Section 7 - The Home Stretch

Finally, she was almost there. After the long run, Willow Wisp was almost home. She was still a sticky mess and the first thing she planned to do when she got through all this, was bathe. A nice, long, bath. Maybe she'd even splurge and do something she would hardly ever do, go to the spa.

Those thoughts raced through her mind as she galloped down the final stretch of trail. She may not have been running all that hard through most of the event, trying to pace herself, but now she was going at a full gallop. She didn't want to be out there anymore. Races weren't her kind of thing to start with, no she wished for a more fun and running free fall activity. And she was sure that the following year she would not be running again.

"Almost Wisp! Just a little further."

There it was in the faint distance, the finish line. Her ears flattened against her head and she pushed forward with a burst of speed. She didn't notice the ponies she was pushing past, she just wanted to be done.

"Gonna make it, gonna make it!"

hollydashcharacter.png

Holly had a serious lag in the home stretch, but thank Celestia that that orange earth pony—Applejack—had come along. She had been too stunned initially to spare a response or a courteous hoof shake to the orange earth pony, and had stood mind-numb, and quivers shaking as she wheezed, finally catching her breath, inhaling the sweet air as though it was the last air she would breathe. She had never realized how much she depended on her mouth before! It was still swollen and red from the tear from the stubborn sap.

She sighed, and when she was finally ready to speak to the orange pony, it would seem, was still with her, and hadn’t bolted off from the race. She was just lowering an offered hoof, as Holly had missed the extended courtesy in her grope for breath.

"Heh, heh. That's ok. These things happen. Well, the best thing to do now is just run it out. Now that you can at least run, you should just work on finishing the race, and we're almost done! I'll run with you if you don't mind."

Holly smiled at that, and as she responded, she couldn’t help but notice the sting on her lips, “I’d…really…*cough* like that very much, miss Applejack.”

She smiled back at the earth pony, “I suppose there’s no way I’ll beat that cheating griffon now, huh?”

She turned back, realizing she so rudely had not returned the introduction, nor confirmed her presence during the parasprite infestation.

“OH, my apologies. My name is Holly Dash. I was here around the time of that…swarm,” She chuckled slightly, her voice thick with the odd accent of Beakbreak, it almost had a southern hint like Applejack, but was dingy, tainted with something, and almost cleaner at the same time, “I sell fruit, you see. I had actually just started selling fruit when I came to Ponyville…and half mah stock was eaten—Ah’ve heard that somepony got rid of them nasty bugs, though, so Ah’ll have to come back and give you a sample of my wares some time.”

While she was yapping, she had unwittingly started galloping along with the orange earth pony. Being here with the yellow-maned pony made her feel awful about how she had told Stormsong that she would run with her, and deserted her for the sake of competition. She felt ashamed. She would be sure to apologize to her friend at the finish line.

“So, Applejack, was it?” She grinned humorously, and as they galloped into the home stretch, she looked at her running companion, “How DID somepony get rid of those durn parasprites?”

As his friends rejoiced around him, Mojo raised a hoof in the air to stop the celebration.

"Half a mo', everypony," the Paint stallion said. "I want to see how the other racers are doing."

The hippie brony trotted back to the finish line to see where his new friends were.

"I don't see Shanna. I really need to thank her again for her help during the race. And where's Klondie? And Rose Madder? Can't see much through all those fallin' leaves. I really need to tell Lyra how sorry I am for acting like a lovesick foal. I hope Applejack's alright too."

As he stood deep in thought, Jubilee flew up to him.

"Look Modge, I saw what happened with you and Lyra. If you want to talk about it.."

"Thanks for the offer, Wings, but it was all a bit of a miscue on me own part. Can't be upset with Lyra over that. Not her mistake, it was all mine. She and I are going to talk when all this is done and I'm gonna tell her I'm sorry bout the entire mess."

"But you seemed so happy with her, just as happy I am to be going with Hoss to the Post Race Dance."

"Not to worry, Wings. I'll be fine. We've seen rougher times before."

