Teaching Finer things (Aiside)

IceStorm

JpMTmq0.png

Aloe was a bit surprised when she heard Rose approach her and asked her about Hearth's Warming and wanting to learn everything there was to know about it. At the same time though, she realized something when she did. This was likely the first time that Rose had ever experienced the holiday and cared to learn anything about it. She wasn't sure of the holiday extended back to any  of the past lives that she spoke of. She knew that she had a love before after she told her everything about that. She was pretty sure that she would eventually take up her offer that she made her with that potion that she'd discovered that would grant her immortality, but that would be a ways off yet. They still had to go out and find all the reagents to make it. 

She smiled as she brought a couple of saddle bags to the table that her and Rose had and started setting a few books on the table. She also had a pot going on the stove for one of the absolutely required Hearth's Warming traditions. You couldn't have Hearth's Warming, or in this case, teach Hearth's Warming without cocoa! It was the rules! She continued moving everything around and getting things ready before looking up. Rose should be back any moment now after going to get some last minute supplies for the Spa. She sat at the table and waited.

• Thanks 1

"Honey, I'm home!" Hoofsteps could be heard- for once- as Rose opted to be a normal pedestrian and refrain from simply teleporting in. She wasn't in a rush or anything, so why waste the magic?

She smiled as soon as she saw her beloved Aloe, setting the grocery bags down on the floor before approaching, a curious glint in her eyes.

"Oh, what's this?" 

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

"Well," Aloe started. "I remembered earlier this week you were asking about Hearth's warming and I decided to take a night to both celebrate it a bit early and teach you about it in the process," She smiled getting up and moving up to Rose with a smile. She wrapped her hooves around her in a hug and then gave her a light peck on her cheek as well. "Be fore we start that though, did they have everything? I know that the Flower Sisters are low on herbs this time of year," she smiled. She was beside herself with happiness, especially with the other two gems not too far away in the other room with their sister. Giving them all the more reason to make sure this was the best holiday season ever.

• Like 1

Rose was a bit stunned for a moment, having been caught off-guard, but was quick to recover and reciprocate Aloe's affection with a hug and kiss of her own.

"Oh yes, although they're still a bit skittish for some reason." She was never entirely sure what made them so uneasy around her. She was still kind to them...

Quietly, she levitated the bags up onto the table for her to see- just incase. Rose's memory was nigh flawless, but thoughts of Aloe could be... Distracting at times.

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe smiled warmly and gave Rose a nuzzle when she said that the Flower Trio had everything today, but that they were still a bit skittish around her. "They'll get over themselves eventually. At least, they will it they want the Ponyville Day spa to continue to do business with them and not just cultivate the seeds from the herbs that we by from them and grow our own," Aloe said to Rose, a hint of venom in her voice towards any who would dare mistreat her in any way. Just as soon as the words left her mouth though, she heard the kettle start hissing in the kitchen. "Oh! Be right back! Lesson one of Hearth's Warming is ready!" she said going into the kitchen and then coming back with a kettle, to jars, and two mugs. She grabbed the spoon with her socked hooves, and put a brown powdery substance into the mugs from one jar and then poured the water into it, stirring gently before opening the other jar and plopping marshmallows on the top until there was no space left for them. She then looked to the other chair as if implying Rose to sit where she had the other mug sitting.

• Like 1

Rose did so, moving over to the other chair and taking the waiting cup in her aura. She sniffed at the substance curiously.

"Hm. Cocoa. A reliable antioxidant and good for improving heart health. I used to use some of this in potions for cardiac troubles before I found a more efficient process."

Tilting the mug back, she took an expiremental sip, eyes narrowing in contemplation as she let the flavors roll around her tongue.

"And... Sweet. You put sugar in this... What is the significance behind this drink, Aloe?"

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe nodded when she heard Rose's assessment of the drink and everything that chocolate was actually good for. She also seemed surprised that it was sweet. "For most ponies anymore it usually is, but there are darker chocolates that have more of the bitter flavor of it's original. It also has a lot more cocoa. This particular concoction is made using about thirty percent cocoa, dried milk, sugar, and at least in my recipe, the tiniest hint of ginger. The significance of it, well it's always kinda been a family tradition of mine. I remember always racing home in the winter time when I was a filly because I wanted to beat my sister to the first cup. Being the first one in line made it more likely that I could get seconds! Plus it's a really good drink to sit around and tell stories while drinking it, and everypony has a Hearth's Warming story of some kind. Also because it tastes good and is one of my favorite parts of this time of year," she said taking a very careful sip as to not burn her tongue. 

• Like 1

"Ah, seasonal traditions." Rose seemed to understand, looking down at her cocoa with new context. "I beleive I researched Hearth's Warming once. We have a similar holiday where I come from, it is called Fiesta de Los tres Reyes Magos, or Three Queens Day. It's when three Queens came to give gifts to Queen Moor- not changelings, by the way."

"Instead of cocoa, we drink cognac, which is what Queen Moor served her visitors."

She paused, taking another sip. 

"... What else is there to Hearth's Warming? There are... Gifts, right?"

• 4 weeks later...

