Eye Color: light blue

Cutie Mark: Scroll and quill

Physique: slender, of average height

Origin: Manehatten

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Motivation: Wants to use his special talent to make it big in the world of art

Likes: order, lists, schedules, the arts, fashion, classical music

Dislikes: Disarray, laziness, aimlessness, failure

Character Summary: Seemingly stern and a bit hazy, Quills is at his happiest when under stress. When not under pressure he shows a very different side of himself, taking his time to take in the perfect order of a piece of art or a good book, or even a new musical composition.

Background Story: Quills was born as the only foal of a family of printers. His grandfather had bought one of the early movable type printing presses and had opened the first print shop in Manehatten. It was a smashing success, and his parents had inherited the business. They worked hard, but the competition grew from year to year.

Quills lived a very sheltered foalhood in his parents house in Manehatten. From an early age, he showed a weird sense of order and tidiness. His parents grow worried that something was wrong with him, as he didn't make friends easily at all. It got better eventually, as he opened up to the other colts and fillies and became less critical of the minor disorder around him.

It was about that time that Quills showed increased interest in art. He had scribbled ever since his childhood, but nothing had ever come from it. Now, he started to spend a lot of his free time looking at art prints his parents had lying around as reference material for potential costumers. His parents were puzzled by that, since most of the printed pictures looked chaotic and blotchy, sometimes splats of paint put seemingly at random on the canvas. But to Quills, it looked different. As he tried to explain to them once, he sees a hidden order in them. Each splat of color and every brush line followed rules and created a bigger whole. His parents were hard working and honest, but they never had much appreciation for the arts.

When was still a foal, business began to get tougher and tougher. There were many printing shops nowadays, some with better equipment and more staff, but their shop was still a well known name all around the town. So it came one day that they got a huge order by the local university library to make printed versions of several old manuscripts that had been restored recently, but were to delicate to be handed out to just anyone. Mr. Quillsworth, his father, knew instantly that it was near impossible for them to fill the order in time, but he took it anyway. He had to if he wanted to stay in business. Days later, the shop filled up with mount and mounts of papers, most of them bundled, some loose piles. His parents began work immediately, making good progress. They were sure if they got to a certain point, they would be able to ask for an extension of the deadline.

However, disaster struck. In the midst of work, by accident, someone toppled one of the stacks of papers, and in a chain reaction, soon all of the ground was covered in loose sheets. It was already late that day, and Mr Quillworth would have to face the fact that he would have to explain tomorrow morning to the university that he had just thrown back the research by several years.

At night, Quills snuck out of his room, and down into the shop. He didn't quite know why, but his horn had led him here. It was faintly glowing now, and Quills was very tired. He would later have no recollection of what had happened down here.

When his parents came down into the shop, something wondrous had happened. All the papers were stacked up again, even more neatly then before. Not only that, but as they looked along the walls, the empty printing frames on the walls were filled with letters now. Quills had used all the movable types in the shop, and had then collapsed in the middle of the room, sleeping. Around him lay hoofwritten pieces of paper, most of them looked like scribbles, but on a closer look, you could see they were lists in small letters. To their surprise, Quills's cutie mark had appeared, a scroll of paper and a quill.

Not only was this an amazing moment for Quills, but it also meant he could help his parents fill the order quick enough to meet the deadline. With his new-found talent, the printing shop sprawled once again, and Quills refined his magic further and further.

However something was nagging him. He didn't want to do this for all his life. He wanted to get out into the world, and follow his true passion, the arts. For years now, he had spend all his free time and his allowance cultivating himself. He had visited the opera, the theater, different art galleries and readings. He had also picked up painting, but although his mother was very supportive of it, he knew himself that his paintings weren't anything special. After years of reading up on art history, seeing all the great pony artists of his time, being a regular guest at the opera house, and soaking up every piece of art theory he could get his hooves on, he still wasn't able to do it. Not here, in the boundaries of his parents business. Something had to be done. He'd have to leave, and try to make his own out there in the world.

His father was not pleased by the thought, since he was such an asset for the shop, but he knew he couldn't hold him back. Quills had trained some of the newer staff members, and they caught on the his magic rather quickly. They would be fine.

Quills packed his few belongings, and the bits he had saved over the year, and set out, to make his fortune.

FBW13TOC9CFy.jpg

meh picture, but it gives an impression where I want to go with him visually.

Updated, background is final now.

I'll add pictures later.

Bullet point sounds a bit hard for the concept, I think.

Yeah, I just suggested it cos I saw he was an organized pony. I really didn't think it through. Keep me off the internet when it's late :V

Hay there, just thought I would mosey on by and lend a helping hoof. First things first, the character seems very well thought out and well written. All the elements are there and may need only a little tweaking. I do have to say that 'Miles does not sound like a very pony like name, I do like Quillsworth however, maybe you could just shorten it to that? Also, I see that he loves the arts, but his special talent is organization. This is perfectly fine and acceptable, however you might want to tie in how his talent for organization helps him succeed in the art world. I see a hint at that topic in the beginning of the application but it gets overshadowed a wee bit. Maybe expound on that aspect of him a bit more, it would make him a more dynamic character and most likely more fun for you to play! Other than that this is a wonderful application and I hope to see it finished soon!

~Sage AkA Freddie Freewings

First of all, thanks for the input. :)

About the name, yeah, I was mostly looking if I could get away with it, since it's not his calling name (much like Diane doesn't really sound like a pony name), but if it's what keeps the application from going through, I can drop it.

About the arts thing. I see what you mean, but I don't really want to expand on it much more, because it's something he still has to figure out for himself (and I have specific plans for that, too). Nonetheless, I did expand the second to last paragraph a bit.