Ponyville Downpour!

Kite

CRASH! KABOOM!

The weather team had really outdone themselves this time; it was still early evening, but the sky was already darker than Nightmare Moon's dreams, save for the ocassional flash of lightning ripping across the skies, illuminating the billowy black clouds and silhouetting everything on the ground. The rain poured down in buckets, creating small streams in the dirt, smacking the leaves in the trees and creating an awful racket. Tatatatatatatatatatata... Most of the inhabitants of the peaceful Ponyville had long since made their way indoors to avoid the torrential downpour; after all, a storm of this magnitude could hardly be stopped at this point, it would be much too dangerous to fly into a lightning storm! Still, a lone carriage made it's way into the storm-besieged town, drawn by one pony, and strangely enough being pushed by a second pony.

The pony at the back was a strange sight in the peaceful town; a pegasus fillie garbed in a set of bulky, clunky iron armor, chipped and dinged, rusted in places (certainly the rainstorm did little to help this) and now caked in mud. The wheel of the carriage appeared to be cracked, and so the fillie had taken it upon herself to help the travellers safely reach the town.

"We can take it from here, ma'am!" The pony drawing the carriage shouted over the downpour. "Thank you so much for your help! If there's something we can do to repay you..."

"It's no problem at all, just doing my duty!" The fillie replied. "Safe travels!"

With a nod, the driver took the carriage on down the road, leaving the armored stranger standing in the rain. Her name was Kite, and as she watched the carriage proceed down the road and get lost in the haze of the downpour, she wondered nervously if she'd done well; after all, it was the duty of a knight to help others, and her dream to be a knight! Standing in the rain, she certainly felt good for helping, but she didn't feel anymore knightly than before; if anything, she was just soaked. A REAL knight would have gotten them to town before the brunt of the storm had hit, after all.

Looking around, the wannabe knight sought someone else to help out, though it seemed that the storm had scared the population indoors. "I wonder if maybe I could stop the storm... certainly the townsfolk would appreciate that..." She looked up at the sky, which seemed to grumble ominously in response. "Eh... maybe not..." Kite shook the idea from her mind; what she had in desire to become a knight, she certainly lacked in confidence and self esteem. The pegasus instead averted her eyes from the sky, looking for shelter; standing in the rain was helping nobody, and she was tired and sore from her journey from Canterlot. The fillie could barely see her own hoofs in the downpour though, and instead opted to grab shelter under a nearby tree, hoping to wait out the storm. From the looks of things though, it was going to be a long, stormy night!

neonpheadcopy.png

·.·• Neon Pop •·.·

Rain. It never bothered on particular pony much, and in fact her and her companion welcomed it with open arms. One thing about the Pop Queen was that dark and dreary weather helped that creativity flow like the neon lights on her cutie mark and legs! When the thunder hit, sure she whimpered, jumped a little, but sure enough she hopped off her couch and trotted right over to the wall. "Alejandro~ Lets go for a walk! The weather is perfect for flashin'!" Neon Pop said as her horn sparked and shimmered with a neon pink glow, letting a rather large and fashionable hat float over to the top of her head and rest itself. At the same time, what looked to be a collar for her massive pet found its way over to the alligator and nestled itself right around his thick scaled neck. Neon smiled at her lazy friend as he opened his wide maw and yawned. "Don't be that way. You know a nice brisk walk will be just what you need!"

Neon took hold of the leash in her mouth and soon, with her usual large sunglasses made her way to the front door of her house with Alejandro in tow. Outside, the rain tickled her plum pelt and soaked her main and tail. She didn't mind, and her friend, or pet.... seemed to wake up enough that he lashed his tail and kept up a good pace along side Neon. Her glow lit up any area around her, and in the grey weather, she certainly popped with color. Her orange eyes watched the water covered roads and then the reflection of her, and whatever lights still worked in Ponyville. It was always fun, cause instantly, lyrics flowed from her lips as the leash glowed with her magic and out of her mouth. "If its love~ is electric, it'd be flowin' in the streets!"

