A Deal for Distribution (Rose/High Bar/Mayor Rich)

Blueblood

spoiled.png.79a5adac26b4aa2af55d6279984da003.png

There were some meetings that just couldn't be held during Town Hall hours.  This little... arrangement wasn't official town business, after all.  She was here simply as Spoiled Rich, wife of a prominent businesspony, here to arrange a deal between a friend and another businesspony.  She hadn't really done much work with High Bar or her family, though she had guessed rather early their true nature and intentions at sending a scion to Ponyville.  She was still leery about letting their hooves anywhere near official contracts, but this wasn't official business.

An alchemist needed distribution connections to market her experimental, but highly effective, treatments.  Who better, she thought?  Which was why she had booked a private room in a small restaurant to have the two of them talk over the deal, with her to mediate.  "The wine list is short, but well-selected."  She assured her guests, as they both arrived.  "Though... I think they might just serve you juice, High Bar."  Her Manehattan family had started her out young in making her follow their footsteps.  On reflection, Spoiled quite approved.  Had to channel their youthful energy early, otherwise little fillies started getting ideas...

• Like 2

Although Rose didn't approve of Twilight's rather extremist parody of friendship, she was beginning to understand the sentiment. Having friends was nice, especially when they were sane and well-connected.

Seeing as this was a formal event- or as formal as Ponyvillains got- she opted to arrive dressed to impress. Usually, she'd have shown up in a suit, as was traditional for a creature of her station, but instead she arrived in a crimson backless dress. 

"A good wine is all I could ask for," Rose chuckled. "Although personally I would prefer my own Luna Rosa. The coasts know their trade ~"

Turning her attention to their guest of renown, she couldn't help but note their... Small stature. She didn't let this influence her opinion of the pony just yet, however. 

With a bow of her head and a curtsy, she smiled. "It is a pleasure to meet you, miss High Bar. I am Rose Compass."

• Like 1

High Bar had spent her time in Ponyville as wisely as she believed she could. That Rugby team was now well within the financial reach of her family. Her deals with the Mayor were progressing slower than she would have liked, but it would work well by the end. You didn't want to move too fast in these situations. It was more important to get your hooks in safely, subtly, more so than quickly. Let them think they ran everything. Let them understand as much as you wanted them to understand. Let them think the final decision was up to them. This Mayor Rich was smart and no prisoner of proper conduct. In time they would make beautiful business together, High Bar was sure of it. It would just take time. For now, she took this offer as good news.

The High family could do well by this alchemist. It would come down to just what it was she wanted out of the arrangement, but High Bar was confident. Indeed, there was little that could go wrong today. She even got a star on her homework. No one else got a star on their homework, not even that teacher's pet, Musiki. She trotted towards the restaurant with her head held high, her two burly bodyguards trailing her by a half hoofstep. One of them held her bright pink saddlebag. The other was happy to not do so. They made their way to teh restaurant. The unadorned fellow stood outside. The other walked in with her until they reached the private room. He gave her the saddlebag, which she put on and entered.

The Mayor was there. The Alchemist too- she would be an interesting one. She had heard a little of this Rose Compass, and she liked what she heard. "Pleasure to meet you too, Rose Compass. I am High Bar, and I am excited to hear what you're up to, and what you need," she said as she took her seat, looking at the Mayor. "Juice? Can't say that wouldn't be nice. I'm in more of a milk mood, though. My father always did say they helped make strong bones," she smirked. Yeah, and it had nothing to do with what they were doing to some juice imports out of the city. She opened her saddlebag and took out a folder, placing it down in front of her as she laid back, relaxed in her seat.

• Like 1

It wasn't much of a surprise, Spoiled supposed, that Rose preferred wine from her home country.  There just wasn't a whole lot of elegance to the local varieties; even when they had good taste, just not a lot of sophistication or prestige associated with them.  And that was honestly half the fun of drinking wine!

Any reply, though,  was forestalled by the one member of the party who could not drink wine in any case, and dear Celestia did High Bar have any idea how cute she looked?  Just the young filly trying to pull off the super-serious rich business-pony look with a school saddlebag and two bodyguards, just, just-

Just hurt.  It was like seeing a future she wanted for her own filly being lived out by somepony else's.  True, Diamond was more in the socialite than business elite line, to Spoiled's judgment, but still.  Here was a filly actually living towards her future!  It made the Mayor want to give her a hoof up towards that.  Hopefully tonight would give her the opportunity.  "Very well then, Waiter!  A bottle of the Canterbridge Valley '04, and a tall glass of milk.  The bread and butter will do for appetizers."  Having given the drink orders, the party took their seat.

