Sugar-Dusted Rainclouds (Icy, Open)

Blueblood

It was a cold wet breeze that brought overcast skies to Maretime Bay, obscuring the sun for the first time a few weeks.  The breeze had not brought a downcast unicorn into town, nor had said unicorn brought the downcast weather, but both fitted each other to a T.

Gloomy Sonnet was a long way from home by now.  The damp air had by now pasted her dark purple mane over one eye, her hooves were sore from the walking, and her head was full of all the reasons this wouldn't work.  After all, if the newly-brightened Bridlewood had little use for a poet of melancholy, how much more a bustling town, full of Earth Ponies who literally had names like "Sunny?"

Still, it wasn't like things would get any better if she stayed at home, and Aphabittle had told her he wouldn't serve her any more tea until she at least tried, so she might as well get this whole "find a friend" thing a try.
The town did not give an auspicious sign to her venture, the immanent rain sending ponies indoors, leaving the streets mostly empty.  Coming into town, she brushed her mane back to uncover both eyes, looking around as she asked in a husky voice,

"Hello, Hello? 

Are you there?

Am I alone?"

The grey-coated mare naturally fell into a poetic meter when she spoke, but it didn't always rhyme.  Right now, though, she was making a picture more than a poem, center-framing a sighing unicorn drooping over empty streets, sky as grey as her hide.

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

Believe it or not, days like today were actually quite common this time of year. Just because it wasn't warm didn't mean they still didn't get weather off of the bay, and today, the overcast day seemed to be a product of that. They seemed to be blowing inland instead of out to sea. This time of year that could mean any number of things. Wind, rain, snow, all of the above, it was Maretime Bay. It would snow in the middle of summer if it wanted to. Sugar has seen it.

The chill in the air made it perfect weather for chili though, and that was why she was out and about amidst the impending storm. She needed the ingredients to make it. "Alright... I got the soy beef, the tomatoes, beans, and chili... All that's left is some cinnamon and that will be perfect!" She said with smile, licking her lips in anticipation. It was about them that she heard a voice from the main gates. It was a unicorn, and a mare if her build and hey voice was anything to go by.

She only barely caught the last bit about her being alone. After having already met with several members of different races, Sugar was already more at ease with approaching them, and she gave a soft smile as she approached. "Hello there!" Sugar started. "Welcome to Maretime Bay! My name is Sugar Moonlight! You said something about being alone?" she inquired. She wasn't entirely sure how far it was from here to Bridlewood, but from what she'd heard Sunny talk it wasn't close. To travel that distance alone had to be lonely, and she wanted to help her not be.

Most ponies didn't notice this, but grey skies and rain have an interesting affect on color.  Dark and muted hues are washed out, while bright and saturated colors are if anything enhanced by the setting.  

The first thing, therefore, that Gloomy noticed was the bright red and sparkling parts of Sugar Moonlight's mane as she approached.  She blinked, the comparatively muted rest of the mare coming into focus.  "I have traveled so far in the footsteps of another, hoping to find what they found.  And here you are, coming to my voice's sound."  She, with effort, managed a smile.  "I am Gloomy.  Gloomy Sonnet is my name, and often my mood and muse."  Best get that out of the way early; if this earth pony was yet another that didn't want her raining on their parade, neither should waste each other's time.

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

Sugar listened to the unicorn that had come into the city. She says that she was following in the hoofsteps of another and was looking for what she had found. She seemed quite different than Izzy. She was a lot more laid back and mellow. Sugar could get behind that. Being a model had it's perks and was quite lucrative, but enjoying something as simple as quiet time was good as well. She introduced herself as Gloomy Sonnet. She wasn't she why, but it fit her, and even more so when she said that it was often her mood and her muse. 

"Nothing wrong with that. After a long day at work that's a feeling I know well. Say, I was just about to finish up getting some stuff to make some chili. If you'd like, you're welcome to come and have some of you want. I'll have plenty," she said with a smile. 

