[The Hay Hop]The Only Way to Travel! [OPEN][Currently in: Transit]

Douglas looked at the festival map provided for him. He was giving it one last once over before strapping into the wagon. He had walked the route on his own earlier in the day, but now that night has fallen and stalls are all lit up and grounds are becoming crowded it was best just to give it one last glance to make sure everything was alright. Looking over the map, the first stop for them would be the general Festival grounds where ponies would be able to take part in of both the dances going on there as well as the games. After there we was take them the Corn Maze followed by the Haunted House. After that was the Scarecrow Corner and the Pumpkin Patch before wrapping back around to the Hay Hop Stop.

Putting the map away, Douglas approached one of the organizers and introduced himself. The Stallion was fast to show him where the Hay hop wagon was. Coming to a shed, the doors slowly slid open. A pair of wagons inside, one being pulled out by two ponies while the other sat unused. Douglas looked at the passing wagon. It's sides were decorated with brightly colored streamers running all down the side, with paper cut out pumpkins nailed into the side for effect. Each pumpkin had it's own silly face on it to appeal to the crowd. On the back of the wagon was a sign acting as a tail gate with "HAY HOP!" on it. Surely it was all gussied up and ready to move.

"Alright, Mr. Trotter. If you're ready, let's get you and your partner harnessed into the second wagon and you can begin making your rounds!" Said the organizer, much to Douglas' agreement. After being harnessed into the wagon Douglas and the other pony began to pull the wagon out of the shed, bringing it to a halt before the organizer. "Wonderful! Please, I won't hold you up no more." Said the Stallion with glee, before going over the little bells and whistles of the wagon. "That bell right there is for you to ring at each stop, make sure to announce the next destination as well. The water is for drinking, we'll refill it once you return to the Hay Hop stop and give you a five minute rest. Good luck, have fun, and Thank you for taking the time out to do this for us!"

With the pleasantries through the two ponies began to pull the brightly decorated wagon. Making sure they kept in step to keep from tiring out the other before they reached their first stop, the Festival Grounds. Douglas tilted his head back to grab the bell, giving it a good ring before putting it back in place. "All Aboard! Next Stop, The Corn Maze!" Douglas bellowed, announcing their next stop. He slowly watched with a happy smile as ponies piled into the wagon, both parents with foals, and single ponies all the same. Looking at his pulling partner, Douglas gave a quick nod ready to move out.

((Let's see just how well this works. If anyone wants to be the other puller you can, but I'm fine leaving it vague. Who wants a Hay ride? :3 ))

Film Reel was practically the first pony to dive into the hay, fedora left at home for this little shindig, her camera was mounted on its holster though, there would be some good pictures to take tonight, and where better to take those pictures than on the Hay Hop? She decided to dress up as a magician, a 'white mage' as she heard some other pony say. She was dressed in a white robe, a white dress saddle on her back holding the outfit together. the jump in the hay made her somewhat messy and she lost her magician hat for a moment, quickly retrieving the item however, giving it a brisk shake before flipping it back onto her head with a large grin. As ponies began to get on board for a trip to the Corn Maze she hopped up and put her camera on display.

"Alright ponies! Everypony that wants to get a picture taken please line up. Single pictures cost one bit and group photos cost a bit for everypony present. Foals get to have their picture taken for free." She explained, a few ponies lining themselves up to get their photos taken. Tonight was going to be pretty fun!