"Ok big guy. I've got to get ready for my date tonight. WOW! Me with a handsome Pegasus! Dancing the night away!"

"Not much for dancin' meself, Wings. You two have a go at it. Just hope Gilda's not too angry about that rock I hit'r with."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Immediately, Starflower spotted Hoss's injured leg and rushed over to him.

"I'll need to treat your leg right away, Hoss," the light blue unicorn said as she floated her black bag over by her side. "Come over here and have a seat so I can examine it properly."

"Ja! You vant no chance of infection, Heir Hoss!" added Professor Krashkop. "I vould listen to dee nurse if I vere you!"

Misty smiled at Snail's enthusiasm. She really didn't know what to say to him. This mass teleportation was yet another one of her magical 'mistakes'. She never meant to do it. In fact, she never realized she had such a high level of magical power. The yellow unicorn didn't know whether to feel excited, proud, or afraid of herself. Not wanting to spoil the moment, she decided to help encourage the unicorn colt.

"You'll get there someday, Snails. Just don't give up on yourself. It'll take time, but you can do it!"

Shanna nickered and moved around, seeing the ponies she had met or seen in passing. Some were still crossing the line as she trotted around.

She called out to Douglas Trotter and Mobeus as they crossed the line, even if she didnt know who they were "Dont forget! Walk for a while or your muscles will get sore and cramp." She also saw Lyra and waved to her as she went along.

Some of her friends were at the back with Mojo and she waved a wing at them before the herd closed in agan between them. "Mojo! Make sure you walk for a while okay? Dont want you getting cramps."

Shanna suddenly noticed the Diamond Dog was still there where he lay. She walked up and poked him with a hoof "Hay, you okay there?"

-----------------------------------------

Hoss was awaiting a reply from Swift Breeze, when Starflower came up to him.

he nickered "Oh sorry, just a second, Swift Breeze.." He touched down, and favored his right hind for a few steps until he could sit down beside the blue unicorn.

"I stepped on a nail last night, possibly a horseshoe nail, while I was practicing on the roads nearby. Nurse Red Heart wrapped it with a poltice to draw out any dirt and kill any infection that got in, but I had to remove the bandage to wipe off the Poison Joke. I could not help touching down several times even with my wings going full blast when I was rescuing ponies in that last stretch."

When she inspects it, his hoof will already be feeling warmer, the sign of a slight infection...

Madam Bistro neighed from the sidelines and waved a hoof at Swift Breeze "Fancy meeting you here, Swift!"

Meanwhile, Snails bounced on his hooves, eyes shining brightly as Misty gave him encouragement "I'll do it Miz. Misty! Thank ya' very much!"

ajbanner.png

Griffon!? Applejack couldn't believe her ears. It's seemed that everypony, or non-pony, was racing this race. And it was most positively Gilda, since she was the only Griffon that's ever come near Ponyville in the last year or so.

"You sell fruit too! Well, goll-y, everypony knows that fruits sell better when they are together. Next time you come to Ponyville, you should set up shop right next to apple cart I set up in the marketplace. We'll make a ton o' bits." Applejack grinned happily but tried hard to keep her focus just enough to not trip over the loose branches left over from the last storm. "Well, apparently, them parathingies enjoy a rootin' hootin' time listenin' to polka style musics. We have Pinkie Pie to thank for that!" Applejack tried to keep up with Holly, but was having a hard time doing it. But as they made the last turn out of the forest, the finish line is visible from the treeline.

She remembered this course all too well. This was the same part of the trail where her tussle with Rainbow Dash for last place began last year. But this year was different. Applejack was surprisingly satisfied with her position. She wasn't winning, nor was she making crazy speed against the ponies behind her. She was enjoying a healthy jog to finish the race. After all the things she had dealt with this time, she actually wasn't even that exhausted. She could have easily used more energy in trying to set a winning pace. But with the riding on Big Macintosh's back for a nice portion of the race and the pit stop she made with Granola and Carrot, Applejack conserved more energy than she ever has at this point of the race. And since she didn't plan on winning anymore, there was little reason to push herself with a sprint to the finish line. She saw several ponies in front and behind her, all with battle scars and tree sap stains from the race.

