[Festival Grounds] Lost in the Crowd (open)

"Ah'll see you tonight at the festival, everypony!" Apple Bloom shouted at her rapidly emptying classroom before dashing off herself. The little yellow filly was SO excited to get out of school that she didn't even wait for her friends. She ran home and gobbled her dinner before dashing off to the hayloft in the barn. This is where she had hidden her costume, a less-than-spectacularly creative costume she dubbed "The Ghost Rider"; after a old comic book she had seen one of her cousin's out in Appleloosa reading, about a ghost horse in the old west who fought crime.

Her costume was, simply put, a sheet with holes cut out for her eyes.

More elaborately, the little filly had carefully sewn the costume to be form-fitting, complete with independently-moving leg-coverings, and several layers of a gauzy material, the second-to-outermost painted using this special kind of paint that would glow in the dark. The rest of her legs were painted with the same phosphorescent paint, and her mane and tail utilized the same paint in a mixture with some conditioner that would be easy for her to wash out later. She even cunningly installed a special thin saddlebag to hold any treats she might get during the festival that was nearly indistinguishable from the rest of her costume.

She painted a bare apple tree surrounded by the ghosts of apples on both of her flanks, looked in the mirror that she has smuggled into the hayloft, her secret hideout even from her best friends, for a second. "Lookin' good, Apple Bloom" she laughed. This was going to be the best joke ever. The normally straightforward, and practical....if not a tiny bit bossy...filly wasn't one who would ordinarily pull pranks on her friends. But something about the harvest festival just brought out an orneriness in her. Maybe it was the whole "trick or treat" idea, but she just had to play a good joke on her friends and family.

"Ah jus' hope I can fool all my friends into not knowin' it's me." she beamed at her reflection. "An' then trick that ol' sister o' mine into believin' that I got my cutie mark, and that it's jus' somethin' so awful that she'll take pity on me and get me some of them caramel apples! Home-made apples is good, but those ones at the carnival are SPECTACULAR!"

She shook her flank to dry it off, then carefully donned her costume, doing a funny little dance as she shook the costume to cover all of her posterior. Finally she crowned the look with one of Applejack's old hats that she had painted with the phosphorescent paint, and for good measure an old toy sherriff's star and a paisley bandana painted in the same paint to make sure that everypony got the point that she wasn't just any ghost, she was a ghost from the ol' West! As a final added touch she blackened the area around her eyes with some charcoal and assessed herself again. Her vibrant red and amber eyes shone back at her, rather sinisterly surrounded by the glow and her shrouds, and she shivered. "Ah sure do look spooky!", she added, standing in the light for a few moments to make sure that her costume was fully charged for maximum glow.

She hid the purloined mirror under the hay where it had been hidden, climbed out of the loft and took off with as much speed as she could muster to the direction of the festival. Nopony was going to be able to figure out who she was!

sml_gallery_475_9_23915.jpg

Haywire

Haywire walked towards the festival, wearing a large white sheet over her chosen costume. She had big plans for this special night, plans to make plenty of mischief and chaos.

"Ha! This here's the one night outta the year where I kin prank everypony and not git in trouble!" the little filly said to herself as she ducked behind some bushes. Soon, Granny Smith walked up, seeing a big red apple hanging from a string in the tree nearby. As the lime green mare reached up to bite it, Haywire jumped out from the bushes in her all red devil suit.

"GOTCHA!" the filly screamed.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" the elderly mare shrieked as she jumped high in the air before landing and trying to run away as fast as she could, but not getting very far. "MONSTER! SCARY MONSTER!"

Haywire was so tickled, she began laughing hysterically. The mischievious filly laughed so hard, she rolled on the grass until she ended up at the feet of the disguised AppleBloom. Quickly, the red suited filly sprang to her feet.

"Hay, did YOU see what I jist did! I scared the puddin' outta that old green mare! She sure ain't what she used to be! What a sap! What a dope! What a rube! Say, wanna help me pull some more pranks tonight? Great costume, by the way. I'm Haywire, what's yur name?"

Survey was still busy laying the last touches on his custome - a mummy costume, with real ancient bandages that he 'lent' from Brazil's workplace -. As he was busy trying to get them as good-looking as possible, he levitated two gems toward him, eyeing them for any scratches. He had recently found a spell wich made them light up and change color, and what could be spookier than scary, red, glowing eyes! Survey, as usual, has done his research on how mummies are supposed to look, so he knew what he had to do. He slowly used his magic to attach the gems onto the costume. ''G-Good! A-all s-set S-Survey! L-let's h-hope y-you'll s-scare some p-ponies w-with this!'' he said, with a wicked grin and a nervous chuckle.