It was already midnight, and Apis was getting quite drowsy, even just on his walk through the hustle and bustle of the crowd. After all, he always had a very rigid and well-kept sleep schedule, which meant he got massively drowsy whenever he overstepped it, especially this late. Taking another sip of coffee, which he held very cleverly in a harness around his neck, almost akin to a collar, Apis again moved lazily through the crowd, in a very conforming fashion. If these ponies loved to party as much as Itailian ponies did, then Apis knew better than to bump into someone, especially this late at night and with the smell of cider heavy in the air. Finding a clearing finally, he shook himself awake fully, with a vigorous throw to his neck, and looked around. "I'd best see for myself what in all this festival has to offer. If there's an eating contest, then I might have some fun as well!" Thusly, Apis trotted over to the carts filled with ponies of all types. Surely, after all, he would be able to see everything the festival had to offer from inside a bus carriage like that. As he got to the edge of the bustle, he waited along the side for the cart to pass. Perhaps it was his caffeine buzz or the actual meandering speed of the cart, but it seemed to take forever to pass over to the other side. Once the cart's end was fully visible to him, Apis trotted over, tailing the cart until he found the right moment to hop onto the step and into the cart. Surely this wasn't supposed to be allowed, but he was tired and certainly in no mood to stop for anypony. Climbing onto the cart, he curled up on one of the haystacks near Film Reel, and began to doze off. "Uh.. No, no, need to... stay... awaaaayke..." Apis yawned as he tried to go for the coffee cup again, but found that is was just empty enough for the liquid to be out of his reach. "This is what I get for not bringing a straw..." he thought to himself before he slowly dozed off, eventually going into a serous slumber, snoring loudly enough to break anypony's concentration. This is why nobody ever invites Apis to late parties. Not even his friends.

Douglas and the other puller slowly leaned forward, the wagon soon beginning to move as they set off around the Festival Grounds. A quick look back caused him to notice that a photographer had climbed aboard. He had to admit, he could feel a little giddy at the spectacle. Her costume was bright and elaborate, although he didn't have much clue of what she was. Craning his head back a bit he addressed the photographer. "Good Evening, so you're a photographer? I hope you can get some nice shots of the fair grounds. Might I pry as to what you're dressed as?" Douglas asked, quickly turning his head forward again. Making sure the coast was clear he turned his head back to catch the Photographer's reply, should she give one.

"Uh-oh, here comes the fun part, everypony hold on!" he called back, giving a quick nod to the puller next to him. Breaking from the course they picked up their pace into a steady canter, leading the wagon around in a big figure eight on open fair grounds as the fillies and colts oohed and awed as the wagon shifted it's weight, causing little giggles to erupt before slowing back down and getting back on the route. They started to pass by the stalls of the Festival grounds. Games, snacks, shows and so much more could be seen from the wagon, all colorfully decorated and glowing in the light of the lamps hanging above.

"We got a little ways to go before we reach the Corn maze, everypony. Get'ch yer filla of the scenery now....it's gonna get spooky soon!" Douglas spoke eerily, trying to give the little ones a fright. Sure enough, just as he said The wagon trotted onward as they moved through the fair grounds. The stalls and stands slowly started to die down as they moved about. The area began to become silent, the joys and hollers of the Festival Grounds soon faded out. Crickets chirped, Owls in the distance hooted, and the sudden snap of nearby twigs all wanted to bring one shriek after another from the little foals mouths.

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

As the hay wagon passed through the festival grounds, a light chartreuse mare struggled to weave a path through the crowd, and it wasn't until the wagon had moved on from the scene that she finally managed to extricate herself from the traffic jam. She broke into a gallop to close the still short distance between her and the wagon. Pulling up alongside, she tried to gesture with her head for some of the other passengers to make an opening. With one last bound, she planted herself firmly on the back of the wagon.

Phew! That was a close one, I need to be more careful in choosing my costume next year. Something that isn't so difficult to run in is definitely in order.

Once she'd gotten her balance sorted out again on the creaking and bobbling hay ride, she trotted up to the front of the wagon and leaned over the edge towards the driver.

"Hey! Ummm... I mean, Howdy pardner! Ah reckon there's two kinds a hay rides round these parts, those that get waylaid by spooks and those that don't. What say I... um... keep an eye out for ya fer a spell?"

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

As the hay wagon passed through the festival grounds, a light chartreuse mare struggled to weave a path through the crowd, and it wasn't until the wagon had moved on from the scene that she finally managed to extricate herself from the traffic jam. She broke into a gallop to close the still short distance between her and the wagon. Pulling up alongside, she tried to gesture with her head for some of the other passengers to make an opening. With one last bound, she planted herself firmly on the back of the wagon.