Gloomy tilted her head at the offer.  "The chill outside, versus the chili inside.  Which will win, will my heart be warmed?"  Perhaps sensing that this might be a little too heavy of an implication to assign to a simple offer of hospitality, the mare broke her expression into a smile, deflating slightly.  "Well, it's worth a try.  I'll be happy to come."  Getting back to her hooves, she made to follow Sugar Moonlight to her house.

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

Sugar would smile and nod at the uniquely worded question. "Most definitely! I'll be there first to admit that I don't make my chili as spicy as some. Mine tends to be sweeter, but that's okay. Chili is one of those dishes that everypony does just a little bit different to give it the flavor they desire," she said, her smile brightening when she heard Gloomy say that she would join her. "Great! I just have to make a quick trip over here to one of the other spice vendors to pick up a cinnamon stick. My go to spice store was out. Then we can head back to my place and share stories and the like while it's cooking," Sugar said happily.

Sweet Chili?  "That... sounds like one of Izzy's recipes.  She sometimes pitches them to Alphabittle as suggestions to serve in the tea shop.  They're always... interesting."  She herself wasn't one to put honey in her tea, as it were, but cinnamon chai went better with sugar, so maybe this was more like a chai chili?  She could get behind that.  She was a mare that respected creativity and the personal touch.  Sugar looked like she would as well, but it didn't hurt to make sure...  "I wonder what you'd say to Izzy if she suggested something like... Sarsparilla strawberry chili chimichangas?"  

Moonlight watched the earth pony's face carefully.  The smile... it seemed natural to her face.  More natural than when Gloomy tried it in the mirror.  *No, bad!  Don't get too self conscious, you'll fall into your cloud again!*

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

When Gloomy mentioned the recipe sounded something like what Izzy would come up with, she raised an eyebrow for a moment. "Really now? I would have thought she would have been more of a pepper spice pony, though I can see that as well. I've never really interacted with her myself but she seemed quite energetic from watching her with Sunny. Though that could easily be overflow off of her. Sunny has a very infectious personality," she commented. It was true though, especially now. Whatever Sunny was feeling was usually emulated by the ponies that were around her. Given how everything has happened recently it wouldn't surprise Sugar if it was Sunny running Maretime Bay before long instead of Phyllis.

Her head tilted a bit tough when Gloomy asked and a sarsaparilla strawberry chili chimicamigawas or however she said it. "Well... The sarsaparilla strawberry chili doesn't sound too bad. It's hard to imagine a spicy strawberry though. But before I can fully answer that question, I must ask one of my own..." Sugar said, giving pause. "What is... A chimichacura... Or however you say it?" she asked.

Gloomy tilted her head.  "I have always seen her like she is.  But before her smile was not untouched with melancholy, for she was bright but alone.  Now, Bridlewood smiles with her, and it is I who am alone."  She hadn't spent much time with Sunny, though that earth pony definitely was what she would consider leadership material.  She saw it with that game with Alphabittle; no other pony could get him to bet so high, and end up on the winning end of that deal.  Perhaps this Sunny did not merely influence, but emphasize the personalities of others.

Sugar's question of Chimichangas, if anything, made Gloomy's face more drawn and solemn.  "A chimichanga/ not made in anger/ fillings in dough rolled flat to fry.  Taken in with hunger/ like regrets they linger/ weighing down from behind."  The poem was punctuated by a look back towards her flank, where such heavy foods ended up if indulged in.  The unicorn's face remained in position as she looked back to Sugar Moonlight, but the light of the spice shop, just as they were entering, would have shown in her one visible eye a sparkle of what might actually be a sense of humor!

