An Unusual Customer

Aisede

It'd been awhile since Rose was this excited for a day at the spa. In the beginning, working alongside Aloe was all the excitement she needed. Then it was the experience- although... Lingering memories of unpleasant times occasionally clawed their way to the forefront of her mind, she was always able to focus on the present and enjoy the moment. She learned a lot, and got to advertise some of her own solutions in the process.

A lot of the novelty had faded over repeated cycles, but that didn't mean she enjoyed the work any less. Today, however, wasn't one of those days. Today, they were getting a special customer, of a species she couldn't recall encountering in either of her lifetimes: they were being visited by a kelpie.

Coltic lore painted them as bewitching beauties with carnal appetites, akin to a changeling crossed with a siren, but other sources made them out to be the spawn of a leviathan and chaos. She wasn't sure which held more water, other than the proven fact that this creature was evidently made of the substance.

To those ends, she had prepared a few things. Run a few... Covert tests, while of course enduring her patrons comfort to the best of her ability.

When this patron arrived, she'd still be busy making some minor final preparations.

Hopefully Aloe could handle reception. She was good at that. 

All the department had decided it was official: Flow needed a break. They told her it had been because she was working too hard (which was partially true), but in all actuality, it was the department that needed a break, not Flow. Her constant drama had begun to drag on her squad, and so they had politely suggested she take some time off to clear her head. Which was why she was now in Ponyville, home of one of the highest-rated spas in the country. She'd never had spa treatment before, but all of her friends had talked fondly of it, so she thought Why not give it a try? Of course, she had never asked what a spa was... She figured she could learn that when she got there.

Which was now. She looked at the doors and took a deep breath before entering. Immediately she felt out of place. Everything here was so... Clean. She looked over her shoulder to see some bits of ash and soot still floating around inside of her from the last fire she had doused. Now she was embarassed she hadn't washed more thoroughly before coming! Well, no turning back now.

She walked to the front desk leaving wet hoofprints behind her. "Hi there! My name's Flow. I have an appointment? I'm a little early, though..." She knew she was probably getting stares from some of the other creatures in the waiting room (she always did, even in her home city), but tried not to think too hard about it. 

• Like 2

JpMTmq0.png

Today was going to be a most interesting day indeed for the spa owner. When Aloe heard that a kelpie had booked a reservation in her spa well... honestly, at this point very little ended up surprising her anymore. After all, a mere six months or so ago Aloe was single, and now she was a mother of at least one. She was hoping the other eggs would be coming out soon to give the actual foal space to grow, but she was sure that things would work out. Right now though, her focus was on the eventual customer. Rose had told her all about her, or at least what she knew of the creatures, and added that this particular varient of kelpie was actually made of water. She was actually starting to second guess the idea a bit after hearing that tidbit because she had no idea how to safe any of their treatments would be for the mare. Still, she wasn't a pony to back down on a challenge, and the customer would let her know if there's an ingredient or procedure would pose a danger to her right? This would be a learning experience for sure.

She was snapped out of her thoughts though, when she heard the mare, or rather, kelpie in question speak up. She introduced herself as Flow, and said that she was here for her appointment, albeit a bit early. "Oh, it is perfectly fine! Most of our customers usually arrive a bit early. We have everything all set up and ready for you. That being said, I have never worked with a Kelpie before. So before we get started, I need to know if there is anything in our soaks that could be a problem. I would hate for you to get sick or something from lack of foresight on our part. I want to make sure you have the best, most relaxing visit possible," Aloe replied to the Kelpie with a smile.

• Like 1

As if sensing their arrival by magic- which, she did- A slightly taller unicorn mare showed up through the passage leading into the rest of the spa. Despite having been working since she heard about the kelpie's appointment, she looked none the worse for wear. That's not to say she wasn't still a workaholic that would work herself into the ground... But love changes many things, including harmful habits.

"Oh, hello! Welcome to our spa ~" she gestured towards the pink pony, then herself. "This is Aloe, and I'm Rose Compass." Magicking up a pair of spectacles, she squinted at the pony inquisitively. "Quick question- on top of hers, naturally- but is the composition of your body made up entirely of water, or some substance of similar makeup?" 

Oooh, as soon as she gets the chance, she's getting a sample. If she's what she appears to be, this may be the key to creating a new regenerative serum of hers. 

• 3 weeks later...

Flow had never been questioned about her allergies before. She didn't have any as far as she knew. She was having a hard time visualizing a "soak" though... She soaked fires, and she knew her friends sometimes soaked their hooves, but she had never done it before. After all, she was literally made of water. Why would she soak? The more she thought about it, the more she realized she probably should have asked her friends what a spa was before agreeing to go to one...

