Section 2 - Sweet Apple Acres

gallery_299_36_19085.png

"Hello there! Name's Mojo and yes, I'm afraid I did see that. Me pal the Professor wanted ME to strap on that solar powered jet pack to use in this race. When I told'm no, he paid a pony to test it to prove to me that it was safe. Poor blue bloke's been flyin' all around this area ever since. Wish I could help'm, but I'm just a simple Earth pony. Got no wings, got no magic. I hope me chums can bring'm down safely."

Lyra could only blink uncertainly at this. "Solar powered jet pack? I don't know what that is but it certainly looked dangerous." she glanced back up at the sky where a faint smoke trail from the jet pack could still be seen. "A device to make ground ponies fly? I'll keep my hooves on the ground I think. If I want to fly I'll take a balloon or a pegasus chariot." She wondered how the poor blue pony had been roped into trying such a strange machine.

"So, what's your name, love? Just because we're competitors doesn't mean we can't chat it up a bit."

She couldn't help but giggle slightly at being called "love", but quickly supressed it, hoping she wouldn't seem rude. The green and blue pony smiled at the stallion. "Oh, I'm Lyra! Pleased to meet you Mojo! Say, I can't quite place your accent. Where are you from?" she enquired. She couldn't remember seeing the painted pony around Ponyville before. Possibly he was new to town, in which case she was certain a Pinkie Pie party was in the works, or may even have already happened.

Harmony ran not too slow and not too fast, she tried to be in the middle of the race instead of the end or the front, she smiled slightly and looked to her mane to Flighty and started to slowly whisper.

Everything okay there Flighty? Her bird pat her on the head, giving her signs to not talk, he was a bird but he knew talking will take needless effort that will tire Harmony faster. She sighed and didn't argue with the bird, she took his advice and was running at medium speed to not have any problems closer to the finish line.

-------

You think it was a good idea to come here Star Fire? Chemise looked at Star with a sigh, he smiled to her and nodded.

Hey, don't worry Chemise, We are only watching how they run. You will not get dirty here. Maybe you will find someone to sell your clothes to, what do you think?

Chemise gave the idea a thought and smiled, nodding to Star Fire. She will later approach ponies who were running and ask if any of them want to buy the clothes. She smiled to Star and looked at the race.

Okay, Lets get back to the race Star. I want to know who will win today.

As most of the runners started to make some speed, Survey only kepts slowing down. He was pretty tired and was too busy mumbling too himself what big of a loser he was. ''I-i'm... *pant* n-never.. going to... *pant* finish like t-this...'' he said, as he let out an sigh of frustration. He looked back at his flank, and noticed that there was no number. He growled, as he remembered that he left his number, wich was 47, in his bag wich was still at the starting line.

Atleast, according to him.

He heard a loud shout coming from an orange pony, standing at some sort of table, with drinks on it. He smiled and rushed over there, panting and sweating. He looked at her and blushed a bit. Why did it always have to be a filly! He looked at her a bit nervous. ''H-h-hello, a-are t-those.. d-drinks?...'' he asked the hat-wearing mare, still blushing brightly red.

Carrot Fields was still feeling awkward and embarrassed from his absentminded crash; more than a few ponies saw him face-plant himself in the dirt and a few even had to go around him. Those papers possibly ruined…

He couldn't think about that now, he had to focus on the race, the road ... although perhaps he was taking this a little too seriously and was getting ahead of himself. He was probably galloping a little too hard after that tumble. "Ach, simmer it down a mite, Carrot! Ye'll sprint yerself till yer roit bushed, ye will!" Slowing up slightly to a more regular trot, he figured his frame and long stride would get him back towards the front, although he lost track of that odd pink pony ... Did she hop her way so far ahead of everypony or did she just get distracted somewhere? She just seemed ... so random. It would appear he had also lost track of the orange filly with the hat that had been in the lead. Could he really be that far behind? Of course, this part of the path being her home, she probably knew every last curve by heart.

Looking up, he could see the track bending around the large red barn that was the centerpiece of Sweet Apple Acres; it was so well known that it was the informal symbol of the farming traditions of every farmer pony of the region's rich and fertile lands. As he came around the bend next to the barn he suddenly saw that self-same orange filly with a cart of drinks out! How did she do that so fast?! She caught his eye and waved him over, calling to him, offering him a drink. Oye! She's chattin' tae me?"

He grinned and his trot gained a bit of a happy prance to it as he skipped along the side of the road to her table - where he caught one backhoof under the other and once again tripped, faceplantting the dirt right in front of the stunning filly who was his neighbor. "Smooth move, dumbtail!" he could hear his sire's voice scold in his mind. Ugh. What a way to make a first impression.

He had to salvage this ... and quick! Sitting back up on his hindquarters, with an awkward grin that said "Oi meant tae do that ... really!" he shuffled together the dirty, slightly torn papers he had been carrying in his mouth. "Aye, roit on ya! Oi'd love tae have a drink wi'ee, ah ... Miss Apple!" She was of the Apple Family, right? That was a close enough guess, he hoped.

What a way too meet somepony.

Dotty was trying to remember the next verse of her song when she noticed a dark blue stallion trotting next to her. For a moment she panicked thinking he might be part of the Apple family or at least he disapproved. Dotty tensed up preparing to be scolded.

HI! Sorry to interrupt Miss, but what’s that you’re singing there?

Dotty's ears perked up and she gave a mental sigh. She relaxed her posture when she saw the expression on the stallion's face was amusement and not disapproval. She felt a little embarrassed that someone had noticed her singing but, she felt so relieved she didn't mind. She was about to tell him the song when...

Oh, excuse me, where are my manners… Again? Name’s Klondike from Ponyville! I repairs things!

Dotty beamed. She had been schooled so many times on proper introductions. It made her happy to hear other ponies try it.

Oh that's alright. My name is Dotty. Dotty Droll. Pleased to meet you Klondike.

Dotty smiled and gave Klondike a nod.

As to that song I can't tell you the name. It's something I heard sailors singing when they were loading up their ship. I never thought to ask what it was called...

Dotty spaced out then, thinking back to when she had visited the docks one foggy morning. She had hovered around the anchored ship waiting to hear the whole song. It was an opportunity to hear the words clearly. Much better than trying to learn the songs in the taverns when the sailors had had too much salt. The smell of apples reminded Dotty she was nowhere near the sea now. Dotty focused back to the present and her fellow racer.

Oh..um. Where was I? You said you repair things? That's a bit vague. What kind of things?

Number 34, Klondike, kept a steady pace alongside Dotty Droll as he kept on smiling at her.

“Well it’s a pleasure to meet you too Miss Droll. That sailor’s song you were singing was rather catchy and fun. Shame you didn’t catch the name though.”