"I don't know whether you prefer to begin with pleasantries before business, or to take the business first and relax afterwards, so I'll leave that to you.  Rose Compass has been doing some quite interesting and most valuable work lately, to which I can personally attest, and it occurred to me that having an urban distribution network for her products in Manehattan would be to mutual advantage.  I'll let her make her own pitch, of course."

• Like 2

"Thank you, Miss Rich," Rose nodded, smiling. Unlike the good Mayor, Rose felt the filly was doing a remarkable job being a mature... Well... Being mature. She was well beyond her years in that regard, or so it seemed at least.

She did have to wonder what the pink bag was for, though. After all, 'school bags' weren't a thing where she comes from, at least not school bags like these. 

"As you may know, I am an alchemist. I primarily create remedies for various ailments, as well as tonics and potions to enhance creatures in various ways. From increasing basic physical and mental attributes, to advanced healing, such as regeneration."

As if on cue, a labelled bottle appeared on the table, glowing a dull red eerily reminiscent of blood.

"It took some work-" and more than a few morally questionable choices "- but I've managed to create a potion that, for all intents and purposes, would allow you to restore lost limbs, or recover from grievous wounds." Another bottle appeared next to it, this one a jolly green... Like a frog. "Its progenitor works especially well on foals, but becomes less effective the older the creature is."

... She's getting ahead of herself here.

Clearing her throat into a hoof, she got back on track.

"Anyway, while I am thankful to S.T.A.R. for seeing to the production of my assets, I currently have no way of distributing them among the public. I hear you may be able to help with that?

• Like 1

High Bar smiled when the milk was ordered. Spoiled Rich was certainly doing well as Mayor, and she was doing even better at buttering up the little Mafioso princess. She wasn't against it. Anything they could do to form a better working relationship was a positive in her book, and being happy to be around each other was certainly one way of doing it.

The Mayor brought up the Family's 'urban networks'. Urban Networks, that was one way of putting it. Smuggling was another. The Bar family owned the underground distribution scene on Manehattan and they had a working presence in most of the city's top export targets. Evading authorities when it came to certain materials was never very difficult. Moving the product from one city to another was not out of their wheel house. When the materials were illegal or otherwise hard to mask they had to be more cautious. Security tended to focus far more on materials that could be dangerous to ponies to a much greater extent than normal smuggling. Fact was, the authorities rarely cared to ensure that every item on the shelf was obtained through all the proper channels. All they would have to do is sidestep the medical authorities who would normally tightly control the distribution of such potions. That was harder than the distribution otherwise.

She took the potion and studied it. She didn't know what she was looking at or fore, but she liked what she was hearing. She did note the involvement of this 'STAR', and she knew about Rose's friendship with the Princess of Friendship herself. She would have to tread carefully.

"Not to make too fine a point of it or anything, but it shouldn't be hard to sell. I'd imagine most alchemist shops or hospitals would kill to have it, right? So we can certainly go ahead and move it for you. We have networks that'd be able to ship it from the Fillypines to Saddle Arabia and everywhere in between. Can do it cheaper with a more reliable return on your product on a per bottle basis, to boot. A lot of...payments, lets say, that you don't have to deal with," she leaned back and put the potion down. "But that does make me wonder...why did you choose to come to us, and not go through more...official channels. Convenience? Profit? Legality?" She smiled. "Worried what Twilight Sparkle would say?"

• Haha 1

Spoiled was, for now, content to sit back and observe.  She had to say she was impressed by what she saw; her own experience gave her confidence that the changeling was no snake-oil salesmare, so those potions were likely the real deal.  Limb regeneration!  Who wouldn't brave the sketchier side of town to acquire such a thing?  And what was, really, the point of putting pointless barriers and taxations in front of its distribution, really?  Honestly, she was doing the whole world a favor here; High Bar would be moving her family towards a more virtuous line of business, which no doubt would lessen the sale of the cement horseshoes.

