The Mayor is In (Open)

Blueblood

spoiled.png.79a5adac26b4aa2af55d6279984da003.png

Ponyville had begun to bustle with increased energy and commerce over the past couple of years; you really couldn't call it a sleepy little country town anymore.  Not only did all the crazy things that occasionally happened keep one up on their hooftips, a small but living night life had begun to spring up around the coffee shops and bars.  It said something that multiple of each could be supported, rather than a single one populated by whoever's cutie mark happened to be closest.  Spoiled Rich could remember those days, not so very long ago, where a mare with ambitions for her family could only hope to forge connections to other places, the nearby Canterlot especially.

But, as it turned out, thing changed rapidly.  Now, Ponyville was a town on the rise, and ambition had much, much more to gain by getting on the ground floor with a rising elevator!  Hence, Spoiled mayoral run, and eventual success.  Commerce and society were going to play a large part in the town's future, and a pony who knew both would be perfect for the job!

Still, things hadn't changed all that much.  Though larger, Ponyville still held tight to a small town lifestyle, which meant a Mayor that kept open office hours, for Ponies to come in with petitions, suggestions, complaints, and the like.  A little tiresome, but a tradition from her friend and predecessor she was loath to discard.  Like it or not, it really was the best way to keep tabs on how things were going.  And really, if Royalty still held court, so should she!

The door was propped open, the tea was streaming in the pot, and the desk was temporarily cleared.  Mayor Rich was ready for the public!

(OOC: The Mayor will be seeing one petitioner/group at a time, sign up in this thread -https://www.canterlot.com/topic/25009-the-mayors-open-office-hours-sign-up/ )

• Like 2

Niilavin had a hard time telling if all the buildings in this town were just built smaller or he was growing. Whatever it was he found navigating the hallways bothersome as he had to almost crawl along as if trying to stalk some food. The doors were even worse, why did they make them so small? It was good he was as flexible as he was otherwise he’d have to tell Blue about a new doorway he broke. Speaking of doorways he was approaching the one he was seeking. After the short meeting they had at the wedding he was somewhat smitten by Rich. She gave him hope for this town and a feeling of order, strength and power. It was a shame she was just a pony, her soul was befitting something far more deserving of power. But she was what she was and he was going too enjoy the proper moment to speak with her. 

Stopping at the door frame he poked his head inside, then followed the rest of his body as he squeezed himself past the frame with a less than happy snort at the snugness of this one. He’d have to change this some day, ponies need to remember the size of their betters. “Mayer Rich, so nice to meet you again with less pressing matters at paw. I hope this day is full of Awt-ib’ Awt Dt.” The last words were spoken in the language of his past, he liked to toss them in some times. The ponies seemed to enjoy it when he did, made him seem more mystic or some noneses. Approaching her desk in his law walk he laid himself down on the floor in front of her desk and eyed up the tea pot. “May I?”

Spoiled rich started a bit at the big cat's entrance, but upon recognizing Niilavin, she relaxed.  They had only met once before, and that briefly, but she had found his attitude sufficiently refreshing and in tune with her own to overcome any lingering prejudices or fears that an herbivore might feel around a rather larger carnivore.  Honestly, she welcomed a conversaiton with him rather more than a prospective one with his 'master'; she always felt that the Prince did not really take her seriously, despite her best efforts.  Perhaps a good conversation here could serve to convince House Platinum otherwise.

"Oh, Good morning!  It is nice to see you again.  I do hope the accommodations are not too cramped, but duty forbids me to leave the office during these hours."  She nodded at the tea kettle.  "Do help yourself, I shall just make another pot."  Scooting her desk around to give him a little more room, she gave a small smile up to him.  "And just what brings you here today, Mr. Niilavin?"