Phew! That was a close one, I need to be more careful in choosing my costume next year. Something that isn't so difficult to run in is definitely in order.

Once she'd gotten her balance sorted out again on the creaking and bobbling hay ride, she trotted up to the front of the wagon and leaned over the edge towards the driver.

"Hey! Ummm... I mean, Howdy pardner! Ah reckon there's two kinds a hay rides round these parts, those that get waylaid by spooks and those that don't. What say I... um... keep an eye out for ya fer a spell?"

As the hayride once again pulled, Apis was woken with a loud *thud*, as the cart hit a large rock. Everyone was jarred a bit by the sudden bump, but Apis was thrown off the haystack he was laying on entirely, causing him to hit the boarded floor, belly first.

He was a little bit shaken, still kind of waking up after being rudely interrupted for a nap. It was enough to recuperate though, and as he looked around, he could see that many of the ponies and colts were rather irritated with his snoring. He gave a small pat at the floor-- a means of apologizing-- and scooched up the cart until Apis got to the lady watching out front. He would have at least appreciated a wake-up call less violent. Leaning against the front picket, he inquired towards the younger pony rather irritably, "Excuse me, ma'am, but I was just woken up rather untimely by a large rock in the road..." Apis nudged her foreleg with a hoof begrudgingly, "If you are up front looking out, why are you not announcing these things? You are keeping watch, are you not?"

This was another reason nobody invited Apis to late-night parties.

The Sudden thud caused an unsettling feeling between the two pullers, fearing they might had ran someone over until a youthful mare leaned over the front of the wagon and addressed Douglas. Her voice, soft and familiar, but her speaking seemed off. The phrase itself brought a smile to his mouth, it was something a performance pony would say. Looking back to better see who it was, Douglas could feel his jaw drop when he saw her. "M-miss Mint? Uh-I mean, Ginger?! You made it. You...look amazing." Douglas blabbered, looking over the western get-up. It surprisingly made her facial features stand out stunningly. He quickly turned his head forward and took a sip of the water bottle clipped between the pullers. He had to calm himself down.

Finishing with one last sip, he straightened up and tried to hide his sudden elation. Gathering his cool again, he turned back to face Ginger with a big smile. "You sure can make an entrance, though you could'a just waited fer us to stop." Just then another pony stirred in the wagon, he had apparently been napping and thought Ginger's entrance was them running over a rock. He seemed rather tired from Douglas' perspective. "Yah hear that, lookout? We mite have to trade ya in when we return to the station. Keep them eyes sharp!" Douglas teased with a wink and a wry smile at Ginger. "You brought that one on yourself, Miss Mint." He thought with a chuckle, looking forward again.

Soon enough only a line of lamps hanging off to the side guided them as they walked along a small road until the Corn Maze came into few. Standing outside it's entrance were a few ponies, taunting and daring one another to enter as the Hay Hop came into view, it's elaborately bright decorations getting a few odd stares as it slowed to a stop. Douglas gripped the nearby bell in his muzzle and gave it a gentle ring. "Corn Maze! Next Stop, The Haunted House! All Aboard!" He greatly bellowed again, allowing those who wanted on or off to do so. Douglas felt excited, they were already on their second stop of the night. Why shoot, they could probably pass the earlier wagon if they kept their pace!

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Ginger Mint felt herself blushing at Douglas' complement. "T-thank ya kindly!" She wasn't quite sure what else to say to that, so she just enjoyed the cool night air and the faint noises of critters in the distance while she waited for Douglas to finish his drink of water. His comment about her grand entrance brought her back to reality and put a smile on her face.

"Now hold on just a, um... cottin' pickin' minute there, y'all were already movin out of tha festival grounds when I caught sight of ya. If I'd gone and wai-ah!"

She was interrupted by the particularly large bump in the road, and while it wasn't nearly enough to throw off her balance, it did come as a bit of a surprise. Not as big of a surprise as having another one of the passengers scoot over to her and voice his disapproval.