Sometime later he finally managed to finish working on his outfit. ''A-A-alright.. t-this h-has.. b-been q-quite.. t-tiring.. b-but.. a-atleast it w-works..'' he said, slowly levitating the bandages over to him as he wrapped them around himself, covering most of his body. He quickly placed his glasses on the table, and used a spell to change it into small, contact lense sized glasses, and placed them infront of his eyes. ''A-alright.. n-now the g-gems..'' he said, carefully levitating the enchanted gems over to his face. He gently placed them infront of his eyes, making him see right through them, as per result of the second spell. ''I-i'm g-going to s-show B-Brazil t-that i c-can b-be g-good a-at.. u-uhm.. w-what was it a-again?... o-oh y-yes! H-Halloween.. i t-think..'' he said, biting his lip as he left for the festival. He was really looking forward to the faces of the other ponies if a 'real' mummy would appear on the festival!

As he made his way to the festival, he heard a scream of somepony. Survey, as curious as always decided to take a peek. He noticed a elderly mare trying to run away from a disguised filly. He chuckled nervously at the sight, as he hasn't been able to scare anypony yet. However, due to his nervousness he decided not to get to close to them. He walked over to the other scared mare, who was busy screaming things at the filly that had just scared her.. ''E-e-excuse me.. a-are you alright?'' he asked, his eyes hidden behind haunted-looking gemstones.

"Well Howdy Haywire, Am'm App-the Glamorous Ghost Rider, but Ah ain't sure it was nice-a ya to scare Ol' Granny Smith so bad like that. She's got a weak heart, an' a bad hip, ya know?", Apple Bloom said a little hesitantly. "An you probably oughtn't talk about your elders like that. It's just kinda' mean. Well, Ah bet that ol' Mare's somepony's Granny." She was having a premonition that his russet-colored and bright eyed filly, about her age, may turn out to be all kinds of trouble.

"Ah shore like yer costume though, and Ah haven't run into my friends yet, so we SHOULD team up an' see who we can scare the most, but Ah think that maybe we should stick to scarin' youngin's an' my Sis...Ponies with apple-themed cutie marks that ain't someone's Granny. We got a deal?" Apple Bloom held out one faintly glowing hoof. "Maybe we can even try to scare one o' these vendors into givin' us some candy apples!" The yellow filly shouted a little louder than she intended, eyes fixed on a nearby sparkling display of apples encased in a ruby-red coloring. Her mouth fell open and a bit of drool fell from her lower lip.

Candy Apples. She'd get one tonight for sure!

"Well, let's git over there where the rides an' games start, Ah'm betting that we'll be able to get someponies GOOD right there!!!" She gestured before galloping through the crowd towards the mock cemetery that had been erected to disguise the base of the ferris wheel.

"Ah bet if we hide in here an' pop up once inna while, we'll get some GREAT screams!"

As Apple Bloom galloped to the fake cemetary, eager to scare an unsuspecting pony with her costume, she never suspected that somepony else might have the same idea. At the moment, a much older pony waited behind a mausoleum in the middle of the cemetary. She grinned at the sound of footsteps, showing artificially pointed teeth. To the untrained eye, she didn't look much like a pony at all, but like a werewolf. Her costume was so carefully assembled that she'd gotten odd, rather frightened looks from some of the other ponies. Perhaps they actually suspected that a real werewolf was among them?

But that impression was dispelled when Rose Madder talked to the other ponies in a perfectly normal voice. Werewolves weren't known for talking outside of growls and snarls. Perhaps she could have done a feral sort of accent, but that would have been murder on her throat, and besides, she didn't want to be in character all the time. There was a time and place for scaring ponies, and Rose decided a few minutes ago that it was here and now.

When the footsteps got close enough, Rose took a deep breath and howled like a wolf. She'd been practicing her howl all week, gleefully anticipating the time when she'd be able to use it in public and chill some poor pony's blood with it. Even she was impressed with how deep and lifelike she sounded, and she felt her hair stand on end (despite the false wolf pelt attached to it with spirit gum).

