Discord's Everfree Adventure

SunsetSombra

Discord's Everfree Adventure

Be sure to keep to the path dimly lit by the luminary bags. If you stay in the light, none of the forest creatures will harm you. On the night when you should most fear the Everfree Forest, a spell will keep you safe—so long as you keep to the path ahead!

The forest is starting to look ever increasingly intimidating in the pale luminescence of Luna's perfectly controlled moon...a dusky glow falling upon everything around you, giving an almost ethereal feel to the massively overbearing surroundings, the rustling of the leaves and bushes starting to become more regular, and the howls of unseen creatures are beginning to be more frequent than perhaps they would have been only a short time ago.

Still, you go ever onwards...the promised candy must be ahead somewhere, and even the dull echoes of laughter in the wind will not deter the group treading through the woods off of the beaten track. However, the uncertainty of the gloomy shadows ahead are still very much alive and well within everypony, and whispers of soft fear are becoming more common. The potential for danger or reward lies closer to you now than the return journey home does...

Determined to reach the promised prize, you all press onward with hope ever present, in your heart!

"This! Is! So! Not! Chill!" Willow Whisper wheezed as she slowed from a gallop to a hoof dragging walk. The winded unicorn looked nervous, but her grinning crocodile mask kept up its toothy smile, immune to the fright she'd just had from Discord. She was a lazy pony, and not use to much exercise. She had thought that maybe tonight wouldn't be so bad, but one after another the scares kept on coming. Tonight alone she'd been scolded by a Shadowbolt, frightened by Nightmare Moon, and deeply disturbed by Discord. Now at least she had a few moments of peace, however brief they might be.

The mare stayed well to the center of the path, and tried to let the earthy scent of the smell calm her despite the eerie giggling and whispering of voices. Phantom sounds and movement just beyond the glow of the lamps kept her motivated, and moving. She was nervous, but it was fun in a sort of thrilling way. Her life was normally so relaxed, and not many exciting things ever happened to her. Sure, she'd felt several times tonight like her heart would stop, but she'd met some new ponies. She also got to see two of the most famous creatures in Equestria. "And lived to tell the tale..." She murmured in a spooky voice to herself, and chuckled feebly. All she had to do was stay positive, and she'd probably survive this. Probably.

Spirit continued through the forest, still shaking from the encounter with Discord, but slowly recovering. Her spectral "costume" (magic which has given her translucent skin, glowing mane, blank white eyes, while she is enveloped in a non-burning white flame) was still active, making her look creepier than most of the evils hiding in the dark forest.

As she continued forward, Spirit saw yet again the unicorn pony from before. Once more she approached her. She decided she should try and ask her something. It seemed only right after they had encounter each other so many times.

"Hi again... um... Willow Whisper," she said in a quiet voice, struggling at first to remember the name the other had given. "Do you know what happened back there? It was very odd..."

'Ahh a peaceful forest, thank Celestia, this night has been eventful enough for me all I need to do is take a nice long walk' Orange thought as he started down the track through the Everfree forest, being from Stalliongrad he was not familiar with the tales of monsters and dangers that lurk within the forest. So far Orange's night has been very eventful even after many scares and near mental breakdowns Orange was a bit edgy but not too shaken from the experiences thus far. "I can't believe I thought crazed poniacs would want to turn me into a banana, sometimes I think the hard work is starting to get to me" Orange muttered under his breath, "this walk will do me good".

As soon as Orange walked past the threshold from Ponyville to the Everfree forest a noticeable change in temperature and lighting could be felt here it seemed more sinister compared to a few steps back. "Oh great, not again" Orange muttered turning around to see only an impenetrable wall of darkness, "why me? What have I done recently to anger the Celestial sisters". Orange turned back around and started a slow trot forward, he started to sing to himself an old Stalliongrad song, Orange not being the greatest song but the song did the trick and as he sung it with pride, memories flooding from his foalhood and as the sung progressed his couraged rose and so did his volume. Soon the whole Everfree forest echoed from the sound of his singing. Orange continued on his way singing loudly.