Neon continued singing a new song, stopping only to think for certain lyrics, and soon, Alejandro stopped, looking to the Knight that sat under the tree. His dark eyes fixed on her as Neon, so wrapped up in what she was signing, didn't really notice, till the pull of her magic gave hint that he stopped. She fell quiet and looked to her pet, then to the pony under the tree. Odd... was she like Neon and LIKED being in the rain, or was she in need of a place to rest? Either way, Neon Pop's glow flickered and she started to make her way to the Knightly pony!

Kite certainly wasn't expecting anypony to be walking down the roads in this weather; hoping, but not expecting. It was very much to her surprise when she caught a glimpse of bright, neon lights in the distance, growing closer and closer. It was even more of a shock when the lights came so close that the wannabe knight was able to recognize them as being on a pony; that is, a unicorn to be exact. Perhaps the unicorn was in trouble?

"This could be my big chance!" She thought excitedly. Straightening up, the fillie's armor clinked slightly. She looked over to the glowing pony, ready to offer a friendly greeting.

Then she spotted the alligator behind her!

A fiend! A predator! Ponyville was reputed as a safe haven for all! How was it then, that a dangerous alligator was here, about to gobble up this glowing neon unicorn!?

Springing to action, Kite jumped into the air, flapping with her wings; despite wearing such heavy armor, she could still maintain limited flight, and she planned to use her patented "Kite Cannonball" technique to defeat the dreaded alligator! Trying to hide her nervousness and self doubt (something ALWAYS went wrong when she tried to be a heroic knight!), the flying fillie shouted in her knightliest possible voice "Do not be alarmed citizen! I will sa-"

As it turns out, wearing a full suit of metal under a tall tree in a thunderstorm is a rotten idea. At that moment, a bolt of lightning fell from the sky with a mighty KRAKABOOOOOOM, narrowly missing the armored Kite, but instead ripping into the tree branch just above her. The charred branch instead fell from the tree, knocking the poor fillie out of the sky and back into the mud in the process.

neonpheadcopy.png

·.·• Neon Pop •·.·

In moments, Neon went from happy, to shocked to worried! The sight of the Knight was something she was happy about, another pony, someone to talk to and someone to meet. Though with her sudden leap and attempted shout, Neon came to a skidding halt in the mud, looking to the Pegasus with wide eyes. What was she going on about? Was she saying she was going to save her? Fear not? What? Though quicker then Neon could grasp the words which was shouted towards her, that lightening hit and Neon's jaw dropped!

"Oh my Celestia! Hold on!"Neon said as she let the magic go from Alejandro's leash and ran over to the pony under the branch. She looked to the Knight from behind her shades and frowned, though from under the large hat, the horn glowed and the branch was lifted from her new acquaintance. Alejandro at that point let out a low rumble of a growl and soon crawled over to the nearest puddle of mud and flopped right down with a comfortable moan. Neon looked to him and huffed. "Nooo, Alejandro! Now I have to bathe you! Ugh..."

Her eyes looked back to the Pegasus and a smile came on her lips as she pressed a gentle hoof, in an attempt to help her up to her own hooves. "That was quite a fall, are you ok? Anything broken?"

Tatatatatinktatatatatinktinktinktatatatatatatataplinktataplinktink.... The constant rainfall bouncing off of Kite's armor was quite a disorienting sound indeed! She felt herself being brought up to her hooves... what had just happened?

"That was quite a fall, are you ok? Anything broken?" The wannabe knight looked up to see the unicorn offering a friendly smile; the rumours of the kindness of the Ponyville ponies were clearly not exaggerated.

"I... I'm fine! Thank you!" The armored pegasus bowed on one knee respectfully. The truth was, the branch had unfortunately landed on her exposed wing, which now throbbed painfully. Kite was made of tough stuff, however, and wouldn't admit this; it was the priority of a knight to ensure the safety of a citizen first and foremost! Making them worry simply wouldn't do, especially when there was an alligator on the loose.