Does he not realize that this is just a costume? Maybe I really outdid myself this year after all! Oh, or maybe he's just talking in character too. I wonder what he's supposed to be dressed up as... judging from the accent, perhaps he's going as a snooty socialite.

Douglas spoke up to add his two bits, and the playful tone in his voice made Ginger Mint laugh. It was a genuine laugh too, the kind you might expect from foals at play.

"Oh, um... Beg yer pardon, di'nt mean ta cause a fuss. Won't happen again. In fact, I think I see something right now..." She lowered her voice to a conspiratorial tone, "Ah can't rightly say what it is though, its... aww shoot, ah lost it. Where do you suppose it went off to?" She waited until Apis' attention was distracted, then with a mischevious grin, she pulled a few particularly long straws out of a nearby hay bale and brushed the tips along the back of his neck,"Its right behind yoooou!"

Film heard somepony trying to talk to her but she had pictures to take! Paying customers were not to be ignored. Her camera flashed quietly as she took photos, one for the family and another for the Nightmare Night poster. She had a particularly good set up for a shot when the cart hit....something...who knew what it was! The cart jumped, unsettling various ponies while Film Reel skittered about so she wouldn't fall over. That's what she got for standing on her hind legs while trying to take a photo. Once her balance was regained and a hasty apology given to the ponies she was taking pictures of, Film resumed her photo shoot.

After she had gotten to all the ponies that wanted their picture taken, she turned to converse with the cart puller, only to find him currently busy chatting with somepony else. She shrugged her shoulders, shifting around to get her hooves squarely beneath her so she wouldn't trip over her robe before trotting over to a comfortable spot on the ride and taking a seat. The next batch of ponies riding might want their pictures taken too!

"Err, I, umm-- no, wait--!" Apis continually tripped over the words he was trying to find. Finally waking up for sure, Apis forced his neck back and took a hearty swig of the coffee in his holster. A nice, bitter blend; just the way he liked it. With the caffeine boost, Apis shook his head vigorously, and, regaining his composure, tried to correct his rude behavior, "No, ma'am, please forgive me. I am... not used to being up at night. It isn't you, or anything you're doing, no I'm sure you can go along just fine. This is my first Nightmare Night here in Equestria... In fact, this is my first anything here in Equestria! I am a new arrival, from a land quite a ways from here, you see. My name is Senyor Apis." Apis patted his hoof on the ground twice as a symbol of recognition and, with a fairly content look on his face, offered his hoof for a shake. "Saluto."

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Being at a loss for words was rarely a problem for Ginger Mint, usually she'd find something to say, even if it made her look like a foal. Finding the right thing to say, now there's a challenge, especially when a healthy dose of confusion is thrown into the mix. So when the honey colored stallion stumbled out an apology that seemed entirely at odds with not only his initial grousing, but with any kind of response she'd imagined a pony making in response to a playful jest. Even though she decided to play his response at face value, she knew there was no way she could hide the confusion on her face and in her voice.

"Um... Howdy Senior, its a pleasure. Tha name's Ginger Mint." She extended her hoof and gave a quick, vigorous shake. "Don't sweat the small stuff, sugarcube. I reckon feelin' out of place on Nightmare Night ain't nothin' ta ...uh... shake a fiddle at. As a matter a fact, ah can't think of anypony who'd feel at ease with all these spooks and haunts runnin' about."

Ginger Mint frowned. Here was a pony who didn't look like he was having fun at all, and what's more, she didn't know what to do about it. For all she knew, he was totally lost.

"Hmmm...oh! Say pardner, what brings you round these here parts anyhow? Ah might not amount to a whole heap a help, but I can tell ya, as long as ya don't wander outta town, ya shouldn't have ta worry about any real monsters or anythin' like that."

