Who's afraid of the monsters? (PM to join!)

Lilia

The white pegasus stood at the entrance to the Haunted House, her Juliet costume working out as best it could. Her blue eyes scanned the crowds coming and going around the attraction, a touch of fear in them. She was usually brave, but this was the one time of year she always dreaded. Her sisters usually protected her from the monsters that other ponies disguised themselves as, but this year was different. She had a stallionfriend to ask, and her twin had decided to spend her time elsewhere. Not that she was scared! No, not this filly, not at all! She was just...nervous. She made sure her costume fit properly and that her cutie mark was still covered before pacing where she stood. Why wouldn't she? She wasn't patient, and she had decided to do this...she just didn't want to do it alone. The pink and red mane fell into her eyes for a second before she brushed away the strands in agitation.

"Where are you, my Romeo? I really, really don't want to go in alone...for that matter, why can't there be a group of us? Safety in numbers and the like..." She muttered softly, shivering as she imagined going in alone. She had very nearly lost her nerve then!

Sherlock fussed at his costume Cherry had gotten for him, he didn't necessarily hate Nightmare Night, he just hadn't done something like this sense he was a colt. The dressing up was something he never made time for. Cherry had already bought the costumes, both from miss Rarity so it wasn't like the cheap store bought stuff. And she had expressed how she loved this holiday, mostly for the pranks. So for her he would break his normal routine; the costume was certainly one of Miss Rarity's, flashy, tight, and more than a little unpractical. He sighed and made his way to the haunted house, that Cherry asked him to meet her at. "I can't imagine that ponies of the 15th century would wear this type of thing... Its far too tight and the material is off..." Being a little bit of a history fanatic, Sherlock tended to break things apart more than was needed sometimes. After a short walk he found said haunted house and noticed Cherry, as when he saw her try it on earlier, he turned a little red. Her costume was certainly wasn't accurate, but it still kept his attention, tight chest, and a short cut skirt just covering her cutie mark. He walked up and noticed her nervous behavior, he smiled and got himself behind her. "You seam a little nervous dear."

Cherry jumped when Sherlock spoke, squeaking as she whirled to face him.  "Oh, Sherlock!  You scared the jeepers outta me!  You look wonderful." She beamed, trying to cover up her squeak.  She nuzzled him in greeting, prepared to walk inside.  "Don't be surprised if I happen to...jump on you...I...I used to be the filly with the monsters under her bed and in my closet..." She whispered, confiding in Sherlock that this place truly frightened her.

Sherlock chuckled at Cherry's reaction usually she was a lot braver and more together than this, he found it very cute. He looked back down at his costume and smiled for her, "Well I'm very happy you like it Cherry. You... uh look very good as well..." He stood at her side and started to walk with her into the house, chuckling at Cherry's fear of monsters. "Don't worry I'll keep you safe."

Cherry blushed, nuzzling against Sherlock's side in a poor attempt to hide it.  "Th-thank you.  You're the first pony I've told that to outside of my family..." She stated, finally looking at Sherlock.  Her heart swelled, beating rapidly against her chest as they got closer to the doors.  As long as he was by her side, there was no way that she could be scared...right?

The doors opened and a pony dressed at a vampire jumped out to greet them. "Hsssss Velcome to vhe haunted manson. Ve warned, all who enter abandon hope! HA HA HA!" Sherlock rolled his eyes at the comically silly looking vampire pony and started into the house, "Veee'll see about D'at!" Sherlock sarcastically replied

Cherry gave a tiny 'eep' of surprise when the vampony jumped out, already starting to tremble slightly.  She cuddled up closer to Sherlock's side without tripping him up, hoping that the shock at the beginning would be all she had that night.  The doors shut with an audible *click* as the inside lock engaged.  The tour pony came out, her voice eerie as she greeted the group.  "Welcome, welcome everypony to the House of Edgar Allen Poeny...Here, you will find the things that tormented his every waking hour, haunted his nighmares and possibly drove him to his demise.  Please remember that anything here can and will try to separate you all!  It is my duty to keep everypony here safe, but I cannot guarantee that everypony will come out at all...If you'll follow me, I shall lead you into the Parlor..." She said, walking among the group as she spoke.