She turned to the ponies around her and saw a tan pony call out her name and thank her for the apple juice she sold the pony back during the farm section of the race. Like Applejack, he seemed to be in very good spirits, as well. "Oh! No problem!" She huffed. Mobius was slightly quicker than her, so Applejack sped up in order to continue the conversation. "I like helpin' the pony folk!"

Then, it came to Applejack's attention that she still had the list of names stuck in her hat of all of the ponies that owed her money from buying apple juice. Applejack wondered how she would go about reminding the ponies of their I.O.U.'s. How in the world could she be emotionally invested in the race and selling her products and then take advantage of the ponies that had helped her in the race? Applejack took only a few seconds to think about what she should do.

She looked up at the sky to see Granny Smith riding in an air-driven chariot watching the racing ponies below. She didn't know why she was there, but she was just the pony she wanted to talk to. "Hay, Granny Smith! I need you to do me a favor!"

(OOC: Finishing up my spectator posts since I'm pretty much done with Lyra's part)

gallery_299_36_40135.png

Diamond struggled as Granny Smith held her down. No pony that wrinkled and withered should be that strong! "Get offa me! I'm telling my Mom on you!"

"If'n yur parents ain't gonna give ya a good spankin', then I WILL! Time fer me to start yur lesson in behavin'!"

Diamond felt her rump being struck heavily and cried out in pain. "Ow! OW! Stop it! Stop you old hag! OW! You'll pay for this! OW! My parents will have you arrested!"

At the front of the chariot the driver heard Diamond's cries. His face contorted in anger. Deciding to take action, he broke sharply in mid-air, driving the chariot to a halt with a loud screech. The sudden stop threw Granny Smith's balance off just enough for Diamond Tiara to roll away from her, tears in her eyes and stinging red marks of her behind. The chauffeur turned around as best he could while still attached to the harness and he looked at Granny.

"Now that's enough, Madam! Children who act up should be punished, yes, but this isn't how it should be done! We no longer live in such a savage age. I won't allow such foal-abuse to continue." Before Granny could respond, he quickly made his way towards the finish line and touched down. "I'm going to have to ask you to get out, Madam." he said, his expression still hardened.

Mojo walked up to Shanna and flashed her his trademark smile.

"I'll do that, love, and thanks again for all your help, and your brother's too for that matter."

Then the Paint stallion spotted Applejack and soon trotted up to her.

"Sure am glad you're back to normal size, miss. Hope to visit Sweet Apple Acres sometime soon."

Mojo then turned back towards his friends who were gathered to cheer for him. None of them knew who had won the race. So far, none of the race officials had made the declaration.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starflower quickly assessed Hoss's situation.

"Your leg is warmer, signs of the start of an infection," she said as she brought items from her bag up to use. "I'll use this disinfectant, rewrap your leg and while we're at it, take two of these pills!"

The nurse unicorn worked quickly, spraying the wound, wrapping the leg and placing the two pills into the brown Pegasus' mouth. Using more of her unicorn powers, she levitated a cup of water to help Hoss swallow the pills.

"You may be walking with a limp for a while, Hoss. I can fashion you a crude walking splint, if you like."

Jubilee was about to leave, but then spotted Hoss with Starflower and flew over to him quickly.

"OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! Are you alright, Hoss?" the blonde Pegasus mare asked frantically.

"He'll be fine, Jubilee. Just a slight infection, that's all."

"But he's my date for the dance! He can't be hurt!" she neighed, hugging the brown stallion tightly as tears ran down her cheeks.

"Hay, Madam Bistro," Professor Krashkop said. "I vould like some hot chocolate please! Dat vould be wonderba!"

Louise galloped over to Sheriff Silverstar and hugged him.

"So glad to see you again, sweetie! They're havin' a dance tonight and you're takin' me to it!"

"But... I.... this here's all kinda sudden like..."

"No buts! I'm going to put on a pretty dress and YOU better have your finest duds on too!"

"Alright alright, Miss LaMare! Reckon ua talked me into it."