He paused for a second as he noticed a somewhat blank expression on Dotty’s face. Realizing what it was, he could not help but wonder if that’s how he looked when lost in his own little mind. As soon as she snapped back out though, he simply kept on smiling content that for once he wasn’t the one spacing out. It was refreshing to say the least.

“Well I fix anything and everything. I’m a pony of all trades when it comes to fixing stuff. I’ve had to work real hard to be able to brag about that too. If I don’t know how, I learn how and take notes on everything I learn. Why, just last week I was fixing a…”

For the second time that day, the unimaginable happened. Klondike paid attention, again, to his twitching right ear as the sound of something that suddenly made his throat dry reached it.

"Get yer refreshin' apple juice right here! Mighty fresh and mighty sweet!"

Looking a ways up ahead, he spotted the source of the sound. Some ponies were already there and he couldn’t help but imagine exactly just how refreshing it would feel to drink something. With a quick glance at Dotty Droll and then back towards the approaching stand, his eyebrows suddenly sprang up as he got an idea.

“Say Miss Droll? Care for a drink? I’ll go fetch us some!”

And with that, he quickly broke off from the herd and headed towards the apple juice stand, bag still around his neck and a smile on his face as he approached the Stetson hat wearing pony. He slowed his gait to a leisurely trot as he got closer, but the closer he got, the more his expression changed to one of surprise as he recognize the mare selling the drinks.

“HI! You’re from Sweet Apple Acres, aren’t you?” He called out as he came to a stop among the other ponies in front of the stand. “I’ve seen you at the market with your apple cart a few times. Great apples by the way!” He was still smiling at the hat wearing pony before his expression turned into one of confusion. “Actually, why does it feel like if had this conversation befo-Oh! That’s right, I spoke with your, err, cousin, brother, a little whiles back. Big red coated pony with a harness. Don’t think I caught his name though.”

As the smile returned to his face, he began to look at the drinks on the stand. The slight condensation clinging to the surface of the bottles only made them the much more appealing.

“I’d like to purchase two of your…”

He suddenly stopped as his right ear began to twitch and he started looking at himself, turning this way and that as he analyzed every inch of his own coat as if searching for something. Figuring it was a race, Klondike had left his bit purse behind. His smile faded as his expression went from mirth to disappointment. That wouldn’t last long though as the twitching from his right ear intensified and his gaze fell on the bag around his neck and then on the lime colored unicorn with the gray mane.

“AH HA! YOU!” Klondike suddenly called with a raised accusing hoof pointed at the unicorn. He quickly approached him with narrowed eyes and a devilish grin across his muzzle. “I finally FOUND you!” He raised another accusing hoof at the lime colored unicorn, and quickly lowered it as he brought his muzzle close to that of the unicorn’s.

His expression suddenly changed to one of pleasant shock and surprise.

“Here’s your bag!” He suddenly announced as he gave the unicorn a warm smile and lowered his neck to let the bag slide off and onto the ground in front of the unicorn’s hoofs.

gallery_299_36_19085.png

"Solar powered jet pack? I don't know what that is but it certainly looked dangerous." she glanced back up at the sky where a faint smoke trail from the jet pack could still be seen. "A device to make ground ponies fly? I'll keep my hooves on the ground I think. If I want to fly I'll take a balloon or a pegasus chariot." She wondered how the poor blue pony had been roped into trying such a strange machine.

She couldn't help but giggle slightly at being called "love", but quickly supressed it, hoping she wouldn't seem rude. The green and blue pony smiled at the stallion. "Oh, I'm Lyra! Pleased to meet you Mojo! Say, I can't quite place your accent. Where are you from?" she enquired. She couldn't remember seeing the painted pony around Ponyville before. Possibly he was new to town, in which case she was certain a Pinkie Pie party was in the works, or may even have already happened.

Mojo responded as he continued his rythemic gallop

"I come from a small family farm near the Great Nimbusgait Lakes. Pony folk living in the country there are commonly called 'hippies.' Suppose we hippies kinda talk in an odd manner, but it's all groovy! Not too many of us hippie ponies venture out this far away from home. But I crave adventure, excitement, thrills and fun! Life on the farm was marvy, but dash it all I wanna explore this wonderful land, make friends and spread peace and love everywhere I go. Too many ponies out there are all stressed out, worried, angry, jealous. No need for that in Equestria! Look all around! There's beauty in nature, plenty of grass to graze on and apples in the trees around us. Take this race for example. Some of our chums are far out ahead! They're take'n it WAY too seriously. That's why I'm trottin' an even, steady pace so when those other guys and dolls are wore out, I can just keep on galloping to victory! That's me plan, Lyra."

(ooc): Mojo has sort of an English-"Beatles Era" accent and dialect. Sometimes in everyday conversation, ladies are referred to as 'love'

((OOC: Alright, too eager to hop into this for quite some time. Time to make up lost ground))

Douglas felt relieved to be closing in on the pack now. After a horrendous start from the third row left him blocked out from advancing and running blind through dust, he had finally dropped back enough to last and slowly started to work his way back up through the field. His pace a gentle gallop, he admitted that he was probably rushing himself, but he wanted to make up for his bad start before he slowed into a calmer pace. The number stuck to his flank indicated that his number was 46. Douglas gave careful glances to the sides of the road. The endless row of trees that surrounded both ends looked near bare to Douglas, the pack of ponies ahead easily stripping most leaves with little effort. It seemed like Douglas had far more ground to make up than he thought, although the sight of the earth basked in such bright browns and oranges was a very peaceful sight. It made his charge back to the pack all the more uplifting as he soon approached a rather nice hill and broke over it's crest.

"Uh, whoa..." he uttered, taking in the sight of the near endless apple trees that wrapped around Sweet Apple Acres. After long travels had him more than familar with the Apple name and it's many products. As well as having passed through Ponyvile several times while hauling wagons, this was the first time he ever ventured down the old country roads that snaked around the town and saw the Orchard first hoof.

Darting down the hill, Douglas could finally see some of the ponies ahead. Although the leaders were far out of his view, he could at least see up to the mid-pack and the many small clusters of ponies jockeying for position down the winding road. Douglas wanted to pick up his pace and just go all out to close the gap, but it would just be a waste of more energy when he was clearly making up lost ground at his steady gallop. The many apple trees that zipped by made his mouth water, albeit he already had a good meal an hour before the race. Carefully Douglas moved up the pack, passing the small handful that stopped to enjoy the scenery or dropped their pace to a slow trot. As he moved from one side of the road to the other to make his passes he looked at each pony, giving a quaint nod to whoever he passed. Douglas couldn't blame some ponies for already slowing up their pace, but he figured with the length of the race it would probably be better to hold off slowing his pace until he reached the next leg in the circuit. "I can't believe the turn out for this event. I almost could've sworn this was Manehattan from all the ponies in town today." he thought, noticing he was ever closing the gap on some of the other groupings.