After her romp in Pinkie's haunted house, Apple Bloom was in the mood for more chills, and she knew just where to get it. She was still a bit smug about her success in finding the secret bonus room in the haunted house, as well as how she handled Pinkie's attempts to scare her. She was so proud of herself that she surreptitiously took a peek at her flank under her ghostly costume in hopes that she maybe got a "not a scaredy cat in a haunted house" cutie mark for the ordeal. Nothing.

Trotting in the direction she usually took towards her friend Zecora's house, she found the path lit with tiny firefly-powered luminaries. Sinister shadows swayed over the path. In the distance, branches rustling in the wind gave the illusion of the clacking bones. A cool wind whistled through the trees, causing fog to slowly roll across the forest floor. The Everfree Forest had never looked so spooky!

The little filly trembled. She could hear the spectral sounds of somepony...someTHING singing off in the distance, the accent in the song seeming like a foreign language to her uncultured ears. "This is silly, Apple Bloom. You've been in these woods plenty before! There ain't nothing really to be scared of!", she chided herself. Still, that Discord fellow was rumored to have been let out for this occasion, and she still had vivid memories of how unpredictable and insane he could be. She sure didn't want to run into him tonight!

Wow, what a night! He actually met Princess Luna, even tricked by her too! Although, he should have expected her to be at Nightmare Moon's monument. Still that was two tricks and three pieces of candy in one night and it was still far from over! Douglas was feeling pretty upbeat as he moved into the Everfree forest, wanting to explore the Discord's Everfree Adventure. The path he stuck to gave off a sickly green glow to the air around him. The luminary bags even gave his Detective overcoat a rather unreal glow to it. Again, it felt like the trees along the path were trying to reach out for him, for the path, to cover any and all signs of life.

Stopping for a second to adjust his tie and take out his gentlecolt's pipe, Douglas noticed the path darkened behind him, which only fueled his thoughts of the forest trying to take back the route. After closing up his coat, Douglas put the pipe into his mouth and gently blew a few bubbles from it as he started his trot further down the path. "No use going back now, it's obvious they don't want me too." He mused, letting his eyes focus further down the path for any other ponies.

Douglas could not wait to see who he was going to meet next in this night, surely there was no event more entertaining that Nightmare Night and Ponyville seemed to take the tradition a step above the rest! Just then, a faint echo was heard, nearly incomprehensible, but always constant as if something up ahead continually making some sort of noise. Douglas knew he'd have to get closer to find out just what it could be and decided to pick up his pace.

gallery_299_36_40135.png

Diamond was so totally lost. In her rush to get away from her embarassment at the Nightmare Moon statue, she'd rushed into another part of the dread forest. Luckily, the laterns had guided her back to the path, but now she had no idea which way she was supposed to be going. A quick check made sure that her black witch's hat was on straight and that her black silk cloak was mostly clean. Then one last check... making sure the tears that had fallen from her eyes after her fright were all wiped away. She couldn't be seen like that. Not tonight. She'd never live it down.

The forest was eerily quiet, but as she walked, she spotted other ponies wandering in the distance. Smiling a little, but making an effort to not look too pleased, she made haste towards them. She trotted up beside another young filly, one wearing some kind of glow-in-the-dark ghost costume. "Hey! Um, so, like..." she started, trying to think of a reason why she'd want to hang around with some other foal she didn't know, because it wasn't that she was scared or anything, no way, that would be crazy! "...how much candy have you got?"

The creatures of the Everfree forest really spooked Lilia. She walked as quietly and cautiously as she could, trying not to disturb anypony or anything that happened to inhabit that forest. She squeaked and dashed toward a bush when she heard a strange noise, her bravado gone. The Everfree Forest was really scary for a filly like her!

