An Unusual Changeling

FireyIce

Star gave the whole exchange the raised eyebrow.  "Psionics?  I suppose that makes sense, but I've never a reformed changeling use the technique; I had thought that you lost it along with your original hive connection."  She wasn't complaining, made the whole thing a lot simpler.  "There's quite a few ponies who'd be more than happy to have you on their team, I can tell you that much."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I would be happy to help whoever I can. Now, while this word and letter salad turns into a understandable report, shall we get to know each other?"

*As he laid down, keeping his horn lit, he noticed the prisoner beginning to stir*

"One moment, Miss. Star."

*Sending a pulse of calm and relaxation into the mare, she sighed and got into a more comfortable position*

"Now she's down for the count."

Star Crusader snorted a bit at the blow.  "Were I here in official capacity as an REA officer, I'd have to reprimand you for abuse of a captive.  As it is, I will only advise that restraint within a cell like this should be sufficient.  Even if you need to be on the spot for the translation spell, I'm more than capable of restraining the prisoner myself."

She took a seat on the floor of the cell, making a visible dent in the padded flooring.  "Well, what would you like to know?  I'm not usually given to small talk when on duty."

Star tilted her head a bit, thinking over things.  "Well, I suppose they would want to know that I am the firstborn to the Duchess of Fet Loch, though I was largely kept out of noble affairs in the capital.  Mother isn't... refined, and quite proud to stand out.  She left me and my younger brother to choose our own paths, and I wanted to be an upholder of justice.  To this end, I joined the REA as soon as I could.  I don't regret it... but as an organization, I don't think it always works.  I wanted a posting that would give me a little more leeway to go after evildoers without getting bogged down in paperwork.  So, I was transferred out of the official chain of command, and into a posting as part of House Platinum's Honor Guard, while being on call for special operations missions.  Which generally meant, that while I wasn't being sent on missions, I acted as Prince Blueblood's Bodyguard."

That wasn't the whole story, but she waited to see what Firey's reaction was to the first part.  That was usually telling about how well they would receive part two...

"Well, I can certainly understand about not following in your family's hoofsteps, nor wanting to be bogged down in rules and paper when chaos and flames are ruining them."

*He giggles at a sudden memory*

"I remember a time when I was with some griffins deep inside their sole national park, with a duo of warrior guides. We had to follow this absurd path in the air and on the ground, even when the air currents were forcing us to adjust in order to not get smashed against the ground or canyon walls.

The group of griffins under this commanding duo finally rebelled when we nearly got killed because they refused to let us ambush a creature that was trying to kill us."

*He sighs*

"The love that they gave me after I subdued them was- I didn't have to eat for a week! Oh my, I've derailed your train of thought, haven't I? Sorry about that, Miss. Star!"

Star shrugged.  "It wasn't so much that I didn't want to follow in my family's hoofsteps; my mother never made that an issue of conflict."  Hearing his story in return, though, did cause her expression to tilt downward ever so slightly.  "I am afraid I do not quite follow.  Did they love you because you led a revolt against stupid orders?"  She hoped that was the case.  Because if not, Firey had just expressed an unreserved delight at a memory of forced love extraction, which Star would call an evil act.  Not the smartest of things to do in front of a pony who was literally a Crusader for Justice.

In any case, she continued the story.  "Well, I became Prince Blueblood's bodyguard at what might be called a pivotal point in his life.  He was starting his efforts to promote international peace and economic cooperation, at the same time dealing with some personal issues regarding magic and gender identity.  We grew close as I helped him through both of those.  Quite close, as a matter of fact."  She raised a wing, showing a golden band around the base that signified marriage among pegasi.

*His eyes widened in surprise.*

"I heard from a very recent acquaintance that Prince Blueberry was to be married. I was unaware that I was talking to his fiancee.

Also, I was referring to the free love that the group gave me after I landed the final blow that knocked out those two suicidal jerks."

*He glances at the decoder*

"Over halfway there, Miss. So, after you and Mr. Blueblood have gotten married, are you going to still be in the group you're in on the 'front lines' as it were, or will you move to a more advising role?"

"Ah, in the future, it might be advisable to be more clear and precise in whom you are referring to before you just say 'they.'  Ambiguities are the death of communication."

Star replaced her flared wing against her side, preening one of the feathers back into place before rustling them a bit.  "And I am not his fiancee, I am his wife.  We had our herd-forming ceremony last year.  I don't intend to stand down to a mere advisory role, but I rather suspect my family will keep me at home more."  She nodded back towards their prisoner.  "Trouble comes to me enough, it seems, so I'm not staying idle either way."

"Apologies, Ma'am."

*Another glance. 80% there.*

"Should this message be more threatening than just an attempt at sowing chaos throughout Equestria, what should we do?"

