A Pleasant Surprise [closed; Aloe, Lotus, Rose,]

Aisede

Rose was just seeing their last customer out when break time rolled around. Usually, that meant spending some quality time with Aloe for the next twenty minutes, followed by a light lunch. Today, however, she opted instead of dedicate more time towards helping around the spa proper. 

It was that time, she supposed, when a pregnant mare begins experiencing the... Rougher patches of her term. She'd asked her In private not long ago, and hated to admit she hadn't realized just how exhausting the symptoms could be. It was her duty to assist in whatever ways she could, and she'd perform them to the best of her ability.

Rose herself, naturally, suffered little in the way of her own pregnancy, although it was still quite the novel experience carrying a pony foal instead of eggs. She wondered, idly, how this would turn out...

But enough of that, Aloe probably needs her help.

"Aloe dear?" She called out, trotting into the main room, searching for the pony. "Do you need any assistance back here?"

• Aisede changed the title to A Pleasant Surprise [closed; Aloe, Lotus, Rose,]

Lotus had worked her tail off of at the Spa for years, and it showed in what the sisters had made. What had started as simply two sisters trying to make it work in some podunk little town had flourished considerably into being the premiere spa in one of Equestria's most up and coming cities. The demand had changed alongside it, of course. Now they employed a small team of spa workers who kept it working. That had done wonders for Lotus. She loved getting hooves on but not having to be so uptight about her scheduling fit her more free-wheeling attitude towards time. Most importantly it meant she could handle a lot of the back-end for the business. While still involved in the front facing aspect of the spa, Lotus did develop into some manner of background pony, always there and working but somewhere off in the distance.

It had eventually evolved to the point where she could take some time to try and make big improvements to the spa. And so she had embarked on a quality, expensive trip abroad to find the right tools to make the spa the best spa it could be. She spent several weeks in Manehattan awaiting shipments and presentations of several items of interes. Saddle Arabian heating coals that burned faster, hotter, and longer. New mineral developments from the Crystal Empire being demo'd at an expo. New techniques from Neighpon? Well, that meant she had to go to Neghpon. And what was this she heard about sonic enrichment from Long Guo? Well, she had to experience. What had started off as a short trip to gather a few new tools had developed into a near worldwide saunter in search of new and unique ways of making the spa better. She had gone far over her allotted time, but that was Lotus. She was never very punctual.

She had arrived back in town early in the morning, her suitcase bulging with what she could bring. The rest was either being delivered to the spa or would be over the coming days. The town despite growing as it had was still silent enough for her tastes in the early morning. She was stopped a few times by friends who were happy to see her return and she likewise was happy to hear about all the goings ons of Ponyville while she had been gone. In time and with great effort she had slowly matriculated her way to the spa as the sun rose and the town's markets startled to hustle and bustle.

She went to the back, opening the door there and taking a step inside to take in all the smells of home.

"Aloe! Aloe I am back!"

JpMTmq0.png

It didn't take much to presume that things were getting harder and harder inside the spa. Aloe had made sure to hire additional help for the masseurs and the herbalists in prepping for her inevitable time away from the spa. After all, she had no real idea when her sister was coming home. She had Rose helping her as it was getting everything set up and she was learning what she could, but there was going to be a time soon where Rose was in the same situation as Aloe. She had just finished making sure the baths were ready for their next patrons as she heard Rose pop in and ask if she needed any help with anything. "No, I think were good here. I started getting the baths ready a bit ago because I knew it would take a bit longer. Though if you wanna help me get the towels ready for the clients when they get out. The fresh ones should be over in that cabinet there," she said, pointing to said cabinet not far from where Rose was standing. 