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

Sugar could understand where Gloomy was coming from. After all, when you were around a pony all the time you would learn more about them. Something that Sugar hoped that she could do with her new friend here. She also couldn't help but feel a bit of sympathy for both. Izzy would have definitely been like Sunny in the fact that she would have been the outcast of Bridlewood. Sunny to would have that same smile on her face around town even when others ignored her. Still, she admired her for sticking with what she believed in. This meeting that was occurring now would not be possible otherwise. "Then it is no wonder that she got along with Sunny as well as she did. They were basically the same pony but in to different spots," she smiled.

She then noted that Gloomy's face became more solemn as she described the chimithings. Apparently they were a pastry. She watched her expressions before watching her turn her head back towards her flank, as if to accentuate the weighing down line. Sugar found herself following her gaze before realizing that she was staring just a bit longer than she anticipated. She quickly moved her eyes back up and smirked a bit from the look in Gloomy's eyes. "Oh, it's one of those kind of treats. I think we call them turnovers here. But they have the same effect. Too many of them at once can definitely lead to a plump rump," she smiled as they entered the spice shop, their nostrils immediate assaulted by the smells of various spices.

Sugar Moonlight had been quick to jerk her gaze up, but not quite quick enough to escape Gloomy's notice.  The unicorn didn't comment on the attention, aside from a raised eyebrow, and maybe a hint of a smile?  That indicated interest was certainly something she would remember, even if it wouldn't be acted on right away.  She'd have to be cautious with any potential reciprocation as yet; they were but strangers ten minutes ago.  "Turnovers?  Hm, a plainer word, but a clearer one."  She replied, as a mare used to working with them as her work-tools.

She followed Sugar into the shop, taking in a deep breath of the scent laden air... and sneezing.  "Choo!"  Her beret fell forward, covering her other eye, and she had to scramble with her hooves for a bit to put it right, before pausing, then lighting up her horn to set the hat back in place.  "I keep forgetting what I can do.  Does anything of the sort happen to you?"  She tilted her head, looking over Sugar curiously.  "I... don't see anything that you wouldn't have been able to use without magic.... unless your mane didn't always sparkle."

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

Sugar was thankful that at least if Gloomy did catch her staring, she didn't make to much of a scene about it. She noticed a raised eyebrow and a smirk, but that was about it. Thankfully they moved onto the topic of the turnovers. It seemed that Gloomy liked that word better as she said it was a plainer word, but clearer all the same. "And definitely easier to pronounce," Sugar giggled. "At least for me anyway. I've always taken a simpler approach to things. Especially since up until recently everything in my life seemed to be pretty demanding," she added.

She was about to turn her attention to the shop clerk to ask where they kept they're cinnamon sticks when she heard Gloomy sneeze. It seemed like a gentle sneeze, but was enough that her sonnet came down over her eye. She watched her panic for a moment before she paused and she watched her horn light up. Sugar was immediately mesmerized by the sight. Inside she was still a bit worried about magic, but the more she'd been around ponies of different types, the more she'd found her fears becoming more and more farfetched. Most ponies seemed to be pretty much the same despite their differences. Now that she was watching it up close, she couldn't stop watching it. 

She then heard Gloomy say that sometimes she forgot that she could do that now, and then asked if there was anything like that that happened with here. She further added that she didn't see anything around that couldn't be accomplished without magic, before commenting on how sparkly her mane was. "Yeah, I wish I could call that magic. Magic would make mornings easier, but no, the sparkle is naturalish, it's from the shampoo and conditioner I use. It basically infuses glitter into my mane and tail. The modeling agencies, and by agencies I mean Canterlogic, looked the look, and honestly I do as well, even if it's somewhat hard to maintain," she smiled.

"But no, we didn't get any magic or anything of the like from the sparkly explosion. If we did, I don't know what it was. All I know is unicorns got magic, pegasi got flight, and we got friends. Which is an okay trade for me," Sugar added with a smile before turning to the clerk. 

"Hey Saspy! Do you have any Cinnamon Sticks in? Vanilla Bean was out," she asked.