Soon enough he could see the barn of Sweet Apple Acres coming up on his side and low and behold, there was the orange coated successor of the Apple farm, dealing out juice to the ponies looking for a break. Douglas let a out quick chuckle as he gave a gentle nod as he passed the booth, it's owner, and her first customers of the day. "Ooh, she's a shrewd little swindler...Cute though." Douglas thought as he passed by the barn and encircled the road around the weathered farm house. Putting his focus ahead of him as he finally passed the center of Sweet Apple Acres, it was all about reaching the outskirts and entering the next leg in decent positioning before he allowed himself to rest.

"Alright, Trotta'!" He hollered at himself, his slight accent slipping out in his excitement. "The Oz' on favorite has stopped. Lets puts 'um ground between 'er!" Slowly he could see himself closing up on a small cluster of ponies ahead. Lowering his head a bit, Douglas let the cluster ahead act like a small windbreaker and inched in behind them. "Fine day fa' racing, huh?" he called to the ponies he was closing in on.

After maintaining a full gallop for ten minutes, Rose slowed down to keep pace with the rest of the crowd. She knew that one of the biggest and most obvious mistakes a marathon runner could make was to tire herself out too fast, so it was about time to start pacing herself. Most of the other runners seemed to have the same idea, and some of them even started conversations with one another. Rose herself had gotten involved in a sing-along another unicorn started, and even though she stopped singing after three songs, she still found a few of those songs stuck in her head. She wondered if that unicorn made them up herself.

Then the ponies rounded the corner and caught a glimpse of Sweet Apple Acres, a sight that stopped Rose in her tracks. Succulent apples dotted the trees for miles around like rubies, and if they were half as delicious as the apples in that pie she bought at the Grand Galloping Gala, Rose didn't think she'd be able to stop eating them! At least, not until she ran out of money to buy them with. She blinked and shook her head, trying to focus her attention away from her daydreaming and back to the race.

Not that the other ponies were all that driven to press on at the moment. Some of them had even stopped to rest. Pinkie Pie was sitting under a tree... talking to herself. Rose stopped to watch for a few seconds, not really knowing how to react, before Pinkie started rambling on about her purpose and "what she had to do." She might have to ask Pinkie about that later, though from what she'd heard Ponyvillians say before, she probably wouldn't get a satisfying answer. She guessed it would be up to her imagination to fill in the blanks.

What struck Rose as even weirder than that, though, was Applejack sitting behind a crate with bottles of apple juice piled atop it. "Get yer refreshin' apple juice right here! Mighty fresh and mighty sweet!" she called out. Rose couldn't believe her ears. What was she thinking? Wasn't she in the race, too? But now that Rose thought about it, she wouldn't mind something to rehydrate her for later in the race.

She approached the crate right after a young gray stallion with a carrot mark on his flank, who skipped up to Applejack and tripped on his face. From the way he talked and looked at her, Rose could tell the poor guy was smitten by her, and Rose couldn't help but giggle at the cute little display he put on. Ah, she remembered when she was that inexperienced in the ways of love. Hopefully he would have more luck than she did.

"Sheesh, are you just this confident that you'll win, AJ?" Rose asked Applejack. "Oh well, as long as you're offering..." Her hooves reached for her neck, but found nothing around it. Nothing adorned her body at all except for the two racing numbers on her flanks. "Oh, shoot, I left my coinpurse at Inky's place!" she muttered. Why couldn't Applejack have told them that she was selling drinks before the race began? Rose couldn't help but kick the ground in frustration.

ajbanner.png

Applejack's first three customers were all stallions. She sure does know how to hook'em. "Hay there! You thir-," Applejack smiled and held in a giggle as Carrot fell to the ground, adding to the dirt that was already on his ponyface, "-sty?"

The next pony, same shy but not as clumsy, trotted up to the table nervously and greeted. She noticed that this was the same pony that had bumped into her at the starting line. Applejack responded with the utmost confidence. "You'll love my apple juice! It's the sweetest in all of Equestria!" Applejack raised her hooves with confidence, slightly reminding her of Trixie and all of her pride.

When Klondike came, he began talking very excitedly and looked to be trying to gain the impressions of the pony next to him. After he complimented Applejack, he told of his running into what seemed to be a rough description of Big Mac. But Big Mac was on the other side of the farm, taking care of the livestock while I'm racing, Applejack thought. Klondike continued to buy into the apple product before interrupting himself with the noticing of Survey, hoofing over a bag that he was carrying. This pony sure does notice ponies well.

As Carrot got up and dusted himself off explaining his intentions, Rose came up to them and giggled. The mares code spoke strong as she said non-verbally to Applejack that Carrot was blown away by her company. Applejack nodded to her. But she then noticed something about the grey stallion. Applejack walked up to him and looked at him closely. She paused for a moment before exclaiming, "Ah know you!! You're from Carrot farms just west of here, ain't ya? Farmin's sure is rewarding work, ain't it?" Applejack spun herself back behind the table and continued her spiel. "So rewarding, that I've decided to share my fresh apple juice with all of the athletes." Applejack looked down at the crate the juice bottles where kept in and read the tag that said 'SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE: 1 BIT'. She scuffed the letters that read this that popped back up above the table. "Only 2 bits, each."

Rose approached the table closer and questioned Applejack about her competitive nature as it related to her selling her products. "Oh, don't you worry about that! I can catch up to the fastest ponies in this race in a blink of an eye." And then it occurred to Applejack a mistake she didn't see coming. None of these ponies had any money with them. Applejack tapped her chin and thought as Rose sighed a small dose of disappointment. "I tell ya what, write yer name on this here paper and you can pay after the race." Applejack pulling a piece of paper that was lying on top of the empty crate. One side of the paper said 'SELL BY (TODAY'S DATE).' She flipped the page over and grabbed a pencil that had been lying around and placed them on the table in front of Rose and the other poor ponies. She knew that if their body spoke louder than their wallets, she would be making a boost in sales today.

ajbanner.png

Applejack knew she could win, even if she took a rest, and especially since Rainbow appears to have decided hoofracing isn't her thing. The orange pony thought that if she was going to take a break, she might as well try to make money while doing it. She shouted, "Get yer refreshin' apple juice right here! Mighty fresh and mighty sweet!" She pitched her lines to the ponies racing by her. She wasn't too concerned with them racing ahead. She knew she had plenty of time to caught up, and most of them were running the slow and steady pace, anyways. And the slower the pace, the more customers she was bound to attract.

