Last post wins

I used to have a friend in high school that was a beyond-hoarding slob. He moved into this little apartment with hamsters and the hamsters got out and had babies, so there were like, feral hamsters running around amidst all the food wrappers, trash, and filth.

He was eventually evicted and now has a wife and kids in some other state. 

tenor.gif

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, DreamySunday said:

Sounds like the person i'm moving in with... Having no options sucks... >.>

Honestly the very best thing you can do with a roomie is have a pre-living meeting with them. Set all the boundaries and figure out who is doing what chore and when. I know it sounds redundant, but you really must lay out what the expectations are and communicate, or it'll be just awful. You don't have to spend a lot of time having this meeting, just take 10 mins, write it all down, and post it on the fridge or something.

Have a monthly meetup where you can specifically talk about stuff so arrangements can be made, before they become bigger problems.

If they're not willing to do this, it will immediately tell you what you can expect, and I'd start looking for some other situation.

• Like 3

Ha! So I just watched Rock Dog. Zootopia, it is not, but I really, really enjoyed it! It had some interesting design choices, and realistic consequences for stuff instead of, like, typical animation slapstick. Sure, there was plenty of that, but it was nice to challenge expectations. Example, main character is getting chased by wolves, climbs a ladder, and tries to push it over to knock his chasers off. They simply push the ladder back and keep chasing him. Brilliant.

It's good, go watch it!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Rosewind said:

Honestly the very best thing you can do with a roomie is have a pre-living meeting with them. Set all the boundaries and figure out who is doing what chore and when. I know it sounds redundant, but you really must lay out what the expectations are and communicate, or it'll be just awful. You don't have to spend a lot of time having this meeting, just take 10 mins, write it all down, and post it on the fridge or something.

Have a monthly meetup where you can specifically talk about stuff so arrangements can be made, before they become bigger problems.

If they're not willing to do this, it will immediately tell you what you can expect, and I'd start looking for some other situation.

They were not.  But I was aware of this before I even tried. I like this guy but I've never wanted to entertain the thought of living with him. But! My dead line for moving was pushed from a  year to two months and the people who I was suppose to be moving in with couldn't make it that fast. So unfortunately he is my only option if I don't want the bridge.... Luckily! It's only for about a year! :D The hard part is going to be trying to keep my job while I live in a place that purpetually smells of and stains all things with cap pee/litter box smell....

Just look online. I've found great places on craigslist (again, make sure you meet everyone and see the place before anything) that I stayed at for a year. Trust me, as long as you don't mind moving a bit more, you can get some great places, for cheap too.

If you're worried about leaving the other guy with all the rent, see about putting out an ad yourself. As long as it's clean when people check it out, a few won't care enough that he's normally messy and just need a place.

Rock Dog? It's been out. Totally just DL'd it.

Dreamy: since the "Peacemaker" approach didn't work, there are a few more ideas on the table:

https://collegeinfogeek.com/6-simple-ways-to-deal-with-a-disgusting-roommate-once-and-for-all/

And a slightly more amicable guide:

http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Messy-Roommate

I do miss Catcakey and Cath; tell them I said hoooowdy!