Once she finished, she popped out of hiding to see who she scared: a pair of little fillies and a skinny stallion. "Not bad, huh?" she asked. "Your costume's not bad either, guy. How'd you get the wrappings like that? They look really real!"

When Sunrise Beach heard about the Harvest Spooktacular, a week long event that led to the climax of Nightmare Night this weekend, she had to go! Of course, sneaking off to a festival for the weekend wouldn't be normally viable, but her patron, miss Tea Cozy, had taken ill and was required to move back to Cloudsdale for care. Sunrise Beach was supposed to return to Roughrider Ridge and move back in with her mom, but she was starting to really enjoy Ponyville; receiving a real education, making actual friends - she didn't want to disappoint her mom now by having to return home.

So here she was in the now empty nursery that she still had her key for and was using as her "home," writing another letter to her dam, Martini Paradise. “Dear Mom – everything is going well here in Ponyville. I am still making new friends, and we’re having a good time. I’m learning a lot of new things. Miss Tea Cozy is still here, taking good care of me.” It was a lie, but she hoped that perhaps she could find another patron here in town before it she was found out. Of course, Ponyville being small, she tried to disguise herself when she just went out and about - the disguise could double as a Festival costume, right?

Sunrise straightened out her mane, just like that one purple unicorn she saw working at the library that her friends seemed to know. Donning a part of old fashioned oversized glasses that hung around her neck on a cord, resting against her chest, and putting on a pair of saddlebags full of books, she was ready to go as a librarian! This was what librarians looked like, right?

"Like, I wonder if any of my friends will be at the festival! That would be Most. Excellent! Like, would I recognize them? I bet they were totally triumphant in making their most bodacious costumes! I hope mine isn't too bogus…" It was these thoughts that occupied the turquoise foal's mind as she took the train to the festival grounds in Fillydelphia. Her doubt about her own outfit was mostly forgotten by the time she had arrived, too overwhelmed by the decorations, the food, and the costumes surrounding her.

It was so overwhelming that she didn’t have the faintest idea where to start – the rising howl of a wolf caught her attention over all the commotion. "Whoah! Is someone, like, doing a scary contest?! That would be triumphant!" She ran as fast as her little legs could carry her, her saddlebags bouncing enough to almost throw the books free. Turing the corner, she saw quite the sight! An eerie ghost, a devil filly, some sort of wrapped mummy, and ... of course, the werewolf! "Whoahoho! Like, totally magnificent costumes, dudes and dudettes!"

The frightened Granny Smith, shaking like a leaf, looked up at Survey in his mummy costume.

"Yeah, I'm fine, sonny. Ain't had a good scare like that in years! Like that time I saw that thar fuzzy rattlesnake in Ponyville. Weirdest lookin' critter I every saw! Thanks fer checkin' on me, I'm Granny Smith!"

As Haywire was about to answer the disguised "Ghost Rider" Apple Bloom, she saw the "Werewolf" Rose Madder and "Librarian" Sunrise Beach.

"Hay! Great costumes, guys! I think Ghost Rider's got the right idea, let's go to the cemetary and do some more great scaring!"

After Haywire placed her outer white sheet back over herself, she followed the others and walked near 'Apple Bloom.'

"Well, maybe I did go a little wild with that old lady, but hay, Nightmare Night only comes once a year! Gotta git all the good scarin' in while we can!"

Survey looked a bit suprised, as the elderly mare looked right through his costume. ''O-oh.. g-good.. w-well, i'm S-Survey.. ma'am..'' he said, a coy grin noticable trough the bandages. He knew that his costume was only 'average' but it had to atleast be able to scare a old mare! He sighed. ''U-uhm.. e-excuse me, m-ma'am..'' he says, as he shrieked a bit at the sudden howl. What in Celestia's sake was that! he asks himself in his mind. He slowly approached the source of the sound and saw the wolf. He eeped, and jumped backwards. A wolf! Here! he yelled to himself, as he shook his head. Wait.. did the wolf just ask something?

He quickly got back into reality as he stood there for a second. ''O-oh, t-these w-wrappings? W-well.. i w-was b-busy w-with them f-for q-quite a w-while.. a-and.. w-well.. t-the w-wrappings /a-are/ r-real...'' he says nervously. ''B-but a-anyway.. i-i'm S-Survey..'' he says, offering her a hoof. ''A-and, if i m-may s-say so.. w-what a v-very n-nice c-costume d-do you have! he says, with a coy grin.