The wagon slowly started to move, the pullers giving a mild strain as they began to move the wagon onward. After a few steps the momentum allowed them to ease up and just keep the wagon moving with a steady pace. Letting out a sigh, Douglas looked back to noticed Ginger was talking with the pony who had been woken up by the 'rock they ran over' and gave a little smile of his own to the pony. He waited until Ginger spoke before taking his turn. "So, Mr. Apis, I hope you're enjoying your first Nightmare night. It must be a little overwhelming for everyone to be out n' about at such an hour, but it passes soon enough and all goes back tah normal. I'm Douglas Trotter by the way, I'm sure you'll fit in just fine 'round here." he spoke, letting silence fall as he waited on Mr. Apis' reply.

Just then the other puller called his attention again, it was time for another little maneuver to keep the young ones from getting bored. And so, with their eyes set on some nice open land the two ponies took up their speed and made a few hard turns, pulling the wagon for a quick shift from side to side as fillies and colts clung to their parents. A few giggles came from the younger riders, but it wasn't near as many from the first time. They'd need a little something extra for the next stop. With the little shakes over they got back on the main route and proceeded for the Haunted House.

Able to let his pulling partner direct their heading, Douglas looked back towards Ginger and Mr. Apis, catching her question about what had brought him to Equestria. Douglas had to hold back a chuckle as she tried to keep a western accent for her costume. It fit finely, he just wasn't used to hearing her speak that way. Stifling himself long enough to wait for Mr. Apis' answer he decided he'd ask the traveler something as well. "So, I hope ya don't mind me prying, but where didc'ha come from? I ask 'cause I'm a fan of traveling and while I haven't left Equestria I have seen some it's bordahs." Douglas said, letting himself smile as he waited for Mr. Apis' answer.

Apis took their questions with a bit of surprise. After all, nopony had showed that much curiosity right off the bat. Tapping his hoof to his chin, he carefully devised a way to sum up all of his experiences, until he did finally have a nice little story. Reviving memories of his past home, Apis said, with some noticeable feeling, "I come from a land say... north, perhaps northeast of here. Itaily is it's name, and though it is little-known to the people of Equestria, the two nations have been political allies since before Celestia and Luna's rule! I am the official ambassador between the two nations, on a peace mission. You see, as of recently, the rulers of your nation and mine have been... at odds. Disagreements have risen over even trivial and unimportant topics, and everything between the two has simply become a mess. I had an audience with your princesses, but, and this is only my assumption, due to my close relations with Itaily's Emperor, my initial deal was rather blatantly rejected. So, here I am. I'm attempting to better familiarize myself with your customs and such..."

Come to think of it, Apis wasn't all that educated into the custom that they were celebrating right there and then. This drove him to ask, "On that note, what exactly is the idea behind this 'Nightmare Night'?" He mentally braced himself for what he expected might be looks of incredulity.

• 2 weeks later...

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Ginger Mint cocked her head to the side as she pondered Apis' tale. It was a tall one by any stretch of the imagination, not that her geography was rusty, but the thought that a foreign diplomat might be sitting on a hay ride of all places. Even if it might have been a clever ruse, Ginger Mint figured it wouldn't hurt to play along anyway. Besides, if he was telling the truth, she wouldn't want to miss a chance to make a good impression for Equestria's sake.

"Well, er... that is to say. Aww shucks, I reckon its been quite a spell since I talked ta a foreign dignitary. I can't say much bout tha Princess, but ah can tell ya she ain't no slouch. If she ain't cotton on ta whatever deal ya got, then ya sure got a heap a work cut out for ya.

Nightmare night on tha other hoof ain't no big secret. Its mostly just ta have some fun. Ah reckon folks in Itaily enjoy a good ghost story every now'n again. Nightmare night's the same kinda deal, jus bigger, thats all. I reckon it had somethin ta do with Celestia's lil sis way back when, but that's ancient history near as I can tell."

She worried a bit that her play accent would go over his head, but she figured that if he was a diplomat, he'd probably be used to all sorts of different dialects. She was about to check to see if he'd understood when she saw the sign for the haunted house up ahead.

"Oh! I reckon this here's my stop. Pleasure ta meetcha Apis, tha name's Ginger Mint. Y'all take care now, ya hear?"

And with that, she jumped from the still moving wagon, and with a tip of her hat, cantered up the hill towards the spooky old house itself.