To The Root [Rose/Hou]

Ciraxis

It's been a long time since Hou found herself walking among the ruins of ancient Technotitlan.....

Ancient....some would think that centuries old sorceress referring to anything as ancient was absurd. Yet there were places and things that were much older then her...things and people that faded from legend into myth. And Shuren didn't yet earned the status of truly timeless being. Not yet.

"....." white mare placed her hoof on cold, moss covered slab of stone. She knew who placed those buildings here and for what reason. How many and for how long could say the same?

"I will.....never be a memory." she proclaimed before casing her gaze at stone.

"Hmm? Oh, a rare litchen!" Hou said in pleasant surprise before conjuring a scraper and a vial. Seconds later she was fervently gathering the uncommon ingredient into glass container.

Her enthusiastic scarping was interrupted but a sudden presence behind her. Sorceress went still for a moment before she resumed what she was doing.

"I thought we were done for today? <SCRAP, SCRAP, SCRAP> If you want another trade, you have to offer something else then that kind of spel. I made it clear I am not all that enthusiastic abou...." Hou interrupted herself as she realized that she felt not one but two presences. The sorceress looked over her shoulder before saying.

"Is this...?" white unicorn asked, even through she knew the answer already.

• Like 1

Rose smiled a coy, knowing smile. 

"It's good to see you too, Hou." Turning around, she displayed her side. Or, more rather, what was perched on her back: a small, white amphibious creature with wide, observant pink eyes. 

Albedo floated within the center of a sphere of water that kept its shape despite its liquid state.

"Meet Albedo, the first of my budding brood. Say hi, Albedo!"

Albedo observed her surroundings with a wandering, detached interest. Then her eyes landed on Hou.

Albedo stared.

"... She... Does that a lot." Rose said. "Staring, I mean."

Then Rose noticed what Hou had been harvesting, and a light switched on. "Ooh, I don't believe I've seen this particular species before. What is it?"

Rose got closer, but not close enough to interrupt the pony. She didn't want to be rude, after all.

Lastly... Hou may notice a third budding life, centered in Rose's belly of all places. This family really never stops expanding. 

• Like 1

Hou gave out a heavy sight before putting a tighter lid on her magic then moments before. Not her soul magic though....she needed it to get closer look at....Toddler...? Grub....? Whatever Rose wanted to call that spawn of hers. So instead she just said....

"...Charmed." she said, and proceeded to finish filling up a vial.

"Well it's not like she's capable conversing about quantum magic-circle enchanting yet..." sorceress deadpanned.

When Compass asked about lichens, Shuren instead of answering conjured up a what was apparently '2004 Lichens of Aquelia, Badlands and Equestria. By C.K. Yardshrubthorn.' and hoofed it to changeling queen. The reason for that because her eyes was set on Rose's gravid gut.....

"Compass...." Hou started, her tone even more dry then moments before "...Most mares get to know their country's tax tariffs before they start making their own hooffball team." she added. "Or are you that dead-set on going bankrupt buying school supplies ten years down the line?" sorceress asked before giving up a heavy sight.

"Look I understand you wanting to stand up to your 'Template' how good of parent you are, but certainly not by allowing your instincts running unchecked. Are you sapient being or and aphid?" Hou questioned, while her gaze held promise of something if she doesn't like an answer.

With that, sorceress shifted her attention back to Albedo, who continued staring. If she didn't know better, Hou would say the little thing was in awe.

"......Also....you over-designed your firstborn. Just ten years...." unicorn mare shook her head.

• Like 1

Rose graciously accepted the gift- for what else could it be? - and ported it off to her own lab after a cursory look. Interesting

"Oh, this isn't about showing up my old self, I just really enjoy Aloe's company is all," Rose said in response to Hou's quip. She shrugged. "And I don't expect to be running out of the local currency any time soon. After all, the title of 'Royal Alchemist' doesn't strike me as the title of a destitute mare ~"

Now Rose grinned. Although she wasn't the royal alchemist yet, she certainly wasn't going to turn the offer down when she was ready to take it.

"Anyways, Albedo is actually rather average for a guppie her age." She looked back at the baby changeling, who hadn't stopped staring... Until Rose turned her attention towards her.

Albedo blinked and looked at her... Then began to roll her ball off the larger mare's back.

"Oh! Wait-" she caught the ball in her aura just before it could hit the ground. It wouldn't have popped, but it'd have rattled the child. She placed her back on her back, where she stayed.

Although Albedo was frowning now, and decided not to look at her or Hou anymore.

"Hm. Anyway..." Rose turned back to Hou. "Andalusian changelings are amphibians, and go through cycles of life starting from a guppie to an adult. In... Give or take a couple months she should grow lungs and her hind legs, then begin to learn how to speak."