• Hearthoof 1

“The accommodations will just have to makedo for now, but I fear in some years time we may have to speak at such times from the windows.” He said with a purring smile before he reached out for the tea pot and picked it up with two digits. Leaning it over to a cup he pours out some so Rich may have some to drink. With her cup topped off he took the lead off the kettle and tipped it back to take a sip as if it was a cup. “Mm, thank you. As for what brings me here… Two things. First to congratulate you more properly. This… Vote happened just as my master moved me here as you know. So I can not speak much about the past leadership but in the short time I have known you… Well, you left a good first pass on this kitty if I may say. So I give you my best wishes and hope to see some real order given to this town, something it needs so badly.” He waved a paw too add impact on his less than happy take on the chaos that was this town. 

He took another sip of the tea. “As for the other half, to just speak with less rush and get to know the town leader more And maybe offer help. You struck something in me, something about you… Well, it makes me think of my mother if I may. The power, strength of will and the fire in the eyes. For a pony you have a soul that glows with all the power of something so much more. You give me hope for this town what it may be. It’s no Magna Tizca but I’d be honored to offer my power in times of need… Master willing.” He taped the golden band around his neck at the last remark as he wondered if detailing his gut feeling was a wise move. The social customs of this age were still strange to him and he’s yet to work out all the tiny details. “But I think he will be fine with such things, he’s eager to see me make friends.”

In some years time-?  *Dear Celestia, they get bigger?*  Spoiled could scarce imagine a sphinx bearing more impressive size than Niilavin displayed here, but it seemed that the boy was still growing.  "We'll just have to set up outdoor appointments, I suppose, in that case."  She briefly sipped at her own beverage, watching Niil sip at the kettle.  How did the Prince keep him fed?  She didn't envy Blueblood his task.  "Well, your best wishes are certainly welcome!  While I was certainly voted in, I can't say everypony in this town was so happy to see me here.  Well, nuts to them, if you'll pardon my language.  Things need to get done, and there  was only one mare in the field willing, ready, and able to do them!  Not that bringing order to this town will prove any less a task than damning the Neighagra, but there's a hydroelectric plant there today, so there!"  She gave a brief, confident nod, taking another sip of tea.  Spoiled was not a mare to let criticism or daunting social tasks bend her will.

Flattery, though, flattery could bend her in a knot. "Oh... Well, I can't say I ever knew your mother, but I can tell that is high praise indeed."  She blushed, smiling.  She had always thought of herself as meant for something more than the milk-pony's daughter, ever since she left the dairy farm to marry the richest suitor she could find.  Ambition still shone in those jade eyes, tempered but not dimmed by the passing years.  "You offer of help is appreciated as well; I just wish I had something off the top of my head you could do that was more than just... menial, beast of burden labor.  If you don't mind me saying so, you have a regal air about you that, well, exceeds near anypony I have ever met in person."  She paused, before a thought occurred.  "Ah, but perhaps just keep that sentiment away from your 'master', hm?  Just a little secret, but I can't help if you look more a future king than he."

• Hearthoof 1

“All things can, in time, be pulled too order as order is the truth of life. Just sometimes that truth is lost underneath the draw of chaos. But in time even this town will grow sick and seek true harmary in order.” Niilavin says looking out a window, he trusted this mare to side with his words here so he did not try to hide his feelings. “I trust you can set them on that path sooner than later, even if they cry and fuss they will see the peace in ture order. Much as I have heard the cries of some, I have heard the whispers of hope from others. It's… much like us. Some cities wanted one like us. A sphinx. Some called us tyrants others praised the order and safety we delivered…” He trailed off, eyes moving from the window back to the mare as a soft smile pulled his lips up. 

“Yes, it is praise. In another life you must have been one of us, if you believe in such things.” He added with a purring tone before siping down the last of the tea in the kettle. He felt guilty to drink it all in three sips but it was just not made for a sphinx. Putting it down he let her words play in his head, her remark of praise and more… Calling him fit to be a future king. That sent a shiver down his spine. She knew the truth! She saw past the golden bands marking him as slave, saw past his lot in life and knew he was so much more. It made his ego flair up as a purr left his lips as he let her praise sink in. He liked this mare more and more. The way she talked and the way she acted…

“If we are sharing secrets… You'd look every part a sphinxess.” He said back to her as he folded his front paws on top of each other, then rested his head on them as he watched her. “Thank you for your kind words, they do my heart such favors. Being bound as I am, alone and… Maybe the last. It fills me with hope to know at least one pony can see past my golden bounds and see the king underneath. You have my thanks Ms Rich, I stand by my word. Even if the work is menial I will happily offer my paws in such a task to help you, help this town. For it rewards us both as we dream the same.”