Meanwhile, Diamond Tiara's chariot landed as the young filly and it's driver demanded that Granny Smith leave.

"Glad to go, Sonny, and thanks fer the ride all the same!" the elderly mare neighed as she closely climbed down before looking over at Diamond Tiara. "I'm jist a crazy old lady, kinda doubt anyone would wanna arrest me and besides, if'n y'all bring the law into this, I can tell'm all about yur reckless flyin' and how YUR chariot nearly ran me over! Think about that while yur flanks are still stingin'!"

With a look of satisfaction, Granny Smith walked away and soon heard Applejack calling her name.

"Applejack!" Granny shouted as she slowly moved towards her granddaughter. "I am so proud of you! What can I do ya fer?"

As she awaited a response from the Diamond Dog before her, Shanna smiled to Mojo "You are welcome, Mojo." and resumed gently shaking the dog.

She spared a glance around, seeing him walk over to Applejack. She was still amazed she had been restored to normal so quickly and wonderd how that was done. She called out "Hay Applejack! How did you get big again?"

------------------------

Hoss grunted as the unicorn worked on his hoof, the spray feeling refreshingly cold through his hoof somehow. he gratefully accepted the water to wash the large pills down.

As he nickered "Yes please, splints will be fine.", the lovely filly who admitted her feelings for him just a short while ago flew up and was near panic over his condition. "I'm mostly ok, Jubilee..." Suddenly he was hugged tight, making him smile and blush happily.

Hoss wrapped his wngs around her and nuzzled one of her tears, then gave her a kiss while their faces were screened by his wings. "I'll be fine for the dance, we'll just have to show the earth ponies how we dance in air, is all." He paused a moment, blushing as he whispered "May...may I call you 'Wings' too?"

Meanwhie, Madam Bistro was waiting for Swift Breeze to reply. When the Professor got her attention, she nodded and got a foam cup of Hot Chocolate for the elderly pegasus. "Here you go sir, would you like a straw?"

ajbanner.png

Applejack had realized that Big Macintosh was racing, so there was no way he was going to be able to set it up an apple cart. "I need ya te go back to the farm and grab a cart full of apple juice and bring it back to the finish line. There's gonna be all kinds of creatures and ponies that are gonna be hunkerin' for a refreshing drink." Applejack was hoping that Granny could do it by herself. "And if ya see that Apple Bloom cuttin' up in and around the farm, ask her for help. You could tell her it might earn her a cutie mark, er, something." Applejack was still unaware that Apple Bloom was in the race herself. Fortunately for her, she was also unaware that both of her siblings were struggling in the race, a few hundred paces from her trail's end.

Applejack noticed Shanna asking her how she regained her normal size. She smiled with gratitude. "A friendly pony named Carrot saved me from getting trampled on, while another pony provided me with the antidote to make me all regular'd." As Applejack spoke her testimony, she realize how generous those ponies were to her. And she began thinking about ways that she could reward both of them.

maddenbanner.png

"...And they're coming 'round the bend." Madden was still on his little cloud reviewing the racing action as they ran towards the finish line.

"Looks like we have quite a race here, folks! As we seem to have a neck-and-neck race for first place between the number 12 of Carrot Fields, number 34 of Klondike and our leading pegasus, number 108, Swift Breeze! And right behind them with still a chance to win, is Beakbreak's Holly Dash and Cloudsdale's own Zephyr Burst, sporting the number 28! And what's this? The race's only griffon has managed to stay within reach of the lead pack. And she has her hooves on the ground! Er, I mean feet, or claws, paws... Whatever. And right next to her is Ponyville's Lyra and Flicker!" It looks like it's still anypony's race and there's only a few hundred strides to go!"

It was looking like it was going to come down to the last few strides of the race. What would they do to try to win?

iqbipl.png

Worn through as he was, Breaker kept going. His nostrils flared with the effort, pushing toward the finish, he was hardly close to winning, but maybe he could beat his sister's placement in her own running of the race. What was it again? Fifth? Eleventh? Or maybe ninteenth? Whatever it was, he wanted to beat it, and give her a solid good natured ribbing about it the next time she graced their island with her presence.

