hi hi

I think its just an animator having a laugh. Either that or she's wearing a nightmare night costume. Or, you know what? It's a figment of Twilight's imagination. She's terrified of being replaced as Princess Celestia's star pupil, and what would be more likely to replace her than a winged unicorn?

• Like 1

Actually, Pluto/Alula appeared in a previous episode - Call of the Cutie. Back then she was only a pegasus.

In this flash back though, every foal is required to be a unicorn apparently. It may be a possibility that an animator recycled Pluto only to realize she needed to be a unicorn, and "accidently" made her an alicorn for this one instance.

Either way though, we can handwave her out of canon by just presuming that "Twilight was imagining the whole thing". CANON SAVED.

EDIT: And apparently I was right.

71640 - animation_error fim_crew.png

RIP Alicorn Pluto. The good die young.

• Like 1

Well, I learned something today.

Apparently, 4 hours of sleep combined with a low quality video on fullscreen can really hamper my judgment. Watched it a second time after washing out my face to wake up and found a better quality video (the one here, duh) and watched it without it being of fullscreen...

OMG IT WAS EPIC!

I think my favorite part aside from the Rainbow Nuclear explosion had to be the pony dog-pile on Big Mac suddenly exploding sending ponies everywhere while he chased after Mayor Mare...

I laughed so hard my sides hurt.

hi hi

Also, I guess I forgot to say this earlier, but I thought this week's lesson was spot on. Its something I've noticed a lot whenever people get into really divisive arguments. Neither side ever takes the other side's concerns seriously. Its one thing to disagree with someone's methods, but if you don't even think that someone's concerns are valid, there's no way you'll come to an agreement.

hi hi

Also, I guess I forgot to say this earlier, but I thought this week's lesson was spot on. Its something I've noticed a lot whenever people get into really divisive arguments. Neither side ever takes the other side's concerns seriously. Its one thing to disagree with someone's methods, but if you don't even think that someone's concerns are valid, there's no way you'll come to an agreement.

Nice sum-up, Ginger~

I finally watched the episode closely three times through. Now that I can relax and come up with detailed opinions about the episode, here's what I came up with. Notes are in the order that they appeared in episode.

The new theme is cool. Although it's not much of a change. It's was so of what I was expecting, as Ingram had only stated that it was a remastering of the theme. But the small change makes me wonder why they felt they had to change it at all. Train is cool, though, and it allows a touch more focus towards the secondary characters like the CMCs.

Twilight's facial expressions, I love them...

Towards the end of the cupcake scene, Mrs. Cake sounds much like Rarity. Probably the same VA.

The looneiness the cartoon has forced is a nice taste of awesome, in my opinion. Things like the sun and windmill acting like Twilight's clock and Spike moving the background from out behind freak-out Twilight was pretty classic.

Magic kindergarten? Nice. I shall use this in role play (shuffles palms together)

I love stressed Twilight, she is awesome. And the writing staff did a good job with her lines. They were very complex, original, and smooth.

Ribbon encrusted with diamonds? Damn, Rarity, you rich.

Karate Rainbow, again. I guess she really is a black belt.

Love how Twilight froze RD's tail in midair. That's pretty hardcore magix. And I wish they extended the therapist scene a little, it was quite clever. And finally, I wonder if this counts as RD's third Sonic Rainboom, or if it's something else like the Buccaneer Blaze.

The unexpected sequence the show has is plenty enough to keep be entertained. Even without the memes that make it more fun, this show is awesome. Fluttershy vs. Bear was... was... *SQUEE*

Twilight starting to crack. Not sure if I like the Smeagol parallel ego thing. And Spike is a good straight in this episode. What would Twilight do without her. It would make all of these superb facial expressions meaningless.

Pinkie uncovering the balloons in the basket was really funny to me, not sure why. And I'm not even sure if she meant to do it as a joke and no one laughed so she gave a puzzled look, or if she was herself wondering what just happened.

Rarity take again. Me wuv it.

Crazy Twilight needs a justifying name. And while I can't think of a good one, I commend her for at least having the courage to ask her friends for help even when it probably made Twilight look, well, crazy.

Some episodes confuse me a little with the lesson involved. At this point, it should have been clear what the lesson was. But because I look too far deeply into things, I was looking for something more deeper to glue this episode together. The picnic scene, while it ended up being the main turning point in the episode, didn't strike me as a fixable conflict at first. I had thought her friends were right when they assured Twilight that it wasn't that big of a deal. But, the end reveals a two-part lesson in which one part explains how her friends didn't take her concern seriously when they should have. Really? Common, Celestia, Y U do that? And it's funny how the characters always expect the worst when they feel Celestia will be made at them. This time, however, it almost look like we were gonna lose Twilight forever. Punishment... Pfft...

As Twilight left the picnic in anger, it was fun to see her reaction. But when she made her re-reaction, the second "UGH!!" I laughed so hard. It was amazing.

Rarity calls the kettle black...

Crazy Twilight > Crazy Pinkie. There I said it. You. Can. Not. Beat. Those. Facial. Expressions. And a touch scary, but I commend the animators for what they came up with. It's one of the many things that make this show the awesomeness that it is. Plus, Sweetie Belle really likes Smartypants' Mane.