"Oh, hey." Willow Whisper looked up at the familiar voice of the ghostly pony, Spirit Flame, glad to see her despite her terrifyingly ghostly costume. A familiar face, even one she had just met tonight, would make the trail a little more friendly. At the question however, she laughed and shrugged her shoulders. "Uh, Discord happened, I think. It was hard to keep track but my costume still smells like chocolate milk, and I think at some point there was a banana peel attacking my hoof..." The unicorn trailed off, looking confused as she tried to remember the sheer chaos of the Draconequis' appearance just moments before. "Kinda hurts my head thinking about it..."

"He seemed more real than the last one." She added after a moment of thought. "If it was an illusion, it was a pretty convincing one, though."

Somehow, while walking through Pinkie's haunted house, Beat managed to find herself in the middle of the Everfree Forest. "Oh, this is soooooo scary!" as she chuckled to herself. "It's actually really pretty out here" as she admired the surroundings. She cantered on for approximately 10 minutes before she saw some more ponies. She smiled and said "Hey, Is anyone there" as to be polite.

Apple Bloom rolled her expressive eyes. Of all the ponies to run into in the lines to these spooky events, one of them HAD to be her old tormentor, Diamond Tiara. Clearly the stuck up young filly didn't recognize Apple Bloom, or nasty comments about "blank flanks" would have been thrown in her direction. Instead the obviously frightened young pony seemed to be trying to make small talk with her, asking her about her candy haul.

She decided to get a little revenge on her classmate, and in her best attempt to disguise her voice and accent, replied "Well, I only got one piece of candy so far, on account o' that Pinkie Pie scaring us. But speakin' of scared.... ain't you scared to run into Discord? I would be if I were you. I hear he's looking for a little pink pony to be his new pet. Something about pink doing wonders for his eyes." She lowered her voice to a growl. "And if his new pet doesn't behave the way he expects...she'll be turned into STEW!" Apple Bloom resumed her cheerful tone of voice. "Of course, that's just silly. Everypony knows that Princess Celestia's watching Discord VERY closely tonight. There's NO WAY that he could filly nap you... Or is there?"

Apple Bloom grinned meanly at Diamond Tiara. Together they meandered down the illuminated paths. Every once in awhile the insane cackle deep in the woods would appear to get closer to them, and the trees would seem to be reaching out to grab them. Way too amused to let any of this scare her, Apple Bloom just kept glancing over to her classmate for any response to the seed of terror she had just planted.

Spirit just nodded quietly to Willow. "The forest is odd tonight," she said, tilting her head. "It's not usually like this..."

She looked around. "But it's a relief that was only an illusion. It was... terrifying..." Spirit added. "I hope nothing so frightening appears again..."

Somehow, while walking through Pinkie's haunted house, Beat managed to find herself in the middle of the Everfree Forest. "Oh, this is soooooo scary!" as she chuckled to herself. "It's actually really pretty out here" as she admired the surroundings. She cantered on for approximately 10 minutes before she saw some more ponies. She smiled and said "Hey, Is anyone there" as to be polite.

Douglas had continued further down the path, it was seeming to go on for almost ever! Did it ever actually end? Douglas couldn't be sure, but he could see a glow growing from behind him. It seemed odd when suddenly he heard somepony call out to him. He turned to see a pony coming up the trail behind him. "Why, hello! How's your Nightmare Night been? Any nice scares or good hauls?" Douglas asked, slowing his pace for the other pony to catch up.

"I had some nice frights by the some pink pony at Sugarcube Corner. Got me good with some zomponies. Then I got scared by Princess Luna at the Nightmare Moon statue. It's only got me three pieces of candy though." He shared his experiences, as he waited for the pony to come up beside him. "It sure seems like this path goes on forever, I can hardly tell if it turns or not. Sure makes the night look nice though. Real creepy." Douglas slowly blew a few more bubbles with his pipe before putting it back in his coat.

