ROTL Leaderboard - Final Rankings!

I want to thank and congratulate everypony that participated in this years' running of the leaves event! I know it came early, but you were all troopers and stuck with it, and I am frankly impressed with the amount of interactive RP that emerged from this whole concept. I would very much like to hear your feedback about the race, and any ideas to mix it up/alter this type of system for future events. This is very important to me so please take the time to provide feedback and your thoughts- I busted my flanks for two weeks, please take a few minutes to let me know what you think can be done better/differently, and what went well!

As a thank-you for participating, Artax and I (which means I talked a lot and he did all the real work), have come up with a few special awards to give to everypony that participated in the event. Those few lucky ponies who managed to take the top three slots will get a much more rare, special award celebrating their achievement! Congratulations you guys! You are what make this board worth having, and this is a little way for us to reward those who participate in the site's special events! Wear your award with pride- there are only going to be 37 of them on the entire board! :o

And now finally, what you are all waiting for! Here is the current leader board for the Running of the Leaves, 2011 as per the first FINAL segment of the race! THIS IS IT! Your winners and final rankings are below!

Thanks for being patient everypony- updating this every other night has been a real challenge with everything else going on in my life, but I had a ton of fun doing it. You are all worth it; and I would do it again. And I probably will many times :heart:

The Leaderboard Final Results:

Leaderboard7-1-1.jpg

Leaderboard7-2-1.jpg

For reference:

Scores are shown above- the first number is the random 'roll of the die' score, the second number are points awarded for RP quality, length, and pozzaz! My scoring range is 0- not much there, 1 - A bit minimal, saw room for expansion, 2 - Good RP post covering all of the bases, 3 - Very good RP, including reacting and initiating interaction with other ponies, or in some way adding a unique and delicious flavor to the RP.

• Like 1

I posted this in General OOC, but I'll post it here too. This is a google doc that displays the latest scores as the race runs, and will be updated regularly. This document is public so that anyone can eidt it, because I trust that no pony will do something stupid. If your character does not have a 'flank number' on the chart, go ahead and make one and save it. There's really no need to edit anything else, I can do the rest.

I may also create future visual aides to help show what the 'packs' of ponies actually looks like.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvFYk1O5HrSrdGl0UERSbFpndWc1QVd3SjZZN0xVd2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

• Like 2

Wow, I can't believe Klondike is 15th in the race. Those dice rolls, they be brutal. Still, its been really fun so far.

Ponies 1st - 14th place, keep up the effort. Don't make it too easy for the rest of use to catch up cause then its no fun.

Ponies 16th - 37th place, woohoo! Come on ponies, lets give the leading ponies a run for their money.

Double fives so far. I'm really pretty lucky.

Not Holly Dash and Mayday lucky, but my Gilda still has a real fair shot at this. :grin:

Come on, Gilda. We can beat these lame ponies. :20:

• Like 1

Quick suggestion. Can we get a general spectators thread for this event... like very very soon. I was talking with Bannhammer and his character Max wouldn't race, but would definitely be taking/placing bets. Instead of putting all that into the current running thread, all side stuff could be filtered to that. Links can be made directly to specific posts, so someone could link to a specific post in the event if they're referencing something. Just a suggestion, but it would be best if it was up asap so these things can be started. :D

• Like 1

Quick suggestion. Can we get a general spectators thread for this event... like very very soon. I was talking with Bannhammer and his character Max wouldn't race, but would definitely be taking/placing bets. Instead of putting all that into the current running thread, all side stuff could be filtered to that. Links can be made directly to specific posts, so someone could link to a specific post in the event if they're referencing something. Just a suggestion, but it would be best if it was up asap so these things can be started. :grin:

Done

Yeah... knight's luck here is incredible... :o Congratulations!

That said, I'm certainly in no spot to complain after a third high roll...

Second place! Come on, GIlda! All your dreams are well within your grasp... :twisted:

Question. It might be just me but shouldn't everyone in the race get the d6 rolls even if they didn't post in that segment. It isn't as if their character isn't racing they just were being boring about it. Not getting the bonus RP points should be the only loss to those people. Don't cripple them by taking away their random rolls.

• Like 1

Question. It might be just me but shouldn't everyone in the race get the d6 rolls even if they didn't post in that segment. It isn't as if their character isn't racing they just were being boring about it. Not getting the bonus RP points should be the only loss to those people. Don't cripple them by taking away their random rolls.

I didn't want to come into a situation where a person RP'ed once or twice, but still managed to luck out with high rolls and end up taking one of the top slots. I've thought about this dynamic a lot though, and I think i've come up with a solution for future events of this nature. If someone doesnt RP they get a random roll, but it will only be between the 1-3 range, instead of the full 1-6 randomized chance. The people who put in the most effort *should* be the leaders of the race; even as it is we have a few users who have put in tons of effort and rolled 1's consistently; and I view that more of a flaw than awarding points to individuals who arent even around to RP the event getting too far behind.

But its pretty much a lottery system; its supposed to be random, with just slight ability to give yourself an edge.

I am not sure it would be fair to change the rules now; it was clearly stated before the event that if you didnt RP you wouldnt recieve points for either section; so i dont feel that its unfair to anyone- I hope everyone read the rules and understood what would happen clearly if they didn't make a post. At this point, i'm not sure it would benefit or please the whole to change the rules now to benefit those who havnt been RP'ing in each segment.

I totally understand about RL getting in the way of posting during a segment or two, but the point of the race *is* to participate in it.

Other ideas have been suggested too, such as random 'sprint' opportunities where a thread is thrown up for only a few hours; and anyone that posts in that thread will benefit from a 'second wind', or a 'sprint opportunity'. It adds a lot more dynamic and random chance, but favors those who are using the subscription feature and frequenting the threads- These things may come into play during another contest in the future. As it is, this contest is a little bit of a test-drive in concept; there will be kinks, but thats why i'm taking suggestions like yours into consideration to make the next event better <3