The second pony to enter asked a question she was quite familiar with (or at least a version of it). It seemed like the only thing ponies wanted to know about her (and kelpies in general, for that matter) was if she was really made out of water. Nevertheless, it was always a perfectly reasonable question, and she never let her annoyance show. "Pleased to meet you both. I don't think I have any allergies. And yes, I am made out of water. It can be a blessing and a curse at times. It's nice to be able to flow like liquid, but it also means we have a tendency to evaporate if we stay out too long without a drink hahaha" she said. She offered each of them a hoof as she introduced herself, and watched their faces as she interacted with them physically for the first time. To most ponies, the experience of touching a living being made of water was... unusual at first, and a little difficult to get used to.

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe listened and nodded as the Kelpie explained that she was in fact made out of water, and that she didn't have any kind of allergies that she knew of. That was great! Though the evaporating part didn't sound like it was that much fun, but between the soaks that shouldn't be a problem. Ride seemed to be eyeing get as well. Knowing her, she was probably wanting to get a sample of hey body water to see if it was different and could be used for things. "Well, here at the Ponyville Day Spa, I can personally guarantee that you won't evaporate, and if at any point you feel a bit parched we'd be happy to get you something to drink. That said, I am kinda excited to see how vibrant you glow after our soaks. Usually they are designed to enhance coats, so I have no idea what will happen," Aloe smiled. "Oh... And I'm also not sure if the steam room would be a good idea. The entire point of that room is to well... Make water into stream," Aloe added. "If you'll follow me, we can begin."

Rose nodded along excitedly. She didn't really react any differently than if she'd met a regular hoof when greeting her- she'd seen far odder things- do there was that.

"Yes, right this way!" Oh, this was going to be such an educational experience. "Oh, would you like something that will help you stay a little more... Sure of shape?" Subtly, barely more than a flick of light, she'd scan the strange being to get a better idea of her composition. It shouldn't be too hard to allow her to keep her shape in bodies of water or... Mud. Like a watery layer of skin. 

Flow listened as Aloe reassured her that she would not evaporate, but recommended staying away from the steam room. That seemed like a good idea. Though Flow didn't hate being steam, it wasn't her favorite state. Liquid just felt overall like an easier state to exist in.

As she followed, Rose offered her something for her shape. Flow didn't exactly know what she meant by that. She was pretty sure of her shape already... Unless the pony was suggesting she turn into ice? Would being solid make her easier to work with? "What do you mean?" she asked the pony.

Rose paused and raised a hoof, summoning a sphere of regular water that hovered just above it. Her horn flashed, and the sphere took on a greenish glow for a couple seconds before returning to austerity. When she dropped it onto her hoof, it retained a perfectly spherical shape, albeit warming like a ball as it rolled around.

"It's a spell that'll prevent you from being assimilated by liquids, or evaporate. It's temporary, though, and you may find it an unusual experience."

• 2 weeks later...

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe became a bit hesitant when the kelpie asked what Rose meant about maintaining her shape and not being assimilated by the rest of the water and fluids around her. It would make sense that he wouldn't need that, but at the same time, this was their first interaction with a creature like this. Neither her nor Rose knew what to expect. "That is of course, if something like that is even needed at all. I apologize if the question was out of place or hit something that was sensative. Not only have we never worked with Kelpie before, you're also the very first one I've ever seen, so if we say something wrong, please let us know. We do not mean to create offense or discomfort in any way, and know that if we do say anything off-putting it is not with ill intent," Aloe said, covering the business end of the interaction. "That being said, what would you like to do for your first treatment?"

• 2 weeks later...

Flow laughed a little. "Oh don't worry, you didn't say anything offensive! I'm not too easy to offend anyway! Truth be told, I've never actually been to a spa, either, so it sounds like this is a first for both of us! If you think the spell is a good idea, then I'd better take it. As far as where to start, I have no clue. Like I said, I've never done this before. Where do customers usually start?" 

Given the proverbial green light (even if Aloe didn't quite seem to approve of her expirementing on her customers) Rose perked up and ignited her horn.

As she did so, she'd wave her hoof in a vague gesture as she lead the kelpie into the spa proper. "My first experience was with the mud bath. It can be a strange experience, especially given the texture and name, but the minerals in the mud help to moisturize the skin."

She paused, the kelpie already halfway through fading the green light when a thought came to her. She rounded on the kelpie, really getting a good look at her. "Right... Moisturizing... I suppose that wouldn't be on the top of your priorities."