"Shampoo?"  Gloomy tilted her head at the answer, somewhat amazed that something so spellbinding could have so mundane an explanation.  Then again, Izzy always did say that there was magic in glitter, so... maybe there was something there?  "Well, your sparkle certainly shines as bright as your mane.  And I'd be surprised if it did so... before.  Most ponies' didn't."  And as for her being a model... "Canterlogic must know what makes a good looking mare.  Do they make the shampoo?"  She was a good advertisement for it.

For now, though, she'd have to wait for the transactions to finish.  It seemed that they were in stock, at least, of the necessary ingredient, so that wouldn't take long.

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

Sugar could almost hear the look of surprise that Gloomy had when she said shampoo. She then heard her add that her sparkle shined about as brightly as her mane did, but would be surprised if it had before. She was going to ask what she meant at first, but then she vaguely remembered hearing other unicorns mention it, so she must have been talking about some aura thing that only they could see. She wondered if it was somehow tied into the earth pony magic of olden times, but even then she wouldn't know what to look for. Her thoughts were interrupted though as Sarsaparilla answered that they did have it and that they would have it right out. Thankfully she didn't seem to be too upset that she wasn't her first stop. It wasn't anything against her spices, Vanilla Bean was just closer. 

Once she had it, and paid for it she turned back to Gloomy, who had commented on Canterlogic knowing how to make a pony look good and asked if they were who made the shampoo. Sugar sighed and hung her head. Welp, it was fun while it lasted... she thought to herself. She couldn't lie to this pony, so far she had proven to be nothing but nice and very unique. She liked that! and she certainly wasn't going to lie to the poor mare to save her own image. "No... actually. I get this shampoo from Mayweather's spa. It's right after you get in town by the main gates. Canterlogic itself... isn't a good company, or at least it wasn't. I thought it was before, but looking back on it now... they were the ones that was distributing most of the lies about unicorns and pegasi. The were the ones that were telling ponies that the unicorns would read their thoughts, which I suppose isn't entirely wrong. If you can read sparkles or auras then you could get an idea of what a pony is thinking based on their emotions. But the second part is just plain ludicrous and I feel horrible for ever believing it, let alone at one point playing an active role in supporting it. They said that unicorns shot lasers from their horns and would fry the brains of any earth pony that looked at them. Canterlogic used these fears to profit, making items that, thinking back on, probably didn't actually work for our protection..." she started, pausing to take a breath. 

"Products that I used to be first in line to model for. Like a metal hat that was supposed to ward off the mind reading abilities, which... wasn't tested..., or Pegaboots, that were so heavy not even we could move in them. Thankfully they moved that to an automated display because there was no way I could model those. But after what they became... and after what I saw the ones who run Canterlogic do... I can't trust them anymore, and I used to help them, so I don't know what that says about me... All I know is, I don't want to be part of something that will hurt others. That's not who I am..." she said, hanging her head once more. 

There was something of an air of confession about Sugar Moonlight's tone.  Gloomy had hears such things before, many a unicorn had burst forth the dammed gates of their soul over a fourth cup of tea in Alphabittle's lounge, though it was a little unusual to hear such in the middle of a shop floor.  Still, the unicorn would treat this mare with the seriousness she felt all such deserved, and comment not until she could think of a way to rhyme it.  "Darker things in the heart than sorrow/ you seek to leave for a bright tomorrow."  That about said it.  More than that... well.  It wasn't as if she was guiltless of believing unflattering untruths about Sugar's own tribe.  Best such nonsense was left in the past, where it belonged.

She reached out a hoof, touching under the other mare's chin to push her head back up.  "But happier times are in your view/ I just hope you'd take me there too."  It felt a little... forced to her.  Positive emotion didn't come naturally to her, and everything said in that vein just sounded like doggerel to her.