The waiter came back at this time with their drinks, placing a tall, cold glass of foamy milk in front of the filly, while uncorking the wine bottle and pouring two glasses out for Spoiled and Rose.  "Thank you very much.  We'll be a little while with our orders, I think; this is a bit of a working lunch."

• Like 1

Rose giggled into a hoof at the mention of Twilight. Oh, she's concerned about the Princess? "Oh, no, I'm not concerned about her."

"Let's say..." She paused, taking this moment to sample her drink. Hm. a little ripe. "Convenience. Equestria's healthcare professionals aren't interested in experimental drugs, even if they work."

Experimental drugs it was. Wasn't hard to suss it out of her or the potion, to be honest. It was rare someone approached the family to smuggle something out of the blue unless it was...well, out of the blue. Most of their smuggling concerned larger amounts of legal materials, but those tended to be targeted operations that they grew over time. In any case, she could work with this. "That depends on who the professional is, doesn't it? After all, not all doctors work in clinics or hospitals, after all. And not all...retailers, let's say, work with a license. In any case, I am assuming you want to get your potion into the hooves of ponies who need it, right? We can do that. How many of these potions can you make in a year?" She asked moments before the waiter came in.

Her head was burning. Not due to an illness, but trying to keep it all together. The nuts and bolts of it were all easy enough but she watched every word carefully, being so very adult in her manner of speech. It was important- she was reflecting the family, after all. Still, she licked her lips when her towering cup of milk was delivered to her. After the waiter left she took a big sip- drink- gulp and tehn let it down in her magical grasp, her milk covering her mouth. She used a napkin to clean her off. "Nothing better than some nice, fresh milk to set the mood!"

• Like 1

Oh, it was just so precious, Spoiled just wanted to pat little High Bar on the head and say what a good job she was doing!  If anything, it would relax the obvious signs of tension that were starting to build in the little filly's face.  But, that would probably embarrass the ever-loving heck of her, and that was a bad thing to do to a potential business partner (was there a slight pang of guilt at a memory of a time where Diamond had been deliberately dressed-down in public?).  At least the milk could cool her down, hopefully.  

Another sip of wine, then she distributed some bread and butter slices to each of the negotiators.  "Don't forget to take a look at the menu too.  The selection rotates frequently, so that everything is in season."

• Like 2

Aww, poor High Bar! Rose could practically feel the stress radiating from the filly. If only there was some way she could help her... 

Picking up her glass in her aura, she would take a dainty sip of her drink. Coincidentally, the next time Spoiled took a sip of her drink, she'd find it had a much richer flavor. Fruity. High Bar, however, would experience something quite different. 

While the milk remained white, what the filly would taste suggests it should be pink instead. 

"Thank you ~" Rose nodded towards Spoiled, taking a small bite out of the bread. Decent. "And I agree, Miss Bar! Nothing quite like a glass of milk ~

Rose giggled into her hoof, an impish gleam in her eyes, but she didn't say anything. 

"Now, as for the number... I estimate around six hundred. Most of my potions are eight ounces, although some of the more potent ones are four. There is such a thing as too much healing, after all."

The menu, yes. She was excited to see it. Truth was that Ponyville had been horribly disappointing from a food perspective. That was no real surprise to her. She came from Manehattan and was more than a little wealthy. Any given day she had access to the largest food scene in the world and access to the funds to have whatever she wanted. There was no limit to what she could indulge herself in. Ponyville, by comparison, was endlessly basic. Not bad by any stretch but she was used to so much more. Still, she did sit back with the menu and give it a good look. "What are you thinking, Mayor Rich? I might go for something light. Sandwich. Maybe soup," she wondered aloud as allowed her eyes to wander. It was a cut above the rest of Ponyville but it wasn't anything to write home about.

As she pondered what to get, she listened to what was being offered. The weight would work well. It would be easy to smuggle it around in any number of containers and pass it off. With any real luck they would be able to do it without changing much of their routes, either. "Small enough to move easily. That should prove no problem. How much do you believe each...eight ounce bottle costs you to make?" She picked up her milk. "Test it out yet on anypony?" she asked as she took a sip-

-her eyes went wide.
Was her milk poisoned?! Was it a TIME ACTIVATED ATTEMPT ON HER LIFE?
She reached into her saddlebag, clutched a pearl, and a magical bolt shot out. A moment later the guard wheeled in, looking around for threats. She peered out and saw an open glass on somepony else's table. She pulled it in and spit out the milk, wiping her tongue clear. She stamped both front hooves on the table and looked at her guard. "One of the wait staff must be trying to kill me using a time activated poison! The milk changed! Find that waiter and bring him here!" She seethed, the burly guard nodding and leaving the room as she sat down and looked at her two business partners.