"As for why she's albino, that really is me. As is her unusual levels of magical potency."

• Like 1

".......Does that enjoyment always has to include chromosome mixing?" Hou asked, still nonplussed, while she put the vial and scraper into the same pocket space she put them out of. "Even heard of...alternatives? Visit a theme park, go to theatre, take cooking classes together...." she continued in deadpan tone.

When Rose mentioned her new position however, Shuren's interests was piqued.

'I wasn't aware of this....' Hou thought. Her information gathering was superb, but it's not like abilities of her spy network were absolute. How luckily then that Rose provided her that titbit on her own accord!

'It has to be recent development.' unicorn mare mused in her mind. 'This means Rose will be a valuable source of information that I can milk from her about Sparkle. It seems associating with her is even more beneficial then I assumed.'

"Hmmmm. Odd....." sorceress mused aloud, careful to not appear brooding for too long. "It should be 'Court Alchemist' since she's not an only royal in the realm, but the only one that keeps an active court." Hou explained "Either power is getting into her head already, or the wording is the signal to other powers..." by which Hou meant political entities..."...that Sparkle is THE Royal that they have to reckon with." she explained.

"...Regardless...it seems that your new.....position indeed could come with decent salary, but since this is title without precedent yet, don't assume it or pay-check for granted. They are court positions in....western nation likes 'Keeper of Swans', 'Grand Almoner' or 'Master of the Hunt' that are mostly for prestige and come with only minimal material benefits." Shuren explained, "...although I assume you would already know this....." despite speaking such, Hou herself wasn't so sure. Rose Template used to be 'Rape, Pillage, Burn' kind of pirate before shifting into hermit/insane researcher. For being that boasted consciousness  of great age......Compass understanding of many topic could hardly be described as anything but 'pathetic'.

Rose....Original and Copy alike, seemed like creature of laster-thin focus - at expense of everything else. It will be a challenge to break out the later from that way of thinking....

Which she wouldn't have a chance to do, if she doesn't stop potential future insanity spiral here and now!

Hou walked closer to changeling queen and delicately poked the Albedo's bubble. She was certain to become a major player in the future. But only if...

"Yes...aside from complete lack of pigmentation, her body is indeed ordinary, while housing incredible magical potential.....and this is precisely the problem."

Hou judged before stepping back.

"Rose...ten years wasn't estimation for this cycle of her development....It was ten years of life...overall...."

Well... Rose took Aloe fishing once. And then they ended up doing other activities.

Come to think of it, just about anything they do evolves into 'other activities.' She, personally, did not see the problem.

"Well, soon-to-be, but yes. At the least, the position will put me into contact with the connections I need to make changes. Such as... Agricultural." Rose glanced away at this- she hadn't actually studied agricultural alchemy all that much yet.

"What do you mean by Albedo only has ten years to live, though?" Rose tilted her head, not understanding how Hou could tell such a thing. She appeared perfectly fine to Rose.

And speaking of...

Albedo twitched towards Hou when she approached, backing into the back of her bubble as it was tapped. However, whatever caution she was excersizing quickly evaporated and she tried to grab the hoof in her aura before it could pull away, reaching out with her forelegs. Undoubtedly, she wanted to examine this strange creature more personally, but she was not nearly strong enough to hold onto the elder pony. 

• Like 1

"<Sigh> How can I explain this to you?" Hou mused. The fact that Rose didn't noticed this problem when making blueprints for Albedo meant that her understanding of Soul Magic was fairly deep but at the same time narrow. This shouldn't be surprised really. Compass's Template didn't specialize in it like Shuren did, instead focusing on potential of bringing back dead and gaining immortality. Add the fact that Hou added to the magic branch, substantially contributing to it and....

"Imagine you building a train. The fastest, most powerful train you could. So you design and engine - and indeed you create train engine about all others. Strong, long working and self improving! But you focus on this task so extensively, that it comes at price of parts of the said train. The frame, wheels...everything! You didn't consider the power of this new creation of yours, so even through other elements are very solid, they should be made with consideration of it from the very start." sorceress explains.

"At first everything is fine...for first few months...But then defects start to creep. Windows slowly start to break from engines vibrations. The frame that supports it starts to deform due to how much heat it generates. The wheels not designed for such speeds wear down and steadily loose their friction.... And one day...."

Hou stomped with her hoof, suddenly. "The train derails, crashing and burning...." she said poignantly before pausing. "Albedo is fine now because she's 'new' so to speak ...but as years go by her immense magic will wear down other parts of her. And swimming in pool of healing concoctions for rest of her life can hardly be called 'living' if you thinking what I am believe you are thinking."

Hou walked to the side for a moment, allowing Rose to digest all this, before continuing.