To be perfectly honest, Spoiled Rich did not have any real familiarity with the cultural heritage of sphinxes.  Or any non-pony kind, for that matter.  It had not until recently been a drawback in her position, and some days, she rather resented being forced to learn.  But with Niilaavin, she felt comfortable in exploring the matter, even more so then others in town might have been.  The idea that some would be born to rule, and would whatever the masses said was something she herself had felt for a long time.  Democracy was just a ceremony to confirm what anypony would know from looking.  Why, the previous Mayor had been named Mayor Mare!
"That's fascinating.  I can't say if you're right about me being one of you in a previous life... but I must say, I rather like the idea.  In any case, if that is so, I shan't let this part of my heritage down, for sure."  She nodded towards the window.  "I trust you have seen the construction of the stadium over the road?  There are several such projects we are pushing through, and if you don't mind a little labor for the sake of monumental achievement, we could always use the extra hooves.  Or paws, as the case may be."

The ways they were getting on made her feel rather more comfortable with being herself than any where else outside her own home.  Perhaps even more than that, lately...  She shook her head.  Best not to let thoughts go too far down that road.  "I should like to think so.  I do take care not to let time wear on my appearance, and I think my efforts are not in vain."  That they were not, gym attendance, diet, and the best health and beauty products money could buy would win a solid several decades more for the robust appearance of an earth pony.  "But there are things that time and accessories cannot hide, rest assured."  She wasn't sure what to say about his lonely situation, though.  Being the last, and alone... well.  She was enough of a regular pony to dread some such fate more than most others.  "I do hope you are blessed with a family soon, though.  For all the trouble that comes with them, there is little in this life worth more."

• Hearthoof 1

Glancing out the window Niilavin eyed up the construction down the road, almost out of view. “A stadium?” He remarked, thinking of the one his old master had for a moment. He knew it was not the same yet it came to him before some sporty around a ball did. Not that the ball sport lacked skill, or so he’s been told. Can make good bits with a well trained team even he’s been told… Something too think about now they have a stadium for such dules. Well, they will have one. “Hrm, yes I think I can. Have seen some of the work they have done. I can help move some of the larger beams for them, my strength will see such work go smoothly.” He says back, looking back down at the mare. 

Her remarks on appearance just got him to do a purring chuckle. “Forgive if what I say sounds out of place, the cultural deference and way of speaking makes it… hard to judge if my words are out of line. But you…” He waved a paw, searching for the words. “Your appearance, if you were one of us, will have made others like me duele just to convince you to move to my land.” He says with a smile at her. He knew better to bluntly call on her looks as desirable, even in a pony herd that can invite conflict with the head of it. But he’d not go without at least hinting at such things. Moving on he shaked his head gently, trying to not think too deeply on the sad state of his race. “By the clan mother of us all, I hope to see kittens of my own blood someday. That is the truth. I’d trade countless miles of land to just see one litter added to this world.”

Despite calumnies, Mayor Rich did indeed come to the office with scruples and a conscience; having a completely unproductive meeting during business hours would have violated both.  But Niilaavin's agreement to assist with and speed up construction satisfied both of them, letting her relax back into the atmosphere of mutual appreciation over tea.  "Lovely, with your help I've no doubt we can complete it ahead of schedule.  The more seasons of competition we host, the better off the town will be.  Have you any favorite sports yourself?  I've been thinking of having my husband franchise a team himself, and, if you don't mind me saying so, Sphinxes would make a fantastic mascot!"  She beamed, before muttering into her teacup, "Much better than Apples, I mean really..."

The next batch of compliments very nearly caused Spoiled to sputter in her hot beverage, which would have been very painful.  Thankfully, she had developed more control than that, but her blush was obvious this time.  "Goodness, is that so?"  She could barely keep herself from giggling like a filly.  "You know, it's not common for mares to be fought over.  Stallions are rarer on average, and so often feel that they have the pick of the lot.  It's we mares that often find ourselves fighting over them.  Those of us that don't just go for other mares, not that there's anything wrong with that."  Certainly made snagging her husband slightly easier, with a couple taking themselves out of competition.