"The alligator!" Kite suddenly remembered, shooting up from her bow and looking around frantically for the monster. Out of reflex, she spread her wings once more, wincing at the painful result. Still, with her helmet visor obscuring her vision, and the rain pouring in buckets, she could not see the creature. "I'm sorry citizen, but uh..." She really wasn't good at the whole Knight-speak thing. "...we have to vacate the premises! There's a dangerous creature around here...!"

neonpheadcopy.png

·.·• Neon Pop •·.·

Neon blinked, raising a brow and letting her eyes travel to her beast of a pet. "Alligator? Oh! You mean Alejandro! Oh don't worry! He's my pet!" And she says this now... Well, at least she said it, and now the pony could try to relax. Neon pressed on. "He's moody some times, but really nothing you should worry about. Just don't step on his tail... I nearly lost my own when I did one day!" She giggled and pressed a hoof to her shades, lifting them up and revealing her orange eyes framed by neon pink lashes.

"Neon Pop is my name~" She said sweetly as she trotted a bit to stand in front of the Knight, blocking her view from her alligator. She swayed her soaking tail slightly as Neon stood proudly, much like she always did. "You have a place to stay? Or are you just enjoying the rain? Cause you're more then welcome to come to my place and get out of the rain. Even though I'm loving the sound that its makin' on your armor! Listen! No, no, really listen!" Neon stepped over to the Pegasus and leaned into her shoulder, lifting an ear under the hat. She closed her eyes and started to nod her head rhythmically.

"The music that the world makes! Perfect for the song I was just thinking of! That settles it! We're going to have lunch, my treat!"

"Lunch? Oh, but I couldn't impo-" Kite's protests were cut off by another loud grumbling sound; not the sky this time, but her stomach. It had been a long journey, after all, not to mention the wind picking up meant the storm would only be getting worse. "...I'm sorry. Thank you for the generous offer." The pegasus bowed again, though she couldn't help casting a wary glance at Alejandro. He reminded her of a dragon, and as a prospecting knight, she was a little worried about dragons in general. Still, if Neon Pop was okay with him...

"Oh! Of course!" Realizing the blunder in her manners, the fillie bowed even lower, the nose of her helmet touching the mud. "My name is Kite, at your service!" The sky growled threateningly at these words; Kite really didn't want to chance an encounter with another lightning bolt just yet. She straightened up, the rain still rhythmically plinking off her armor. "Please, lead the way."

neonpheadcopy.png

·.·• Neon Pop •·.·

Neon beamed as Kite introduced herself, it was always nice to meet a face that didn't recognize her's every once and a while. A welcoming change to the heard of ponies that did know the Pop Queen. Either way, Neon's face fell for just a moment as her orange eyes looked about curiously, looking for a place to eat. No where too pricey, she didn't want to make Kite uncomfortable, but nothing cheap and terrible either. It was a difficult decision, but one that Neon had to make. So, in the end, there was only one place Neon knew of that most ponies liked, Honey's Sweet Honey.

With that she looked to her pet and trotted over to his muddy side as he groaned, opening only one eye to lazily gaze up at her. "Yes you... Alejandro, I need to you go home, and behave yourself on the way there. No scaring any ponies! I know you like it, but please... Don't make me look bad?" There was a weary smile on her face as Alejandro sighed, slowly getting up, and turning away from her to make his way back home slowly. Guess that was his way of saying 'Ok'. With him making his way back, Neon Pop looked to Kite and that popular smile stretched over her face.

"Well, lets get going and get out of the rain, hm? Ya look like ya need to take a moment to rest. I know the perfect place to eat too." With that, Neon Pop turned and started to make her way through the streets, knowing Kite was going to follow. It was during the walk, that she was going to press questions and get to know the girl.

"So, are you new to Ponyville? I'm guessing, with the armor, you came from Canterlot, huh?"

The armored Pegasus followed alongside the Queen of Pop at a slow pace, despite the increasingly violent nature of the weather around them. "What an odd pony, she really doesnt seem to mind the weather at all." She thought, not bothering to rush in the storm though; she was already soaked, what were a few more minutes?

"So, are you new to Ponyville? I'm guessing, with the armor, you came from Canterlot, huh?"