"....Before you start going through 'Five Stages of Grief' notice that I wouldn't be telling you any of this if there was no solution. I promised you, didn't I? If you ever star the same downward spiral your Original did.......Well, if it was truly hopeless I would simply put you down like Old Yeller when your guard is lowered." Shuren managed to say something that was somehow reassuring and ominous in equal measure.

".....Albedo's magic might be powerful. But there were other being that held the same if not greater potential in their infancy. Twilight Sparkle or Startswirl the Bearded wouldn't survive past foalhood if there wasn't a lighting rod of sorts, to disperse excessive power. Although lightning rod is over-simplification....it's in equal part a power dispenser for magic and instruction manual for other elements that makes one's being - mind, body and soul -  for grow strong enough and adapting to withstand it....." Hou continued with the lesson.

"Your larva here however, doesn't has it because you don't as an extra-planar creature. And you didn't felt anything different since you came here as fully developed being and thus didn't really needed it despite the advantages it could bring. I am talking about 'The Root'. "

• Like 1

"The Root?" Rose echoed, unbothered by Hou's threat. No power in this world short of maybe Twilight could actually harm her in any permanent way- at least, that's what she beleives.

"Is this tied to cosmic magic? The source Twilight is tied to that grants her so much power." The power she wishes to obtain, if just briefly. She felt like there was something she should know... Back from the lake... But she just can't recall anything other than a discrepancy in memory from her simulacrums.

"Should I... Enhance Albedo? Like I enhanced myself?" There are permanent forms of alchemy. Changing oneself for the better. There are a lot of traits that have been more or less baked into her, albeit that's because of her original. She was, after all, built to serve as a backup incase OG Rose's vessel was damaged beyond repair, and thus possessed all the basic facilities she needed to operate at peak efficiency. 

• Like 1

"I am not surprised you didn't heard of it. It's a term I coined up after studying extensively Equestria's, Long Guo's and Unyasi theories of magic, with addition of some ancient texts from very, very, very long time ago.....from before history of this world and the one your 'Template' resides in diverged." Hou said, without actually explaining what in Tartarus 'The Root' was.

"To understand 'The Root' you have to understand relationship between the world or the 'Planet' and it's 'Magic'. You might be aware that 'Magic' - the capital M 'Magic' by the way - has a will of it's own. What most doesn't understand it that so is the 'Planet'. The tow are distinct, and yet part of one. Do you follow so far?" Shuren asked before continuing with the explanation.

"Now....the wills or rather wishes of 'Planet' and 'Magic' most of the time coincide with each other....they never oppose mind you - since how you can oppose yourself? - but they once in the while, they do diverge." Hou said with emphasis.

"Ultimately, 'Magic' desires to be used. Dark magic, soul magic, harmony magic it doesn't matter, since ultimately each branch is but a one facet of it....." sorceress continued.

"Now...sentient, magic using beings are built similar to the world, although we have more moving parts, and thus our relationship between them is more complicated: mind, body, soul and magic. Now there are suspicions that there is fifth part - The Heart - but if it does exists, it's relationship to other parts of one's being is something I myself have yet to determinate. Now, most sentients come into existence with capacity to generate their own magic - the capability to do so granted by the 'Magic' or in case of Albedo, you." Hou pointed at Rose "Think of it like an ignition spark in engine. Once it is provided, the engine is able to generate more on it's own, provided sufficient fuel is at hoof." Shuren started to support her words with some illusions, to provide visual aid. "This own, ponysonal magic shows thought owners soul, which acts as the matrix for it. In changelings, it shows as an ability to transform. In most equines it appears as what we call 'Cutie Marks'. " white mare explained.

"Now......our own personal magic usually fuels those special talents of ours, but by no means it means it's only magic one's is capable off.  Just like changeling can do more then transform, ponies can do more then what is represented by their 'Special Talent'. In quilin it's extra powerful breath, in earth ponies endurance, strength and talent for plant life.....you get the idea." Hou followed with lesson. "Now, if that innate capabilities could be likened to a breathing, others skills are in that comparison rope walking. A slip and doom awaits." sorceress said, and an miniature, illusionary pony fell into abyss.

"Now...this is the part where 'The Root' comes in. Just as you must learn rope walking, so you do need to cast spells, fly or tap into that enhanced strength and stamina. 'The Root' is an extension of spirit - which is what we refer to as combination of magic, soul and mind, but without a body - that taps into capital M 'Magic'. As I said before 'Magic' desires to be used, 'The Root' helps with that it acts like a safety harness of sorts, an instructor that slowly helps you with using your 'extra' skills, and a pipeline that allows you to link and 'draw' from 'Magic' to quicken replenishing your own supply. It also a limiter for said pipeline, so you don't overdraw and not suffer from aether overload. Is what I say clear so far?" Shuren asked.