Sherlock rolled his eyes at the guide through the house, but he knew that Cherry wanted to go here so he kept his mouth shut. Noticing Cherry shaking like a leaf he set a hoof on her shoulder and pulled her in close to him. "Don't worry Cherry, you'll be fine" He followed the group into the parlor, made up to look like a more terrifying version of a 19th century home, their version of terrifying was to make it look old and uncleaned for some reason. Sherlock was familiar with the works of Mr. Poeny, they were good horror poems and stories, but he never thought of them as terrifying.

Estrella was giddy with excitement, body practically vibrating with pent up energy. She loved this time of the year! Ponies dressing up as creatures straight out of stories that she read, some ponies even going so far as to make up their own creature costumes, it was all so exciting! She would definitely be retelling stories about this time for sure! She was hiding up in the upper levels of the house, her horn glowing slightly as she disguised herself and a another female pegasus as part of the ceiling, holding her in place until the right cue that would alert her to spring into action.

Please remember that anything here can and will try to separate you all! It is my duty to keep everypony here safe, but I cannot guarantee that everypony will come out at all...If you'll follow me, I shall lead you into the Parlor...

The group of ponies all trotted right into the parlor, doors leading down darkened hallways, staircases also leading up into unknown. As soon as the last pony came through she sprung her 'trap', horn flaring up as the door behind the group slammed closed, the lights dimming even further and her camouflage disappearing, the unicorn throwing herself into the facade of fright.

"Here we go missy!" The Pegasus grinned, dressed entirely in black as a pony ninja.

Estrella nodded to her partner, undoing the masking spell on her but keeping it on the pegasus as they both went down towards the grouped ponies. Down she flew from the ceiling, the pegasus holding her body securely as she arched towards the guide pony, dressed in a black billowing vampony cloak, her white body glowing against the dark like moonlight. Her normally black mane was now blood red along with her eyes. She gave a loud menacing hiss, fangs on display for the ponies close enough to see, all of the preparations making for a very impressive sight. Ponies screamed, a few of them taking off regardless of their guide's warning and Estrella swooped down and captured the guide pony in front of everyone, sweeping the squealing mare into the sky and down one of the hallways upstairs, her screams echoing around the building before fading into nothing.

Cherry screamed when the vampony appeared, resisting the urge to run as she stood rooted to the spot.  How long was it before she heard the guide pony's screams, she didn't know but as the lights came back on, another mare stood before them.  "Oh...oh...wh-where'd she go?" She asked softly, looking around the room for any trace of their prior guide.  

The new guide mare spoke up, her voice altered by a spell.

"Well, now...that was entertaining.  That poor mare...Oh, did you think that we guides were safe too?  Hardly...in fact...we should be moving along before something else decides that we make a good snack..." She said simply, going to the stairs.  

She turned and smiled wickedly at the group, counting heads silently before chuckling.  

"I see that the monsters here already got several of this group...I wonder if any of you will make it out alive?"

Blinking a little from the swift change in lighting Sherlock smiled a little at the spectacle. "Oh well that was actually quite good, well executed." He turned to Cherry and gave her a reassuring nuzzle, he hated to admit it but she was cute. Following the new guide up the stairs he chuckled quietly at her words. He didn't scare easy, well at least when it came to theatrics, but he wasn't about to be rude and start pointing things out. That would be unfair to the group and the effort put into the attraction; so for everyone's sake, especially Cherry's, he kept his attention on her trying to make her feel safe. "Its alright Cherry I'll protect you from any more monsters." He struck a silly heroic pose trying to take her mind off things for a little bit.

Cherry saw Sherlock's pose and giggled a bit, nudging him along.  "Just so we're clear...no monsters'll get me as long as I stay beside you....so...that means...I'm gonna have to...hold...your...tail!" She smiled, gently grabbing the bottom of Sherlock's tail in her teeth.  As long as she didn't scream again, she should be fine.