Just as he was about to give up on finding anypony to talk to in order to keep his mind off of numerous apples around him - and just as he was about to give in to his temptation to take one after witnessing several ponies do the same ahead of him - he heard a voice offering apple juice. "Oh, thank you, sweet Celestia," he happily groaned as he looked up at the sunny sky, hoping that maybe the all powerful Princess had heard him. He picked up his pace from a trot to a canter, turning off of the track towards the stand that the orange Earth pony had ready. The pale gold Pegasus would skid to a halt in front of it, sitting onto his rear as he put his hooves on the counter. "Oh, yer a lifesaver, Miss... uhhh.." he began to praise her, pausing once he realized he didn't know her name. Her hat, however, triggered a sudden realization; he recalled reading about last years Running of the Leaves in Cloudsdale, and about how two of the top contestants ended up spending most of the race finding creative ways to hold one another back. One of them was the cyan Pegasus who also won the Best Young Flyer competition, Rainbow Dash. The other was an Earth Pony with a distinctive stetson hat named... "Applejack, isn't it?" He asked, offering a nervous grin, "Sorry, I'm still kinda new around here... I've only gotten to hear about ya, never had the pleasure t' actually meet ya."

He heard a loud shout coming from an orange pony, standing at some sort of table, with drinks on it. He smiled and rushed over there, panting and sweating. He looked at her and blushed a bit. Why did it always have to be a filly! He looked at her a bit nervous. ''H-h-hello, a-are t-those.. d-drinks?...'' he asked the hat-wearing mare, still blushing brightly red.

Just as he was about to properly introduce himself to Applejack, he noticed that a familiar pale green Unicorn approach the stand, a wry grin forming on his face as he turned to look at Survey. He stayed perfectly quiet as the timid stallion nervously asked Applejack a question, chuckling softly before finally speaking up. "Well hey, there, Survey. Fancy seein' you here," he began before noticing the number 47 on the Unicorn's flank. He raised a brow as he looked closely at it for a few moments before shifting his golden eyes back to the other stallion's face. "Yer runnin' in the race, too, eh? Can't say I was expectin' that," he chuckled again as he stood upright, "This yer first time runnin' somethin' like this?"

"Only 2 bits, each."

As he attempted to strike up conversation with the nervous Unicorn, he overheard Applejack speaking with one of the other ponies who'd come for her no doubt delicious drinks, catching that they were two bits a piece. The sudden realization that he wasn't carrying any bits on him struck him. A defeated sigh began to escape him before he heard her offer to let one of the other customer's write their name down on the paper, essentially to keep a tab for them to pay later. He casually moved closer to where she had set the paper down, waiting for his turn as he shifted his attention back to Survey. "Oh 'n uh, if ya forgot t' bring some bits, too, I'll let ya go ahead of me, Survey. You look like ya need a drink more than me," he offered with a smile.

As shanna galloped through the orchards, she finally realized she had lost sight of the huge train puller and eased her pace a bit, taking a deep breath and a moment to see the ponies around her.

Yes, he was indeed out of sight, whether he stopped to eat apples or had raced on ahead she did not know, but at least she did not feel the presure to dodge a sudden kiss.

She did a double take as she saw some ponies she knew as she went along. She giggled and did a quick wave at Mojo "OH! HI Mojo! Glad to see you again!"

Rounding a bend, Shanna nearly stopped in surprise seeing a griffon with an intense scowl on her face, muttering about beating somepony named Pinkie Pie.

She thought that sounded familiar. * ..Isnt' that one of the six heroines that stopped the Nightmare? What's her problem with a bona-fide heroine!?.. * She thought.

Shanna made a mental note to ask the griffon what the deal was with that in she got the chance. The griffon lands would have been just as doomed without the sun as the areas populated with pony-kind.

She rounded another bend, and scanned around the enourmous red barn. The first rest stop should be around here somewhere..

Shanna skidded to a stop in all four hooves, with the comical sound of screeching brakes.

An entire stand selling apple juice!

A number of other racers had already stopped and were taking advantage of it... or rather, one of the racers was taking advantage of them.

Shaking her ribboned mane, she trotted up to the stand, waving at Klondike "OH! Hello Klondike! Thanks again for the amazing job you did on our telescope!"

Shanna then turned to Applejack with a sly smirk "Oooh clever idea! Miss...Applejack, is it? Well, we will find out if you are right about catching up. I'll take an applejuice please!"

As she was fishing in her under-wing pouch for bits, she had a thought "Um, any apples for sale right here? Those still on the trees looked awfully tempting..."

-----------------------------------

Meanwhile, Hoss looked around for what was zooming around and spotted Jubilee, the Professor and another pegasus and waved "Hey! Watch out! There is something really fast and noisy buzzing around here! It almost got me a minute ago!"

His nail-sore, bandaged hoof should be clearly visible to them as he sits on a puff of cloud...

---------------------------------

Meanwhile, back at the start, among the spectators...

Madam Bistro pressed closer to Misty Magic, working her way closer throuhg the growing bunch of ponies watching the scrying window, asking again "Oh my! *ahem* May I please watch with you?"

She then gasped and looked again "Is she actually selling drinks at the first rest stop? Isnt' she one of the racers? OOooh Why didnt' I think of that?!"

Bramble ran along, feeling light as a feather. He'd never been all *that* athletic, much as he'd tried, but the feeling, as he ran through the leaves falling from those ahead of him, was nothing short of euphoric. He thrilled to the feel of the energy rushing through him, and the feeling of being truly *part* of something like he never had been before. This was as wonderful as dancing in his garden, making the flowers grow!

There was even music, just like he enjoyed for gardening! He felt his hooves falling in the thrum of the music, and it was so appropriate! o/~ And I would trot five hundred miles and I would trot five hundred more, o/~ he panted out, letting the energetic music set the pace of his hooves, grinning happily, grinning at the lovely Lyra as she ran along with him for a short pace. Sadly, neither of them had the breath to keep up that sort of pace and sing at the same time.

He let himself run faster and faster, feeling the lure of the road under his hooves. Vaguely, he remembered something his father had said when he was younger about pacing one's self ... but he wasn't sure how to figure out what a good pace was. This *felt* good, that must mean it *was* a good pace!

At least, that's how it felt till he suddenly realized that he *really* should have brought a water bottle. His throat was parched, and that sure sapped from the feeling. Still, he was amazed - he was way ahead of most of the other ponies! His chest swelled up again, and the faint ache in his legs was ignored. He was a *real* stallion after all, look how awesome he was doing!

Briefly, he wished he had his notebook, because he really wanted to write down what he was discovering, but his notebook was in his bags, back sitting all alone near the starting line. Or so he thought.

