Arcana [Final]

RarityDash

Meh... I was going to continue holding off on this character, so as to minimize any spoilers with that fanfic I'm writing, where she is one of the key characters. Yet after thinking about it, I've decided it's more important I try and get her approved before the Halloween RP event gets under way, since I'm thinking she could be great in that. If you are by chance reading my Darkness and Dawn though, this probably does contain some spoilers for that. Just a heads up.

She's kind of a darker character... :blush:

Name: Arcana (called Arc for short, but pretty much only by Dazzle Dawn)

Sex: female

Species: unicorn

Pelt Color: very dark pink

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: dark gray in color. Mane is worn very long and straight, as is tail. She typically wears a pointy black hat (think witch's hat) on her head and a lot of dark eye makeup. A matching black scarf is worn around her neck.

Eye Color: blue

Cutie Mark: A circular swirl of black flames.

Physique: about average for her age.

RP Type: Mane

Origin: Solstice heights. Now goes wherever the rumors of magical secrets take her.

Motivation: Arcana wishes to amass power by any means, so as she can challenge the way things currently are.

Likes: Dazzle Dawn, rare creatures/beasts, disturbing the happiness of ponies she hates, ancient secrets, magic, sweets.

Dislikes: Celestia/Equestrian order, ponies being happy while she isn't, not being recognized for her greatness.

Character Summary: Arcana is a pony of a somewhat sad fate. As a foal, she was raised by just her mother, a poor mare who worked constantly to keep the two of them fed. As a result, the shy young Arcana spent her early years quite sad and alone.

This was until she met a foal her age who happened to live nearby. Dazzle Dawn was bright, sunny and sweet, everything Arcana was not. Arcana couldn't help but be fascinated by her and took to her strongly. The two spent years as the best of friends, completely inseparable.

That was until Dazzle had to move away with her family. Arcana was heartbroken. Though Dazzle spoke of them reuniting and Arcana wanted nothing more than to believe her; as an eternal pessimist, the small spark of hope that Dazzle formed in her heart was soon clouded in doubt.

Yet as it were, the young unicorn had little time to lament the loss of her friend in her life, for she soon suffered a more pressing loss. Though things had become easier for Arcana with Dazzle around, her mother still struggled to take care of herself and her daughter. After having lost her job, she saw no choice but to fall in with a less than savory crowd. This was only ever supposed to be temporary; as soon as she found another job she was set to leave that all behind. The criminal ponies wouldn't have this though, fearing Arcana's mother knew too much about their operations. Days after she announced she was cutting ties with them, she was brutally attacked in her own home.

Arcana was there to witness the attack. Bravely, the filly rushed to save her mother's life. It looked helpless at first. It was many adults against one filly. Then something happened. Love and desperation forced something inside Arcana to explode outward. Her cutie mark, a swirl of dark flames, appeared, and with it, a wave of powerful black fire. The criminal ponies all ran for their lives, and for a moment Arcana thought everything was fine. However, the fire didn't go away when the criminals did. Arcana was powerless to control it all and soon her house was ablaze. Arcana fought to pull her mother out of the fire, but she hadn't the strength to move the weakened mare. By the time help arrives, it was too late. Arcana was left with a wounded, devastated heart.

Arcana was sent to live with relatives to whom she felt she had no attachment and who, partly blaming her for what had happened to her mother, made no attempt to warm to her. As she attended school, she felt broken and empty. She became jaded and cold to everything around her. She was bullied harshly at school for being such a gloomy outcast. This was the only reason she applied herself there. She wanted to prove that she could be better than the bullies and critics.

As her studies progressed, Arcana became even more resentful. The Equestria she saw around her was such a bright and cheery land. It sickened her. The idea of the all powerful Celestia smiling proudly down on all the happy ponies from her place of power while Arcana alone seemed to be miserable particularly unsettled the young unicorn. She studied hard to learn more and more magic, following what at the time was just a dream of someday having enough power to one day challenge the way things were.

Arcana graduated at the top of her class from her school and was awarded a scholarship to continue her education at Canterlot University. Still eager for more knowledge, Arcana began attending classes there. To her utter shock, it was here that she was reunited with Dazzle.

She initially treated Dazzle as coldly and indifferently as anypony else. Their shared past was ancient history as far as she was concerned. But Dazzle didn't seem phased. On the contrary, though Arcana had changed so much, Dazzle seemed to be the exact same pony she had been when they were foals, treating her as if nothing had changed. Dazzle showed her nothing but kindness and fondness. Arcana was deeply confused.