"We got dis, Shanna! We'm in de end o't now!" Breaker called back over his shoulder before tossing his mane and lowering his head, breaking out into full gallop for the first time in the race and charging ahead, whipping past a few ponies in the process. As he tried (vainly) to remember just where his sister had placed, and tried (even more vainly) to figure out his own placement in this race, a memory floated to the surface.

He could smell the smoke from the woodfire he and his sister had built on the beach, hear the gentle crashing of the nighttime waves just over the dunes. She was lounging on her own bulky, beatup saddlebag, sharing stories from her most recent trek across Equestria.

"Dat race, Beaches," his sister, Hibiscus, sighed, shaking her head. "You ain't nevah seen such pretty colors, such a kind group o' ponies. But it's a long one, brothah. That trail be twice around dis island at de least, or I'm a griffin's hindquahtahs. Long, grueling run like dat, it teach you someting about youself. You learn tings you ain't nevah known."

And it was true. Breaker had realized his own actions, though with the best intentions, could be rash and misguided. He grimaced a bit as he recalled leading several ponies off in the wrong direction, bringing them face to face with a cheating griffin. And finding out just how much he wanted, maybe even needed, to help others. The complete inability to sent him into the first fit of anger he could ever recall having. He was more than a little ashamed of the temper tantrum that had sent him off and running away from the new friends he was making. Certainly things he'd never faced before.

So lost in his own deep thought, Breaker didn't even realize he'd crossed the finish line until he noticed the ponies stopped around him. He slowed to a trot, and heard Shanna's voice again, urging the other ponies, himself included, to keep moving. Still too out of breath to speak much, Breaker nodded, stretching his legs as he walked, and nudging a few ponies he'd noticed coming to a dead stop after the finish line.

As he raced down the final stretch with everypony else, he noticed two things. First and foremost, this stretch was a lot longer than he had anticipated, and his legs were already beginning to burn from pushing himself as hard as he could. Second, it seemed everypony was rapidly closing in and grouping together into one mass, a brief glance backwards being met with an enormous cloud of dust kicked up by the dozens of hooves that now thundered towards the finish. As he started to get packed into the forming herd, he couldn't help but snicker a little. "Well, this'll make it a lil more difficult t' push ahead," he playfully remarked before looking to Miss Applejack as she spoke to him, noticing that she had come up to alongside of him - albeit a few ponies away - and that they were now competing for a spot. "Yer a good pony, Miss Applejack!" he called back to her, his ears perking up as he listened to her call for somepony named Granny Smith.

His attention turned forward once more, his ears perked up as he heard an approaching voice chanting "Gonna make it, gonna make it!" somewhere nearby, the pale gold Pegasus looking around before noticing the unicorn mare he'd trotted with earlier on in the race, deliberately slowing his pace as she caught up. "Heya, Willow! Ya alright?" he grinned, quirking a brow as he gave the messy looking filly a once-over. Sure, his front hooves were caked with that sticky sap from the last stretch and had dirt, twigs, and leaves stuck to them, but she looked as though she'd had more trouble with the stuff than he had. When he waited for a response, though, he noticed she continued moving forward in a rush towards the finish line, prompting a chuckle and a smirk from the Pegasus. "Guess that's a yes - that's the spirit!" Once again, he began pushing his legs as hard as he could, bringing himself back up to his fastest speed... at least, fastest on the ground.

As the finish line drew closer and closer, his ears perked up, overhearing Miss Applejack talking about preparing fresh applejuice for the racers. He couldn't help but lick his lips at the thought, his throat burning and his mouth slowly going dry from the exertion - some of that juice sounded more divine than the Princesses themselves at the moment, at least to him. The thought actually drove him to push a little faster, panting as he raced towards the finish. "Must... get... more... apple... juice," he managed between each breathe as he began obliviously passing a few of the other ponies, his eyes locked on the line up ahead.