Hearing him mourn the unlikelihood of kittens moved her heart, though, it really did.  "If there is anything this town can do to assist you in that respect, Niilaavin, please do not hesitate to ask."  It was only fair, him having offered assistance, that she offer it in turn.

• Like 1
  • Apple 1
  • Hearthoof 1

“How I wish it was so easy.” Nil says as she asked if there was some way to help him with the kittin matter. How he wished it was so easy as to ask some mayor for help. “Best you can do is pass on whatever rummers you may hear or books that speak of the past regarding us. I’m still trying to understand what befell us. I have found some rummers speaking of others in far off places. But that is not much to work with… Well…” He did think for a moment. “Have been reading in other ways. If you know some pony skilled in transmogrification they may be of some help, maye.” With that he shaked his head. He found it easy to speak with her, just the way she spoke and acted… It made him relax and open up in ways he was not used to. It was a perplexing feeling and one he may have to follow later. For now, they had work too do. 

“Favorite sport? Hard to say in this age but in the past it was chariot racing. The best of this was the races at Magna Tizca. Two pullers, one driver that was a combatant as well. They all had long spears to harass each other when they got close. It was a fine line one must walke, focus on driving his pullers or focus on aiming his spear and pushing back the other teams on his flank. If I had the coin, and will some day, I shall bring it back. Some changes will have to be made but I know in my heart the races can live on. As for this day and age…” He taps a claw on his chin thinking. “I know buck ball is all the rage but it never clicked with me. The one I found the most joy in is the pegasus ring ball. Watching the airborne teams battling it out too give a teammate the clear shot for the ball is well worth the fuss of buying the six or more seats needed for one of my size.” He says with a nod. “As for the use of sphinxes in marketing… As long as they look regal, strong and not used in a jokeing way. We are leaders, not jesters."

He looked back at the windows, thinking for a moment. He did enjoy speaking with this mare a lot. More so than just some leader to be in good contact with. Maybe the sparks of friendship were here... Looking back at her he spoke up again. “I hope this is not taken the wrong way, but you are a charming mare and the stallion that claimed you must be blessed by the clan mother to have such a mare in his life. I know this town is in good hooves now, that is a fact. Well I leave from wasting more of your day, busy as it must be, I hope we can partake in more relaxed talks later this week? I have enjoyed chatting deeply and wish to engage in parlay once again when you are not burdened with work.” With that he held out a paw well he looked at her with a charmed smile, ready for her hoof to be presented. 

• Like 2

Transmogrification?  Well, there were mendicant zebras that came into town from time to time, peddling all sorts of things.  Perhaps she could bring it up in the chamber of commerce, though having something like a permanent alchemy lab within town limits would likely plunge property values.  Ponies just didn't like living next to an explosion risk, no matter how safe the alchemist assured them it was.  *On the other hoof, this Ponyville.  I'm sure one more crazy cottager on the fringe of the Everfree isn't going to add more chaos than is already present.  It just won't help make the chaos any less.*  Such were the dilemmas of rule.  "I will keep in touch in that regard, all sorts pass through this town, you never know what might turn up."

Spoiled had to admit, she could see why chariot racing had fallen through the historical cracks; bloodsports were just not a part of current Equestrian culture.  Except for certain pegasi.  She hadn't planned to open up the stadium to more violent sports, but she supposed, as a favor for a prospective friend, she could see the way to allowing Ring Ball and Rugby.  "I would certainly never dream of misrepresenting you, though I may have to consult you on the design, if you don't mind accepting another invitation."
And it seemed that he would not!  My, this one was a charmer.  Presenting her hoof, she smiled up at the Sphinx.  "Yes, this was most certainly a highlight of today.  Do feel free to pay a call at the Manor for a more leisured visit, Mr. Niilaavin."  Touching with a gesture, she nodded as Niil extricated himself.

