hi hi

When I was growing up, my sister was a very picky eater. We'd go to a mexican restaurant and she'd pick off all the things she didn't want until there was nothing but beans and cheese left, then she'd complain that it didn't taste very good. I think an episode where Rainbow Dash, or anypony really, has to learn about the responsibility that goes along with owning a pet would be really cool, but that just wasn't what this episode was about.

Rainbow Dash might have been harsh, and I can understand why that would be off-putting, but there are people out there that really enjoy the rigors of competition. Running a marathon isn't a particularly pleasant experience, but people still line up by the hundreds to compete in them. But for some people, the point of a competition isn't to get ahead of everyone else, rather its about reaching a better understanding and mastery of one's self.

Maybe its just me, but there are movies that I really like that I've watched over and over again, even though I know how they end.

Just added the episode's song onto my iPod, and quite content, xD

Regarding the episode's lesson....well, I must say I see both points as valid. However, Rainbow Dash did indeed meet Tank halfway. After all, as previously stated, RD in the song made the point quite clear that she wanted a "cool" pet. Last I checked, Tank wasn't exactly "cool". Rainbow Dash became conflicted near the end of choosing the "cool pet" or the pet that had the most heart and determination to being her pet. Choosing Tank over the hawk showed that RD was willing to sacrifice a cool, show-off pet to have the pet that shows most dedication her. Not only that, but the hawk DEFINED her character. If she had chosen the hawk, it would've shown her show-off attitude and desire for cool appearance. However, she indeed chose Tank. Sure, the helicopter cap may seem as a cop-out, but as long as Tank was able to be the same tortoise, it solves the episode and still resounds with a nice lesson.

Frankly, it can be viewed in numerous ways. I view the episode's lesson to matter and be clear, while being a nice one in general. Take it whatever way you want, but I enjoyed the episode and am looking forward to next week's episode.

And remember people...this IS a cartoon. No matter how big of a Brony, now matter how much you love this show, over-analysis can really ruin it. Just sit-back, relax, and enjoy our favorite ponies. That's something I'm sure we can agree on whole-heartedly, hmm?

While Tank did prove his worth to Rainbow through his loyalty, the fact that he's extremely slow and flightless make him an extremely difficult pet for Dash to care for. When Dash said she needed a pet that can keep up with her she literally means pet that can match her speed. If she ever wants play with Tank or just travel around Ponyville with him she'd have to slow down to his pace, which would be counter-productive for Rainbow, or tire herself trying to carry him from place to place.

And then there are the issues with living together. Although they never bring this up in the episode, Rainbow dash lives in home made of clouds so unless her pet has wing they wouldn't even be able to live together. (In my head canon I assume that Twilight used a more permanent version of the cloud walking spell on Tank so they could live together.)

While giving Tank flight may have been a cop(ter)-out it was necessary so that Tank wouldn't too much of a burden for Dash. She's pony that was born to fly and spends more time in the air than on her hooves, having a pet that takes the sky from her is like Owlicious being too noisy for Twilight to study or Opal constantly clawing Rarity's dresses. A pet that would prevent you from doing what you love is not worth keeping no matter how loyal they are.

• Like 1

How did Dashie meet the turtle halfway? As I see it, she sacrificed very little, while the tortoise, inexplicably smitten with somepony who couldn't be bothered to care about him, just gave, and gave, and gave. What was Dash's sacrifice? In the end, she just got everything she wanted anyway: a cool pet that could fly.

This turned into an episode about not judging a book by its cover -- a boring and cliche message, IMO.

Or maybe it's a lesson of teaching RD and us that even if we think we know what wee want, we really don't. Sometimes we think we know what we want, but instead we are blinded by the things we think we are the best and fail to see the beauty of things that seem less significant to us before we realize it. Rainbow, IMO, was blinded from the very beginning. Having decided she wanted a pet, she wanted to make sure it was the best of her friends, probably. And in the end, she learned it was more about the connection she had with the pet that was more important that how the pet performance with or against the other pets.

If I could complain about anything in this episode, it would be that Fluttershy should have been a little more objective when Rainbow was going through her application process. If she had suggested to Rainbow what a good pet looks like, then it may have grown the tension further when she finally learned that tank was more loyal than the other pets.