Come on now Survey, you got to keep in your head that you cannot hang out with ponies too long tonight! You have to bring those bandages back before anypony finds out.. especially Brazil! he tought to himself, gulping almost unnoticably.

He looked over to the librarian too, grinning at her aswell, but still having his hoof out for the wolf. ''H-hello! Y-you have a n-nice c-costume a-aswell, m-ma'am, T-though i must adimt.. it's a r-rather strange.. c-choice of a c-costume... v-very nice n-nontheless!'' he says nervously to her.

When Rose Madder howled from behind the gravestones, Apple Bloom jumped with a little strangled yelp. "A real live werewolf! Here in Ponyville!" the little yellow filly thought to herself. Where's Big Mac when you need him to protect When the previously crimson pony popped out from behind the gravestones and looked around in such a ponylike-manner, Apple knew that it was just a well-crafted costume. She had to admit to herself, though, that it was a pretty good joke.

She looked over at her grandmother, and the elderly green pony was actually LAUGHING with the mummy over there. She had gotten over her scare pretty quickly, but then again, Granny Smith was made of some stern stuff deep down. At least Apple Bloom didn't have to worry much about her. "So far so good, Apple Bloom", she encouraged herself. "Even Granny Smith don't seem to be recognizing ya!"

She turned to Haywire, who had just suggested that they gang up and scare more ponies, when out of the corner of her eye a familiar turquoise unicorn came galloping up, "Sun...." Apple Bloom started to say, incredulously. She had thought that her friend had moved back to her mother in the ridge when Tea Cosy had unexpectedly come down with an illness that necessitated a move to Canterlot. "What is she doing here? Who is she staying with? Do Sweetiebelle and Scootaloo know?" All these questions raced through her mind. She wanted to say something, but at the same time knew that the second she opened her mouth and spoke normally the jig would be up. Instead she nodded noncommittally at Sunrise, and spoke in a gruff voice, "Nice costume, you supposed to be Twilight Sparkle's mom?"

Rose felt her furry chest swell with pride. At least two of the ponies there, the ones dressed like a mummy and a ghost, got just the shock she wanted out of them. In fact, it seemed like the one in the mummy costume hadn't recovered from the scare, stuttering like a broken record when he responded to her.

"Real mummy wrappings?" she asked, taken aback by the admission. "You're pulling my tail, right? How... where could you possibly get those? I'd think those would be pretty well priceless, wouldn't you?" A confrontational tone crept into her voice. How was she supposed to compete with real mummy wrappings, short of going out and skinning an actual wolf, or perhaps looking up a transformation spell of some kind? She guessed that what this colt was doing wasn't technically cheating, since there were no real rules outside of Rose's head, but it still annoyed her.

She almost didn't notice the newcomer, dressed as a librarian, until she spoke in a hilarious surfer accent. She'd never heard a filly talk like that before, and she had to suppress a laugh. Was it an affectation, a part of her costume? It couldn't be, could it? Not unless this girl had a weird image of librarians. "Thanks, you're costume's pretty good too," Rose told her, unable to keep a huge grin off her face.

Sunrise Beach felt a bit embarrassed. She knew her costume wasn't really that good, but at least it wasn't egregious, right? "Umm, er, thanks, I'm uhh.. Yeah Twilight Sparkle's mom! Like, this is what her mom looks like, yep!" Truth was, Sunrise had no clue what "Twilight Sparkle's mom" looked like, she had never even met Twilight Sparkle, although she knew who the library curator was. Everypony in Ponyville did. Considering how much of an egghead Twilight was, Sunrise was sure her mom had to be more so!

Still, she was getting complements, and that was good! Rose madder, the unicorn mare, even had a huge smile on her face. Sunrise was surprised to see the mare dressed up in a costume, but then, there were a LOT of adults who were in costumes! And that was pretty neat!

She smiled over to the two foals with sheets over the bodies, "so, like, you're both spooky ghosts! Are you like, best buddies, to have matching costumes? Oh! My name is Sunrise! Sunrise Beach! What's yours!? So, like, I haven't seen any of my totally awesome friends here yet, so if its, like, cool and junk, I'll just hang with you all!"

Haywire laughed at the notion that she and AppleBloom (though she didn't know it was Applebloom under her sheet) were best buddies.