The falling leaves, the crisp scent of apples... what a beautiful display of nature! What... what a really great way to make him feel even hungrier and thirstier! He panted more fiercely, really wishing he'd thought to bring something to drink. Somehow. Then again, he'd meant to just do it for tradition, he hadn't expected to be doing so well! What was he going to -

Ah! A drink stand! How convenient! He came to a stop, panting heavily, but grinning broadly through the panting. There was a whole crowd of ponies here, getting nice crisp apple cider - one of his *favorite* parts of autumn - and taking a brief rest. Bramble came right up to the table.

"Oh, *pantpantpant* Oh, yer a lifesaver, Applejack!" he breathed, knowing the influential pony. "I thought you were racing, though!" He scrawled his mark and glanced to the side, where the grey earth pony who'd helped him back at the starting line stood with a notebook.

HIS notebook! Bramble jumped in surprise. "Oh! You found my notebook! I didn't know I lost it! Thank you, thank you so much!" He took it with a shy little smile. This earth pony had been nice enough to run all this way with it? That must have been difficult! "You are *so* kind! How can I ever repay you?"

He blinked at the look on Carrot Fields' face, then glanced at Applejack. Oh! Oh, shoot! This nice grey stallion was having a 'moment' with this filly! Bramble was breaking the colt code! Time for a casual, inconspicuous withdrawal!

"Oh, well, you two are busy doing talking stuff together, so I'll just go on with this race that I'm doing! Don't want to interrupt!" He started to run off, then came to a stop, came back, grabbed a bottle, and looked around. He laid his notebook on the table, smiled to Applejack, and said, "I'll pick this up when I come back to pay for the drink! Thank you!" He patted Carrot Fields on the shoulder. "Helpful, nice guy, this one! Cute, too!"

Bramble ran on cheerfully, then, sipping at his bottle. How nice, he was able to subtly help out the stallion who'd helped him! He'd never been a wingman before! Though he wasn't sure why it was called that... were pegasi the original wingmen? Were Pegasi especially good at that? He'd have to look that up...

Well it’s a pleasure to meet you too Miss Droll. That sailor’s song you were singing was rather catchy and fun. Shame you didn’t catch the name though.

Dotty Droll nodded as Klondike explained his profession. She could appreciate his enthusiasm for fixing. Dotty herself had spruced plenty of chipped and crumbling antiques.

Suddenly her companion trailed off his tangent. Dotty thought he looked distracted. His ear kept twitching and she meant to ask about it. Then Dotty too noticed ponies lining up to a stall on the side of the path. She saw the orange, hatted pony that ran the stall peddling juice.

Say Miss Droll? Care for a drink? I’ll go fetch us some!

Oh um..

But he was gone before she could reply. Dotty paced a bit wondering if she should follow Klondike or continue on and wait for him to catch up. The latter seemed rude so Dotty got to the side of the path. She watched from under an apple tree as Klondike chatted up the pony running the stall. He paused and looked himself over. Dotty wondered what was the matter. He look dejected but, then he spotted a unicorn and his face was animated once again.

What a funny gentlecolt.

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

*snap!* Ginger Mint finally caught one of the falling apple leaves in her mouth. It had a surprisingly earthy taste to it, and a little hint of bitter. She slowly chewed on the leaf, trying to savor the sensation while hunting for an aftertaste, but the tang of exertion made it difficult to judge.

Perhaps a little rough around the edges by itself, but I bet it would go great with some raw zucchini or perhaps wrapped around a slice of grapefruit with a little salt and bit of steam...

She was no longer weaving back and fourth across the path but she was still lost in thought and almost didn't hear the otherwise attention grabbing call from some distance behind her.

"Get yer refreshin' apple juice right here! Mighty fresh and mighty sweet!"

She saw the orange colored mare with a quick glance over her flank, making a little snort as she realized what was going on. She had already passed by the barn and wasn't about to stop now, let alone turn around, but she couldn't help but feel a hint of regret.

Maybe she'll have more for sale down the road, I'll have to ask about it when she...

Ginger Mint did a double take, looking back behind herself to check if she had seen things right. Several ponies were collapsed on the ground along the path behind her, some of which were being attended to by other racers and at least one of which had clearly fallen face first into the dirt.

I didn't think this race was an obstacle course!

She looked around herself, imagining dozens of treacherous roots sticking up out of the ground, just waiting for somepony to run by and trip over, but the track looked just as smooth as when she first ran across it. What if all the roots and rocks were just hard to see? What if they'd been purposefully hidden? Was somepony trying to sabotage the race? She shook her head and tried to banish the thought, chiding herself for letting her imagination run along in the race as well.

They probably just over-exerted themselves and need to take a break, yeah, thats gotta be it. Surely nopony is such a poor sport to try something like that.

It made perfect sense, or at least, a whole lot more sense than the idea of some masked bandit skulking around in the bushes, trying to trip everypony up. Her growing wariness feeling entirely at odds with her desire to forge ahead.

"Just how long is this race supposed to be?"

The wariness in her mind won out as she realized that she didn't know the answer. She hadn't even thought to ask! She knew she could gallop for a mile or two, but after that she wasn't so sure. For all she knew this trail could be a dozen or more, and with that in mind, she reluctantly slowed to a trot.

She briefly considered switching to her ambling tölt but she quickly disregarded the idea. It had taken her forever to learn the gait as a filly and she still hated it. Sure it was faster and yes, the extra control was useful when cutting through traffic, but it just felt so... unnatural. Using it over a short distance was one thing, but the thought of maintaining it for miles put a sour expression on her face.

Pull it together Ginger Mint, focus focus focus fo... Is that pony bouncing!?

Up ahead she could see an unmistakably bright pink pony that was bounding along the path. Ginger Mint had never seen a gait like that before. There was a look of determination on her face, and yet she was gliding through the air in a way that could only be described as... effortless. Ginger Mint's curiosity got the better of her and she decided to try it out for herself before she had to start climbing back up the other side of the valley.

"One two, one two aaaand...OW!"

It turned out that bouncing through the air was anything but effortless... She had only made it through a couple of bounces before her forelegs let her know, in no uncertain terms, that this method of travel was going to be entirely unacceptable. The fastest trot she could muster would have to do for now, but she resolved to try that bouncing trick later, perhaps when nopony else was watching.

With a blush of embarrassment, she glanced back over her flank to see just who had been watching. Most everypony else behind her were distracted by other interests, one particular dark red stallion however, was galloping up behind her quickly. Now that she'd settled back into her trot, he'd be sure to pass by in a moment.

"Fine day fa' racing, huh?"

He sure seems excited. Wait, is he addressing me? I gotta say something...

