[SP] A New Sauce Source [Attn:Blueblood - Berry Punch]

Hippo

VTiS2Ks.png

Amongst the prancing and partying at the castle, Granola had many opportunities to see the many Ponyvillians she had gotten to know over the years. Even some non-Ponyvillians were in town to celebrate hearth's warming, and she enjoyed seeing some of them for the first time in a while. Eventually, she got sight of the many market ponies she shared vending space with during many a season. And in that group of ponies was a plum pony who fancied herself a professional at juice. Granola approached her. "Berry! So glad you could make it. I'm your secret princess!" Granola immediately had a flash of anxiety. Was she supposed to reveal herself like this? Was she supposed to reveal herself at all? Was the gift meant to be hoof delivered by the pony herself or sent through the mail with no return address? Well, it was too late for those questions. "We are allowed to give gifts right? Or is it too soon?" Granola looked around for evidence of her committing a party foul.

• 3 weeks later...

Berry was in a good mood.  She usually was this time of year; being a mother meant that she was privileged to see Hearthswarming, not through the jaded eyes of a grown-up, but the shining, innocent eyes of a little filly who could hardly wait for Santa Hooves to pay their humble home a visit.  But this year especially, for Berry, had been the sort of year to make her leave an extra large plate of cookies and something rather stronger than milk for whoever was responsible for pouring an overdue and overflowing load of blessings in her life.  Last year, she had secretly lamented her loneliness, this year, she could hardly keep up with the attentions of Tiger, Midnight, and Jade, all of whom had descended upon the town in Autumn, and left her heart pitter-pattering ever since!

She overflowed with generosity, pouring hours in the evening over a hoof-made gift for her Secret Princess recipient.  And when her giver nervously approached her at the party, she sought to put the mare at her ease with a hearty laugh and slap on the back.  "Oh, don't worry about it!  I've sent mine along already, and really, I'm glad to be able to thank you in pony, you know?"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Granola pshawed in order to disregard her own humility and get to the point before she made more of a fool of herself. She pulled out of her saddlebag a box and set it on a nearby table. "You're probably thinking, 'oh it's Nola, she probably got me berry seeds or some obscure berry I've never heard of before, she's so predictable.' And you'd be right!" She opened the lid of the box which had no bow or strings on it. Inside, were several collections of rare berries that were not commonly found in this region of Equestria. There were also packets of grapeseeds.

Predictable the gift may be, but it was welcome all the same.  "Ooh, are those Golden Sunberries?  I've always wanted to try something with those!  Ah, but I always feel a little guilty using a rare bunch of berries all up.  Foolish, I know, since they'd go bad if not eaten or juiced, but... you know what I mean?"  Berry Punch didn't know if Granola used rare ingredients on any kind of a regular basis, but if she did, she might know what the mare meant.  "And what varietal are these?  Usually I have to plant grapevines from cuttings."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

VTiS2Ks.png

"A couple of these are of prench origin, but some of them are from outside the region. At least one of them hasn't really been identified to be any similar to the known varieties grapes are usually found." Granola held one packet up. "Like this one, I found these at a bazaar up towards Yakyakistan. The shopkeep told me they were highland region grapes, but after I grew a few vines myself, I could tell right away they weren't. But they didn't look like anything else, so as far as I know, and I know a lot about plants, this grape's region is unknown and it's listed varietal has yet to be defined." Considering the honor it would be to determine a varietal's namesake, Granola had way more interest in the actual science of the plants themselves, how they grow, and how they might taste if the grapes were harvested. She did have a few name ideas, but if Berry was successful in turning it into a tasty juice, she figured she would deserve to name the grape classification herself.

Granola rested a hoof on Berry's right shoulder. "And I know your garden might be only so big, so if you need some extra space for growing some of these vines, particularly the more high maintenance ones, I have a few trellises to spare in the forest where I live. I would love to take care of them while we wait for them to produce grapes."

An unknown varietal?  That was certainly an intriguing gift!  A rather long-term one, since it would take at least two harvest seasons for the vine to properly fruit, and who knows how long to judge the wine resulting.  But, when combined with the offer of a trellis to grow them on, it made for a very good basis to start a real friendship!  "As it so happens, my garden is rather full.  So I think I'll take you up on that offer of a trellis, if you don't mind me coming around your place to look after the vine.  I wouldn't want to suit you with a burden, after all!"  Smiling with gratitude, she pulled Granola into a hug.  "First day of the spring planting- well, second, after I tend to my own garden, I'll let you show me the trellises!"

• Like 1

"Great!" Granola responded.

The music in the background began to take control of the vibe and Granola was left standing there with not much else to say. She was awful in these moments. What should she do now? Does she wave goodbye? Does she leave? Does she want to leave? Does Berry have something else she wants to talk about? Granola was clueless. Granola sidestepped to the punch table and poured herself a cup, took a sip, and automatically yummed. "Oh, this is good. Did you make this?"

Berry nodded.  "Yup, my own hoofwork!  The changelings say they can taste the love in it.  I'll have to get one of them to pose for a label if I ever decide to bottle and sell it, but most of the ones around here are students, and a little young to contract with, you know?"  She smiled at Granola, feeling the mare's awkwardness begin to grow, and decided to give her an out.  "I'll have to come around by your place later, though; I have to put Ruby to bed now."  Stowing away her gift, she gave the other mare one last hug.  "Happy Heartswarming, Granola!"

• Like 1

Granola embraced the hug Berry gave and smiled honestly. "You can come by anytime. Just don't get lost! Heh. The trail is marked with lilac all the way to my place." Granola walked backwards as she slowly removed her way from the conversation. She turned around and looked at the decorations of the party. It was nice, but Granola was ready to get back to her plants, and feed Precious. She trotted out the door but not before intentionally brushing her hooves on the leaves of a few poinsettias that were displayed in the front of the commons.