In terms of the RD-tortoise combo, I rather like the idea of the pets being a polar opposite of the characters that own them. It gives a nice tension between them. Angel and Fluttershy have totally different personalities. Opal and Rarity share a little territorial side, but Rarity is much more understanding. Owlicious doesn't really count cuz he came late and Spike already counteracts Twilight. Pinkie and Gummy are an exception, but they are both crazy. Applejack and Winona could be an exception, but AJ is best pony, so I can let that slide. My OC Granola has a pet venus flytrap named Precious who is always mean to other people but is nice to Granola. And Granola is convinced that Precious would never hurt a fly (pun). Having a pet that counteracts with the personality of the owner is genius in my opinion. Rainbow Dash is athletic and likes to go fast? Give her a turtle. *trollface*

• Like 1

I see a lot of people arguing that Rainbow Dash still learnt a lesson because she chose a pet that wasn’t cool but I disagree. For one thing, I don’t think that a tortoise is any less cool than a butterfly. Certainly, you wouldn’t see a Hell’s Angel taking a butterfly as a pet for its cool factor.

But, in a world where butterflies are cool, the audience can only infer what is and is not cool by the way the characters see them. Obviously Rainbow Dash initially sees Tank as uncool but she is the only one in the show that thinks this way and her attitude changes by the end of the episode. With no one left to judge Tank as “uncool” we can the tortoise who could not fly but suddenly can, is also a tortoise that was not cool but suddenly is.

The only way I see the uncool argument working in the context of the episode would be if there was a character who continued to see Tank as uncool, even when Rainbow Dash accepted him (maybe Dash could have even stood up for Tank so that their relationship would be more give and take rather than take, take, take). You could argue that there will be characters who continue to see Tank as uncool but they just weren’t in the episode but I say if the conflict is not contained within the episode then neither is the lesson.

Therefore, I don’t think that Rainbow Dash learnt a lesson (or at least not a good lesson). It's just a story about a selfish pony getting what she whants. But, I guess you could still say that the lesson was "don't judge a book by it's cover". Well, if that were the case, then they didn't do a very good job of it. Just look what happens when you apply that lesson (to the same degree) to real world: "Hey kids just because you don't like strawberry cake doesn't mean you shouldn't eat that cake just because it looks like a strawberry cake and everyone tells you it's a strawberry cake because it might just magically taste like a chocolate cake even though it obviously isn't one. You can't just assume that a strawberry cake tastes like a strawberry cake just like you can't assume that a flightless animal can't fly."

Watched it! As usual, I loved it... Always entertaining... Though I was expecting Rainbow to choose the tortoise (Spelled?) in the end...

Edited by IRockZ28

You know, I've been thinking about this a lot and I'm just curious as to if anypony agrees with me;

Dash's pet does not suite her at all. Now I know that was the point of the episode is that we are supposed to accept faults and stuff, but seriously, a turtle?

Every other pet compliments their owner. Twilight has an owl, an owl is considered knowledgeable and smart. Applejack has a dog, every farmhand has their family pet dog. Pinkie has an alligator, she's Pinkie though, she has an odd and random pet because she herself is odd and random. Rarity has a cat, when you think of 'fancy' and 'pet', you more then likely think of a white fluffy Persian cat. Fluttershy has a bunny, bunnies are considered cute and adorable, but also quiet, just like Fluttershy.

I dunno though, it may just be me. It's just been bothering me a bit.

A pet that fit her better would actually mean something.

She DID get a pet, but I am almost certain it will never ever appear again, just because it looks, well, bad. A Falcon would of matched Dash, as she would be out and about flying with it. I mean, that Tortoise can't even stay in the house with Dash as Tortoises can not fly naturally, thus cannot walk on clouds. Sooo, I'm curious as to what will happen.

In all likelihood, we'll probably see very little of the Mane 6's pets for the rest of the season. Think about it. This is the FIRST ep this year that Wynona, Owliwicsus and Gummy were in. We saw Angel previously in "Return to Harmony" and Opal in "Sisterhooves Social" only (I think). The pets don't exactly get a lot of airtime on the show, so we won't be seeing much of Tank either.

I didn't say no conflict; what I want to avoid is turning the FiM universe into our world of huge standing armies, mechanized warfare, and world of constant conflict; may as well make them humans at that point.

true enough, personally i wouldn't want that at all. the way i see it is the way we use and associate tanks could be completely different then what they could to use as it. IE they could say tanks are used for transportation of valuables like jewels and such, but either way its all fanon and speculation.

hi hi

This wasn't about "not judging a book by its cover," nor was it about "ignoring faults." It was explicitly stated that it was about how some qualities are more important than others. In this case, Loyalty, which is a big thing for Rainbow Dash.

The other four competitors left her behind. Thats kind of a big thing too. It made Rainbow Dash realize that its what she had been doing the whole time, so she decided not to leave Mr. Tortoise behind because of it.