Ginger Mint took an extra deep breath before hollering back over her shoulder as the unfamiliar pony passed her by.

"Honestly, it was nicer earlier this morning, but I shouldn't complain."

Ginger Mint's face scrunched up into a little frown. Did I really just say that? That didn't come out quite as I was expecting... I must sound like a snob and a flip-flopper.

(ooc): Oops, I neglected to respond to this dialogue action AWAY FROM THE MAIN RACE in the sky and in the spectator's section.

[snip]

-----------------------------------

Meanwhile, Hoss looked around for what was zooming around and spotted Jubilee, the Professor and another pegasus and waved "Hey! Watch out! There is something really fast and noisy buzzing around here! It almost got me a minute ago!"

His nail-sore, bandaged hoof should be clearly visible to them as he sits on a puff of cloud...

"Vee know, young pony," Professor Krashkop neighed. "It is Saddlesore testing mein newest invention, und vee cannot stop him!"

"Jubilee here tried and nearly fell to her doom," added Louise.

"That jet pack is solar powered and it has no off switch, because SOMEPONY forgot to install one!" Julibee neighed.

"Details, details. Dee fine print gets me all dee time," muttered the green Pegasus stallion.

"We have to find a way to save Saddlesore before he hurts himself!" neighed Louise.

---------------------------------

Meanwhile, back at the start, among the spectators...

Madam Bistro pressed closer to Misty Magic, working her way closer throuhg the growing bunch of ponies watching the scrying window, asking again "Oh my! *ahem* May I please watch with you?"

She then gasped and looked again "Is she actually selling drinks at the first rest stop? Isnt' she one of the racers? OOooh Why didnt' I think of that?!"

Suddenly, Starflower and Misty Magic stopped staring at the shimmering portal and looked back at Madam Bistro.

"Of course you may watch with us," Starflower said with a smile.

"As long as this thing holds up," added Misty, "I accidentally created it with my magic, so I have no idea how much longer it will last."

"It's rather odd that Applejack stopped racing and is now selling apple juice to participants. After all, LAST year she galloped all out and had a fight with Rainbow Dash before crossing the finish line in a tie for last place."

"I think this shows that Applejack is a good sport! Helping her competitors like this."

"Well, she's helping the Apple Family too by earning money for them, not that there's anything wrong with that."

"Nothing wrong with that at all."

Carrot Fields felt like he was holding his breath, even though he was not, in anticipation of the orange filly's reaction to his clumsy failure at making a suave first impression. It was bad enough that a crowd was starting to form, but then a reddish unicorn filly went and giggled at his awkward display. This wasn't going well...

Then the orange filly spoke to him that she knew of him and his farm! Oh Luna, she knows me?! Oi guess it makes sense 'at she'd seen me, if Oi've seen her too. Nae as if Oi was hidin'. But Oi've a reason tae look at her! She's powerful, an' stunnin'! Oye, dumbtail, she's waitin' fer ye tae answer! "Aye! Aye, tis, no doubt! Oi quite enjoy farmin'! Oi do indeed!" Oh Luna, that sounded so absolutely dorky! He almost flinched from vividly imagining his sire just then whapping him on the back of the head for being such a dumbtail in front of her. How to leave with some sort of good impression?

He had to buy one of her drinks now! And well enough, too, since he just now realized that he'd forgotten to drink Purple Haze's carrot smoothie! Oh, she was going to get on his case about that! He signed happily on the IOU paper and took one of the drinks, then nodded and grinning broadly. He could already feel a blush spreading over his face. Ach, why was he so obvious?

It was just than the cute purple unicorn filly he'd met at the starting line showed up, noticing the notes he'd been carrying this whole time. Before Carrot even had a chance to give them back, she had snagged the notes from him. Man, he'd been intending to be all gentlecoltly and polite when he returned them, and here he was panting from the run and trying to meet his neighbor ... how could he manage two pretty fillies at the same -

Carrot paused and took a closer look at the 'unicorn filly' ... and nearly swallowed his tongue! "She" was a stallion! He blushed even more just sat there silently drinking his applejuice, not sure what to think, when that same unicorn suddenly started babbling awkwardly, before telling the orange filly how helpful and cute he was?! Carrot was overwhelmed, just staring, stunned, his face burning up. Was this unicorn trying to help him?!

Panic rose up in him - he had to go, and quick! "Aye, that was a bonnie bit ah nibbles! Was just what Oi needed, thanks! Was roit tasty, that was! Thankee again!" With that, Carrot quickly ran back to the race trail, awkwardly pretending he was just focused on the race. After all, with so many ponies stopping off at the stand or in the orchard, he certainly could regain the lead now!

Oh, ponyfeathers, he felt embaressed. Did he screw that up? Had the other ponies been laughing or helping? Had she been weirded out? Well, at least he'd gotten to meet the neighbor. And he'd be able to meet her again when he went back to pay!

"Oh horsefeathers! Ye fergot tae ask her name! Or tell her yers!! Ach, Carrot, ye are a dumbtail!"

"I um... sure, but... if you wouldn't mind too terribly much... I don't want to get left too far behind." Holly Dash, despite herself, was a little bit flabbergasted by the pony. She was obviously hungry, and nopony she ever knew could ever think of winning a race without something to fuel them onward. Was it something about herself? She looked down at the fruit in her basket--thinking maybe there was something wrong there. No, they were as beautiful as the day they were plucked--no bruises or bugs. She could still taste a bit of their sweet flavor in her mouth. But the mare before her seemed to have already gotten up in her mindless pondering, and she immediately went to follow. Before she knew it, though, the blue unicorn had turned back towards her, as though she had forgotten something.

"Um... my name's Stormsong... and you are?"

Holly smiled and magicked the basket between them, "The name is Holly Dash, it's a pleasure to meet you, Stormsong. I'm a fruit vendor--but I love a good race!! Nopony in Equestria could keep me from participating!" Her voice held the odd accent that came from living in the rough town of Beakbreak all of her life--similar to a griffon's cynical tone, but with the soft melodic note of a gentle pony. She magicked out a berry and munched on it, "But nopony in Equestria is gonna be finishin' this race on an empty stomach! And since I ALWAYS wake up late in the mornin'--I hid this basket here, so I could catch breakfast on the way."

She gave a smile to her fellow unicorn, "Perhaps we could run together? I don't have many pals in Equestria--I know someponies from sellin' on the road, but I haven't been doin' that too terribly long..." She couldn't help the frown that came as she thought of her life before she left Beakbreak. She looked back up to the mare, and returned the smile to her face, "We could be friends, though. If you want."