She was confused, but it felt nice. For the first time since Dazzle had moved away, she had a friend again. Slowly, her cold exterior began to ever so slightly peel away. Arcana wondered if perhaps she couldn't become an ordinary member of Equestrian society after all.

But this would not last. Dazzle alone was not enough to bring Arcana from the darkness, especially not since her time was spent divided between a large number of friends of which Arcana was only one. After a nightmare induced moment of acute anxiety, Arcana snapped and decided to put Dazzle and the rest behind her. She left the university without a word to anypony, never to return again.

Arcana became a seeker of dark secrets, particularly those predating the rise of Celestia and Luna, from the time when Discord reigned. She is after any means to amplify her magical power, and is willing to sink to any depths to do just that.

Arcana is a very talented magician. Though she lacks the shear magical force of the very best unicorn mages (say, Twilight Sparkle), she is very quick thinking and able to masterfully apply what power she does have to the given situation. Her specialty is her black flames, which she has effortless control of now. She also has a fondness for and an affinity with various exotic beasts and is capable of compelling them to do her bidding through magic to some extent.

Arcana is generally cold, jaded and bitter. She has an incredibly jealous side and moments of intense wrathfulness. Though not above being cruel, she has frequent attacks of anxious jitteriness where she doubts herself and everything she does. She is nevertheless, cunning, intelligent, capable and diligent in ways few ponies are. She also has a far warmer side that only Dazzle has ever really seen.

Arcana is a Beta Class unicorn on the U.M.A.T. scale.

Awesome pic courtesy of Sulvuss can be found here:

http://Treeonthehill.deviantart.com/art/Phil-s-Request-276323751

Yet as it were, the young unicorn had little time to lament the loss of her friend in her life, for she soon suffered a more pressing loss. Just a few weeks later, Arcana awoke from a horrible nightmare to find her home engulfed in terrible black flames. Strangely, these flames could not burn her, but the same could not be said about everything else in their path, including, much to her horror, her mother. After escaping from her crumbling home, emotionally devastated and more alone than ever before, Arcana realized a swirl of dark flame had appeared on her flank as her cutie mark. She didn't even want to consider what this meant.

After discussing with the other staff, we've determined this is a bit too grimdark for the FiM universe. Death by natural causes isn't bad in itself. The problem is the implied accidental murder, and also then getting her Cutie Mark. Magical black flame isn't a bad talent, but the way it's used here doesn't really fit into the canon world we've seen so far.

I see. :unsure:

I want to re-emphasize that that event occurred through absolutely no fault of Arcana's, even if the flames did come from her. She wasn't even conscious of it, and it was utterly devastating for her. I know it's harsh, but I was actually trying more for tragic than Grimdark with that instance.

It's sort of an integral part of her story too. A pivotal point in developing her outlook on the world. I'm currently at something of a loss for a substitute that would have pushed her character in a similar direction.

I'd rather like to have Arcana for the RP too, as I think she's a complex and interesting character. I suppose if this detail truly does need to be changed, I'll try and think of something that works as a replacement within the next couple days. :sleep:

Okay, after thinking on this all throughout the day, I came up with a substitute event for her that works for me.

I hope this is better. I made it less of a random tragic occurrence. Arcana's cutie mark now appears as a result of positive, heroic emotions. Also, it's even less her fault, with nameless criminals being most responsible.

If this still isn't workable, I'll try and think of something else.

She doesn't have a permanent residence. She travels. Basically the idea is that I can have her appear in any location within the RP.

For the sake of this RP, no, she hasn't found anything so pressing in regards to her goal. It wouldn't be at all appropriate to give her any truly powerful ancient magics in the RP, I think. I wouldn't want an overpowered character. Of course, if you read my fan fic... the story might be a little different...

I'm not sure what you mean by shadows. From their name, it sounds like she might be interested though.

Thanks a lot! Danton seems like an interesting character too. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by shadows. From their name, it sounds like she might be interested though.

Well after reading Arcana's Character summary, I reminded me of an aspect I forgot to add about Danton. His love for shadows and the Darkness, but not in an evil way.

What I was asking was something like: "Does/Can she draw power from the dark?" or "Does she feel better in the dark than in the light?"

Oh, you putting it in quotes kinda threw me off... :blush:

She definitely favors night time and the dark (and even has an admiration for Princess Luna/Nightmare Moon). She also just likes dark colors, which is why she wears the black scarf and hat and all that.

But is she actually more powerful in the dark or something? No, not particularly. Except in that her fire probably sticks out less.

Yeah. I already did notice a number of similarities between her and Malediction (though I believe they still have a considerable number of differences). Dazzle Dawn commented on that when she met Mal in an RP. I'd be curious to see what happened if the two did meet.