"Magic desires to be used, and is expressed through special talents and unique traits attributes to species and race," Rose summarized thoughtfully. "And creatures born into this world use The Root to regulate their thaumic input and output. I still don't see what this has to do with Albedo, though- she may have been made by my foreign blood, but she was born of Aloe's body. She should be a native to this world, even if I am not."

• Like 1

"You got this almost right. Think bigger." Hou said "Any creature born into any realm with Magic develop The Root. However The Root developed in one world is seemingly not universal. I don't have exactly have a means to test this" sorceress explained with a shrug. "That aside....the ability to develop The Root is inherited, but not in genetic way...." Shuren said as she started to walk back an forth. "Understand that while Root helps with absorbing aeather, it's not exactly necessary. Like a safety wheels on a bike, it's only needed 'till body, soul and mind develop enough to handle it without side-effects." white mare said, before turning her gaze towards Rose.

"You however Rose was not born...you were made. You have a donor...a matrix, but no real parent - even if you remember otherwise. Your body, soul and magic is 100% copy of Original at certain point of her life, while your mind is copy of that and beyond...although it is possible that there is still some time-frame gap between what you recall and your creation. I don't know what process your Template used to make you, but gazing at your soul I am certain.....The Root can only be nurtured, not copied. However....since you essentially came into existence as an mature specimen of your species, you neither needed it, nor was able to notice it's absence." Hou said before turning 90° and closing to Compass and Albedo.

"I can only speculate why Albedo doesn't have it either. It's true her other parent is mare from this world, but your case is very unusual...." Hou said as she extended her hoof to poke the tadpole's bubble again "You are not only expatriate from different dimension but also a different species the Aloe. At this point we can only guess if the same issues would to arise if Albedo was born a pony, or if your chose mate was changeling as well. Insufficient data." unicorn mare explained....

Then she recalled the bit about 'enhancing' Albedo further, which made Hou frown. Sorceress dope slapped the changeling queen (but not too hard) before continuing.

"You got into this because you 'enhanced' her before birth. Understand this Rose, this isn't a problem just for your firstborn, but all your changeling children as well. However they should be able to get through the childhood....at the price of being sick prone during and after it. Albedo meanwhile was over-designed. She will eventually begin absorbing aether at such rate it will start burning-out her body from strain." Hou summed up. "We can't throw elixirs and potions at all our problems Rose, even if we prodigies in that. One has to be more flexible then that." sorceress advised, before returning to problem at hoof.

"Luckily, the same link between you and your daughter that caused this trouble, is something we can use to fix this. Although since your obviously..." sorceress gave changeling a look-over ".....beyond adolescence, it will require a few extra steps."

• Like 1

Again, Albedo tried to tug on Hou's hoof, and with a surprising amount of force for a creature so young. When she realized that magic really wasn't going to cut it, she swam to the surface of the bubble herself. She couldn't leave the bubble, even if some things could get inside. That didn't stop her from trying to put the hoof in her mouth, though- a trait all babies share nigh universally.

"Rubedo and Nigredo are... Not as enhanced as Albedo is," Rose said, not wanting to directly admit to favoring any one child over the other. "And our pony foals..." At this, she placed a single hoof on her belly, looking down. "If I'm being honest, I haven't given much thought to them, but I haven't enhanced them in any way. I don't even know what race they'll be."

Odds are a unicorn or earth pony, though. A unicorn for speculative reasons, and an earth pony because of Aloe. 

"Anyways, what do I need to do to remedy this? I can inhabit the body of an adolescent, If that's what it requires. Create a younger version of myself or... Well... Possession." Rose snorted and cracked a grin at this, shaking her head.

"Maybe I am still a villain? ... And trust me, Aloe is not a changeling."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Heh....." Hou scoffed as she seen Albedo try so hard to reach her"Your child has certainly enough gumption, can't help but like her...." she commented before turning to Rose, exasperation that she didn't bother hiding visible on her features.

"Which make make your failure of inviting me to give my blessing to her all more vexing." sorceress said, finally revealing why she thought Compass offended her.

"But as I said earlier...." unicorn mare broke contact with the water bubble and strode to the stone slab again. "....I let it slide. However....be sure to be more.....mindful in the future." Hou 'advised' Rose, while glancing over her shoulder.

Then their conversation turned towards Compass other children. When Changling Queen, mentioned that her other egg-born children weren't getting as much attention as Albedo did....

"Obviously." Hou said with an eye roll "She's your firstborn AND designed successor. Of course it remains to be seen if she agrees to play along with inheriting role." Shuren found it amusing that Rose was doing to her daughter what her Template did to her....even if in less abusive way. If she becomes aware of this remains to be seen. Hou wasn't going to hoof-hold Rose through everything. When Compass mentioned her mammalian children....