"Next!"  She called out, once she settled back into her seat.

• Like 1
  • Hearthoof 1

As she placed her hoof on his out reached paw Niilavin leans in and gives it a small kiss. Well, small in manners less so in physical size. “I’d be most charmed to help with the design, do not hesitate to ask me to swing by again too discuss such things. And thank you for keeping some ears and eyes out for one that may be of use to me as well.” He purred, releasing her hoof he spoke some more. “And I will be most pleased to visit your manor Ms’ Rich, you made this day all the better with your smile and charm. Until we meet again, be well nefer-hemet.” 

With that he bowed his head to her, a gesture he did not pass out often before turning away and departing… After wiggling his way out of the doorway. This meeting was far better than he hoped it was going too be and he left it with far more plans than he had going in! Maybe he’d make some proper friends in this town after all.

[Niilavin is out!]

Bracelets would be the first to admit she had never imagined her career taking her to Ponyville of all places. She was Manehattan, bred and raised through and through, and she wore the famous blue on blue of that city's force proudly her whole life. She had imagined spending her whole career in that city, retiring at a full age with a chest of medals as the city's police chief. Her foals, officers themselves no doubt by that stage, would carry on the family legacy for untold generations. She had it all mapped out! Alas, it was not to be. Not yet. All it took was two too many arrests, the number needed for her to exceed a whole precinct. Took one too many stories of her bravery and courage to appear in the papers, overshadowing the current chief's twentieth anniversary. One too many times when she went above and beyond the call of duty and solved a case that somepony else had been slow-rolling. All it took was for her to be too good and too committed. All it took, according to her boss, was for her to make everypony else look bad for him to submit her to the national law pony center as a candidate for ANY OPENINGS for jobs outside of The Strand.

Bracelets didn't like that. She hated it, even. But she knew that ponies everywhere deserved effective and friendly allies to keep them safe and if Manehattan didn't want her now, it'd need her later and she needed to keep sharp. Mustangia, perhaps? Rangy ponies that moved fast, had an interesting culture to boot. Appleloosa? Full of outlaws (or so the paper said) and a law establishment that had the nation's most famous Sherriff? Any one of the northern cities with their plentiful intrigues? The offers rolled in. She had the pick of the litter, not even including the national agencies that lined up their own offers for her.

Yet here she was. Ponyville. They didn't even have any form of peace establishment in this town. And why would they have needed it? Everypony knew that Ponyville was home to real Equestrian heroines and had one of the lowest crime rates in the nation...and the nation already had low crime rates, really. So why was she here? She wasn't sure even she knew, but she had some arguments she wanted to make and she had the pony she needed to make them to.

Spoiled Rich, Mayor of Ponyville. Wife of Filthy Rich, business stallion, Heartland staple. Wealthy and literate family with a reputation for being good ponyfolk of Heartland breeding. Elected to the position of Mayor of the growing town that was going to need some form of effective law enforcement sooner or later. It was a town on the upswing and one she would be...well, not happy to call it home per se, but she would be proud to work here. She came prepared. Her personal file and resume, looked as fit and ready as she could, and waited her turn silently. She knew it was her turn only after the Mayor called her in- and a Sphinx of all creatures found its way out of the Mayor's office. Bracelets maintained a professional if cheery exterior and tipped her balled cap to the creature before standing up and entering.

"Ma'am. Pleasure to meet you, Mayor Rich. Officer Bracelets, formerly of the Manehattan Police Department, hea' to speak to you about this town's law enforcement developments?" She asked hopefully, still standing until she was told to sit, her Manehattanite accent kept to a minimum as best she could. She knew this town was looking to form a department of some kind and while she didn't know who was being tapped to lead it, she knew she wanted to be a part of it.

• Like 1

Well!  That had been an exceptionally pleasant first meeting.  Quite encouraging, filling Spoiled Rich with confidence and energy to face the rest of the day!  Perhaps this was the magic of friendship Twilight kept on nattering about all the time?  Definitely something to take more seriously in the future.
But, mare of the world as she was, she well knew that not all problems could be solved in less than half an hour by good intentions and hugs.  Sometimes, a tougher approach was needed, and next on her appointment list was a mare who embodied this lesson.  Bracelets was, frankly, the kind of officer that Spoiled couldn't picture any precinct willing to give up.  But, the MPD had made it known that their star performer was up for hiring, and she had been quick to put in her offer.