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe was happy that Rose seemed to understand that it was a seasonal tradition. Of course traditions can change over the years, but cocoa was not one of those things that Aloe wanted to change. She loved the sugary, sweet, chocolaty flavor of that drink. She wished she could actually have it more times than just at Hearth's Warming. Though thinking about, it, there was no reason why she couldn't. She was an adult now after all, if she wanted cocoa in the summer, then she could have it! That wasn't the point right now though. Right now she was teaching her new family about Hearth's Warming! She was surprised when she heard Rose say that they used to drink Cognac. She was caught a bit off guard as she wasn't expecting festivities from changelings in that time period. "I have to admit that I wasn't expecting that, but at the same time I'm not. There are so many out there that ponies paint in a negative light that I'm pretty sure that it's ourselves that's the problem for most."

When she asked what else there was to it, she smiled. "Well, there's the stories and the carols behind it, but as far as the festive parts, ponies will generally find an evergreen or a pine tree and will bring it inside to decorate it. For ponies like us, that's two fold, we can harvest the needles and use them to make aromatics and a very, very mild pain reliever. But then yes, Ponies will buy gifts for the ponies that they care most about in their lives. Sometimes this will include more than just their families, but important friends that they have as well. The gifts don't always have to be useful or something that they would use all the time, but it should be something that is symbolic to them. Gifts from this time are gifts from the heart, and those are the ones that are worth the most. Though many ponies will go for the obvious. Like many of my friends are likely to give me herbs or things for the spa because they only know me as a spa pony. At least they stopped bringing me herbs though. At one point I had enough willow to open an aspirin stall it felt like. There was no way I could get through it all, and a lot of it spoiled," she stated.

• Like 1

Symbolic items, such as the wayfinder Twilight had given her. But to whom? Is it a communal gift giving, or simply to close friends and family? Well... 'family.' As of right then, that only counted for herself and Aloe, and Albedo. 

"I cannot say I have ever seen an evergreen," or if she did, she did not know of it at the time. "They are of the cold, are they not?" Another sip, and another moment of contemplation. "And as for carols, would these pertain to the mythology surrounding the unification of the three tribes? There was a... Flame, right?" The Flame of Friendship, a paradoxical sort of magic. The emotions of ponies could not possibly generate so much energy, yet alone be focused into one point through the will of an entire species. The statistics simply didn't support such an event.

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

"Actually evergreens are quite popular around here. And there are actually multiple types of them. Technically bot Pines and Furs are evergreens. It's almost more like a category of trees than an actual tree itself now that I think about it. But yes, they actually get their name because they stay green throughout every season, even winter. It's the reason most ponies use them. And yes, the Flame of Friendship. Many ponies often wonder how it came to be, and how just a little bit of empathy sparked something so large. I have no doubt that the Windegoes existed and that they could still be a thing, but honestly, I don't think a single act of friendship would have sent them packing. But, I'm just a mud pony alchemist. What do I know?" Aloe said shrugging her shoulders. "But the most important part about this... admittedly over commercialized holiday, is family and unity. Being together with you and our little ones, even the ones to be, is more important than anything else, and making sure that you all are happy as well, that's what the holiday is truly about." Aloe smiled.

• Like 1

Rose smiled, and it was warmer even than the drink lovingly prepared by her love. 

"It is... Not quite like the winter holiday I am familiar with, not that we ever got winters where I come from. Cold winds, sure, but tropics stay balmy even when the rest of the world has frozen over..." She made a mental note to look into wendigos as well. She can probably learn more about the true origins of this holiday through them. 

"We will be together until Celestia's dear sun has burned out into a cold iron core, and beyond then." Getting up, a little rosy cheeked, she trotted over to Aloe's side of the table and embraced her. "Our family. It has been... a long time since I have used our in anything. You have changed me, my love. And for the better. I hope you know that."

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe returned the hug with a smile that was just as warm as the one that Rose had given her. She couldn't help but giggle a bit when she talked about the tropics still being balmy while the rest of the world is frozen over. "I can see that. I also think it would be hilarious to see snow on palm trees. Though I'm pretty sure snow would kill a palm tree, thinking about it. They aren't exactly built for cold climates," she smiled, holding Rose even closer when she heard her say our family. Our bent a word that she's almost never used before. She told her that Aloe had changed her, can and in a good way. Aloe gave Rose a soft but loving kiss.

"Our family is the absolute best family, and I'm glad you feel that way. I always liked to believe what I was doing was helping others by helping them relax, but helping you become a better pony, well want that hard. You were already an amazing pony or we wouldn't have gotten this far as it is," she said playfully licking Rose's nose. "Not to mention, you've kinda changed my to, in a good way. Cause with you specifically, there is no our. You're all mine," Aloe said, licking her nose again.

• Like 1

Rose snorted in surprise, blinking at the pony as she licked her nose. Then did it again!

She couldn't help it. She broke into a fit of giggles, although when they died down... Something else began to simmer, and it wasn't the hot drinks.

"You know, it occurs to me that this would be the perfect moment to spend some... Quality time." She trailed a hoof down Aloe's chest, parting the fluff there as she followed the limb with her eyes. That gaze continued downward...

"Perhaps this conversation can continue elsewhere. I may even extrapolate on my own winter holiday, if you wish." Her eyes met Aloe's, a silent question there.