"You don't know, but does it matters what they be?" sorceress asked - but only to keep the conversation going. Hou herself knew, that for her, it didn't. From where she stood, only Rose's changeling scions held value. Her foals? Well, world had enough foals already. Unless they will turn really exceptional like Sparkle or Shimmer. Not that she will tell Compass this, since Changeling Queen mental stability was other of those 'things that mattered' to sorceress. "You will care and love them all the same." Shuren added, to maintain the illusion of interest.

When Compass proved overeager to jump into action, which prompted a sight from Sorceress Eternal - Rose like her Original had intellect of the academic mare, but only enough wisdom to fill a teaspoon. Not surprising seeing that said 'Original' was essentially a advanced example of 'basement dweller'.

"......Compass, less is more." she chastised the young queen "That and I am sure child within you would be delighted to go through all you proposed." Hou added, more mockingly.

"Well....first we need to find a suitable pond. We will sterilize it, and then put Albedo in it. You won't be able to maintain a bubble for what we need to do." Shuren explained.

• Like 1

"There's Saddle Lake," Rose supplied readily. "That's where Aloe and my underwater home is, and where I keep my eggs. I've done as much as I can to create a hospitable environment for my kind there, but I can only do so much without disrupting public order." Considering if she really did terraform the lake, odds are ponies wouldn't find it as pleasant as they do now. And it's still kind of a public lake... Well, unless she officially buys it.

Maybe she should just buy the lake? She already made a home down there.

"And I would be honored if you could bless Rubedo and Nigredo," She added with a steep bow. "I'm certain Aloe would appreciate it, too. But if you do show up for such an event-" She paused, glancing around, then put up a sound barrier and anti-scrying field. "If you would like to do so, it would be best to arrive as Jade."

• Like 1

"Pond Rose. I want to have your little grub under my gaze. You will be pretty.....dazed, during and after the process. And I prefer not having to comb every part of a large lake looking for Albedo cause she decides to explore." Hou explained.

"And yes, I assume you have some kind of supremely special crib for her in that hideaway of yours....but the other reason is that leylines here are good. Very, very good." sorceress said as she pulled herself away from the stone slab, and began to walk away - looking for small body of water they needed.

"Do not misunderstand me. Ponyville and surroundings aether lines are.....passable. However we need better. Much better. Like here." the mare explained before glancing over the shoulder.

"We at the same latitude Crystal Empire is. Why do you think there are the frozen wastes barely kept away by the Crystal Heart, while here is life-teeming jungle sandwiched between mountain ranges?" Shuren pointed out. Well that was oversimplification of course, but it didn't changed the fact that Basin's concentration of leylines were one of the best on the continent.

When Compass decided to remedy her earlier slight, Hou merely nodded in approval. However when Rose mused that she should do so under Jade persona (after casting anti-espionage spells. Probably unneeded seeing where they were, but the gesture was appreciated), unicorn shook her head.

"No. You mate for one, will start asking questions why simple ethologist like Jade is able to pass arcane blessings. It will be much better if somepony else, unrelated would do so. Preferably after you do some trips aboard. Like Maretonia, Long Guo or Saddle Arabia. There are many sages and hermits around the world." Hou explained, hinting that she will pull a third appearance, unrelated to either her real self of 'Jade Beaker'.

"Travelling is something you need to do anyway Rose. So far you sicked mostly to Equestria. However it is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding other ways of thinking, other nations will help you more complete being then your Original ever was." dark sorceress advised.

• Like 1

At the mention of this experience having the potential to leave her dazed, she had her simulacrums place becons before recalling them it'd be very awkward to have one suddenly glitch out of existence in front of a pony.

"I interact with other cultures," she said, although her argument was rather weak, and she knew it. "My simulacrums-" she sighed and shook her head. "Maybe you're right. I'm still bringing Aloe, though. I've we've been meaning to take a trip."

Following along, a thought came to the nascant queen. A memory of a place, very old and very powerful. She wasn't sure if Twilight would appreciate her revealing this to someone who thinks her an enemy, but it was probably better than some pond.

"There's a pond I know of that may work better. Its 'waters' are pure, liquid aether. Twilight brought me to it once before..." Here, she paused, furrowing her brow. What did they do there? "Well, we talked about a lot of things that changed my outlook on life. Would that be suitable, or should we stick to a normal pond?"

• Like 1

"All the better." Hou said when Rose revealed her desire to make her travels a 'family trip'. "Others can see different aspects of those cultures, ultimately offering a different perspective then your own. Sharing them, is too a form of wisdom." sorceress said, before glancing over her shoulder once again.

"And I believe I don't need to point this out, that others nations are far less forgiving for a changeling race then Equestria is. Be sure your guise in them is flawless."