Blacky was not happy at all. He had lost his master. The dog sniffed around, but the smell of tree sap numbed his sense of smell significantly. Stalking around in the brushwood, he looked for a way out of the woods.

Seeker pushed himself further down the track. This was getting harder by the second, but he got too far to just give up. Even here, there were still leaves whirling from the trees around. He could see the end now.

(ooc): Mojo went to get cleaned up, Still some things going on 'in the bleachers'

Professor Krashkop thanked Madam Bistro for the beverage.

"Ja! A straw vould be wonderba! Danka! Und dis is for you!" the gray maned Pegasus neighed as he tossed several coins into her apron. "Keep dee change, beautiful fraulein!"

Jubilee smiled widely as she released her hug of Hoss.

"Only Mojo calls me that, but YOU can call me Wings ANYTIME, loverboy!" the excited blonde Pegasus said softly before kissing him on the cheek. "Can't WAIT for the dance to start! I even brought a nice dress to wear for the occassion!"

"All done!" Starflower said to Hoss. "Walking splint is on, you're good to go!"

As the Sheriff is led away by Louise LaMare, Granny Smith nods as she listens to Applejack's instructions.

"By thunder, I'll git it done fer ya, Applejack!" the elderly lime green mare neighed. "And I know jist how to do it, too! Pardon me."

As Granny Smith slowly walked away, Misty Magic sat with Snails.

"it's been quite a day, hasn't it. Well, I won't be using my magic anymore today. I wonder when our wings will...."

As she spoke, both her wings and Snail's wings vanished.

"disappear.... that answers THAT question. Now we won't be seeing anymore wingless ponies flying!"

Before she finished her sentence, a light green object streaked across the sky. When it swung back towards the group, everyone could clearly see that Granny Smith, wearing goggles and a helmet with her cutie mark on it, was flying around with a familiar looking jet pack on her back. Granny used a new set of hoof controls to hover in place and look down at Applejack and the others.

"Lookie what that thar PUR-FESSER guy gived me! Said he fixed it all up with these here dandy new hoof controls! Don't ya worry none, Applejack, I'll git back here lickid-ee split with all the fresh apple juice y'all can drink! Bye now!"

When the lime green mare flew off, all eyes were now on Professor Krashkop.

"Vhat?"

It was going to be close. Ashton could tell that much. That grey pony with the weird accent seemed to have a bit of an lead but the others were closing the gap. Himself included. He wanted to win more than anything, but, he wasn't a competitor. He skidded to a stop as the pack reached the crowd with less than 200m to go. He moved off the track to the side and tried to catch his breath as he squinted to see who was going to win.

'Next year will be different. Maybe I should do some training.' he thought to himself as the racers got nearer and nearer to the line. He held his hoof up to shield his eyes from the lowering sun when a red blur with a beige blur riding it barreled past him causing him to miss the final seconds. "Tailfeathers." he muttered.

It was finally the end line, end of race. Harmony lookd at it and at her Bird while she was smiling.

We done it, now it is time for final showdown then we are finally free to rest. Isn't this is amazing Flightly? Harmony said to her bird and smiled to him again. She started to run on her maximum speed, she wasn't using it till the last straight lane so she could use her all stamina on the final lane and made it better than before. She could even get the chance to be in top 10, she don't wanted to be first, second or third. The all she wanted is not to be last, for Harmony it was kinda shame to be last one when she don't had any disease and she was healthy, strong pony. She looked again at her bird and just runned as fast as she can to the final line with smile on her face.

Give me a bit strength here, Fligthly... I know You can't, but have faith in me She laughed as she was running.

Shanna nosed Beach Breaker in thanks for helping. Already regaining her strength as she walks out the sore muscles. "Thanks for the help, and the fun race between us. I want to hear about where you are from later when we arent run ragged."

She then drags the Diamond Dog safely out of the way until he wakes up.

Shanna nods at Applejack, hearing how she had been restored. She wondered if that was the pony with the carrot cutie mark made of stars. She made a mental note to ask him at the party later...

She stopped suddenly, her eyes wide as she realizes how messy she is "Oh dear! Is there any place to wash up after the race?