"Ah, Miss Bracelets, thank you for being willing to come down here.  Do take a seat, and we'll get right to business."  She cleared off the sideboard to put the kettle back on.  "Tea?  Or do you prefer coffee?"  Beverage preference settled, she would turn back as the water was boiling, looking the eager officer in the eye.  "As you know, we currently are setting up our own law enforcement office, as previously Ponyville didn't have enough activity to justify one.  But, with the growth of this town, it would be wise to begin now before things get out of hoof.  I am not going to be the Mayor that sees a rise in crime rates and a drop in safety for the citizens under her tenure.  Well, the most important part of an organization's lifespan is getting the founding right, and I'm not the sort of mare to settle for anything less than the best.  And you, my dear, do seem to fit the bill."

Watching Bracelets carefully for her reaction, Spoiled Rich laid it out.  "At the moment, we cannot provide you with more than a position as full time sheriff, along with one deputy of your choice.  As the town grows, so will the force under your guidance.  The organizational details, though they will require approval, will largely lay within your hooves.  As I understand, it was a matter of... administrative difficulties and cross-purposes that dislodged you from your prior position.  I should rather not see such happen in my town, so I think that a little effort to prevent them from the start will pay large dividends.  Larger, unfortunately, than the pay I can offer you in the budget at present.  However, I believe the you will find the cost of living in this town to be rather lower than in the Strand."

• Like 2

"Coffee would be delightful, ma'am. Thank you," Bracelets responded quickly, happy to be offered something. Truth be told she had been so caught up trying to make sure she had all her griffons in a row that she hadn't really had time to eat or drink. She took her coffee and sipped it greedily. She wouldn't make fun of Heartlanders and their bad coffee. She would just remind herself to order a large supply of the good stuff from Manehattan.

-But, with the growth of this town, it would be wise to begin now before things get out of hoof.  I am not going to be the Mayor that sees a rise in crime rates and a drop in safety for the citizens under her tenure. -

"Agreed. It is better to be vigilant before problems arise rather than after. You don't need a heavy hoowved approach but the criminal element, especially mafioso types, they love up and coming cities with nothin' to their name but well wishes and smiles. 'Lows them to get their oiled up hoowves into businesses," Bracelets responded, affirming the Mayor's desire to develop the capabilities of the town. It wasn't untrue. Wherever bits could be made you would find somepony willing to turn to crime that much more. 

-Well, the most important part of an organization's lifespan is getting the founding right, and I'm not the sort of mare to settle for anything less than the best.  And you, my dear, do seem to fit the bill.-

She kept her face even enough as the Mayor praised her. It would be too much of an act if she didn't look at least a little happy with it though, so she allowed herself a slight crease and a nod of acknowledgement. She knew she was good. She knew she was the best. That was a truth all should know. But she knew just as well that yesterday's perfection is tomorrow's failure. You always had to improve. She would have to improve. And, Twilight willing, she would help this town improve.

-At the moment, we cannot provide you with more than a position as full time sheriff, along with one deputy of your choice...-

Sheriff? Her? It didn't sparkle like Chief or Commissioner and she wasn't sure she was suited to run it. But then again, it was only her and one other deputy. That would be easy enough. The budget wasn't overwhelming either. She kept a twinge of anger out of her face as best as possible when the reasons for her departure from the MPD were brought up. She was still upset about it and frankly she felt all the right in the world to be upset, but that was the past and this was the future, and she was determined to make it a great one. "Payroll has never been my mane motivator, Mayor Rich, so I'm sure I'll find it meets my...simple needs. And I figure for now wone deputy will be enough. Would that include somepony to do office work? Running the city's law enforcement strategy by the Mayor would be standard practice anyway. Peace Officers work with the city and its ponies, Mayor Rich, and never against. In other words, I'd be honored to be named this town's Sheriff."