• Haha 1

"I can recommend the cucumber caprese," Spoiled pointed out the item on the menu.  "It goes very well with a cup of the minestrone, though Prench Onion is also a safe bet."  Of course, trying to impress a Manehattan foodie was probably a lost cause, but she could at least show her town in the best light-

And then it all started to go wrong, the guard rushed in, she was spitting out the milk, and Spoiled was beginning to wonder how many of them were being surreptitiously sized for those concrete horseshoes.  "Please, Miss High Bar, what is it?  What did you taste?"  She shot a glance over at Rose, suspecting that she must have had something to do with it, since Mayor Rich herself certainly didn't, and she couldn't suspect the wait staff here of slipping poison here, either.

• Like 1

She knew it was rude, and probably reflected badly on her, but the mare simply couldn't help letting her humor show in a few light chuckles.

"Apologies," She said, hiding her smile behind a hoof. "That was me. You just appeared a little stressed, so I sweetened your drink." At this, she folded one hoof over the other, appearing as relaxed as ever as the milk turned a proper pink. "I really am sorry, Miss Bar. I did not mean to startle you."

I do sincerely apologize if I startled you as well, Mayor Rich, she added with a mental note. Here, her tone was more sympathetic. I suppose it is a bad habit of mine to indulge in such inappropriate behavior. 

• Like 1

High Bar's earns pinned back when the Mayor asked what she had tasted. She didn't know what she had tasted, technically. It could have been anything. The one thing she did know is that more than one member of her 'family' had succumbed to poisons and she was alert at all times to attempts on her life and those around her. And drink starting to go bad and taste weird that faste was a clear sign of an attempted assassination! "I tasted...an attempt on my life, that's what I tasted! It tasted normal and then it tasted fruity, like the poison is starting to activate. Pwahh!" She said as she started to clean off her tongue.

As she did so, the situation was explained. The alchemist altered her drink. Oh. Ohhhhh. That was strawberry. She loved strawberry. She loved loved LOVED strawberry milk. That would have been wonderful to know beforehoof. She stopped in the middle of cleaning her tongue off and blushed wide and bright. At that moment, the door opened and her guard had the waiter brought in, who looked around in confusion. She quickly brought up her menu, her horn aglow. "Uhh...we're ready to order now. I will take the...cucumber caprese with a cup of the minestrone," she said after a deep breath, putting her menu down. "Please."

She waited until after everypony else was finished ordering and the waiter scampered off.
"Uhh...apologies, I have to be careful. Please do not do that without telling me in the future. We want to avoid...incidents."

• Hearthoof 1

Well, at least the Mayor was right about one thing; Rose was certainly behind this kerfuffle, but at least it was nothing malicious.  "Ah, I see."  She said, with a sigh of relief, taking her seat once again.  "Miss Rose, your attention and initiative are appreciated, but do please keep in mind that some ponies are not inclined to take surprises well, even pleasant ones."  Her heart panged in sympathy with High Bar, honestly.  Little fillies should be happy when the milk is sweeter than usual.  Milk.... that brought back a memory she didn't want to think about right now.

Spoiled's own order was an echo of High Bar's, as the recommended dish really was excellent.  Once the waiter was gone, she continued, smoothing her mane back down and clearing her throat. "Well, with all that excitement over, I believe things were progressing towards quite a good deal?"

• Like 2

"I understand, Miss Bar," Rose politely inclined her head. "And it will not happen again, I promise. And I shall keep that in mind, good Mayor!" Here, she tittered, amusement still plentiful in her eyes. 

Rose wasn't really paying attention to the meal in particular, so she ordered whatever the other two were. She didn't need it for sustenance anyways. 