Everything else went out the window though when she heard the door bells chime and a voice ring though the shop. No... it can't be, she thought to herself. She knew that voice anywhere, but so many times she'd thought she'd heard it in the past and it was just her imagination. When she heard the voice say she was back, she hesitantly but hurriedly, made her way towards the door. Well, as quickly as a pregnant mare could that was. She was expecting to be let down by her imagination again, but this time... This time was no fluke or her mind playing tricks on her. This time, her sister was actually standing in the door. Within an instant she ran up to her and locked her in a giant hug. "I've missed you... So much I've missed you..." she said, leaking liquid happiness onto Lotus's shoulder. 

• Like 2

Rose quietly retrieved the towels and levitated them over to their proper place as she watched the exchange. She'd picked up a hauntingly familiar signature earlier in the day, but she couldn't say for certain it was Aloe's counterpart or not. Seeing her in the flesh... Rose understood immidiately what she'd meant by twin. If she didn't know any better, she'd say this Lotus pony was a color-inverted clone. 

Of course, she gave the two plenty of time to reconsile before approaching herself, slowly at first so as not to startle them. 

"You really do look exactly alike," she noted aloud, smiling cordially and offering a hoof in greeting (once their hug was concluded, of course.) "Rose Compass, alchemist and part-time massues."

• Like 1

Lotus embraced her sister warmly, not sharing the sheer extremity of her sister's emotion but in tune with the spirit. It had been a while. Longer than intended, really, but she hadn't expected her sister to be this emotional over it. Hopefully she would be just as emotional about the new heating coals! They were fantastic! All joking aside, she held the hug as best she could- more like was held- for a while, giving her sister a sweet hug in return. "It is very good to be back, Aloe," she said as the two eventually separated. "I saw many great things and it was very good, but I am so much happier to be back here with my sister!" She said, beaming despite how tired she was. Indeed, she had looked forward to this day for a long while. Sailing from the Fillyphines took forever and it felt like a lifetime had passed between Neighpon and Manehattan, but the whole time she knew she was returning home and that was enough for her.

She returned to a different situation than the one she had left. She had been kept appraised as best she could of the happenings of Ponyville by Bon Bon, her best friend and one of the chief town gossips. Through her friend's letters she had learned as best she could of what had happened between Aloe and this 'Rose Compass'. Lotus wasn't a letter writer herself but had composed a few that she had planned to deliver during a layover. Sadly, the ship had other ideas- nearly sinking on her during a storm and sending her letters to some watery grave. The nerve of the ocean! Still, she was excited to finally see her very pregnant sister. "I have heard many things on my travels! You are very lucky mare, Aloe. Very special children!" She said as she studied her sister. That...was one pregnant Aloe, yes.

And the Changeling who had done it was next. Rose Compass, alchemist, part-time massues, friend of Princess Sparkle, and a strange but interesting creature to be found about town. "Nice to meet you, Rose!" she said, shaking the hoof. "I have heard many things," she said with an even expression as she pulled close to her sister and held her with one arm in mock defensiveness. She arched her eyebrows, trying her best to hide her grin. "You are who deflowered her?"

• Like 2

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

The hug that was being held by the two sisters was a tight one. Aloe pulled back from the hug and couldn't help but wipe away more liquid happiness from her eyes as she heard her sister speak. She told her that she had been able to see many places and that she hoped that the spa would benefit from the places that she was able to go to. She also heard her sister say that she had heard many things on her travels, telling her that she was one very lucky mare with very special children. Aloe couldn't help but blush a bit as she watched her sister look her over before hearing Rose speak up. She couldn't help but giggle when she said that the two of them really did look like each other. 

Before she could respond, Lotus did so with a smile. She felt her sister pull her close and wrap a hoof around her and she found herself leaning into it, much as she would if Rose were to do the same movements. Like she had said with her, she had heard many things and then asked if she was the one that deflowered herself. At that point, Aloe couldn't help but chuckle. "Oh please, pretty much everypony in Ponyville knows you were my first," Aloe said, sticking her tongue out playfully to her sister. "But yes, she's the first one to actually put a bun in the oven so to say. Four of them, technically," Aloe smiled before leaning over and whispering into her sister's ear. "I put one inside her too," she giggled. "I am glad you're back though... I was about to put up fliers to try to hire additional help. I don't know how much longer I can keep going before this takes me out of commission for a few weeks."

