Hippo

So, I finally decided to make a topic about Netflix. For those who don't have Netflix, I would recommend it if you enjoy movies, enjoy old cult TV shows, or really anything that pertains to cinema. Netflix has a way of bringing attention to lesser known titles to you that you may not have ever known about otherwise. I call these flicks 'gems'. Some of these gems are independent. Some of them are documentaries. Some of them are probably movies you'd never watch in a million years, but for some reason, you sat down and watched it in the perfect mood, and loved it.

Periodically, I am going to share some movie titles from Netflix that I call gems. I highly enjoyed watching these movies, and I must recommend them for someone else to watch too. If you have a gem that you would like to recommend, I encourage you to share them too. Just note that it's best to recommend titles that can be seen instantly, as they are much less hassle to get hold of and that movie titles like "Apollo 13" because they are clearly a good movie that most people have heard of. Try to share titles that no one has heard of.

I have do have one rule for this thread: Please place movie descriptions in spoiler tags, even if it's not a spoiler. The reason is this: I feel that it's usually best to watch a movie without knowing exactly what you're watching. It allows your focus to be entirely sucked into whatever the movie is about from the beginning to the end (assuming it is enjoable). And if you want to copy-paste movie summaries, that's fine. However, listing the genre and movie type is of course fine to place outside of the spoiler tags.

For an example, here is my first share. It is a documentary:

DearZachary.jpg

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (NR)

Independent Documentary

Emotional, Controversial, Heart-pounding

Filmmaker Kurt Kuenne's poignant tribute to his murdered childhood friend, Andrew Bagby, tells the story of a child custody battle between the baby's grieving grandparents and Shirley Turner, Bagby's pregnant ex-girlfriend and suspected killer. Initially, Kuenne made this documentary as a memorial for Andrew's loved ones, but it morphs into an emotional legal odyssey when Turner goes free on bail and is allowed to raise her son.

My thoughts:

This movie totally caught me off guard. Even in the beginning, the movie style had a way of grabbing my attention by contrasting audio and video shots with sudden silence and awkward feeds. But when the movie got to the heart of it, the juicy center, things got messed up in my brain, and my emotions were running rampant. This movie is not for the emotionally weak. It will probably make you cry. As a tough guy (I seem to think) few movies can move me like this one did. Bravo to the filmmaker, and kudos to the people that this movie is about. This movie reveals the power of the human element. Friendship and family is truly magic, yo.

Here are two more I love:

Who doesn't love Christopher Nolan?

When finding out Batman Begins and The Prestige were brilliant films and directed by the same guy, I decided to do a little following of Christopher Nolan, director of both, and other recent greats. This is what I found. This is a short film he did:

On Netflix, I found this wonderful movie by Christopher Nolan, and it is borderline my favorite movie of all time.

memento_poster.jpg

Memento [R]

Psychological Thriller

Suspense, Dark, Mind-bending

Suffering short-term memory loss after a head injury, Leonard Shelby (Guy Pearce) embarks on a grim quest to find the lowlife who murdered his wife in this gritty, complex thriller that packs more knots than a hangman's noose. To carry out his plan, Shelby snaps Polaroids of people and places, jotting down contextual notes on the backs of photos to aid in his search and jog his memory. He even tattoos his own body in a desperate bid to remember.

My thoughts:

It took me a few watches to get it fully. And still, every time I watch it, I see something else I didn't notice before. What I loved about this movie is the unique and creative way it was told, It starts with the end, and leads you to figure out how it began. At first, I thought it was a cheap shot at trying to mess with the audience. But it's more than that. It forces the audience to see the events unfold as if they are mentally connected with the main character, who has suffered short term memory loss. The twists and spins this movie creates are awesome, and I never get tired of watching it over and over.

And for a bonus, here is another early Christopher Nolan movie. However, this one is shorter and requires much concentration.

following_dvd.jpg

Following [R]

Independent Thriller, Indie

Suspense, Mind-bending

Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Dark Knight) writes and directs this odd, claustrophobic neo-noir film about a seedy young Brit (Jeremy Theobald) who's obsessed with following people -- albeit harmlessly at first. After meeting a like-minded bloke (Alex Haw), the twosome graduate to breaking and entering -- but meet their match in a tough blonde dame (Lucy Russell) who may have dubious plans of her own.

My thoughts:

Much harder to understand than most, this movie was confusing at best. You're attention is very hard to tame in this one. But I love the idea of the game being played from the beginning. It practically fools the audience and forces them to replay it. Unfortunately for the guy in the film, he can't redo it like we can.

My family has the Netflix streaming plan, which suits us just fine. They just added the MST3K Gamera series so I've been enjoying that lately. :D

I like MST3K, but i have to be honest. Some of the movies they do are so bad, that they're not even fun to make fun of. My favorite MST3K was Warewolf.

I have just two recommendations at the moment.

First one, I'm not sure whether or not it's popular. Regardless, it's called Being John Malkovich. This sent me on quite a mind-trip and gets a bit confusing if you don't pay attention, but if you're looking for a good movie that will mess with your head, give it a shot. It's rated R, so put the kiddies to bed, folks!

Secondly, here's for people who need a good laugh. One of my favorite movies of all time, Mystery Team. The boys behind DerrickComedy on YouTube put together a feature length film about a group of teenagers who have been solving neighborhood crimes since they were 11 years old. The dialogue is hilarious and the jokes are spot on (which is common-practice for DerrickComedy), and should be seen by anyone in need of some humor. Once again, rated R, so don't let the folks find out!

I have a couple of recommendations myself!  The first is Children of Men. [R] Sci-Fi Drama, Action, Emotional, Gritty.

Alfonso Cuaron directs this Oscar-nominated film version of P.D. James's classic dystopian novel, a futuristic drama set in a world in which humans have lost the ability to reproduce and subsequently face certain extinction. Things change when a single woman mysteriously becomes pregnant, prompting a conflicted government bureaucrat (Clive Owen) and his ex-wife (Julianne Moore) to join forces to protect her. Michael Caine co-stars.

My Opinion:

A very touching movie that will have you on the edge of your seat.  I admit I'm a marshmallow and it made me cry.

My second recommendation is Surrogates.  [PG-13] Sci-Fi Action, Dark, Suspenseful

Based on Robert Venditti's graphic novel of the same name, director Jonathan Mostow's sci-fi thriller is set in a futuristic world in which humans hibernate at home while living their lives vicariously through robot surrogates. When a series of mysterious surrogate murders occurs, FBI agent Greer (Bruce Willis) ventures out into the world for the first time in years to investigate. Radha Mitchell and Ving Rhames co-star

My Opinion:

A very in depth movie, with a compelling plot.  From the very beginning it had my attention, and it never once let go.