When Compass started mentioning certain place of power, Hou had to admit, she was tempted to make Rose spill more. Such pond could potentially.....

No. I the grand scheme of things, it was only a short term benefit, and she learned long ago that they were never worth it. So when young queen trailed off in hesitation, the white mare raised her hoof and shook her head instead.

"You keep my secrets from Sparkle, feel free to keep hers hidden from me. I won't enforce you to chose between myself and Priggish Purple Princess." Shuren said.

She knew that Rose will recall her words if she happens to find herself in similar conversation with Sparkle.

"As for the pond itself...." Shuren paused and massaged her temple, pondering. "We need power, but not that much power. While Albedo will not be the one to undergo the ritual, it will obviously affect her via your parent-child connection - since it's the entire point of it. Pond of pure aether will only hurt her, since she already absorbs too much of it as it is. No, we need a place strong in magical might, but also teeming with primal, untamed strength of nature." Hou explained.

"That said.....go to that font of magic you mentioned, and fill at least three vials with liquid aether Rose. We will enhance a normal body of water with vials contents, striking perfect balance between nature and arcane. You shouldn't have trouble finding me, seeing my magic is strong enough to act as a beacon." unicorn mare explained, moving forward and leaving Compass behind. With two tasks split between them, preparing for the ritual should take no time at all. "Bring the vials, and regroup with me. Then I will tell you what needs to be done." Shuren said, disappearing into the jungle.

"Aye captain ~" Rose served a deliberately wrong-hoofed salute, then promptly vanished. Having dismissed her simulacrums In preparation for this 'ritual', she'd need to go fetch the water herself. She also contemplated dropping in on Aloe and telling her what's happening, but she didn't want to needlessly worry her.

It only took a couple minutes to drop by her place, gather some empty vials and potions she may need, then go to the lake, then come back and locate the sorceress. Although... Maybe sorceress wasn't the proper terminology? Technically, all unicorns are sorcerers due to inmate magical affinity, so it's better to call them wizards if they're learned practicioners of magic.

Coincidentally, she had also left Albedo with Hou- both as a show of trust, and to keep the loner company that won't judge her... At least not too harshly. The little scamp almost never peeled her attention away from the pony- and, of course, Rose had glued the sphere to Hou before she left. 

When she returned, it was with potions to temperarily enhance her own magical power, as well as the three vials.

"Have you two gotten along without me?" She asked with a giggle. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hou frowned when Rose disappeared. Her child's very life was on the line, and yet she showed such foolhardiness? Was it arrogance? Dismissiveness of the danger? Attempt to mask her nervousness? Or perhaps....her trust in...?

Sorceresses train of thought was interrupted by the feeling of something on her back. She slowly glanced over her shoulder, and saw all too-familiar bubble of water, and big childish eyes of Albedo. Shuren couldn't had but grimace as mixed emotions clashed in her mind.

".......How foolish.." white mare finally muttered, coming to terms that she was to be this child temporary ward. Not wasting more time she moved further into the foliage.

Hou didn't paid Albedo much mind. She knew that little larvae was surely distracted by both her new 'carriage' and the surroundings. Sorceress doubted that Rose took her to such place as jungle before. Was the little thing found the place fascinating? The recognition and familiarity with oceans was surely in grubs blood. To be instead surrounded by the sea of leaves....had to be entrancing.

".....I envy children like you, at times." Hou muttered to Albedo. "For you, everything surely appears new, fascinating....ready to be discovered." Shuren monologued. She doubted if child could understand her, but alas, she was only ear in vicinity.

"For me it's almost a forgot feeling. With knowledge, came realization. And now, everywhere I turn, I see scars, and how much this world had have lost. And with how things are, i realize that I can't experience those things and places. What was like an Empire of Abada, lost after they repeated folly of dragons million hundred thousand years later? What about dragons themselves? Before the War shattered civilizations of those from west and east...and completely wiped out white wyrms from north? True Maratonia, lost either to seas or tear in time?" Hou asked question that she knew there were no answers for yet.

"For over thousand years I watched, and I am certain. The wheel revolves, but the Equus stays the same. It just....less in it." unicorn said with surprising bitterness.

"And I will give to it back, everything that was stolen from it by the sands of time." she said before tapping the bubble, and erasing the recording spell that Compass oh-so-sneaky hidden in magic keeping the water together. Speaking of water....

The pond was exactly what they needed. Ideal size, near perfect clarity, and whatever lived inside was easy to deal with. The only problem was horned feline-like beast that was now rising to it's paw upon seeing Hou and Amazing-Water-Grub on her back. Shuren rolled her eyes and groaned in annoyance. Normally she would emanate a killing intent, that made any jungle creature big and small to flee for her lives. Unfortunately, white unicorn wasn't exactly  in position in doing that now, with Albedo that she was babysitting now - after all, returning the tadpole to Rose near catatonic with terror wouldn't exactly be the sign of trust....

