Discord's Everfree Adventure

SunsetSombra

Discord's Everfree Adventure

Be sure to keep to the path dimly lit by the luminary bags. If you stay in the light, none of the forest creatures will harm you. On the night when you should most fear the Everfree Forest, a spell will keep you safe—so long as you keep to the path ahead!

The forest is starting to look ever increasingly intimidating in the pale luminescence of Luna's perfectly controlled moon...a dusky glow falling upon everything around you, giving an almost ethereal feel to the massively overbearing surroundings, the rustling of the leaves and bushes starting to become more regular, and the howls of unseen creatures are beginning to be more frequent than perhaps they would have been only a short time ago.

Still, you go ever onwards...the promised candy must be ahead somewhere, and even the dull echoes of laughter in the wind will not deter the group treading through the woods off of the beaten track. However, the uncertainty of the gloomy shadows ahead are still very much alive and well within everypony, and whispers of soft fear are becoming more common. The potential for danger or reward lies closer to you now than the return journey home does...

Determined to reach the promised prize, you all press onward with hope ever present, in your heart!

Smiling brightly from the encounter with the bright and beautiful white alicorn and the candy she had gifted her, Spirit continued through the forest she had once called her home, her otherworldly costume (magic has been cast on her to make her skin translucent, her mane glow and her entire body appear to be covered in white flames) still burning brightly all around her. Curious as to what strange things might appear next, and feeling some duty as a former inhabitant of the forest to make sure no harm falls upon the visitors, Spirit traversed the woods, keeping her eyes on the lit path.

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Ginger Mint wasn't watching where she was going as she wandered aimlessly about. Every few steps, she gave her poncho a little shake, trying to dry it down from her last little scare. The extra air was working and it was almost dry, but focused as she was, she'd been relying on the luminary bags along the side of the road guide her hoofsteps. When she finally did look up, she realized that she had no idea where she'd wandered off to.

Well, I... huh... this is odd. Ok, I'm in the middle of the Everfree Forest apparently. No worries, someone must have come out here to place the luminaries, so it must be safe. Right. Thats gotta be it. I'll just keep on going then, what's the worst that could happen?

The foalishness of asking such a question was entirely lost on Ginger Mint. She had been through all sorts of frights already, but the Everfree Forest was held an almost magical curiosity to it. Sure there were all sorts of strange noises, distant and unfamiliar bird calls, the slow but steady chirp of frogs and crickets, but none of them felt particularly threatening. Not to mention the way all the different plants seemed to glow in the lustrous moonlight.

Well, this doesn't seem so bad. Maybe I'll even see one of those strange tea plants everypony has been raving about lately. All that talk about braving the woods to find one... It couldn't be that simple could it?

Fate might have let one of them slip by, but two ill fated questions begged an answer, which came in the form of a distant howl. After all the different frights she'd been through already, she was determined not to get scared this time, but she did cross hunting for tea leaves off of her to-do list.

Wolves might be dangerous, but they're usually pretty reasonable. That is, if you know how to communicate with them, which I don't. Although, usually none of the ill-tempered ones hang around in Equestria. They usually hide out in other parts of the world... like the Everfree Forest...

Ginger Mint sighed. Of course she wasn't going to catch a break tonight.

Maybe if I just hurry up, I'll end up back in town before anything happens. Whichever way that is.

A faint flickering light caught her attention as she trotted around a pair of winding turns in the path. Up ahead she could see a ghostly lit entirely in magical fire. In any other circumstance she might have been impressed by the feat, but tonight she only wondered if that pony wasn't in fact a ghost.

Do ghosts eat ponies? I don't think so. I don't think they exist at all, of course they don't! She tried to reassure herself, But what if its a spirit? Those exist! What if I end up getting possessed and forced to eat until I burst!?

Running away screaming was the last thing on her mind right now. She'd had her fill of that tonight, but truth be told her list of things to do wasn't very long at all right then, and running away screaming was somewhere around number four. She could feel her legs tense, ready to bolt at a moments notice, but first she wanted to go try and talk to the strange looking pony... spirit... thing.

Creeping up as quietly as she could, she managed to get within talking distance without catching the ghostly pony's attention. It hadn't noticed her with any supernatural pony detecting sense, so that was a plus, and she wasn't feeling any spooky vibes emanating from its spectral form either.

What to do, what to do? Ok, just say hello! Easiest thing in the world right? Nopony would be offended by a friendly hello.

However, before she had a chance to speak, she heard a dull echoing laugh carried on the wind and her mouth clamped shut with a tiny little "eep!" Which, of course, was neither "hello," or particularly silent.

"M-maybe I spoke too soon?"