-------------------------------------

Hoss smiled and nuzzles Jubilee after a few test hobbles on his splinted leg. "Thanks Starflower. I cant wait to see you in that dress, Wings" and wing-hugs her again, then smells himself "Ummm is there a place to clean off? I got as messy as a racer it seems..."

Snails nodded "Ayup! One biiig day, an' more excitin' than last year's race." He yawned a bit as he sat with Misty Magic. "No more magic today..."

He blinked and looked back as the wings vanished "Awww, an' before Snips could see them..."

As Misty spoke to him about no more winglss pponies flying, he looked up wide eyed at Granny Smith flying like that grumpy blue stallion ealier...welll better actually.

Snails stood up and shook his head with a silly grin. "Y'know whut Miz Misty? I think it's time fer my nap before anything else happens... Seeya!"

With that, he gave her a hug and trotted off to home.

(Snails is GONE from the thread ;)

Madam Bistro sighed and shook her head "I wonder how they are going to top this NEXT year..."

As the finish line came into clear view before him, Carrot Fields briefly closed his eyes, the events of the last several hours flashing through his mind; it certainly had been far more eventful than he had ever imagined it to be. What a tale he'd have to tell his sister, Purple Haze, at the finish line! He rolled his eyes just at the thought of the inevitable questions he knew she would ask, "Aye, big brae, did ye meet any fillies? Huh? did ye?!" He wasn't looking forward to answering that one - especially since he had never found out the beautiful neighbor filly's name, and how many chances did he have to ask her? Nuts and shoes! Why am Oi so shy around th' fillies?!

Focusing forward once again, Carrot finally crossed the finish line, galloping for several more yards before turning and loping back, trotting ever more slowly in circles until he finally came to a walk. With the adrenaline wearing off, the pain from running such a long race was finally catching up to the stallion, a dull pain moving through each one of his legs as he slowly walked back towards where most of the rest of the participants of the race were gathering. Among them was the griffin, standing off and away from the others, no doubt eagerly waiting to find out how she placed.

Carrot was curious about his placement too, although his thoughts inevitably wandered back to the two filly racers he helped, and the other filly that he'd followed back to the Whitetail Woods. What did they think of him now? He'd know soon enough.

As the road widened from the mere two-way cartpath through the woods to the wide thoroughfare that led back to Sweet Apple Acres, the siblings could get a better assessment of where they stood in the race. To her dismay, she saw that they were right behind the main pack, and only with the greatest of luck could be considered a leader. It was time to resort to less than savory practices. "Get outta our way, you, you... number 57 YOU! Our family honor is at stake here!" she rather rudely shouted at a thin sky-blue unicorn mare who was galloping just to the right of them, waving her hooves in at attempt to distract her.

Big Mac's reaction to the sudden widening of the course was simply to run faster, shouting "Come on, Let's go Everypony - YEEEEEEEHAAAAAW!", as he picked up speed. Ordinarily his temperament fell more into the "Slow and Steady wins the race" category, so Apple Bloom was caught off guard with Big MacIntosh's sudden bust of speed. She held on as tight as she could, plastered against his crimson neck and withers. They rejoined the main pack, a group of ponies so dense that if she wanted to, Apple Bloom could simply hop from back to back of the ponies in the race to get to that grey pony who farmed carrots not too far away from her family's own farm; the one in the lead.

"Ah still see Applejack on up ahead, Mac. We're gainin' on her. If we're lucky, we kin still beat her!" The tiny filly shouted in her brother's ear. He paid her no mind. "FA-A-A-ASSTERRRRR!"

"Hey, Applebloom! You know you can't get a cutie mark for cheating, right? Let's see you run! If you can!" , a familiar, very much disliked, voice called from somewhere above her. Apple Bloom looked up. "Oh no, what is SHE doin' here. Of all m' classmates to see me runnin' this race?", she lamented, in bit of a panic.