"Ah, yes, actually." The fillie nodded, clinking and clanking as she trotted along. "My dad is a great knight of Princess Celestia's Royal Guard in Canterlot; it's always been my dream to be the same. But the opportunities to prove oneself worthy of knighthood in Canterlot are very slim, so I've decided to travel on a knight's pilgrimage!" She decided to leave out the bit about failing the knight entrance exam 3 times in a row; it was still a bit of a sore spot with her, and that blow to her self esteem was nowhere near healed just yet.

WSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~ The winds picked up even further, rocking trees back and forth, scattering stray leaves and bending branches mercilessly. The sky lit up with another brilliant flash and a mighty KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK, and the rain seemed to pour even harder than before. If it wasn't for Neon Pop's fluorescent glow, Kite would have quickly lost sight of her new acquaintance.

Luckily, it seemed as though the two had finally reached their destination. Neon Pop gestured towards the door of a building that the soaked Pegasus could not even make out through the downpour, and said something that she couldn't hear either over the TATATATATATATATINKTINKTATATINKTAPLINKTATATAPLINKTINKTINKTATATATATATATATATATATATA of the storm. Either way, the little knight had about all she could take of the rain at this point, and gratefully entered the building.

• Like 1

neonpheadcopy.png

·.·• Neon Pop •·.·

The entire time, Neon had a perfect grin on her face, she listened to Kites words, yes, thought with the loud snap of thunder, Neon didn't make much effort to speak. With the gust of wind, she gripped her hat to keep it on her head as best as she could and her mane and tail whipped about like mad! There was a second she stopped at the door and looked to Kite before pushing in the door and stepping inside.

They were greeted with warmth, a comfortable heat and a strong sweet smell. A few buzzing bee's started up and soon into the kitchen. There they were, dripping wet and getting water all over the perfectly polished wooden floors. Neon took this time to remove her hat, and place it on the convenient rack, and shook off a bit. "Well! What a storm! I think we'll be stuck here for a while." She giggled, orange eyes looking to the room lined with shelve upon shelves of jarred honey, display tables of more honey, honey fruit baskets, pies, there was the cake case full of ready to eat glazed treats and pies, breads, even drinks.

"This is my favorite place, and the pony that works here sure can use the business. Helloooo~ Honeycomb~" It was a glimpse into what Neon did, as her sweet voice echoed through the room and it came natural. There was a clatter in the kitchen followed by a pony, yellow with frizzy black hair and blue eyes.

"Oh my Celestia! Neon Pop! Y-you're back! I--- I'm so... so honored!! Oh! You're both soaked! Let me get you some towels!" Honeycomb dashed away as Neon looked to Kite and smiled.

"Are you going to want to take the armor off?"

Jebediah Crockett looked outside of the window at the storm gloomily. He had big plans for selling his wares today, until the rains came at least. He watched half-heartedly as any pony caught out in the rain scrambled to seek shelter and hoped the skies would clear soon so he could go back to selling. Though, it wasn't like many ponies bought what he had to sell anyway. Jebediah was a traveling salespony who pushed and pulled his stand full of homemade fruitcakes across Equestria. He had just come into Ponyville today and frankly, hadn't had too much success yet. Still, he was hoping he could generate some word of mouth after more ponies bought his fruitcakes and told others how great they tasted.

A particularly large clap of thunder jolted him from his thoughts. Jebediah shook his head and positioned himself more comfortably at the table. The place, Honey's Sweet Honey, seemed fairly quiet. Probably because there wasn't many customers at the moment. It was warm and dry however, which Jebediah appreciated. Though he wasn't sure what to think of the bees that flew wherever they pleased. Thankfully there weren't too many and they didn't really seem to bother anypony. Jebediah waved one away and picked up a menu laying in front if him. "I really like the honey theme they have going on here," he thought to himself as he looked over the menu, "and the prices seem pretty reasonable too!" He licked his lips hungrily as he eyed everything they had for sale.

The door suddenly opened, letting in a gust of wind as two ponies stepped inside and quickly shut it behind them. Jebediah glanced at them from his menu and watched as one called out to the owner of the establishment. She seemed to be quite friendly and... sing-songy. The other one... was a knight? Jebediah blinked slowly at the surprising sight. He had never seen one of the Canterlot knights before. Though, she did seem a bit young to be a knight. He quickly went back to his menu as the owner came out of the kitchen.