After meeting with her sister the Spa pony had made her way to the Everfree. Her costume that of a fanciful blue jester. A few jingling bells on her hat only added to the costume. Though a cape marked with a black club and spade hinted at something a bit more malicious. Fresh white and blue face paint only served to make her look more devious.

She had been trying to pick up her pace through the forest without breaking into a run. Half on half off the path trying to stay out of the light. Something unworldly was following her, she was sure of it. She took another glance over her shoulder. It was still back there. The ghostly unicorn covered in flames. It was the second most terrifying thing she had seen that night and it just kept following her.

She tried to speed up a little but kept getting slowed down by low branches and thick roots of trees. She turned back now there were two... wait. No the other thing wasn't a ghost. Wasn't that Sheriff pony she had seen in the Haunted House? Was she actually trying to sneak up on the spirit? She stopped and tensed up further.

A gust of wind shook the trees causing a nearby one to tug on her costume. She openly shrieked and took off down the forest path.

Spirit turned her head slowly when she heard a high squeal come from nearby. She found a pony dressed in some sort of western costume standing there, looking scared. She smiled weakly at the mare.

"Oh, hello there," she said in a soft voice, tilting her head as she stared at the pony.

Shortly after that, Spirit heard a loud shriek and then another pony ran down the path. Spirit didn't know why these ponies around here were scared. The black alicorn and the draconequus images had long since vanished and Spirit could detect nothing else harmful in the area.

Not really knowing any other option available to her, Stormsong once again entered the Everfree Forest, searching for her missing scarf. She wrapped her black cloak tightly around herself and moved on, slowly, scanning the ground all along the path for the missing possession. "I really hope somepony didn't just pick it up and walk off with it," she said to nopony in particular during her search.

After what seemed an eternity, Stormsong finally spotted a mass of blue and purple, her scarf, just at the edge of the light, off the path. Uncertain of what to do, and confused as to how her scarf had ended up that far from anywhere she had been running, she simply stood and stared out into the night for a few minutes before remembering something very important. She was a unicorn! Reaching out with her magic, she grabbed hold of her scarf and pulled it back on to the path.

All was going well, she thought, until she tried to put the scarf back on. Several snakes that had gotten curious about the garment fell out on the ground at her hooves. She shrieked for the third or fourth time that night, threw the scarf as hard as she could down the path, and ran as hard as she had last time she came though the forest. Pausing only a brief moment to pick up her scarf again and stuff it inside her cloak, Stormsong continued her mad charge until she was once more out of breath, gasping for air.

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Ginger Mint's eyes might have been playing tricks on her all night long, but one thing she was certain of was the look in this strange ghostly pony's eyes. It wasn't a look of malice at all.

"Um... Howdy there pardner, and I gotta say thats a right fancy costume ya got there. I hope ya don't mind if I step along side ya for a spell. There's some awful strange things happenin' tonight and I admit I'm a bit lost."

A nearby shriek caught Ginger Mints attention and in the dim light she could faintly see the shape of a pony running through the woods. Another terrified scream drifted along the wind from somewhere a little bit further away. They sounded like they had come from two different ponies, though she couldn't be sure. The strange pony didn't seem afraid at all though, she just gazed around with a placid look on her face. All the more strange because she didn't flinch at all when another dull gravelly laugh echoed all around them, but at least it definitely wasn't coming from her.

"Say, ya don't suppose there might be some sorta angry monster round these here parts do ya? Maybe we should pick up tha pace and see if that jester is alright. I think I remember seein' her back in town a while ago.

Paradise growled somewhat as she galloped through the forest. That darn pink mare and her pranks! Sure she'd gotten a piece of candy from her but that pony ended up scarin it right out of her bag! She'd lost sight of Brazil from the earlier scare and was currently trying to find him again, who knew what kind of stuff happened on Nightmare Night? As she searched she also kept a eye out for that pink pony, she didn't wanna get tricked again..it would be the third time this night!

"Come on ya pink colored prankster! Ah know yer out there!" She yelled into the woods, stamping her hooves and glaring about for any more pranks, she wanted her candy and she was gonna darn well get it!

"Sure, I don't mind at all," Spirit said in response to the pony's inquiry. The pony then asked Spirit about monsters in the area.

"Oh yes," said Spirit in a steady, unfazed voice. "This forest is filled with countless threatening monsters, especially at this hour."

Spirit wasn't sure what the pony meant by the "jester", but she decided to walk along side the pony for a while.

Brazil was actually deep in the everfree, taking care to not get caught offguard by anything - after the events of the last couple of hours, he'd somehow managed to wind up following a group of ponies into the forest. Wherever his plucky pegasus daughter had disappeared to, however, he had no idea...this had been a fairly lousy night for the treats so far but at least the pair of them were sharing a decent family night...