Rose grinned widely upon hearing Applejack offer to let her buy the drinks on credit. "Oh, thank Luna! You're a lifesaver, AJ!" With as much haste as she could, she scribbled her name, then after a minute's deliberation, she scribbled down "4 bits", levitating two bottles. "I'll have the money for you after the race, plus enough for one of your awesome pies!" She felt the brief urge to give Applejack a hug, but she knew it would be a huge faux pas. Plus she didn't want to get any of Applejack's sweat on her. She had enough of her own.

She took a swig of one bottle, licked her lips, and pointed herself back to the road. "Good luck, y'all!" she said to the growing crowd around Applejack's impromptu stand, then set off at a canter, ready to resume the race.

"Honestly, it was nicer earlier this morning, but I shouldn't complain."

Douglas was starting to carry past the mare when she answered him. She was a pale Chartreuse, although to Douglas she seemed an off white matched with a delicate green. He forced himself to slow down to her trot, almost at a comical pace and getting a little ahead of the mare through the sheer momentum he carried. If she was willing to talk than he'd happily oblige the mare. Turning his head to face her he was able to get a better look and he was suddenly doing his best not to nip his bottom lip in suspense. She was rather cute, his luck, now if only he could himself from locking up or saying something stupid.

"Well...I suppose it was nice this morning. But with fall bringing in the cooler weather I guess it would." Douglas replied, doing his best to make sure his accent didn't slip through. "So, why are you running today?"

Douglas had planned to carry himself far into the next leg before slowing his pace, but he had to admit, some gentle talking amogst fellow racers and possible friends was worth more than a good finish. Allowing the mare to catch up with him before continuing at her pace he listened intently to her response before offering a gentle nod. He began to wonder where else he could aim their conversation until he remembered he hadn't given his name yet. "My apologizes, my name is Douglas Trotter. It's nice to meet you. I gotta say, I'm surprised to see some ponies slowing their pace so early. This race is suppose to be very long."

He continued to travel in step with the mare, giving a quick glance ahead to make sure he didn't lose his heading, as well as to see how far it was till they left Sweet Apple Acres. "Oh come on you foal...think of something..." his mind shouted at him, although his soft smile concealed the argument underneath.

With a modest chuckle, Swift shrugged at the compliment. "Pleased to meet you, Zephyr Burst. I am Swift Breeze, of the Mylit Elpo Nis temple in Roughrider Ridge." His gaze briefly flicks upward before back to the course. "The countryside here is quite beautiful. The ponies here are surely blessed by the Princess." His gaze moves back up to the sky, looking at the contrail in the sky. "...though, I am not certain the same could be said for that individual."

He looks ahead, letting out an impressed whistle at a few ponies around. "There are plenty of swift and strong hooves around, so the leaves are sure to fall. I believe I see some that do not have hooves, as well. It is certainly different from how we remove the leaves where I am from. Though, mountains do not easily lend themselves to hoof races."

He glances back to the course ahead as he runs, then back up to the sky. "I wonder if he needs assistance." He looks at his bindings, then to his racing neighbor. "...it may be enough of an emergency to free my wings. The masters of the temple would be most cross, were the situation not dire." Back to the course ahead. "Perhaps the thick blanket could be useful in helping the poor, screaming pony."

His features wear a determined look for a good distance as he considers the situation, glancing occasionally upwards as he weighs his options. With a nod, he reaches back and gives a strong pull at the rope holding the blanket around his midsection. As the rope falls away, he catches the blanket between his teeth. His wings spread wide and he lifts off! With a brief wave to Zephyr, he begins climbing to the jetpack-propelled pony's altitude, not that he knew of such things as jetpacks and science. Determination reigns on his features, his braided mane and tail swaying behind him.

The basket full of berries the other pony had been offering to share positioned itself between Stormsong and the other mare, hovering above the ground at just the right spot for them both to partake of the fruit within. "The name is Holly Dash, it's a pleasure to meet you, Stormsong. I'm a fruit vendor--but I love a good race!! Nopony in Equestria could keep me from participating!" the other pony told her before levitating a berry out and eating it. There was something strange about Holly's accent that Stormsong couldn't quite place; it definitely didn't originate from anywhere she had ever been during her travels before. It roused her curiosity, and for the umpteenth time she wished to be able to leave Canterlot more often, but running the family business would have to come first.

"But nopony in Equestria is gonna be finishin' this race on an empty stomach! And since I ALWAYS wake up late in the mornin'--I hid this basket here, so I could catch breakfast on the way." Holly echoed Stormsong's thoughts of just moments ago. Following the other mare's example, Stormsong magicked a berry out of the basket between them and wolfed it down, subconsciously disregarding her manners in a sudden surge of hunger. The sweet flavor of the fruit flooded her mouth and she closed her eyes a moment, all the better to savor what had to be the most delicious berries in Equestria. It was then that something Holly had said sunk fully into Stormsong's hunger-ridden brain: vendor. Of course, Stormsong didn't have any money on her, she had left everything she brought from Canterlot with her family so it wouldn't weigh her down while she was running. She was going to have to make sure she paid Holly for the berries she ate out here before going to see about getting that load of apples.

"Perhaps we could run together? I don't have many pals in Equestria--I know someponies from sellin' on the road, but I haven't been doin' that too terribly long..." Holly trailed off for a moment, frowning as if reflecting on some painful memory. Stormsong had been about to politely refuse running together, as she would rather her only companions be the scenery and her thoughts, but she revised that plan upon hearing that Holly didn't have many friends. She knew well what it was like to not have many friends, and even though she was terribly afraid of meeting new ponies, she still couldn't stand having so few to hang out with. Holly's smile returned to her face, and she once again echoed Stormsong's thoughts by saying, "We could be friends, though. If you want."

"I'd love to be friends! I don't really have that many because I'm so, um... well, a lot of ponies where I grew up thought I was strange." Stormsong replied to her, preparing herself to get moving again. She was certain there was absolutely no way she'd catch up with the rest of the pack by now, but her family would be waiting on her all the same, and if she was going to finish last, she at least wanted it to be close. "I'm not much good when it comes to racing, but we could certainly run together if you wanted, I'd really enjoy the company. You see I'm not really from around here, I run a restaurant in Canterlot, so I don't know anypony." Magicking another berry out of the basket, Stormsong faced down the path and finally resumed her previous trot, hoping that Holly would follow along.

Klondike’s attention was suddenly pulled away by his still twitching right ear as it caught somepony greeting him. Turning around he spotted one of the Skybright twins.

“Ah! It’s been a while umm…” He paused for a second as he looked the pony over from head to hoof, not wanting to repeat the same mistake as when they first stopped by his repair shop. “Miss Skybright!” He finally said with a smile as he observed Shanna make her way to Applejack. “Glad to hear the repairs were to your liking.” He could not help but grin a bit knowing that his reputation was spreading.