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

The somber tone in the atmosphere of the shop left a feeling in the air that was so thick, it could be cut with the proverbial knife to go with it. Thinking about it, a spice store probably wasn't the best place for this, but this was where the question was asked and to postpone the answer might have lead to it not being answered. When she heard Gloomy speak, telling her in her own way that the remorse that she felt would pave the way forward, before further staying that she was hoping to be part of that path. She felt the hoof under her chin, and she couldn't help but smile when she looked into Gloomy's eyes. Well, the eye that she could see anyway.

"For a brighter tomorrow indeed," she said, reaching up and giving her new friend a gentle hug. She then stepped back and smiled. "And I would love to have you be a part of that path with me. I'm always up for making new friends, and learn everything I can about what everypony else is actually like. Though it is kind of poetic in a way, earth ponies being so afraid that the others were monsters, that they themselves turned into the monsters they feared. Perhaps you can use something like that in your work! Maybe worded in a way where the story could serve as a warning that to much hate and distrust can turn you into the very thing you're afraid of," Sugar smile, hoping her new friend looked the idea as she paid for the cinnamon and then held the door for her. 

To Gloomy, the sudden, gentle hug obviated anything she negatively said about Earth Ponies.  Did Sugar have any idea how long unicorns went without hugging each other, or showing affection?  Or how unfamiliar it was to Gloomy still?  Unfamiliar, perhaps, but quite nice.  Ponies in the old days must have been very tactile with each other, with how natural it felt.  "Oh, yeah, I guess it is ironic.  Life itself is the original poet, after all."  Not wanting her new friend to put her own kind too down, the unicorn felt the need to reciprocate.  "And it works both ways.  We always thought earth ponies stank, but you smell nicer than anypony I've met."

Was that too much?  She wasn't sure; it sounded a little to intimate, but she'd have to judge the reaction Sugar had as they walked out the door.

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

Sugar could once again almost feel the surprise in Gloomy. It was almost as if the poor unicorn had never been hugged. She also had a point about life being the original poet. She also took it a step further, sharing some of the beliefs that unicorns had about earth ponies. Or at least one of them, saying that they all thought they stank. To which Gloomy added that she smelled nicer than everypony that she'd met prior to. She gave a soft smile and a blush. "Thanks, you smell pretty nice yourself. Kinda reminds me a the tea I drink at home. Speaking of which, I can make some for us to enjoy while the chili is cooking if you'd like," she smiled, stepping back out into the brisk air. The chill was intensified by the breeze off of the bay. She could also feel the light sprinkle of rain starting to fall. Yup, definitely a good day for making friends and eating chili. 

Her grey cheeks colored pink from her blush, Gloomy bashfully glanced towards the floor.  "Th-thanks, must be because of where I spend- spent most of my time.  I sometimes wonder if I should find something else to do.  Nopony seems to enjoy my poems much anymore..."  She tried to shake her morose thoughts out of her head.  That didn't help too much, but she followed Sugar out; hopefully spending some time in her home would do so.

Wrapping her scarf a little more tightly around herself to ward the chill, Gloomy followed Sugar closely, keeping her eyes on the bright sparkling mane and tail to guide the way.

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

The blush and the bashful look didn't go unnoticed by Sugar. If anything it was quite cute and adorable to watch. That that Gloomy wasn't cute other times! She had after all, been caught staring at Gloomy's flank as a result of her words earlier. At the moment, she listened as she spoke about her scent was probably because of where she had spent most of her time, but was looking for a new recourse since it seemed most ponies didn't like her poems anymore. To this Sugar had to pause. "Sounds a bit like myself now. I'm in between jobs as well because I don't want to be a model for a warmongering company anymore. And if it makes you feel any better, I like your poems. I find them cute and charming, and even with the brief time I've met you I can tell they are a part of who you are. If you love being a poet, then a poet you shall be! Perhaps you just need a new audience. That's an adventure that we can both embark on together," she said, leading her through the streets to her humble little house. Unlike her mane and tail, it didn't have glitter everywhere and looked somewhat plain by comparison.