• Like 1

Rose chuckled heartily at Lotus' question. "Oh, we did more than that." Leaning forward, she whispered conspiratorially- even if Aloe was not even an inch away from the blue mare. "She likes rope ~"

"Anyway," she pulled back, reasserting a more relaxed posture. "Aloe is right. I would love to help out more, but even I have my limits." Vague limits at best, if she were being modest. She herself could staff the entirety of Aloe's spa with disguised simulacrums, but that would be exhausting to an unimaginable degree. Untenable, in short. 

She took another moment to really access the mare before her, her horn flickering with a glimmer of turquoise light as she got a read on Lotus' physical health. "Your timing is quite ironic, we were actually planning on visiting you within the week."

Lotus had to roll her eyes at the sauciness so freely on display between the three of them. It was no shock that it would happen, especially since the two sisters had been more than close for many years. It did sadden Lotus to think that she had managed to miss so much, but she readily and easily settled herself into the notion that the past was the past. She would have nieces and nephews and nephews and nieces for days.  She would have to work hard to ensure that each and every one of them learned just who the best aunt in the world was, even if she wasn't the most talkative in the world. "Well, it seems like we won't have to worry about our parents anymore. Now that one of us is going to have foals, there exists no pressure on the second!" She said with a laugh as she started looking around the spa.

As she did so, she started rearranging small details here and there- sign facing, the placement of ointments and supplies, nothing major. Just small adjustments back to the way it should be! "Additional help? Hmm. I suppose it would have made sense! I mean, I am- what they say- a dynamo when it comes to the spa and spa related activities. And don't worry, Aloe. My adventures may have been longer than anticipated, but my rewards are also greater than hoped!" She nodded. "Very much worth it. Except for the trip," she said as she sighed, this time addressing Rose. "Better to go with the vacation packages, even on business. Too many areas are...ehhhh..." she waved her around in a waffling fashion, "less than good, yes?" She turned back to her work. "Very happy to be back home! Better you did not come visit. Had too much to do here, it seems!"

• Like 1

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

"I know right!?" Aloe replied as lotus made the comment about their parents not being down their necks for grandfoals anymore. Even with Aloe and Lotus begging as close and intimate as they were, they both knew that them trying anything like that was a bad idea. They were identical twins after all. That meant there genes were identical and any recessed traits that they might have had in them would be on complete and full display. That wouldn't bode well for a little one that they had together, as much as she loved the idea. "We already have three that came out as eggs," she added, night when Rose said that they were already planning a trip to see here.

Lotus said that it was probably fit the best that they didn't, considering everything there was too do here now. There was no telling how far behind the spa would have gotten!! She heard Lotus toot her own horn a bit and couldn't help but giggle at the notion. She also said that everything except for the trip has been worth it. "I will definitely keep that in mind," Aloe said in response to using vacation packages rather than just going to some places because some of them were less than savory.

"Well, I'm very happy you're home regardless. We should be ready to open soon. I just finished mixing the minerals for the baths, Rose got the towels folded. The steam room should be building up pressure, though we did have to replace some pipes not to long ago. They started leaking and we never noticed. Miss Applejack was the one who found the leak. The mud baths are just about up to temperature and should be ready to go by the time the first client is set for them. Most of them will be happy to hear that we'll be able to accommodate more massages to! Poor Bulk Biceps has been quite overworked recently and with the two of us in our conditions we can't give massages that would be up to the spa quality standard. So unfortunately some ponies were having to go without..." Aloe explained

Rose couldn't help a warm smile growing as she listened to Aloe passionately detail the state of the spa. It was like a second home to her... Or home, really. The nascant queen couldn't say she'd ever seen Aloe so passionate about the spa, or anything other than personal activities. Was it all because Lotus was here now? Would it last?