After her transaction was done, he nodded politely at Shanna before taking his turn at the applejuice stand. “If you ever need anything else fixed, please stop by again. I’ll be more than glad to help you and your brother out again. Speaking of which, is he running too? Just want to make sure that if I spot him in the race I know its him and not you, unless it is you and not him.” Making small talk as he waited for his turn at the stand, he could not help but blush at bit at just how awkward that must have sounded. But, being Klondike, he simply shrugged it off and continued waiting.

Once his turn finally came, he looked at the proprietor with a toothy grin on his face as he began his order again.

“Ah, Miss… Applejack, is it?" He had heard the other ponies address her as such. "I’d like two of your apple juices please.” He politely asked as he picked up the pencil and began to write his name down on the piece of paper. As soon as he had written down his name, his eyebrows shot up in surprise as a small proposition came to mind.

“Say, Miss Applejack? The red coated stallion I spoke with earlier mentioned your farm needs a few repairs every now and then. I just so happen to be a repair pony and own a shop in Ponyville.” He kept on smiling as his tone changed to a more business like one. “I am more than willing to pay for these drinks once the race is over. But, if you are willing to do a trade, business pony to repair pony, I’d be more than glad to do a free repair on your farm in exchange for the drinks. How does that sound?”

Klondike was an honest pony, so he was good for the bits, but he knew that offering to do a repair for what was relatively such a small fee was a perfect way to show off his work and get his business some new clients.

He eagerly waited for her reply as he spotted Dotty Droll near a tree. Soon he would take the drinks over there and rest a bit before returning to the race again.

ajbanner.png

Applejack thought Carrot was funny. Seeing him trip on his words and seeing the purple unicorn interrupt him was entertaining. Forever, is what it seemed like, while the two stallions fumbled each other their strange verbal and nonverbal communications. As Carrot trotted off spilling his sweat, Applejack chuckled at his goofy nervous twitches and cross-legged style of running.

She then noticed all of the ponies that had been writing their names down with the best penponyship their mouths could make. Rose tried talking while she wrote, and she enunciated surprisingly well. Rose had expressed her wish to buy not one but two bottles of juice and a pie as, what AJ thought, would be a good second place prize. Applejack's pupils turned to the shapes of dollar signs. She was so happy that all of the thirsty ponies had taken the bait.

However, Applejack started noticing the number of passing ponies dwindle to just a few slow trotting ponies who were mostly looking at the scenery, some of them even taking pictures. Applejack looked into the direction of the third leg of the race, and began to sweat as she realized how far behind she might have been getting.

Klondike began proposing repairs he could make for the farm. Applejack didn't really know how to respond, seeing as the race was made with mostly random haste decision-making. "Oh yeah, maybe." Applejack smiled to shrug off the proposal. She didn't want to be mean, but she didn't need any help. And if she did, she wouldn't be making arrangements during a race like this, even if she sold a few bottles of apple juice during the run. "I mean, maybe we can talk about it later?" Applejack was so preoccupied by the writing of names, and the list of names was becoming a larger task that seemed to slow everypony down, including herself.

"All righty, then. Just put your names down, and uh, and. uh..." Applejack saw the ponies slowly write their names down and it was making her very impatient. After a light blue pegasus had put her own name down, she questioned on the possibility to buy some apples. Still eye-balling the paper and seeing a pony named Mobius write his name down slowly, Applejack responded, "Uh, yes ma'am, uh, that'll be uh four bits for a bushel and uh, uh..." Applejack couldn't take it anymore. She swiped the paper from underneath Mobius and stuck it into her hat for safe keeping. "That's good enough! See ya'll at the finish line!"

Applejack took the remaining apple juices and threw them into the empty crate. She used her very strong forelegs to shove the crate and the table back behind the barn where she had gotten them. Applejack began galloping through the orchard passing all of the apple trees in the area. She had not forgotten Shanna's request, however. She ran up to an apple tree close to the path and kicked it violently with her hind legs. Almost all of the apples had fallen on or near the path, creating a hazard for ponies trying to run through the blanket of round fruit. Applejack shouted back to Shanna and the other ponies, "Here! These apples are on the house!" Applejack continued running and catching up with the lead pack at the other end of the orchard, the tree's leaves mostly coating the farmland floor. Applejack didn't feel too bad about creating an obstacle for the other ponies. After all, they did ask for apples.

Applejack began running with three legs as she attempted to look at the paper she had stuck in her hat. One name read 'Carrot Fields'. As Applejack stuck the names back into her hat and maintained the four-leg gallop, she chuckled. This was one of her best ideas. And with the second leg of the race coming to and end, she was excited to see how many ponies she could pass in the next few miles to come.

"It's a lovely view..." she thought.

Mayday kept herself at the back of the pack, watching the swarm flowing down the path like waves splatting through the beach, it was an astounding sight. However only a moment after, she already felt that this run will be forever imprinted in her mind. Even if Ponyville is a small town, she is impressed... Nopony are alike, but at the same time so similar; so full spirit and strength. Each and every one of the participating pony celebrating their life. Embossing their story by being alive.

She have yet to get short on breath yet... Though she can tell a few ponies are. Still, it is a race. There is no point in slowing down or speeding up. She takes her time to enjoy every steps, for each of them conveys the universal pride that come from entering a first race. And in a strange town, to beat. A town she have yet to grow familiar with. She already expected that there will be no cheering, for no pony else here even knows her name. She knows there will be no no tales for other, for she have no friends near by to tell. Yet, the joyfulness and spirituous manner of the surrounding ponies give her a surreal feeling... Something is off, something is motivating her. Is it the Scenery? Is it the athletic capability? She continues to run, silently as she question herself.

She knows it when she sees it, this town is.. not only off, but weird. Is that orange pony selling juice? Isn't she one of the runner? Is that.. pony singing? Wait, the apple are free? Perhaps none of theme are particularly outstanding while you are considering the atmosphere in all of Equestria. However, this is still a race!

Largely, she keeps it to herself, for she does not recognizes any ponies. None for her to really reach out at. Still, she took one as she get close enough to grabs one of those apple that are currently on the house from one of the generous Orange colored pony as she passes by the offering.

As she bites down into the apple, she come to an odd realization.

"I.. felt like I am supposed to... do something weird..." she spokes to herself...

Oh, what the hay.

"♫ If your mane catch on fire, remember this my foal, just do as you were told, with a Stop, drop and roll. Just Stop, drop, and roll! Stop, drop, and roll! Stop, drop, and roll! ♪"

"♫ And that's how it's roll! ♪" ((ooc: Sing to Hop skip and jump ))

And she continues her running quite cheerfully so, evidently, by the singing.