sea pegasus.

“......................................y-yes...” Aquaria meekly replied while avoiding eye contact. 

• Like 1

Silverstream slowly swam around them, examining the uniqueness of her features. "You're amazing! But...   what are you? Have pegasus ponies been able to breathe and talk underwater all this time and I didn't know about it?" Silverstream feared embarrassment from being left out of a common anatomical knowledge. She rubbed her head with a hoofin in thinking about what she was seeing. "You're some kind of seapony with extra legs, maybe?" Silverstream thought it best she keep playing the guessing game, since the shy creature wasn't immediately willing to introduce herself so far. However, anytime they would interrupt Silverstream's rambling to cut to the chase would be fine by her. "Did Headmare Twilight perform an experimental spell on you?"

• Like 1

Aquaria’s head just kept tilting with each bizarre question from this strange creature. But atleast she didn’t seem hostile or bully-like. Just a curious young.........whatever she said she was. “.........uhm.........I don’t know any Twilight..........I-I-I-I was born like th-this........m-my mom is a s-s-seapony..........and my dad’s a pegasus.........”

Unbeknownst to the two aquatic equines, the fish from before were slowly crowding around them, apparently still intrigued by the outsider.

“.............m-m-my name is A-A-A-Aquaria by the w-way........”

• Like 1

Silverstream hung on every word, and once the stutters were done, she expressed her gratitude. "Oh, wow! You have a seapony mom!?" Silverstream leans into Aquaria's ears. "Do I know her? Do they live in Seaquestria?" Silverstream gasped. "Are we cousins!!??!?" The fish around reacted to the watery motions she was making with her fins and tail. "I have so many questions! But before we get to that, what are you doing down here? How did you get here? We're a long way from the ocean. Do you live around here?" Silverstream never introduced herself. Maybe once her curiosity was sated would she ever think to do so without being asked.

• Like 1

Aquaria was flinching with every exclamation from the watery stranger’s mouth until she was curled into a cowering ball again. 

But after peeking out and seeing the other seapony had back up a bit to give some space, the sea pegasus took a few deep breaths to calm herself before mustering up the courage to speak.

“..............I-I-I’m new here....to Ponyville....I-I just moved from H-Haywaii.......I was just e-e-excited to explore all the b-bodies of water here and say hi to the fish......” Aquaria blushed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1732271.png

Silverstream carefully listened to the shy pony while she slowly danced her tailfin to the subtle changes in the lake's temperature. When Aquaria seemingly finished her short explanation, Silverstream showed her excitement without fail. "You're from Haywaii!? That's so awesome! I've never met anycreature from Haywaii before! Or any pony for that matter." Silverstream swirled around a couple times before settling back and rubbing her neck. "But uh, where is Haywaii?" Despite genuinely being excited to meet someone from a different place, Silverstream felt embarrassed she had never heard of this place before. Just when she thought she had covered the entire map of Equestria, another place was put before Silverstream. There was so much in this world for her to explore, and there would always be more. And today, that exploration would come to her.

• Like 1

"....um.....just a little ways off the mainland. A few miles away from M-M-Mount...." Aquaria paused, looking for a name. And as she spoke, her shyness seemed to slowly disappear, now realizing she was in her place of comfort: underwater! And she was in the presence of another fellow water breather! “Mount Air-iz...???”

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Mount Aris!?" Silverstream exploded again. "I'm from Mount Aris! Well, actually I'm from Seaquestria which is in the sea adjacent to Mount Aris, but my family is from Mount Aris! Do you have any hippogriff friends?"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Why would they call you a freak?" Silverstream leaned forward a little more, looking at her extremities. "Is it because there's not many ponies that look like you?"

• Like 1

"Gills?" Silverstream blinked. "Oh! Gills! Yeah I guess ponies don't have those, nor do I." She snorted involuntarily. "Or anycreature I know here actually. Even Ocellus doesn't have gills. Or does she? Well if she wanted gills she could just give them to herself doing, ya know...    the whole changeling thing." Silverstream interrupted herself. "And Ocellus! Hey, if gills are freaky, then Ocellus is really freaky. She can change into anything or anyone if she wanted, although usually she tries not to do it too much...    because it's so freaky!" Silverstream animated her excitement for her changeling friend's ability to morph into other creatures, something Silverstream admitted would be fun if she could do it. "Have you ever met a freak?... I mean a changeling?"

• Like 1

"That's nonsense. The changelings here are friendly. I should introduce you to Ocellus, or any of the other changelings at the school." She interrupted her train of thought once again. "So you're not here for the school? Did you know about the school that's here?"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Silverstream took pause with her new friend's non-verbal decline. "Oh." She raised her fins up in excitement. "Well...  there's a school up there! You should go to the school and learn about friendship!"

• 1 month later...

Silverstream gasped. "Of course we can be friends!" As her eyes grew to the size of saucers, she grabbed the unique pony by the hoof and squeezed it lovingly. "But the school has more about than just making friends. It teaches you everything you need to know about what it's like to engage with creatures from all over. I've been there over a year and I'm still learning new things about friendship!" Silverstream had no authority to enroll somecreature into the academy, but she knew she could direct them in the right direction to be apart of the school. "Do you want me to introduce you to the faculty? Maybe you can be a student!"