" Well, at least the atmosphere's relevent... " muttered the earth pony for a moment. " Dark with an underlying theme of unseen chaos. "

And it just so happened that this is the moment where a familiar voice is heard! - "Come on ya pink colored prankster! Ah know yer out there!"

" That's Paradise! " His ears perk up at the sound, immediately galloping off in the direction where she would be found...relieved to hear that she was close by.

Sure, he knew she could look after herself, but this was meant to have been a family night - he curses himself for having not looked for her sooner ...he'd just have to owe her a decent treat or something later when they were going for eats, right now he just wanted to catch up with her...and besides, from the sound of it she was just as annoyed at the pink party pony as he was right now, and a problem shared was always a problem halved!

"I forgot how much walking Nightmare Night involved..." Willow Whisper sighed as she plodded along the forest path. Her spirits had been redeemed through the benevolent appearance of Princess Celestia, and the candy that was tucked into a pocket in her crocodile costume. After running into both Nightmare Moon, and Discord on the same night, the Princess herself had been a welcome sight. The dull green unicorn walked a little taller and surer, tossing her head to flick her dreadlocks out of her eyes. Her hooves were getting a bit sore though, but despite her aches the exercise was surely doing her some good.

"How long do you think this path goes on for?" She asked Spirit Flame as she once again caught sight of the ghostly pony. The mare turned to look over the other pony with the green mane she was speaking to. "Hey, you having a nice night?"

new_luna_vector_by_petalfluff-d4dfa4a.png

Princess Luna races toward you from behind, looking quite frightened. Somepony jumped out of the trees and scared her! That wasn't very nice. Everypony helps to calm the Princess down. Then, they all work together to find their way out of the forest. Princess Luna is quite grateful, and admits that her candy bag has gotten a bit heavy. She gives everypony two pieces of candy as thanks!

The blue costumed spa pony continued bolting down the path. She spotted a path marked with a return arrow off to the side of the road. It was much more dimly lit but she didn't care at this point. She continued running not becoming any less frightened at this point. When it came to fears being devoured by shadows was probably at the top.

In the dark she spotted a point where the path seemed to reconnect at the entrance to the forest. She put on another boost of speed eager to finally get out. She could glimpse what looked like a taller pony with a starry mane. However with her eyes off the path she tripped on a low root and came sprawling out behind the princess. It was a particularly nasty fall and her left fore-hoof slammed into pocket of pranking materials concealed under her costume triggering a 'BANG' pellet and a smoke bomb. The pellet went off with a noise like lightning leaving the twins ears ringing as the smoke bomb insider her costume caused black smoke to come flowing out the gaps in her costume around her neck and hooves. She looked more like a cloud of smoke wearing a costume than a pony. There was a loud scream coming from somepony but the spa pony couldn't see a thing.

A coughing fit or two later and the smoke finally started clearing. The Princess was nowhere to be seen having bolted up the path but it looked like she had dropped two candies in an attempt to appease this 'monster'. She made a note to stop by the monument later and leave a more generous offering.

Stormsong couldn't believe her luck; earlier in the night she had met Princess Celestia, and now she had met Princess Luna. Not only that, but Luna had seemed almost as frightened of the Everfree Forest as she was. Walking with the princess through the rest of the forest, Stormsong had actually managed to enjoy the rest of the trip. Not only that, but she was given two pieces of candy! Spirits soaring, and scarf back around her neck, she decided to once again visit the Monument to Nightmare Moon.

hi hi

gallery_82_11_16960.png

Ginger Mint was a little frustrated by the mare that was walking next to her. While it didn't feel like she was being lied to exactly, she felt like something important was being purposefully left out, and in some cases that was almost just as bad.

"Well, uh... I hope y'all are just messin' with me, or yer having a fun play on words at that. Threatening is one thing, but dangerous is a whole different can o beans. Ah mean, surely y'all wouldn't want anypony ta get hurt would ya? ...Pranks are all in good fun up till somepony gets hurt."

It was an awkward thing to say, but the pony seemed so blasé about everything that Ginger Mint wasn't sure if she should have been even more blunt or not.

When Princess Luna came running up from behind, it was an act of mercy, giving Ginger Mint an excuse to think and worry about something something different. She didn't think anything could have frightened the Princess of the Night quite like that, but she was thrilled by the chance to be able to help. Even if she suspected that it was all a clever illusion in the first place, she decided to play along anyway.

After all its all in good fun right? I know Nightmare Moon isn't around anymore, but I've seen her show up tonight, so I'm guessing its all a bunch of tricks and magic.