Mayor Rich had to admit, so far this Miss Bracelets was doing quite well in the interview.  Her views accorded to Spoil's own in the sense of getting a leg up on the problem, and she took her compliments with a serious but sincere acknowledgment.  No towering hubris, no false modesty.  This boded well indeed!  "I regret to say that you shall have to do your own paperwork at first.  We'll have to see about allowing for secretarial assistance in the next budget, but I rather thought more general personnel would be more useful to you at present.  On that note,"  She paused to take a sip, "While I don't want you to over-rely on this resource, you will be able to count on the cooperation of any of the guards of the resident royals, as long as they are in town.  All civic law matters are of course in your jurisdiction and you will have priority over cases in town limits."

Well, that took care of most of the organizational matters.  Just one last little thing to discuss... "I am sure you are aware of the reputation this town has accrued?  You may be called in many situations to restore order generally rather than prosecute crime specifically.  Monster attacks, magical anomalies, panics over nothing... While you won't be the only pony handling such, you will have to show a calming presence in all these circumstances.  And do your best to limit damage to ponies and property."

• Like 1

Yeah, the royal guard. They had a detachment in Manehattan too. Usually they were there only if the police found something of interest to the crown or during large events, royal vists and the such. A small town like this wouldn't normally require it but- well, that Blue fella or miss (she didn't pay attention to the gossip columns all that much) was here and it was home to the Castle of Friendship. A valuable resource. "We'll do what we can to make sure this town stands on its own fou' hooves but I won't say no to some goowd royal aid when needed. And only when needed," she nooded in agreement with the unspoken desire from the Mayor. She had experience working with the Royal Guard and they were fine stallions and mares to have around, but jurisdiction needed to be established quickly. 

When it came to the topic of the more unusual activities that sometimes happened in this town, Bracelets couldn't help but smile. Honestly, that was one of the more exciting prospects of this job. Manehattan had a lot of its own strange baggage but monster attacks didn't happen with anywhere near the regularity it happened in Ponyville.

"I am well aware, Mayor Rich. Crisis response is an important part of our role. Rest assured, whether we need to control the situation, move the citizens to a secure lowcation, or just project calm, we can do it. The ponies of this town will be safe, you have my word on that," she responded positively. There was truth to the idea that sometimes all the police could do was ensure that ponies were kept safe from events beyond their control. Luckily, they had not only the Royal Guard but honest to goodness heroines to boot. Together they would all make sure the town remained safe and proper.

Mayor Rich was willing to call it now, Bracelets would be an excellent choice for Sherriff and founder of the PPD.  "Excellent, excellent.  Well, I understand mine is not the only offer you are currently entertaining, but if you are willing to accept, we have an office ready and waiting for you to move in.  Not much more besides that than a couple of holding cells, though space can be expanded if necessary, and in any case the Palace Dungeons can be used in an emergency.  Though, of course, we hope that no such necessity shall ever present itself, of course!"  Thing is, you could never be sure.  Spoiled Rich was never a mare to be made a victim of unfounded optimism in Equine Nature!

• Like 2

Bracelets nodded in understanding. Truth was, she did have a lot of other offers, from REIN to the Royal Guard to various other agencies and police departments. But the appeal of Ponyville was bright indeed. "It has been a very pleasant meeting, Mayor Rich, and even more pleasant meeting you. I am very intrigued by this offer. Being Ponyville's Sheriff is certainly the top offer I've had so far," she said with only a little bit of a lie leaking out. She was sure that being immediately hired and promoted to Lieutenant in the Investigations and Safeguarding Department of the Royal Guard was the best offer overall, but that came with a lot less freedom. She wasn't a loose canon, a rule follower by nature, but she would rather act than plan and act in moments of crisis. "However, I should still at least take the interviews I have scheduled. It would be rude for me to cancel them after I gave them my word. Having said that, it would take one whale of an offer to make me change my mind. Expect to hear from me within the week, Ma'am," she said as she got up and shook the Mayor's hoof. "Have a great day," Bracelets finished as she got up and left the office, excited to see what came next...and even more excited to just return to Ponyville and become a Sheriff. Talk about a glow-up!