"Oh my Celestia! Neon Pop! Y-you're back! I--- I'm so... so honored!! Oh! You're both soaked! Let me get you some towels!"

Jebediah scrunched an eyebrow in thought. "Neon Pop? Huh... must be a regular customer here." He shrugged before focusing on his menu. "So many good choices..."

"Ah, yes, well..." Kite faltered at the question; truth be told, ever since she'd gotten her armor, she'd found the thought of being out of it rather odd; how were people supposed to know she was a knight? What if she had to dash out and help someone in a hurry? Either way, it didn't matter; Kite wouldn't really be able to fit in a chair with such bulky armor. "...of course, one moment."

CLANG! KLINK! CLANG! Heads turned in the establishment as each piece of armor hit the ground with a loud noise. Kite did her best to pile the suit up neatly and inconspicuously in the corner, leaving the helmet dangling in the rack (which sagged slightly under the weight now) next to Neon Pop's hat. Without her bulky armor, the pegasus fillie seemed quite a bit... smaller. Her pelt was a light cream color, eyes green (and looking around nervously). She was without any particular markings, though she sported as many scuffs, bruises and bandages as her armor had dings, dents and scratches. There was even a solitary bandage across the bridge of her nose, and a pair of crossed bandages over her cutie mark.

"Eheheh..." She poked at the ground nervously with a hoof; it felt like everyone was staring at her now. "Well, we should... find a seat then?" She asked, as a bee whizzed past her nose.

neonpheadcopy.png

·.·• Neon Pop •·.·

Neon Pop watched as Kite dumped all her armor off to the side. Though she frowned as the now seemingly smaller Pegasus showing her obvious discomfort in showing her true self. It was a little disheartening but Neon was not one to start lecturing her on the merits of self-esteem, so with that thought passed, she turned to face Jebediah and pointed her hoof in his direction. "How about we sit over there, hm? Looks cozy!"

However, the moment she said that, Honeycomb came trotting out with towels and a few blankets, soon drapping them over the Pop Queen and the Knight. "There you go! Sorry it took me a little while, I seemed to have miss placed my towels, but! I found them, so no worries. I wouldn't worry about getting my floors wet or muddy either. Its bound to happen with this weather. Please, go take your seats!" She smiled up at her idol and looked like a filly in a candy store, though Neon nodded and used her majic to wrapped the blankets around her.

"Thank you Honey! I think I'll be ordering something different today also, so I'm just gonna check out the menu with my new friend, Kite here! Hope you don't mind~?" With that, Neon's horn glowed once more as two menus floated over to Kite and her and before Honey could reply, the unicorn trotted off to the table she had earlier indicated, plopping her rear right down and opening up her menu. "So many good things! Honeycomb is the best for sweet comfort and rainy day foods. I would recomend trying everything, BUT start off with the Peaches 'N Cream." She smiled at Kite as she watched her new found friend take a seat, and soon glanced over to Jebadiah, who was all by his lonesome... Surely she was not about to have that.

With in a few moments though, there would be a small clearing of a throat as Honeycomb looked to the stallion and spoke ever so sweetly. "Have you decided on anything to eat yet? If not, may I recomend the Black and Blue Honey Mix? Its one of my best sellers."

Jebediah sat at his table and watched the new ponies from the corner of his eye. He wondered if they lived in Ponyville or not... perhaps they would come over and talk to him. A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth as the pony called Neon Pop pointed in his direction. He went back to his menu as they took a table nearby. "Well this isn't so bad," Jebediah thought to himself, "so it's raining outside. It's warm in here and there's others I can talk to. Now to get some food..." He grimaced slightly as his stomach let out a loud rumble that he was sure everyone in the place could hear. Thankfully the other two seemed to be busy looking at their own menus.

He thought it was about time to order something when the proprietor of the establishment, Honeycomb, suddenly popped up next to him and asked, "Have you decided on anything to eat yet? If not, may I recomend the Black and Blue Honey Mix? Its one of my best sellers." Jebediah blinked and scrunched an eyebrow. Black and blue? That didn't sound very appealing. Or safe. Images of being stung by hordes of bees filled his head. It wasn't a pretty picture at all.