The "Want it, Need it" spell is a bit mary sue for my taste as it relates to RP. I'm pretty sure if Twilight wanted to rage and try to take over Equestria, she could put up a fair fight against Celestia. She may lose, but it does make you wonder...

And suddenly, Big Mac. Nuff Said, this is turning into one of the greatest episodes.

Hear that? HE SAID IT. HE SAID IT. He said, "Nope."

And yet, a third Bon Bon voice.

You know, all of those fillies trying to reach for what Big Mac has in his mouth is kinda... you know, I'm gonna stop myself right there.

Enter the Tyrant. I really didn't get this. But before I complain further, let me just say that this is the first time we've seen Derpy go from normal-eyed to derpy-eyed in the same set of frames. Proving once again that Derpy's nature doesn't make her retarded, it's just who she is. And Big Mac X Smartpants? Maybe. Or maybe he found the next piece to the puzzle of his crush with Twilight. (riverhippo pours fireworks into fire.)

Celestia was pretty mean, even if she was just trying to scare her student into not making the same mistake. I don't know what they were going for here from the writing staff. It's almost like they want the fandom to promote Trollestia the tyrant. Then again, if I was a kid watching this show Celestia promotes the parent and/or teacher role and it would make sense to have a little fear for her, since she is the boss. Sometimes Celestia makes mistakes, but that doesn't make her any less of a leader. (My input, anyway) Fluttershy, yes kindergarten, and Rainbow, *facehoof*, yes Canterlot, you know that city where you guys went to the Gala, you know what, never mind.

Dual focus-pan shot where Spike is hiding behind the bookcase was brilliant. I want more of this.

Ok, Celestia. REALLY!? So she doesn't need a letter every week. "I'm listening"? Celestia, who the hell do you think you are, lol. negotiating with Twilight friends when there isn't any negotiations to be had. And as Twilight's friends explain, Celestia doesn't look amused at all. "Look's like you all learned a very valuable lesson today." Yeah, Celestia, you're a tyrant who terrorizes ponies. Even the ones you care about.

...Ok. So now all of the Mane 6 can write letters. I think the story-boarders were made to put this in for future episodes. This is kind of nice, as it will keep from Twilight hoggin' all the screen time. We'll see how it plays out.

Wait. SO that's it? The lesson WAS taking your friends seriously? Ugh. This is probably the worst part of the episode. A great episode needs a good lesson learned in order to be considered the best. For that reason, I can't make this my favorite episode yet. But it was very very very very good.

Score: 9 cupcakes without frosting out of 10.

Best Pony: Twilight Sparkle.

hi hi

Riverhippo, I don't think Celestia was ever mad about Twilight not having her assignment done on time. She was cross with Twilight because she started a big fight. (which, if you ask me, is a bit justified)

A town-wide riot after bewitching most of the town in order to attempt to solve a problem no less. I hope they don't teach that spell to many unicorns. :-|

• Like 1

hi hi

Riverhippo, I don't think Celestia was ever mad about Twilight not having her assignment done on time. She was cross with Twilight because she started a big fight. (which, if you ask me, is a bit justified)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Celestia realised that Twilight was misusing her spell. Though really, it's hard to think of a way to NOT misuse a spell that is esentially portable mind control.

At the risk of hyperbole, it was close to a perfect episode (a song would have put it over the top)

The story was based on already established character traits of Twilight, as shown most profoundly in Bird in the Hoof, Meghan McCarthy is EXCELLENT at crazy in a funny way (Party of One) and I honestly didn't expect Twilight to become laugh out loud funny by the third act, but she kept upping the ante here. Notable in that it's crazy in a different way with similar but different visual cues to the Pinkie Pie meltdown, which I appreciate. I also suspect this is why Pinkie wasn't included very heavily in this episode, as Meghan also seems to love to write a zany, crazy Pinkie ("For-EVER!") and probably didn't want to take away from Twilight's zaniness.

The gags were pretty good (not superb, but still good) and surprised me a few times, but what I liked the most was the double lesson. Far too often I've felt they've done their Aesop at the expense of another lesson they also should have acknowledged, but the fact they managed to include BOTH blew me away.

I was saying to Twitter today I'm so nuts I'm starting to track writters to predict what they'll do plotwise in future episodes. Obsessed? Me? Neverrr

A town-wide riot after bewitching most of the town in order to attempt to solve a problem no less. I hope they don't teach that spell to many unicorns. :-|

Heh. Twilight is the personal student to Princess Celestia. I think it's pretty well established she's one of the best ponies at unicorn magic there is.

I'm sure she's probably one of the very few ponies that could possibly know a spell like that. :)

Thankfully... :/

• Like 1

I wonder if Celestia herself ever uses spells like that...

Considering it's basically mind control, I'm sure that question will inspire proponents of Tyrant Celestia everywhere. :P

• Like 1

Heh. Twilight is the personal student to Princess Celestia. I think it's pretty well established she's one of the best ponies at unicorn magic there is.

I'm sure she's probably one of the very few ponies that could possibly know a spell like that. :)

Thankfully... :/

Imagine if Trixie managed to find that special grimoire that taught that spell... :twisted:

Oh gawd I just a great RP idea :shifty:

• Like 1

I am in the strange position of being both eager to see this but also terrified of it.

If I did, it be some big moral/friendship lesson for Trixie, because I wouldn't just let her run around doing that; if she did, there have to be some real consequences for her.

• Like 1