Quantum Flux

Neoniie

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria RP (Mane RP)

Name: Quantum Flux, though she generally goes by Flux

Sex: Female

Species: Unicorn

Eye Color: Bright green, though she occasionally wears goggles during her experiments

Coat Color: White

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: She generally lets her mane and tail fly free, except when she is experimenting to avoid the obvious dangers of volatile chemicals . The edges are a bit raggedy from her insistence to cut it herself and both her mane and tail are red.

Physique: Average

Cutie Mark: Three Erlenmeyer Flasks inside a diagram of an atom.

It's story proper goes a little like this:

Quantum Flux had to think of it quickly. She had one night left before the project was due and she still had no idea what to write. Slamming down her pen angrily, she paced back and forth. She was supposed to be writing about “a topic that interests” her. The only problem was that she had no idea what she was interested in!

Being one of the few blank flanks remaining, Flux was still attempting to find her talents. Her relatively weak magic gave her some interest in magic's inner workings, but Flux knew she could never finish it in one night.

When all seemed lost, a spark of inspiration came to Flux. That's it! Now if I can just find some of those glass things that my dad had lying around... With renewed vigour, Flux dashed around her house, gathering all of her necessary materials. As she poured some liquids into a strangely shaped glass, Flux went over the steps in her head.

Magic without magic! Genius! Changing the colours of liquids using this chemical should be unique enough. Now, pour the lemon juice into the chemical and stir slightly... Flux worked through the night, not stopping until her essay had been completed. Grabbing some extra supplies for her live performance, Flux dashed out the door and arrived just in time for the beginning of classes.

Unfortunately, Flux had grabbed a rather volatile chemical rather than the one she had meant to use. The result was a minor explosion that managed to turn the blackboard even blacker and the singeing of Flux's mane.

However, when the dust and soot cleared, Flux saw that her very own cutie mark had appeared. This sign of her talent, combined with the energy that her experiment had filled her with, set Flux's hooves on her current path.

Origin/Residence: Originally hails from Fillydelphia, moved to Canterlot.

Occupation: She works as Torvus' aide. Torvus is an elderly Earth Pony who works with gears and lives in the abandoned clock tower near the outskirts of Canterlot. In return for her assistance, he allows her to stay in the basement of the clock tower and lets her do as many experiments as she wants.

Motivation: She wants to learn as much as she can about the universe. At the moment, she is trying to find some correlation between Unicorn magic and pony biology, basically trying to see why and how magic develops and is used.

Dislikes: Loud noise, interruptions, mornings

Character Summary: Born in Fillydelphia, Flux moved to Canterlot early in her foalhood, long before any concrete memory set in. Therefore, her mannerism have been completely shaped by Canterlot society. Her mother is an earth pony astronomer named Comet Flare. Her father is a doctor in Canterlot named Dr. Scalpel "Flux".

Flux is definitely not quiet or shy, but is in fact very vocal of her opinions and will defend them to the bitter end. She is a very serious worker and can go completely silent or disappear for days when she's trying to figure something out.

Flux is almost a complete opposite of her bubbly, very expressive friend from Cloudsdale who she finds annoying at times, but their friendship remains quite an important part of her life. She is much more reserved and tends to be subtle in expressing her feelings.

She isn't a big fan of her boss, Torvus, but he allows her to be as crazy as she wants with experiments as long as she helps him out. For that, she is grateful and leaves complaining to a minimum.

The only thing that really gets Flux excited is a new breakthrough in her experiments or theories. However, being around her friends has rubbed off on her and she can get excited about “normal” things such as a party or competition at times.

Flux has the strengths of being a good debater and rather good organization, other than during her experiments. She's also good working things out quickly and logically.

However, her magic is not very powerful, but it is functional (ie. Gamma Class Unicorn as per the U.M.A.T. ). She can be quite uncaring and brutally honest when she's in a bad mood. She finds it hard to admit that she was wrong and is stubborn on her opinions.

Additional Information: Flux has a pet ferret named Tesla who lives with her in the clock tower’s basement floor. Tesla has a brown body with black bands around his belly and across his eyes. He tends to go out during the day by himself, unless Flux requests his assistance with an experiment.

Also, a note about the advanced-ness of her science. I know that Ponyville is only steam based technology and whatnot, so I thought I would be best to clear this up. Flux partakes in the generally timeless ideals of "mad science" type technology. It's that archetypal "flask and bubbly concoctions" type of science.

SCIENCE.png

This amazing picture comes from the equally amazing crp_dude!

I do have one bit of concern, you say she keeps her mane and tail long yet she works with things that can sort of explode and catch her hair on fire, wouldn't it be smart to suggest that while she is experimenting she has it up?

I really like the name of the Ferret, that's really cute , I like the idea of a mad scientist pony XD

Ah! I hadn't thought of that! It's an excellent idea and I shall definately add it in.

Why thank you, I've been looking for an excuse to use all my weird scientist-name knowledge. Even though Tesla doesn't exist in MLP, I thought it would be fun. It was either that or Einstein.

I like the sound of this app - there's a lot of overall thought behind it, and the potential is clear...so I was just wondering if it was possible to perhaps elaborate on the cutie mark story a little, since it's a tad vague. I'm fairly sure it's not an immediate dealbreaker, but the way it's worded now is a tad vague, and I'm sure that there's a really good creative idea behind why she is who she is, and how she came to understand her calling via that one experiment.

Don't fret about it greatly for the immediate time being, but I figure that it helps put a little icing on this cake of an application...sometimes it makes a difference! :D

My only concerns in reading this application was the name and cutie mark, as the application itself is solid. Looking up quantum though (from the word "quantus", Latin for "how much"), it was fairly well known as a word back in the 19th century, so it isn't "too modern" for the FiM word, based on that, I feel it is fine to use, even if its a little unusual for ponies (it is still used as a word that associates with her specialty, so it is good). The other concern was the cutie mark (it isn't too busy, although simple is preferred) as it is based on the Bohr model of the atom (that didn't come around until the early 20th century), but as it isn't truly an atom, it feel it can pass as well; just something to think on for future apps.

The only other things I wish to mention is twilight's "computer"; really that was more a gag item for that particular scene and shouldn't be used as a standard for Equestrian tech. Instead the scientists of Equestria have to use the old pen and paper method of recording observations and calculating their numbers. Such as the burden of the scientist in a world of magic. ;)

For Great Justice! :D

AppAssessed.png