"Um..." Jebediah replied nervously, "I don't know... What exactly uh, is the Black and Blue Honey Mix?" Suddenly eating some leftover fruitcake didn't sound like such a bad idea.

Kite browsed through the menu idly, her eyes scanning the many different dishes available; there was certainly an impressive selection. "I dunno if I'd have left Canterlot if it had a restaurant like this." She mused, her thoughts jumping back home for a moment. It was hard for her to believe she was really in Ponyville, all by herself... "I wonder what everypony back home is up to...?"

She quickly shook the wistful thoughts from her mind; she had already left, it was too late to go back now. There would be no returning to Canterlot until she was a proper knight. The soaking suit of armor resting by the door was not the only weight the little fillie carried out of Canterlot; alas, she wouldn't dwell on such thoughts.

"Hmmm... the Honey Glaze Orange sounds like a real treat." Kite frowned slightly; she always was so indecisive when it came to ordering food. "But so does the Peaches 'N Cream... Or maybe the Honey Chocolate Mother Load Cake...?"

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~ The wind outside gave a particularly loud howl, rattling the door and windows slightly. Kite's eyes shot up to the window; it looked to be nearly pitch black outside now, raindrops slapping against the windows like bullets. The prospective knight pegasus wondered if maybe she should be out there; what if there were ponies stranded in the storm?

"Maybe just the Peaches 'N Cream this time." She finally decided, tearing her gaze from the widow. Her stomach gave a bit of a grumble; she was eager for Jebediah to place his order so that she too could get her meal.

neonpheadcopy.png

·.·• Neon Pop •·.·

"I tell ya, its delicious!" Neon said with a smile as wide as possible. She herself decided on the matter of food and put her menu down, only to use her magic and move the towels on her to dry herself off. Course, in the process she was making her hair frizzy, but knowing Neon, she really didn't care. "So, your dad! He works for the Princess? That's awfully sweet! Has he met her or does he not work that close to her?" She asked, curious since she had yet had the Princess come to one of her concerts, and frankly would love it if she was able to perform for her. Though she glanced back over to Jebediah and Honeycomb to see if she was done taking his order, and when she realized she was going over the items with him, her attention was back on Kite, and before the pegasus knew it, her towels had begun to dry her off as well, with the help of Neon's bright pink magic.

Honeycomb however, fidgeted a bit on the spot, she could tell the stallion was a bit on edge about her food, and her ears lowered just a tiny bit. "W-well, um... the Black and Blue Honey Mix is actually a mixture of blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, nuts, oats and glazed in honey.... but if... um you want, you could... uhh... you know.... order... something else...?" It was quite obvious she was now rather shy. Though she loved her customers and loved her business, selling to ponies she knew were slightly hesitant on her food, only made her stumble and stutter over her words like a foal.

• 3 weeks later...

"Uh... I believe Dad did meet the Princess before, but..." The wannabe knight paused as the towel, floating via Neon Pop's magic, zoomed past her eyes. "...he's not specifically a Palace guard, so he doesn't know her very well."

The filly sat back in her seat for a moment, as the towel ruffled up her mane; the restaurant sleepily quiet, with only the occasional grumbles of thunder and rattling windows to interrupt the subdued chatter and droning Bzzzzzzz of the fat little bees that busily flew about. With such a nice, relaxing environment, Kite couldn't help but wonder how she'd find the motivation to go back outside into the cold wet storm after lunch.

"But see, even if he doesn't know the Princess really well, Dad's still the best knight ever! He always said that being a knight was about helping others and being strong, fighting for what's right!" The bandaged pony explained with enthusiasm. "Everypony back home really respects him, I hope to be a knight that's at least half as good as Dad!"

Giving her sore wing a slow stretch, Kite gave a small sigh. "It's gonna be a long time before I can go back to Canterlot and say that though." She wrinkled her nose slightly as the towel brushed past it. "But, I have no intention to quit! No storm, monster or rogue flying towel is gonna stop me from helping everypony that I can." She joked, giving a small silly grin.