That last thought was a serious hit to her mood, and she found her smile melting into a small, concerned frown as she considered the ramifications of Lotus's arrival and inevitable departure.

But did it have to be inevitable?

Focusing on the blue mare, she siddled up next to Aloe's side and nuzzled her, throwing a foreleg over her withers to draw her close.

"Yes, the life of a masseuse is ever frought with excitement. We would be honored If you would join us. Perhaps after work we can introduce you to Albedo? Rubedo and Nigredo have yet to hatch."

She grieves your absense, she added mentally, empathically sharing her worry with the mare. This is the happiest I have seen her since I came into her life. I do not believe she will ever truly be complete without you. 

It was good to hear everything was operating as close to normal as it could be. She didn't know why it would have taken that long to find a leak with business being the way it was, no doubt. A lot of small details could get lost in the shuffle, especially when so much else was going on in your personal life. Luckily for the Spa, Lotus proudly didn't have much of a personal life that wasn't tied up in her activities at the spa. Huzzah for small miracles! "I will have to get to work fast, then," she said with a giggle. "I will be more than happy to work some massuese schedules. Later tonight I can show off the stuff I brought in, if we're ready to go today. A lot of it requires some work to implement but it will be worth, Maybe at the start of a business week, so we can work the kinks out," she gave it some thought. "Yes, that would work. In any case, I hope our normal clientelle still shows up. I think Rarity would love to hear about some of the shops in Saddle Arabia," she said with a contented smile as she finished her busy-hooves setting up.

The subject of the little ones came up and her face lit up. "Oh, I would love it! I brought some candies I can share with them. Probably. Maybe?" She looked at both of them. "But yes, after work. I'm not a quarter of the mare I am when I'm not working," she laughed as she stretched out her front legs. As she did so, something odd happened. This voice in her head came in and said...something she already knew? Ahh, yes. This happened all the time! She had a habit of repackaging her own thoughts in the voices of others. She always blamed Bon Bon. She scratched at her ear and continued on. "Time to work, fillies!"

• Like 1

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe nodded when she heard Lotus say that she would have to get to work fast then. "But hopefully not too fast, we still have a lot to catch up on," she said as she also heard Lotus start talking about showing her some of the stuff that she had gotten on the trip. She said that there was a lot that would require a bit of work to implement. That it would probably be best to try to do so at the beginning of the work week. "Oh, I can almost guarantee Rarity will be here. Not that I'm complaining, but she spends almost more time here than she does at her boutique," Aloe said with a small giggle.

When Rose mentioned introducing Lotus to their little ones, Aloe immediately nodded in response. She was ecstatic to hear that Lotus seemed to be on board with the idea as well. "As far as normal clientele... it's funny that you should mention that. We actually do a lot of work on non-ponies anymore. Ever since the School of Friendship opened up, we've seen a little bit of everything here. Why, while you were gone, I've worked on Hippogryphs, I worked on an Aerion, I worked with Rose here, and things took quite an amazing turn there, and we've even worked on a Kelpie! A kelpie of all ponies!!! I wasn't entirely sure what to do with her though... I'm not sure how to massage water," Aloe said scratching the back of her head. She gave another nod and a smile when Lotus suggested getting back to work. Now that Lotus was back, Aloe had a new level of energy about her. One that even her current state wouldn't be able to slow her down much.

Lotus' enthusiasm was infectious, and even Rose found herself motivated by her work ethic. 

"Ah yes, Rarity. The Element of Vanity, right?" Rose chuckled, using her magic to make some last-minute arrangements of her own. Aloe was the one who handled all the vital functions of the spa- Rose was really just a helping hoof. With Lotus here, she was probably completely obsolete! "And we did service a kelpie once! What was her name again? Aqua?" She tried to think back to that encounter, but not much of note occured behind some magical shenanigans.

"As for candy..." In a sudden burst of light, Rose's lower half was replaced with the tail of a fish. She slapped it wetly against the floor as a bubble of water appeared around her head. She made dramatic gulping motions before letting it splash onto the floor, where it immidiately began to evaporate. "Albedo is still a guppie. She won't be able to eat... Anything solid until she reaches her amphibious stage."