"Well, the two of us jist had the same great costume idea, that's all, But MY costume has a surprise to it. Ya see, when some unsuspecting pony approaches me, thinking I'm jist some common ghost, I do THIS!"

Haywire threw off her white sheet to reveal her bright red devil costume beneath it while she made scary noises and funny faces.

"Worked like a charm earlier tonight," the filly said as she threw her white sheet back on. "Scared the daylights out of a old gray mare! I LOVE Nightmare Night!"

"Yeah, Ah just met Hayseed. An that ol' grey mare just ain't what she used to be..." Apple Bloom quipped, dropping her fake accent and speaking in her normal voice, hoping that Sunrise would recognize her now. So many O' us are out to scare other folks here at the festival that we just kind seem to be banding together. "You can come with us is you want, but Ah don't reckon that anypony will find a librarian reeally scary, unless they have lotsa overdue books!"

With wide eyes, Apple Bloom tried with all her might to will Sunrise Beach to a more secluded spot. She had SO many questions to ask the turquoise unicorn. But she didn't seem to recognize the yellow filly, even though Apple Bloom had resumed using her normal , rather distinctive mannerisms. A sudden alarming thought came to Apple Bloom. What if NOPONY recognized her for the rest of the night? It was funny at first to think that she could play a joke on her friends, but she assumed that they would realize it was her pretty quickly. But what if they didn't! She was all alone!

"Sunrise?"

Sunrise Beach looked rather surprised as the one ghost suddenly lifted the white sheet to reveal another costume underneath. Rather than being scared, she couldn't help but chuckle as the red earth foal made a bunch of goofy faces that she no doubt thought were scary. "Like, totally radical! I saw like another pony as a devil but, like, they weren't doing the most excellent idea of two costumes in one! It totally matches your coat too!" Indeed, Sunrise remembered seeing an orange mare with a carrot cutie mark running around as one, and that had been a nice costume as well, but she wanted to make this foal happy, after all she needed acquaintances to hang with.

Upon hearing the other ghostly foal speak, Sunrise arched her eyebrow. That voice sounded really familiar, but she wasn't entirely sure, and she didn't want to make herself look like an idiot for guessing wrong. She already felt bad enough for having missed the obvious intent of the group - to scare ponies for the night. And her lame-o costume was anything but scary. "Y-yeah ... I guess, like, isn't any good for scaring anyone unless like they totally hate reading or something." Oh, that sounded lame, was that supposed to be, like, a joke or something, Sunrise?

Unable to think of any snappy comeback, she almost didn't notice that the familiar-sounding ghost was gesturing to her to move away from the others, as if she wanted to tell a secret. Sunrise curiously stepped backwards along with the ghostly foal, and the ghost said her her name in that same familiar voice and accent ...

"App!" Sunrise quickly put her forehoof in front of her mouth before she blurted out the name she hoped was right. She lowered her voice and said in a much more hushed tone, "A-Applebloom? Is that, like, you?"

(( S-sorry that i'm late.. ))

Survey was a bit confused with how to awnser it, as he knew it could get him in serious trouble if he told her too much. He did not ask Brazil if he could use those bandages, and neither did he ask the museum. He was in deep trouble if he'd slip too much information, so he just tried to sound as vague as possible. ''F-from the m-museum!'' he said, excitedly. Damnit! Why did he just say that! He couldn't do anything about it now, so he just tried to remain calm - and say nothing supsicious, though he now looked like he was the pony that had just lit up the whole festival.

Forgetting about the rules is one thing, but neglecting them when you know they are there,That's something Survey didn't really like, though he did it himself quite a couple of times. As he looked around at the other ponies, he realized it wasn't a time of talking anyway. There was some drama going on, it seemed.

"Excuse me while I git my sheet back on," Haywire said as she walked away from the others to put her sheet back on over her red devil suit. As she did, she thought about all the scaring she wanted to do tonight. She couldn't help but giggle for what she had done to Granny Smith eariler. Then she thought about all the candy she had collected and how she was going to enjoy going on a candy binge later on in the night. Finally, she had her white sheet back in place.

"All done and ready fer some more scarin'!" the disguised filly announced.

Rose paused, wondering how to respond to Survey's admission. She finally settled on "Seriously?"