• Like 1

The moment Bracelets left, Rose Compass would appear, popping into existence without fanfare. She didn't want to come in at the wrong time, after all.

"Mayor," she inclined her head, although her tone was a little more business than casual as she took a seat. She looked behind her, then adopted a grin, amused about some thing she failed to explain. "I see our Ponyville family grows. I should give her a gift when she comes back." Because she was fairly certain she was coming back. 

With a chuckle, she put that out of her mind and directed her full attention towards the mare, a cordial smile on her lips. "How are you, Mayor Rich?" 

Unlike usual, she was without her alchemical saddlebags- naked, except for a single new accessory hung around her neck. It was an astrolabe, supported to a thin white string. 

All things considered, Spoiled was fairly confident Bracelets would be returning to accept her offer.  If she knew anything about normal civic bureaucracy, it was that the very reasons for her dismissal, which made her so attractive to Spoiled Rich, might well prove a detriment in the eyes of any Police Chief.  But as Ponyville didn't currently have them...  "And good day to you.  Next!"

'Next' proved to be another newcomer, a recently registered resident named Rose.  An... alchemist, it seemed.  Hm, rather ironic considered that Mayor Rich had just congratulated herself on precluding the presence of exploding laboratories within town limits.  Not that she would deny professional expertise and safety precautions to Rose, but... being professional did not preclude costly mistakes.  Fortunately, no such paraphernalia was brought into her office today!
"I am well, miss... Rose, was it?  To what do I owe your visit today?"

• Like 1

She nodded. "Rose Compass, and I've come today to inquire about Ponyville's medical facilities, and the general health of the populace. While my original goals with alchemy may be... infeasible at the given moment, I still possess knowledge and expertise I beleive will be greatly beneficial to the health of Ponyville's denizens." 

And, in time she hoped, the rest of Equestria and beyond. She'd finally completed a functioning regeneration potion through trial and error with hydra blood and some exotic flora. Health potions were something she'd long ago mastered, as well. While, in practice, her methods may seem archaic- it was no less effective.

Ah, Public Health!  Always good to see new citizens take interest in serious civic subjects.  She didn't even begrudge her former opponent in the mayoral race, since he was quite good at handling incursions of Everfree Wildlife, and had graciously accepted her offer to continue his services in an official capacity.  "Well, I should say that Ponyville as a town has a better than average situation with regards to endemic health.  No real disease outbreaks beyond the norm, and a high average of well-fed and fit citizens.  As for facilities, Ponyville Hospital is one of the finest establishments of its kind in the country; I understand much of its funding derives from the fact that it takes overflow patients from Canterlot, and allows them to convalesce in a more soothing country environment, rather than in the urban bustle.  Have you discussed anything with our resident health officials?  I understand that Nurse Redheart is particularly well thought of."

• Like 1

"I have not, actually." Ross hadn't even thought to converse with a nurse. They typically lack the requisite influence to introduce proper changes to a population. "Although I shall take this 'Redheart' into future consideration. Currently, my goals range within life extension and enhancement of the immune system."

"In the past, I've found I have quite the affinity for..." She appraised the mare before her, noting her rather advanced age. "Vitality."

Subtly, barely more than a flicker of light, she cast a spell to scan the mare and get a general understanding of her overall health.

Spoiled Rich recognized that look, she'd seen it in the mirror often enough.  The 'That pony can't possibly be important enough to be worth my time.'  She knew that attitude well, and it worked in the aristocratic circles she aspired to.  But in the case of an election?  Every vote was equal to every other, and social status did not matter as much as one's social network.  She could only imagine that held the same in knowledge-based tasks.  "Well, I should definitely think it worth your time.  She's met all the patients at the hospital, and several of them are quite important ponies in their own right."

Now, hearing her specialties.... she found herself to be quite interested.  "Indeed?  I have something of an amateur interest in such things."  An extremely subtle way of alluding to her age.  And indeed, Rose's spell would reveal that Spoiled was a mare who took very good care of herself.