Lotus laughed. "There is always time for the socialization during work, dear sister," she said with a gentle caress and a head pat for fun, "after all, it is part of the job anyway!" She chortled. It was true. While the meat and potatoes of their work was labor intensive prepwork for their clients, suite management, and administration, the social aspects of massages, sales, and the client experience were just as important. A spa was a place you went to relax and enjoy yourself and a friendly smile and some friendly words were important to that work. "I am happy to see customers new and customers old. Just seeing familiar faces will be a breath of fresh air after holding it for so long! Even if one of them is the Element of Vanity," she winked towards Rose. then stopped in place, "nothing changed, right? She is still the Element of Generosity, right? I can't keep up with all of their changes," she said as she flipped the open sign on. "Do we have any unique clients lined up? I've never given a massage to a Kelpie before. And now I'm behind in experience! Tut tut," she said as she assumed the position behind the counter.

When she turned around, she saw Rose's performance. She could have just told Lotus but she was learning quickly that Rose was a performer. No wonder Aloe liked her so much! "Oh, I see then!" She said, thinking for a moment before shrugging. "More candy for us then, I guess! I will have to get something liquid based for her. Not that it shouldn't be hard! Don't be sad if she run- swims towards me whenever I show up, because I have every intention of spoiling her greedily and heartily." 

spoiled.png.79a5adac26b4aa2af55d6279984da003.png

As it turned out, Spoiled Rich was about to choose the perfect day for redeeming her spa visit voucher gift from Rose.  Not that she expected any lesser fortune as her due.  Being Mayor of a bustling and growing town was hard work!  Rose understood that, and Spoiled was beginning to actually consider the changeling a friend.

Besides that, of course, the Twin's Spa was the only one in town, and she had been a frequent customer in more more social and less busy days.  How much of a good customer that made her... well, that was up to how professional Aloe and Lotus were feeling that day, no doubt.  Given how busy the spa had been relative to its staff, she had scheduled herself to enter in as close to the actual opening time as she could, so as not to risk her massage spot being taken.  So, when she pushed open the door, ringing the bell to find Lotus there after so long an absence, she remarked, "Well, Miss Lotus, I am glad to see you saw fit to return to us at last!  After so long without so much as a letter, you had left many doubts in the minds of our fellow townsponies."

• Like 1
  • Hearthoof 1

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe had to stifle a giggle when she heard Rose call rarity the element of vanity. She wasn't entirely wrong, and inside Aloe did wonder if part of hey generosity was a ploy to get more of her merchandise out there for ponies to see. It was smart at the very least, and she's never ever accuse the pony of false generosity. She'd personally seen that mare give away some crazy things and do things that most just wouldn't do. "She does like promoting herself a lot, but at the same time and business owner would. But yeah, the candy will have to wait just a bit. Though if you go by Frozen Delight's later, the might let you get some of their snow cone syrup. That would be the closest thing to liquid candy I can think of, and I'm sure Albedo will love it. I haven't seen a filly of any variaty that didn't like sweet stuff. I know that when we were younger, we used to have a competition on who could sneak the most treats," Aloe said, nodding as Lotus mentioned that they could continue socializing while they worked. 

About that time their first client of the day showed up. It was the new mayor, Mayor Rich! She immediate noticed that Lotus was back and was the first comment that she made upon entering. "Good morning Mayor Rich. Here for your usual?" Aloe smiled, making hey way to the counter to check her in, albeit still a bit slower than normal with her added gait. 

• Like 2

Rose wasn't entirely certain she wanted to experiment with 'liquid candy' when it concerned the health of her broodling, but they'd discuss that later. For now, they had more immediate matters to attend too: such as the arrival of her new friend, the good Mayor.

"Ah, Mayor! How good of you show up ~" In a flash of green, she reverted to her usual form. "This visit is on me, Aloe."