Weren't items of historical like that protected by museum security? How'd Survey get past those, and where'd he work up the nerve to do it? From what Rose saw of him, he was a stuttering, timid wallflower who wasn't suited to taking risks. And this was a pretty big risk to take, all for the sake of getting a good costume! Her imagination had already started conjuring up exciting explanations for how this could have come to pass when it occurred to her to say something more to him.

"Oh. Well. Best of luck in getting those back in one piece. You may want to think about doing that pretty soon, before something happens and you end up getting fired or arrested or whatever. Don't worry, I won't let anypony know." She looked around and remembered that the two of them weren't alone. "Um, except these folks here. Whoops."

She looked away from Survey and saw Haywire reveal the devil costume underneath her ghost sheet. "Whoa, that's not a bad idea there!" she said to her. "Of course, I think I'd prefer to make one really good costume instead of two in one, but that's just me. I'm sure you'll be turning heads in no time!"

Her congratulatory look swiftly turned uncomfortable, and she started wincing and rubbing her hind legs together. "Ugh... too much pie... not good. Hey, you girls have fun, alright? I'm just gonna... settle this real quick." She turned and galloped off, beginning a frantic search for the festival facilities.

Once they were well-hidden by a garbage can and some assoted foliage, A B whispered, a trifle more loudly than she had intended "Sunrise, what are you DOIN' here? Not that Ah ain't pleased as apple pie to see ya, but Ah thought you went back to live with your mom when Tea Cosy had'ta go to Canterlot! Why..." she started to ask, and then stopped herself. The little yellow filly had so many questions, but they could be asked later. "Ah just sure am happy to see you, Ah was afraid you'd left without sain' goodbye, that's all. We kin talk about why you're still in town later, for now let's TOTALLY SCARE EVERYPONY! But Ah think we need to do something about your costume. Make you scarier", Apple Bloom reared on her hind legs and made "spooky" motions with her hoofs while she thought a minute.

"Ah got it! We can switch costumes. That way no big pony'll recognize you, an Ah'm still wearing enoough o' this glowin' makeup that ah can tell everypony that Ah am a zombie librarian back from the grave to collect their library fines!" The yellow filly began disrobing. "Jus' you wait. This'll be great!" In the back of her mind she was secretly relieved. She was getting a little worried that nopony was recognizing her.

She put the phosphorescent costume at Sunrise Beach's hooves, and smiled. "Put this on, an' then we gotta find somepony buy us all caramel apples, 'cuz Ah'm outta bits."

Sunrise Beach felt bad. Tonight had been the night she was supposed to leave by train for the long trip back to Roughrider Ridge. With her patron needing to go to Canterlot for a while for medical attention, there was nowhere for her to stay in Ponyville. She'd meant to do it in the middle of the night, so she wouldn't have to say good bye to all her new friends. Again. Like she always had to, over and over again. Then she'd come up with a scheme to stay. It was perfect! After all, her dam wanted her to get a good education, and she wanted to keep her friends for a change! Maybe she should at least tell her closest friends, though - they might be able to help! Sunrise was about to spill the beans when Applebloom changed the subject to the more immediate concern - being spooky! "Like ... umm", she looked down at her costume. It was so laaaaame, how could she scare anypony with this?

The yellow earth pony had an answer for that, even if it sounded a little farfetched.. Zombie Librarian? Well, it was worth a try ... and Sunrise could easily stay hidden, and uncaught, with that white sheet. "Well ... Like, okay! This will sooo totally rule!" She took off her glasses and sadllebags, which sadly didn't appear scary no matter how you looked at them, but she had an idea for that too! She grabbed some dirt and mud with her hooves, and then began to smear it all over the saddlebags, sticking some grass and leaves on top for good measure, "umm ... there! Now they are, like, totally zombie-esque?" Sunrise placed them on Applebloom's back with her mouth, hoping she could get them clean later.

Then she slipped on the white phosphorescent sheet, adjusting it so she could see fine. It fit well, even if her horn, sticking up under the sheet, still gave that part of her away. It was covering enough that she could stay anonymous. She was ... kinda scary, at least enough that if she surprised a pony it could work.

Upon hearing how Applebloom wanted caramel apples, Sunrise lit up, "Oh! Like, I saw this stand a little ways away! This orange mare was running an apple bobbing tank and if you got an apple, she gave you a caramel apple! I bet we would, like, totally rule at getting them apples, and we can scare ponies on the way!"