The beast pounced at the pair - to gorge them with horns or to tear at them with claws, Hou wasn't sure which - and Sorceress Eternal sidestepped the attacking creature with almost bored expression. As it missed by wide margin, it turned around at lightning speed and tensed like a spring to make another go at the unicorn and larvae.

Hou decided that she really didn't had time for this. As the beast leap at the two again. Before it's instinct where able to make it realize that something was wrong, unicorn's magic closed upon it's neck, and unceremoniously snapped it. The lifeless carcass hit the ground with a heavy thud, while uncaring Hou was already inspecting the pond. What she saw wasn't really encouraging. The mosquito 'wiggles' where harmless enough, and dragonfly larva could at best pinch the little Albedo.

But Hou saw what she believed was giant water bug from Unyasi.....somehow?

"That won't do..." Hou stood up to her full high, and prepared to to scour the pond from life before pausing. While the spell shouldn't harm the grub on her back, Hou wasn't exactly certain of it either. After all, it was relatively new creation, and it was possible that it might bring some harm to changelings - due to their insectoid nature. So Shuren surrounded Albedo's bubble with warding sphere of her own. And then another, different one - just to be safe. Satisfied with precautions, Hou turned her attention to the pond, and it's unwanted residents.

"Vermin Bane." she flatly intoned and fired her magic, obliterating all the insect life in the pond in a column of green and teal aether flames that briefly emanated from the water.

Sorceress tilted her head and inspected the results. Satisfied, she was ready to put Albedo into now safe pond....and at that moment  a snickering form of Compass ported right next to her.

Upon hearing Rose question Hou answered in deadpan voice.

"What do you think?" Shuren asked, the last embers of the spell dancing along her horn and with dead predator behind her. After a pregnant pause sorceress snorted and spoke again.

"You brought the vials no doubt. So it's my turn to prepare the right tools for the ritual. Assuming we done contemplating out navels, check the water. I am not really certain what level of salinity would make her most comfortable." white mare said, as she passed Compass's child back to her.

Naturally, Albedo didn't appear to really comprehend what the sorceress was saying. She examined the forest with idle curiosity, swimming around her protective sphere to get a better look at this and that. Her ear perked in Hou's direction as she talked, and she prodded the enchantments placed on her bubble during the attack, but otherwise... She was pretty detached, all things considered. Instead of having regarded the predator with fear, she responded with curiosity, and pouted when Hou prevented her from seeing what she was doing with the creature.

When Rose came back, Albedo perked up, and was more than happy to bre returned to her custody.

Rose nuzzled the tadpole through the sphere, smiling. Albedo didn't smile back, but Hou would get the feeling that didn't neccesarily mean she wasn't happy.

"Yes, I brought the vials," she said, floating them over the the sorceress and getting a good look at this pond. She dipped a hoof into the water, frowning as she contemplated it. "The sea is around 3.5% salinity, but I've found I rather prefer more salt rather than less, so 4%."

This said, a simple flick of her horn and a potion for just the ocassion snapped into existence. It'd change the PH levels in the water, as well as salt it up some. In it goes ~

"Now, what will I be doing during this ritual?" She asked, satisfied with the results. She vanished the empty vial and held up the one she brought, withholding drinking it immidiately. The power boost was temperary, so it's best to use it when she needs it. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

"Your child is....a curious one." Hou commented as Rose and her spawn had a moment together. "Not a desired trait for a medically expert...but one welcomed in explorer or scientist." white mare observed before continuing. "I suppose it will be up to your other children to carry your task as a healer. Seems Albedo might aspire...to higher things. Perhaps she will explore other frontiers then Equus itself." sorceress mused.

As Compass hoofed the vials, Shuren put one of them against the sunlight. She seemed to admire it's contents...

"Water and magic...two conduits of life. Look how brimming with potential they are when combined...and from such simple pond." she said.

"Sometime, long ago, before Dragon's Folly, there had to exists and ur-pond that combined the two.....no, not pond. A Well with capital W would be better term for such grand reservoir. Yes, a Well of Orgin. Imagine what kind of power would a waters from such reservoir hold...." unicorn mare marveled before sighting.

"No matter. And back to things at hoof..." Hou said before emptying the vial into the pond, empowering it. Empowered by the aether, now it was suitable as the meditation focus aid, but not strong enough to harm Albedo while she swam in it.

"Do you recall what I said about the world and how it's composed of by Planet and it's Magic? About them being the same and yet distinct at the same time? Well, ponies - and other magically sensitive species I suppose - are not so different. However while the World 'construction' is simple and thus durable. Ponies, as I explained have....more 'moving parts'." Hou said before pausing.