"With my luck tonight, something terrible is gonna happen to us in the next hour." Willow Whisper smiled ruefully, and was inwardly sure the words were prophecy now that she had spoken them. She was about to say something else when a massive shape brushed by the path, dimly illuminated by the magic lamps. Glowing yellow eyes, thick tawny fur, and glimmering crimson wings and tail. The manticore paused for the briefest of moments in the light just off the path, as though considering the gathering of ponies, and with a low growl and flash of teeth vanished back into the shadowy forest.

"Uhh..." The unicorn mare stared blankly at the spot where it had been. "Was that an illusion or was that real?"

Up ahead amongst the darkness in the trees, you can hear a soft giggling - the group follows it, trying to catch up with the source of the sound but it keeps eluding you all...it's like the voice is goading you on, trying to get you to follow it. It's always seemingly just down the next path, or hidden in the nearest bush...until eventually all goes quiet. It almost feels like you're going around in circles, but there's no way to tell!

suddenly a familiar muzzle sticks into your peripheral vision, speaking out loud without warning. " Looking for something? "

princess_celestia_by_zutheskunk-d3hdo0g.png

Immediately, you and the rest of the group drop into a bow...

Yes, the princess herself had been having a little playful fun with everypony for a moment, but she graciously awards you all a piece of candy and her well wishes before resuming heading on her way to the next destination for the night, humming a small gentle song as she trots away regally.

You'll no doubt all remember this moment fondly for the rest of your lives!

Spirit was shocked to see the white alicorn appear before them all. She didn't bow at first. It was only until everypony else did that she decided to follow suit.

She had seen this pony in some of her caretaker's books before. She was Princess Celestia, right? She was really pretty. Seeing her made Spirit smile for some reason, especially when the princess gave them all a piece of candy

"That was nice," Spirit said, softly before deciding to continue further into the forest.

Orange stood there dumbstruck, scared out of his mind still but now one piece of candy richer. 'Well at least I have candy, even though I lost most of my dignity, oh well lets just hope I can somehow regain it by the end of tonight or I will forever be known as the banana fearing, slightly eccentric colt who tries to hide in bushes. I may as well head into town seeing I cant escape weirdness no matter where I go'

With that Orange displayed his respect to the princess by bowing and then started to turn back to the direction of town trying to come up with an idea of how to redeem himself.

gallery_299_36_40135.png

Diamond Tiara's face went pale at the ghostly filly's rumours of Discord. Her eyes went wide with terror, though she did her best to try and hide it under her big witch's hat. "N-no, I'm not scared. The Princess wouldn't let that happen anyway." she said, perhaps a little too hastily. The pari walked on in silence for a while, the only sounds being the spooky ones coming from the forest itself. Diamond was still scared, but at the same time she wondered who this filly was. Something about her seemed familiar... but from where?

When Princess Celestia popped out of nowhere Diamond nearly jumped out of her skin! After a few deep breaths to try and slow her heart, she joined the others in a bow and thanked her lucky stars that it was only the Princess and not some crazy Dracoequuis foalnapper.

Graciously accepting her candy, Diamond Tiara turned and fled at high speed.

Apple Bloom was so focused on terrorizing her nemesis, Diamond Tiara, that she did not notice that the laughter had....changed somewhat. It was softer, lighter, and somehow somewhat creepier, albeit more melodic. And it was getting closer! Suddenly Princess Celestia jumped out of the undergrowth in front of them. The little yellow filly almost fell over from the shock. She'd heard from her big sister that the Princess of the Sun was quite down to earth, and did have a great sense of humor, but she never expected her to be pranking her subjects!

Remembering her manners, Apple Bloom bowed to the princess and thanked her for the lovely sun-shaped candy.

As Diamond Tiara high-tailed it out of there, Apple Bloom congratulated herself on a well-done act of revenge, rather relieved that the snobby pink filly didn't recognize her. And then immediately felt a tiny bit guilty. Diamond Tiara might be a bit of a pain, but maybe she took her meanness TOO far...