"Look who's a-talkin'! O' course a prissy-pants like you'd haveta use a chariot. Ah'll show you, you big ol' snob!"Apple Bloom cried, trying to wiggle off of her brother's back to get on all four hooves (and not get trampled). But wiggle and pull all she might, she remained glued to her brother's hide. "AAAHHHHMMMM STUCK, MAC! Musta been that durn sap! Ah Ain't budgin!' she squealed in a high-pitched whisper to her brother. If Big MacIntosh felt her struggle or heard her rather shrill complaints, he gave no indication. All she could do at this point was will her extremely focused brother onward. looking back up at Diamond Tiara. "Well, ah would, but ah ain't gonna let you get the upper hand with your fancy chariot there, you spoiled...." Apple Bloom's retort trailed off. In the chariot with the bratty pink pony was none other than Granny Smith herself, reaching out to grab a branch.

"Granny, what're you..." the yellow filly started to say in surprise

"Time fer me to start yur lesson in behavin'!", the elderly pony said to Diamond Tiara in a tone Apple Bloom was only too familiar with. It sounded like that bully was going to get her comeuppance, even if it wasn't Granny's place to do so. There was quite a commotion coming from the cab when the chariot halted mid-air, the apple siblings leaving it in the dust.

Finally, there, less than the length of the main street in Ponyville away was the finish line, a checkered banner hung at chest height (to a full grown mare). it looked like the "weird-talkin' Carroty fella" ( as she called him in her head), and a celadon pegasus (she knew the color celadon, because her Granny had told her that was the color their cider crocks were glazed) she had never seen before burst through, sending the ends of the banner rippling in their wake, but from this angle it could have been ANY of the large pack of ponies that were galloping 12 abreast to the finish line that had broken through. Cameras flashed wildly, some from spectators, some from the official race judges, and some from the local press.

20 paces now, and Apple Bloom could make out the grimly determined expression on her sister's face. In her excitement and anticipation, time seemed to slow for the filly. No detail escaped her notice for the next two minutes. Every dirt clod kicked up by a passing pegasus. Every bent blade of grass

She briefly saw the pegasus who had kindly helped her train for the Running of the Leaves, Harmony Everskies, in the pack, but lost her again as more and more ponies crowded towards the finish line. She waved, but was a little ashamed to be riding on her brothers' back instead of her own hooves. "Well, hopefully she didn't see me makin' a foal outta myself, after all the help she gave me tryin' to help me get ready to do this thing on my own four hooves" Apple Bloom thought to herself. She was starting to feel uncomfortable about her behavior all throughout this race.

They crossed the finish line in a massive conglomeration of pony, all hooves marching in time. Immediately before even seeking out her big sister to see how she had fared against her, Apple Bloom's eyes fell guiltily on the empty apple cart. With all the Apple family running the race nopony had thought to serving up refreshments to the tired racers (and making a bit here or there). Apple Bloom suddenly remembered that the real reason Applejack had asked her to not run the race wasn't because she wasn't big enough, it was because she was depending on her to help out Granny Smith with the cart after the race. Now, even if she HAD beaten her big sister, it wouldn't matter. She had shirked her responsibilities, and that was one thing that big ponies did NOT do.

The sheepish filly pulled herself from her brother's back with a mighty rip of hair. Bits of red fur stuck to her chest and face, making her look like the stongpony in the circus. She giggled a little despite herself. "Er, Mac... I think y' might need some hair tonic there. You're missin' a bit o' coat there." And then more quietly she added "Ah think we'd better get to helpin' with the apple cart".

She didn't even bother looking at her flank to see if she got her cutie mark, partially out of shame for how she behaved and knowing she didn't deserve one for anything she'd done today, partially out of fear that maybe she could have gotten a cutie mark for cheating and being dishonest. "A cutie mark for dishonesty would be even MORE humiliatin' than still bein' a blank flank", she said firmly within earshot of several other ponies, but for her own benefit, "After all, what would it say that the little sister o' the keeper of the element of honesty got a cutie mark for CHEATIN'! It'd be there forever!"

Apple Bloom looked around for Applejack, head hung low, as the last of the leaves drifted from the trees. She knew she was in for it when her big sister caught up with her.