"To get you to develop your own 'Root' , we need to get you into contact with your Magic. However you also need to be lucid while doing this, and thus other parts that composes you - Mind, Body and Soul need to be in sync to achieve the required state. To do this, specific ritualized form of mediation I developed is needed. The magically enhanced waters at land rich with laylines...." Shuren waved at now enhanced pond. "...will help at reaching an require focus. Likewise a presence of your child as a reminder of what is at stake will enhance your willpower through the ordeal." sorceress explained before adding.

"Now...ten laps around the jungle should suffice. No magic."

Rose was following and nodding along... all the way up to the last part.

"... Excuse me?" As a changeling queen, and an accomplished scientist, Rose was rather adept when it came to subjects concerning the mind and body. Research has allowed her to tap into the soul as well, granted she was not as experienced as Hou herself, and would likely never surpass her. That is to say, she could run ten laps... around a port, maybe. Emphasis on maybe. The body, no matter how enhanced, still had limits.

Albedo, meanwhile, attempted a jailbreak on her bubble. Who could say when she learned it, but that little horn of hers lit up and she.. well... she threw her magic at the bubble like a child throwing a toy at the wall. It has similarly disappointing results.

• Like 1

"Oh you would think it would be so easy, did you? Do thing 'A' at place 'B' and with addition of 'C' and you get result 'K'.....like another potion recipe. " Hou said in half mocking tone as she walked up to changelings face.

"So simple, so easy! So clinical, so unsavoury....." sorceress dragged her vowels at the last word, with near-disgust.

"This is something you and Sparkle share. This....disrespect for Magic. You think you can catalogue it, give it labels, wrap your mind around everything it represents. Treat it like another tool in garden shed" Shuren glared at Rose before walking off to the ponds edge.

"You have yet to understand that some things hold power, precisely because they retain their mystique." she contained staring into the water "They are what they are because they can't be understood by logic, because at some point logic and mind alike b r e a k s ! What we are to attempt is one of those things." white mare explained.

"Unfortunately.....neither You or your Template decided to be monk, esotericist or other of similar life callings. Most your life experience can be split between 'insane magic-experimenting hermit' and 'pirate yandere'. " Hou summed up before adding "It's the Neighponese term. Look it up later." she said with dismissive hoofwave.

"The point is...you don't have a mystical oriented bone in your body Rose, and I doubt you ever will. However there are....things that we can do to ease of finding perfect sync that is required for the ritual. The Body at the state of total, physical exhaustion is much more susceptible to fall in line with Mind and Soul. Thus, we need to tire you out...the old fashioned way." Hou said with a grin. "You can either run, exercise, or I can pummel you for hour or two. The choice is yours."

• Like 1

Rose listened, steadfastly refraining from taking too much offense to what Hou said. It was true, Rose was a scientist by heart, and she largely viewed magic as a science, and alchemy as chemistry (but chemistry with magic.) To be perfectly honest, Rose wasn't the greatest of sorcerers, and almost all of her 'magic' is dark magic or with craft, which is all largely ritualistic. 

But still... She couldn't see how this would help her sync with her mind and soul.

"I don't know if you've noticed, friend Hou, but this body is alchemically enhanced." As she spoke, she gently lifted Albedo off her back and placed her next to the pond, affixing an anchoring spell to it so she wouldn't roll away. "In my limited experience, even soul magic only goes so far when applied to the physical body." That being, Rose had no idea if soul magic could bolster the body. She'd only ever used it for spiritual transplants and enhancing magic in some peculiar ways. 

• Like 1

"Is that what you think? Hmmm..." Hou murmured with risen eyebrow. Either way,she wasn't in hurry to disprove Rose's opinion on the soul magic - changeling queen should already know better seeing Shuren's mastery over many different skills she had occasion to witness. But back on track.....

"Enhanced or not, there are limits to everything that has to obey physics to at least limited degree." white mare pointed out. Even her own abilities were supplemented by souls, that either acted as fuel for them, or as a resource that was spent to counteract against things Hou didn't wanted to deal with at the moment - like exhaustion...or ageing.

"Or perhaps you have a means to um-enhance yourself? After all, what one unplugged, other can unplug." Hou said with almost-nonchalance in her tone....

However inside, Shuren groaned in irritation. It was good that Compass was open to counsel of others, recognizing that she lacked perspective necessary for many things. If she truly wished to improve herself, she needed to tap into those few virtues that her Mad Template clung to in her mad quest - namely willpower and determination to seek solutions to fix her own problems.

"Do I really have to remind you what is at stake? Not only our firstborn daughter's very life, but also well being of all her current and future siblings. And how do you think Aloe would react if anything happened to them? Do you truly wish for her to end like Him? Your time together is already limited as it is...." sorceress said.