*He began running through his head various situations they could encounter, including her being a traitor. Unpleasant, but experience told him that nothing should be shelved until it is shown to be absolutely, unequivocally, and in all other ways, inconceivable. And even then, to make sure to keep it in hoof's reach*

Stoic as she always was, Star Crusader's expression grew more serious upon these considerations.  "We mobilize what forces we can in response to the threat.  I will have to stay in town, but I don't mind putting together a posse; there's several capable ponies in this town I'd have at my back in a pinch.  If it spreads to other cities, we'll have to spread word through channels both official and unofficial.  As well as notifying King Thorax as well; I'll leave the diplomacy to my husband, though."

"Good plan. Now, let's take a look at what this saboteur was trying to send."

*The length of decoding wasn't about the length of the message, it was about the strength of the- BOOM! He was hurled back from the intensity of the transmission, which imprinted in his mind:*

OUT OF THE SHADOWS, INTO THE LIGHT. HIVE.

*His face turned white and his eyes widened while his pupils constricted and his breath grew faster and harder*

Star shot out a wing to catch Firey as the message shot through his head, coming out loud and clear.  She wasted little time in rapping out an incohate but clear response on the prisoner's noggin, shutting any attempt at transmission back down.  "Well, if that wasn't a wake-up message to sleeper cells, then I'm a hippogriff.  I think the anti-magic padding on the cell walls kept it from getting out, but I'm not taking chances.  Let's get out, we have to get the word out."

*He nodded while operating on his developed warrior instinct, binding the Changeling with his Fear Spell and darting out of there into the Harmony Throne Room, fighting down long suppressed hive instinct while bowing to the now stoic-faced Princess who was in conference with her friends*

"Your Majesty! I am Firey Ice, a reformed Changeling, who have just captured an unreformed Changeling with the help of one of your soldiers, Star Crusader. We have decoded a message that she was attempting to send to sleeper cells. It was, 

On 3/11/2022 at 3:25 PM, FireyIce said:

OUT OF THE SHADOWS, INTO THE LIGHT. HIVE.

And we need your help to uncover any potential sleeper cells in Ponyville and beyond, as the blast, by my reckoning, would have been strong enough to shatter her horn and skull, sending it over Ponyville, Canterlot, and a bit more!"

Weighed down with heavy armor, Star Crusader was built for power, not for speed.  Thus, she only arrived while Princess Twilight was just wrapping up the assignment based on Firey's report.  "Ah, there you are, Captain.  Just as I was saying to Firey here, this is concerning information, so I am authorizing a special task force to investigate and deal with this.  I'm inclined to give you responsibility to put together and run this force, and grant all due authorization to Firey to act as Special Auxiliary.  This won't interfere with your... regular duties?"

Star saluted, accepting the orders.  "Your Majesty, between Dunnie and Niilaavin, I believe the Prince's security to be as good as it can be, even given this current threat.  My place is to guard against it, and deal with such threats before they come home."

"Very Well, good luck to the both of you!"

~**~

The pair would be sent off, with the imprecation that there was little time to lose.  "I know of one who can help us, from the Honor Guard.  Do you have any others?  I don't want more than four on the squad, we don't want to let on that we know too much."  She and Firey were still in the castle, but headed out towards the guard barracks in the back.

*Tapping his muzzle in thought, a literal lightbulb went off over his head*

"And that's not the last of the gags and humor, folks! La la la la la la!"

*Shaking his head at the humorous mare as she ponked her way out of the castle, he replies*

"I do. She's a sneaky son-of-a-birdbrain, but she'll do what's right. RIGHT, MISS.-?!"

*His mouth gets slammed closed by air while the sound of a griffoness snaring came from near in his face, two grey eyes glaring at him*

"You promised to NEVER say that name!"

*He smirks as the power to her gems were fully siphoned away, revealing a grey and brown griffon.*

"I wasn't, Sharpfeather. Star Crusader, Sharpfeather. Sharpfeather, Star Crusader. Meet the best warrior besides moi that I've ever met in all my travels. Apparently-."

"'Apparently', nothing! I'm off, getting food, and then I hear that y-you were a-al-almost K-KILLED by a bucking jerk Changeling!"

*She hugs him fiercely, while he's struggling to not draw his sword as bad memories rush through his head.*

<Queen kisser!>

<Love Horder!>

<PONY BUCKER!!>

Sharpfeather, eh?  Star Crusader gave the griffon a once-over, noting the interactions between the two.  She was no changeling, but it was quite clear to her the pair was close.  How close, she couldn't say, though if that hug was any indication...

She let them alone for a bit, letting Firey ease through his triggered memories, while she hunted through the barracks for a certain earth pony...

*After a short timewith Sharpfeather rubbing his back and whispering comforting words in his ears, he relaxes. With her by his side, they begin to make their way to the barracks, the griffiness becoming invisible once again halfway there and silently riding on Firey's back, continuing to whisper to each other*

"So, who's the pegasus?"

