Verity Essence

RarityDash

I know I don't really need another one, but its hard to stop the character ideas from flowing...

I currently have three pegasi, three earth ponies and three unicorns (and Gilda, of course). Rather than spoil that harmony, I decided to go for something different entirely, a zebra. This is the result. :P

Name: Verity Essence

Sex: female

Species: zebra

Coat Color: dark navy and tan stripes

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: tan and navy in color, like her body. Unlike most zebras, she keeps her mane long, but with a somewhat unkempt and spiked out look to it. Tail is similarly styled.

Eye Color: dark blue

Cutie Mark: A cloud of black smoke.

Physique: Fit and sleek.

Origin: Stalliongrad

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Motivation: seek out and find all the information she can; do her job

Dislikes: old fashioned thinking, ignorance, secrets/not knowing things.

Character Summary: Her curiosities piqued by the tales of Equestria from an explorer visiting her tribe in Unyasi, a young but talented zebra mystic named Insara found permission to leave her tribe and venture forth to see the foreign land for herself. Zaki, her promised mate, though reluctant, accompanied her on the journey to protect her. After exploring Equestria for years, seeing everything the land had to offer, Insara came to love the new land and eventually made the difficult decision that she would not be returning to the tribe. The two zebras settled in a place built in a welcoming spirit, but with a climate so completely opposite from what they knew, Stalliongrad.

Insara found success as a fortune teller, making use of her mystic training and foreign allure, while Zaki applied his strength as a laborer at the burgeoning Northern Storm Industries machinery factory. As they became more acclimated to their new home, they had their first child. Though the foal was a full blood zebra, it was decided that they would give her a name fitting a pony so she could ease into the predominantly pony society around them without event. Both parents valuing truth and honesty, decided on the name Verity Essence.

From her youth, it seemed a blessing Verity had been given a pony name. There was very little of Unyasi in the foal. The stories of the old homeland didn't resonate with her; she was far more interested in the modern city of Stalliongrad all around her then she was with the savannah she had never laid eyes upon. Verity rolled her eyes at the mysticism of her mother's job; she was far more interested in the machines her father helped produce at the factory, and made a hobby of learning more about them.

More than anything though, Verity Essence was concerned with knowing things. Verity loved snooping around, eavesdropping, acquiring the gossip that none of her friends knew and using it to her advantage. She was good at it too, naturally possessing all the keen senses, quick reflexes and very strong instincts that had kept her tribal forbears alive on the often dangerous wilds of the Unyasi savannah for generations. With all that going for her, plus some genuine ingenuity and intelligence, rarely did the young filly get caught in the act. Her confidence and skill at it only grew with time.

One day, Verity found one of her closest friends at school in tears and discovered she was being picked on by a cruel bully. Angered, Verity decided to find all the dirt she could on the bully so she could humiliate her before the whole school. However, after a few days of investigation she discovered that the bully had a desperate family situation and was being pressured by her parents to rob others for them. Faced with a situation much worse than she ever would have guessed, Verity found herself at a dilemma. Ultimately, rather than continuing as planned and humiliating the bully, after several days of uncertainty, Verity decided to leave an anonymous tip explaining the situation to the authorities, resulting in the eventual arrest of the bully's parents. Having learned just how powerful information could be and just how adept she could be at obtaining it, a black cloud of smoke appeared on her flank, symbolizing her ability to blend in with the dark and shadow others.

Her mark being a genuine cutie mark rather than a tribal mark was no surprise to Verity's parents, but her choice of pursuits was. They saw it as dishonest, contrary to what they had in name when they picked Verity's name. Verity was simply more interested in uncovering truths than being always truthful herself. As she grew to be a mare, Verity decided on her choice of career. She was going to put her talents to use as an agent of the Royal Equestrian Intelligence Network. Though her parents hardly understood, they quickly realized there was no fighting their child's decision.

After several years of training at the REIN academy, the young zebra broke through as a first rate spy for the REIN. Using her well honed tracking and information gathering abilities, the combat skills she received from her training, her knowledge of machinery, and assorted tools like coat paint to hide her stripes if needed, Verity began traveling Equestria on any number of information gathering assignments. Sometimes Verity will even employ the use of magic powders made by her mother and gifted to her (She has no knowledge of how to make the powders on her own), but she hates relying on the stuff unless absolutely necessary.

Verity is somewhat direct and aggressive, but is also deeply compassionate, sometimes to a fault in her trade. She can seem a little moody at times, and definitely has a low tolerance for nonsense. Though a touch sarcastic, Verity is generally an optimist, especially when it comes to her own abilities. She is perhaps too confident in her skills and often will push things just a bit closer to the edge than most would be comfortable with in order to complete her mission. It becomes outright recklessness when she feels she's been challenged.

Though she gained some respect for her parents' zebra lore in time, she still has no real attachment to Unyasi and definitely considers Equestria her only home. She's very much into the modern, at the expense of the old. Though a bit smug and conceited, Verity has a strong moral compass and an utmost loyalty to the ones she considers friends.

Nice pic courtesy of BlindJester:

med_gallery_312_14_75480.png

At first when I read this I thought "Dark Navy and tan? Those are no zebra colors!" Then I realized that this is a world with pink, orange, blue, and lavender ponies, so, why not navy blue and tan zebras! :lol: Although personally I would go with a more desaturated color than true navy blue as ponies tend to be pastel and desaturated somewhat in their color schemes (mainly because its more pleasing to the eyes that deeply saturated colors). If you want to toy with the color scheme some, here is a cool interactive color wheel to use. However I certainly am not going to let my personal preference in color saturation hold this excellent app back.

For Great Justice! :D

AppAssessed.png

Thanks. And yeah, I'll probably pick a different blue; not really sure; don't know too much about colors. I knew I just wanted something dark, so I said navy. Wanted one dark color and one light so she was zebra like. :)

Thanks for assessing her. Glad you liked the app. :D