"Now, I have tested my potions, many times, and on different species. I'm confident nothing will go wrong should ponies follow common sense." She looked Mayor Mare's way at this, recalling what she had said about the age treatment. "There are other things I'd like to introduce to the public as well, but I have been... Dissuaded from such a notion. Tell me, little filly, how do you- personally- feel about the subject of aging?"

Sure it was slightly off-topic, but she was curious. Would anti-senex have a different effect on one so young? Well... She already knew the results were about the same, but would it have any mental affects?

• Like 1

High Bar nodded. "I believe we are, Miss Mayor. Mutually beneficial partnerships for all sides, I'd say," she offered a mock toast. They weren't there yet, but getting there and it allowed herself to relax ever slightly.

High Bar had to keep herself calm, cool, and collected. The more she thought about the whole ordeal the more mad she could see herself getting. If this mare could just randomly change the chemical contents of her drink then was High Bar ever really safe? She wasn't some stupid foal, no matter how she played it when she was around her teachers. She knew enough about the mare in front of her to know that she wasn't exactly the most stable individual ever. She had dealt with those types before, or at least had seen her father do so. There was nothing all that much strange about working with a pony who could kill you when business was involved. Came with the gig. But you at least could have some form of defense. Against the alchemist there was no defense. That would keep her on edge. Still, she was here to discuss and conduct business, no matter how strange it could be.

"Ageing? I dunno. It happens, I guess. It'd be nice to be able to drink, even better to not have to deal with some aspects of the big pony world," she said cloyingly at the end. "I know it is kind of in an area of business my family wouldn't deal with. Something something inviolabiles leges," she waved it off. "And so, not much of my concern either. Plus, I'd want to start with just one product before moving on. We don't want to move a lot of product and then have to sit on it, you don't want it to go to waste, and nopony wants to lose money," she said as she drank her strawberry milk.

She licked the milk from around her mouth before turning back to the Mayor. "Though Mayor Rich, that does make me wonder. I know you and I are conducting business. I can guess you two are conducting business. But what do you gain from bearing witness to...this arrangement," she asked, her eyebrows arched up in curiosity. Most of the time when such contacts were made they were made and the middle-mare wasn't involved in the actual meeting. Liability reasons, mostly. It was rare for that middle-mare to be so heavily involved, but High Bar wouldn't say it was unpleasant. Indeed, it was nice to have somepony...level-headed here.

• Like 1

A good deal indeed, but not an especially large one to start out with.  Made sense, you didn't want to go all-in with a new supplier until you knew their inventory moved.  Of course, if you were really good in your selection, you then had empty shelves with high demand... which was technically a better problem than full shelves with a low demand, but still made for unpleasant dealings with customers.  Spoiled Rich was about as far away from the shop floor as you could get, but whenever Barnyard Bargains ran out of that year's supply of Zap Apple Jam, the complaints reached as far as her ears.

"It might make sense for Rose to have another product on standby, just in case you have a spike in demand once word-of-mouth hits the streets.  If you're not prepared for the best-case scenario, it might as well be the worst case scenario."  She sipped her wine at that, pondering the filly's question as to why she cared.  Could she tell High Bar the real reason?  She didn't want to presume an intimacy that wasn't real; treating another pony's daughter as one's own could cause trouble.  "Partly, it's because I dislike being left out of the loop of any important developments in this town.  Some care for the details are essential..."  Deep breath, "And also, I've rather come to like you.  I want to see you succeed in life.  Too many young fillies these days are not taking the proper steps, either through neglect by or rebellion against their parents.  Given that you're here on your own... I want to just make sure things go alright for you."

• Like 2

Rose decided to pitch in as well, sharing some of her sentiments. "I second that. Despite the odds, you've conducted this exchange in a remarkably mature manner. Your parents should be proud ~"

The sea-colored mare smiled warmly. And then their food came out.

Admittedly, Rose hadn't been paying any attention to the menu, not what she was ordering. Some kind of salad, it looked like. And a simple one at that. 

"Hm." She took a bite. Not bad. "I do have to wonder, if you will excuse my curiosity, why it is that you are here in place of one of your elders." She redirected her attention over to Spoiled, then. "Is it not customary for Equestrians to wait until they are at least adolescent before undertaking such stressful tasks?"