"A fellow warrior who helped me capture that unreformed Changeling and find out that she's apparently a part of a conspiracy to sow chaos throughout Equestria."

"... How are we not sure that she's a part of it? Changeling magic, and all that."

*They come upon her and an Earth pony talkingIce subtly motions for her to be quiet as the two refocus on him*

"My friend had something else to do in the meantime. Who's this?"

Tiger had been training when Star walked in on him. His movements those of somepony who was used to less than clean fights, of using what was available to enhance his attacks and fight off wild creatures and arena opponents alike. It was good practice for his sparring partner though, dirty fighting was pretty expected from criminals. After coming out on top, Tiger helped the other stallion back up and turned towards Star, smiling and tossing his head to shake out his mane a bit. 

“Hey Star, what’s up? Got a special assignment for me or something?” He asked, clearly not too concerned about being informal with his boss’s wife. One of them, at least. He raised an eyebrow as an unfamiliar figure walked in not long later, giving a quizzical look to Star about that one. 

Not exactly a stickler for military formality herself, Star kept herself short in describing the situation.  "Some unreformed changelings are causing trouble, a big kind of trouble.  Twilight tasked me with putting together a task force to deal with it.  I know you're good in irregular situations, and I have a notion that this could escalate quickly."  Stepping back, she made introductions.  "Tiger Blood, these are Firey Ice and Sharpfeather, the other two members.  Firey was instrumental in discovering this plot, and vouches for his friend.  Between us, we should be ready to get started.  Firey, were you able to decipher any more usable intel from our prisoner?  Was her message broadcast, or was it aimed at particular recipients?"

*Firey felt the invisible Sharpfeather tense on this back, then quietly release a breath and become visible*

"Let's make one thing clear before he answers: I'm only helping because Firey is a part of this."

"To answer your question Miss Crusader, there was only the short message that I received, and since Changeling magic isn't pony magic, I'm afraid that it was successfully broadcasted to every unreformed Changeling in Ponyville and Canterlot. The reason I was able to receive it was due to my proximity to the blast and because I decoded it.

As to the intel, the word, "Hive", is code for chaos, as our hive is chaotic for anycreature that's not a Changeling. The chaos that's about to envelope these two cities could take any form, from companies collapsing to "random" killings to kidnappings, as well as almost anything else. We'll also have to keep an eye out for other broadcasts over other cities."

Tiger hummed as the others explained the situation, looking over the two newcomers. It wasn’t very often you saw a griffon using magic, at least he assumed that invisibility was magical in nature, so that was interesting. His thoughts kinda drifted while Firey laid out what chaos meant, the griffon’s body taking up the forefront of the thoughts. He shook himself out of that quickly, focusing on the task at hoof and turning to grab his spear. 

“Yeah, that definitely sounds like something to stop before it really gets started. It also sounds like we should get started as soon as we can, so let’s go do it.” He said, nodding to them to lead the way. He was ready to get going and find these changelings before they did something big. 

• 2 weeks later...

Star Crusader nodded briefly at Sharpfeather's protestations; there wasn't much expectation of trust to begin with, and griffons were notoriously prickly in general.  Exceptions existed, but beyond personal friendship with Firey the catbird would have little connection to the operation as such.  That was fine, she'd worked with mercenaries before and they were even less trusting.  Coin was a weaker bond than personal loyalty.

"Agreed, Tiger, no time to lose.  Unfortunately, it seems that we're starting from behind the ball intel-wise, as it seems that undetected unreformed cells may exist anywhere, and the time it takes to tell the difference between random chaos and instigated chaos is difficult at the best of times and places."  She pursed her lips.  "When done competently, at any rate.  Firey, I trust you have a working knowledge of the infiltrator's modus operandi?  Any prominent agents you know of can be cross-checked against a list of all reformed and apprehended changelings, which would be at least some starting point in investigation."

He nodded.

"Most never do things partway. They always aim for the furthest extent of chaos as possible, which means replacing the highest position possible and then sowing chaos throughout the company or city using the company. I've heard of those types of Changelings being inserted into the chemical and book companies of Manehatten and Canterlot, as well as the companies of Ponyville's own Filthy Rich.

Of course, there are those who would rather sow chaos at ground level, which means random killings, poisonings, magical bombs like that one in Sugarcube Corner today, and so on."

Sharpfeather spoke up.

"I believe I spotted one of those "groundlings" while I was eating in one of his restaurants, the Prancing Pony, but I can't be totally sure."

• 2 weeks later...

“Well, any lead is better than nothing, I say we go check out that Prancing Pony sighting. Or at least some of us while the others go a different way like patrolling to cover more ground. Since we don’t have much to go off of, we kinda need to spread out until we have something to focus in on.” Tiger said, starting to move towards the door to head to the restaurant. It was as good a place as any to start out, even if it was likely to be a cold trail by this point.