Trotting over to Spoiled, she offered a hoof in greeting with a bright smile. "Your timing is quite convenient. My love's sister actually just arrived. They..." She looked back at the two. "Really are identical twins..."

• Like 1

"A contest I would win," Lotus ended what her sister had started. Most of the time it was untrue, Aloe was better organized and that was component number one required in a winner in the game of hidden candies. Lotus was too often preoccupied with forgettable details like where to hide used wrappers. Good to care, less good when you didn't bother hiding it in the first place as a result! "I will have to make a stop there later, then. I don't want to make the little ones think their aunt has any intention other than spoiling. If our parents can't, then I must," she said as she saw the first customer of the day enter. Oh look it was Spoiled Rich!

Mayor Rich? She was Mayor? She had been out for a while, it seemed. Even longer in town than it was in real life, maybe. She didn't think that Spoiled Rich was the sort of mare who would run for office due to the public responsibility of it. But then again, she always did seem the type to have some sort of plan for everything so Ponyville would probably be fine under her tutelage. Probably. As long as ponies didn't get in her way. Lotus had no intention of doing that. Why upset such a good customer? "I am very happy to be back, Mis- Mayor Rich. I enjoyed my trav-ails very much but nothing is better than being home, surrounded by the ponies I care for," she said with a bright smile. "As for letters, I did write. Turns out the stormy sea had other agenda, yes? So, what is it you want done today? I can see the tension along your shoulders today," she said as she approached. "What else is on your mind?"

spoiled.png.79a5adac26b4aa2af55d6279984da003.png

Spoiled considered.  Her 'usual' was on the higher end of the services offered, but if this visit was on Rose, and with the return of Lotus...  "Actually, I think I will step up today's visit.  It has been a while since my last, and with the full family here, it would be a shame not to celebrate the occasion by going all out!"  She shed her outerwear to hang on the hangers in the waiting room closet.

Lotus had not lost her eye for a customer's tension after so many months away, Spoiled was glad to hear.  "On my mind?  Besides all the various cares of my new work...?"  She paused, wondering how much to share, before sighing and deciding to let the rest of the family know what Rose did already.  "Family matters.  I feel my own rather drifting apart, of late."

~~~Aloe Blossom~~~

Aloe would clop her hooves together a bit when she heard Spoiled say that she would be stepping things up a bit today. She did kick herself a bit mentally for not being able to recognize the extra tension that Mayor Rich was holding onto, but at the same time, Lotus had always been better at identifying things like that. She was the better masseur of the two of them. Aloe was always the one that was better at turning things into shampoos, conditioners, skin and coat treatments, and now a bit more of the alchemical side as well after practicing and working with Rose. 

She also couldn't help but giggle and roll her eyes a bit as Rose still seemed to be caught up on the fact that they were truly identical twins with inverted colors. Her smile turned into a small wince as she felt the foal inside her give a swift kick to her insides before shaking it off. When she heard Mayor Rich talk about how she felt her family drifting apart. Aloe looked to her sympathetically. "I must confess that I myself am not a good pony to take familial advice from. After Lotus left and had been gone for as long as she was I kinda locked myself behind my emotions and buried myself here trying to make everypony else as happy as possible, week little regard for my own. It wasn't until I met Rose that things started getting better and I started opening up again," she said, leading the now disrobed mayor to the working area of the spa. "If there is one thing that I do know that tends to be universal amongst all families though, is that it's better to be honest about everything up front than it is trying to beat around the bush at things. No pony can fix anything if they don't know what they are fixing," she concluded. "That being said, what would you like to do first today?"

Rose was quick to shake off the strangeness that was Aloe and Lotus, trotting ahead for a last minute check of the services. 

All seemed to be in order.

"I've gained quite the bit of experience myself working under Aloe. Hopefully my skills are up to par." Grinning and turning towards the two, she gestured all around. "Anything at all, Mayor Rich. What'll it be?"