"Now...We will be arriving soon to the studio where mister Poeny did his work.  Look closely at the paintings on the walls...they'll be your only clue how to escape should something happen to me." The guide pony said, noticing Cherry holding on to Sherlock.  She smiled and nodded their way.  "Those two have a good idea...take the tail of the pony you trust most.  If you get separated...I can't help you, I'm afraid." She said, glad that the couple had done what she was planning on instructing.

Sherlock chuckled at Cherry as she took hold of his tail. "Just don't try and rip it out if you get scared love." He looked at each of the paintings taking note of them. The guide said that clues were left, "Lets see how obvious they're being with these clues." He looked them over intently and noticed several things immediately, but dept them to himself. Normally he would have told Cherry, but on top of being his fillyfriend she was also learning to be a detective, so he wanted to see if she could catch them as well.

Cherry looked over the paintings intently, spying several off things about them.  She smiled inwardly, hoping that she could point them out to Sherlock later.  One painting in particular bothered her, it's eyes seeming to move if the painting wasn't being watched.  She figured that the exit lay behind that painting and that somepony was watching the group in an attempt to scare them more.  "I know there's something there...whatever it is, I won't be scared...I have to face these foalish fears sooner or later!" she thought, waiting for whatever came next.

Another scream would echo down the hallway followed by a spooky laugh. Somepony was actually scared into fainting on the spot! After the pony was picked up and carried off by a group of 'zombie ponies' the filly was taken to the secret back room so she could rest for a bit, a small gift bag of candy and a note wishing a happy Nightmare Night along with the way leading to one of the various exits of the haunted house. Sure they wanted to scare everypony but it was also supposed to be fun and....mostly safe.

In the hallway the painting that seemed to follow the ponies movements was actually doing so! Going so far as to wink at one of the ponies passing by before the painting fell off of the wall and slid onto the floor, revealing solid wall behind it. Out of the wall came a ghost pony, along with another...and another...before suddenly various ponies of shapes and sizes were flying through the air, wailing and moaning, dipping down towards ponies and going right through them, a few girlish squeals coming from a few faint of hearts. The ghost ponies left a strange tingling sensation when they passed through but were otherwise quite harmless.

Sherlock watched the ponies behind him faint and get carried off, he had to stop himself from laughing. Instead coming out as a snerk; He wasn't trying to laugh at the poor ponies, he just found this kind of thing amusing. One of the benefits... or drawbacks... to his type of thought process was the ability to break down a situation for what it was. See through the smoke and mirrors and find the truth; it came in very handy in the field but in times like this he wasn't able to experience the scariness of the haunted house. "Impressive acoustics these ponies really know their illusion tricks." He turned to Cherry standing firm, but still shaking a little. Trying to comfort her he wrapped his neck around her's and smiled, reassuring her that she was safe with him.

Cherry took some comfort from Sherlock's reassurance, still holding on to his tail.  The ghosts had her jarred visibly, but she would troop on.

The guide pony heard Sherlock's comment and chuckled, turning to him. "You think this is a trick, then?  Well now...what did the portraits tell you as you studied them, Mister Hooves?" She asked, turning to smile wickedly at Cherry.  She could tell the filly was frightened and she was pleased to see her standing firm.  Scared as she was, that little filly had a cartfull of courage.

Sherlock smirked at the guide a little, not wanting to ruin the fun for everypony else. "Oh I couldn't.... what fun would there be for everypony else if I just give away the secret. My apologies for interrupting please continue." He smiled some more trying to not accidentally insult the guide or anypony else that worked on the house. He truly thought it was very well done, he could just see through most of it.

The guide smiled, watching as everypony gathered into the center before trotting to each of the portraits and knocking on them with her hoof.  The last portrait slid up into the wall, along with the wall section, to reveal the passage.

Cherry was proud of Sherlock, glad that he had kept quiet about the secret.  She had been wrong about the large portrait, the smile flickering as she realized that there were worse things than illusory ghosts beyond that wall.