It was of no small comfort to Gloomy to know that she was not alone in her feelings of out-of-placeness with her employment.  And Sugar's compliments did nothing to stop the unicorn from blushing!  "I... understand.  At least for me, I'd be quite glad to work for Alphabittle again, but he's the one who sent me out here.  He said it would do me good to find a friend."  A deep, quick breath to muster courage.  "And he was right, in the end.  I'm glad I found you, Sugar.  I think you'll be a good friend."

Once the pair arrived at Sugar's House, Gloomy had to admit she was somewhat relieved at the plainness of the surroundings.  Izzy made cute art, but her abode was far too glittery for her tastes.  "Do... you have a tea set somewhere?  Is it porcelain or cast iron?"

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

Sugar was quick to notice that the blush never really faded from the face of her new friend. She told her that she understood. That at least for her, she would love to go work for Alphabittle again, but he was the one that told her to come out and make some friends, saying that it would do her well to find a good one. She added that in the end she felt that he was right and that she was happy that she found herself. She smiled warmly when Gloomy said that she thought that she would make a good friend. "Well then, I will do everything I can to make sure I can live up to those good friend qualities," she said with a smile, giving Gloomy a nuzzle.

She then heard Gloomy ask if she had a tea set somewhere, and if she did if it was cast iron or porcelain. The question made Sugar scoff playfully as they made their way inside. "Well, the only correct answer is porcelain. Cast Iron tea sets are for ponies that either lack taste, or enjoy the taste of metal in their tea. Porcelain all the way!" Sugar said with a smile, though internally hoping that Gloomy was also a porcelain pony when it came to tea. Otherwise, the inside was just as plain as the outside. There were some The sofa had a lot of glitter on it, but a pony could tell it was because it was where Sugar usually sat. She also had a simple television, and a couple plain lamps that lead into an open kitchen with basic tile floors. "Welp, this is my home! It's nothing fancy compare to some of the others, but that just means that there's less to take care of," she smiled.

"Well, the only correct answer is porcelain. Cast Iron tea sets are for ponies that either lack taste, or enjoy the taste of metal in their tea. Porcelain all the way!"

Gloomy's ears visibly drooped on hearing that.  She was prepared, and even somewhat excited, to talk about her own personal tea set, a golden cast-iron pot with a cute dragon pattern all around!  And honestly, if it added any taste of metal in her tea, she never noticed.  But to hear it all be so casually dismissed was... a little dismaying.  "Oh..."  She replied softly, looking to the floor again.  "They have advantages.  They do not break when dropped, unlike a heart."

Cast once again into moroseness, she took a seat on the couch, neither noticing nor caring about the glitter.

~~~Sugar Moonlight~~~

Welp, as soon as Sugar saw the ears drop on the Gloomy's head she knew she stepped in this one. She watched as she made her way over to the couch and sat down, and she couldn't help but wince a bit at the words. Yup, definitely stepped in it here. "I suppose that is one advantage. I actually can't recall the number of times I've had to buy a new one because I put it in the sink too early and it broke just because of the temperature difference. I guess it just comes down to how they are made. I did try an iron one at one point, but it was either poorly made or made out of bad iron cause the only thing I tasted was the metal and not the tea. Maybe unicorns have refined the process, so their tea pots aren't so bad?" She said, hoping to at least somewhat smooth the roads. She didn't want their friendship to go sour now just because she tried to be cheeky with a tea response.

Gloomy sniffed, looking back up at Sugar.  She was still a little hurt, but she could recognize the effort at restitution.  In some respects, she valued such efforts more than apologies, as mere apologies were easy to fake.  "Yeah, we are pretty good at making stuff.  But part of it also is that you need to coat the inside, like an iron cooking pan.  You don't scrub the inside, you let it build up.  They're meant to last, you know.  Mine belonged to my grandmother."  She tried to smile, but it was harder than before.  The effort was still being made, though, as she too did not want an incipient friendship to falter at the first hurdle.  It would still be some time before she felt confident enough to invite Sugar to her house for tea, though.