• Like 1

It did make sense that the Mayor would want to keep her hooves close to the fire, the pulse of her town. It happened to most ponies anyway so it was smart to just do it first. Much better than being forced. "That's smart, Miss Mayor," she said as she finished her strawberry milk. She would be a good mayor to this town. She followed it up by saying that she liked High Bar. It was sweet. She liked being liked almost as much as she was told to like being feared, which was quite an accomplishment. "Thank you for the kind words. I...like this too," she said with a small amount of awkwardness. It was rare she got to share just some friendly words with somepony not shaded with pure business happenstance.

As she soaked in the goodness of one interaction she had ti turn her mind on another.
High Bar had been forced to grow up and grow up fast. Her father loved her but he never coddled her. He spoiled her, but he didn't save her from the knowledge of where that wealth and power had come from. She was given amazing education and had been worked hard, both there and in the hard knocks life of the family business. There were many expectations placed on her and she was forced to adhere to them. She had many of the same wants and desires as fillies her age- to run in the grass, stay up late and drink a lot of sugary drinks, play around and cause trouble. She just didn't have the time or ability to do so.

As for why she was here, that was another matter. Ponyville could potentially be important, yes. But her father and his associates handled business in Equestria's biggest city and were watched by the authorities. With all the threats he faced, it wasn't that odd to send a child off to a smaller town to be safe. Other legitimate businesstallions did the same. Law Enforcement didn't have the resources to track her in some small town like Ponyville. That made her an excellent candidate to conduct business like this. "Ha, well, that is nice of you to say, but the truth is I'm very nervous. I was just raised right and know how to handle myself, I guess. Maybe that's why my father chose me," she said, trying not to tell the truth: Ponyville was just too small time for hus physical efforts.

As her sandwich arrived, Spoiled took dainty but relishing bites, genuinely enjoying the food here, for what it was worth.  Which was more than what she paid for it.  Being married to Filthy had taught her the value of a bargain, at least.  

"Well, I think we've all concluded this deal fairly satisfactorily."  She beamed at Rose and High Bar, pleased that things had turned out so nicely between them.  She hadn't been sure how to best engage in dealings with the filly's family, but this seemed the... most defensible way, should anything get out.  Who could blame a mare for wanting the cutting edge in medical alchemy to reach the Equestrian public?
"So tell me, High Bar, how do you like school here?  Have you made... any connections among your peers?"  Spoiled could not *quite* bring herself to use the word "friends," Rose might notice.

• Like 2

An independent soul if she ever knew one. Rose most certainly approved, and expressed this through a satisfied smile and a nod. 

"Independence Is a valuable trait, Miss Bar," she said, feeding more on the modicum of affection between the two ponies in front of her than the salad she barely acknowledged. 

Noting Major Rich's unique choice of word, Rose chuckled into a hoof, eyeing the two with no small amount of humor.

"Friends, she means," Rose butted in. "As arbitrary a concept as that is, it does hold some merits."

• Like 1

Did she have friends? That was hard to say. She certainly thought she did but she knew better than to trust other ponies, and trust was important so did she actually have any friends? She had many ponies who hung around her. She had ponies she liked hanging around with. Her parties were never empty. But she knew that she was rich and important and plenty of ponies were attracted to that more than they ever could be to her. She was fine with that. She knew her role. She knew what that entailed. More than anything else she knew better than to put voice to the fear that she didn't want to feel as alone as she sometimes could feel, as cold as she often felt. 

How afraid she was of the reasons behind it all.
"Connections? Friends?" She said as she started eating her food, her brows furrowed. "In town? Ponyville? Eh, a few I guess. I prefer business partners. I'm new and I keep my cards close to the barrel most of the time. There's some nice ponies in town. Some older ponies- Silver Spoon I think was the name of one of them- tried to show me around town but I was too busy. Have to take them up on it soon, I think. I still have trouble finding Sugarcube Corner and I must have gained a few pounds the first week I was here just from that place."

• Like 1

"Oh, Silver Spoon is a friend of my daughter.  One of the right sort."  *Unlike certain other individuals.*  But this filly would certainly be a good influence on those two, forging better connections... and it had to be said, that even Spoiled Rich could not stand the thought of a little filly growing up entirely without friends.  "I'll have to introduce you to my daughter as well; consider yourself to have an open invitation to Rich Manor."  High Bar would likely have as much trouble with the word 'play' as she did with the word 'friend', but both were necessities for little ones.