{Solstice Heights } A Guest For a Meal Perhaps?

QuickLime

The weather was almost perfect that slightly nippy fall day, with the sun shining bright above the small cottage at the very edge of the woods, bringing warmth and life to the ground below. Clover was up early as he always was, tending to the house before going out to tend to his clover beds, First things first he swept the boards of the floor till they were clean, polished the windows, and made sure everything in the little cottage was spic and span!

Putting on a bright copper teakettle on for boiling later since he would have plants to brew; One window was perfectly cut at the right angle into the roof above to make a square of light right on the counter, in this square of sunlight he placed a cloth since this was where his plants would go for drying, filling their house with their sweet scent.

Now that the chores were done Clover fixed his hat upon his head, making sure the golden strands of his make were neat underneath it before strolling out into the sunshine, a soft shiver passing through him since the air was a little cold, but he got his bucket and headed to the well that was infront of his fields and got it brimmed with icy cold water, it went from the bucket to a watering can and he picked it up in his mouth and glanced out upon the patches of green that made his crop, ears pricked up and taking a deep breath in through his nose he headed foreward, carefully moving between the rows to water each shining green clover bed.

Once the watering was done he tended to the weeding, and when the weeding was done he fastened a basket to his back and started to pluck himself a good basket full of his crops, plucking the juicy green leaves, and the delicious fragrant purple blossoms.

Finally done with his morning chores he went back into the warm house and let out a deep breath, eyes glancing around the familiar but as always empty room that was slightly blurry around it’s edges, he was lonely...but perhaps today he would get visitors! He set aside a good crop of his plants for drying to take in to Canterlot, and to take to the small buffalo tribes of Appleoosa later in the week, the rest of it ? Well some of the blossoms and leaves went into the teapot and set to boil, the rest were added to his big cauldron over the fire which contained a rather rich smelling stew to add a boost to it.

The Soup and Tea smelled wonderful as they cooked.. but then Clover Face hooved HARD “Celestia be ! I forgot the bee’s!” He exclaimed, kicking up his heels and headed on out “Goodness glaciers” He muttered . His friendly bee’s looking at him with unamused looks “Tis not my fault” He huffed moving to gather the Honey that they had produced, making sure to take only what he needed since it was not a day for sales “Don’t give me that look” He added huffing playfully.

Back inside he scraped the honey off the combs, and strained the golden elixir into a honey pot, setting it upon the table, The wax he reserved for candlemaking later in the night “There we go..” NOW to attract guests, he propped open one of his windows so the sweet smell of good food and clovers would drift down the path… maybe today someone would come see him.

• 5 weeks later...

And a visitor he would get indeed! Though likely an unexpected one.

It wasn't often Ace found himself waking before noon, but when he did he didn't waste away the extra daylight hours he found himself with. He went straight from bed to the restroom, looking at himself in the mirror and striking a few poses. "Look at you you handsome, rugged pony you, you look like you just got outta bed! With that bedhead..." chuckling at his attempt of humoring himself, he spent the next few minutes or so combing his hair into that suave style he seemed to like. Then he brushed his teeth... theeeen... hmm. What WAS he going to do today? He checked his books! No races, no big events, no public gatherings... and he'd had enough of just setting up at the train station and getting the dozen or so suckers to play his games each day... the nut farm didn't contact him with anything...

So what was he to do? He came to a sudden decision! "A trip!" Yes! A trip to Solstice Heights! See what little Clover was up to. It had been awhile since he had paid his cousin a visit. He figured it would be the nice thing to do... even if Clover didn't like card games. But there are better things to do, of course. Even he could admit that. So, he hopped on the first avaliable carrige (like heck he was going to walk, walking's for suckers) and made way for Solstice heights! When he arrived it was really the first time he took notice of the day's chill. Luckily he had his denim jacket and red scarf around his neck! It had been some time since his last visit, but he knew the way! Trotting on down the path, he decided to whitle a nice holiday tune. He did gracefully whistle '12 Days of Hearth's Warming' as he made his way toward Clover's shack, spotting the little dwelling in the distance. The ebony pony was no doubt just as visible coming down the path as well. He could smell something delicious! Maybe just in time for breakfast? Lunch? Brunch? He wasn't sure what time it was anymore. Though he did wonder what sort of welcome he was going to get from his dear cousin.

• 3 weeks later...

Clover’s ears were very sensitive and he heard the sound of the others hooves on the road outside and glanced up from his work, a grin crossing his face as he heard the sound of his dear cousins hooves trotting along the dirt road. He went over and swung open the top half of the door and grinned ear to ear waving at him “Hey there Ace!” He called out to him “It’s almost time for lunch would you like to join me?” He was making parsnip stew with golden biscuits and fresh clover tea.

The good smells from his kitchen wafting out the window to dance under the black ponys nostrils enticing him to come on in! Clover was very fond of his cousin even if he was a no good low life snake in the grass like the rest of his family, but hey ! Family was important even way out here where he was alone most of the time.

Ace stopped for only a moment to wave back before he proceeded toward Clover's home. The aroma of food was almost enough to sweep Ace off his hooves and carry him to the door! It being in his nature, and it wasn't like it was going to be a mystery who was at the door, Ace skipped knocking and let himself in, making sure not to drag snow and dirt into the house. Ooo he'd be whooped something fierce if he made a mess coming in from outside as a colt, so it was like second nature for self preservation rather than manners. As soon as that was done, he quickly trotted over to his cousin and wrapped his front hooves around his neck in a loving hug. "Clover, my cousin! It's so good to see you!" Finally letting go of him with a chuckle, he took a step back and took a look around. "You seem to be doing pretty well for yourself" he noted as he took off his scarf... though he wasn't sure where to put it.

He certainly didn't want to just toss it on a chair or something, so... he asked! "Hey, where do you want me to throw this?"

• 3 weeks later...

Madame plodded along the path leading to her brother's house, sighing heavily. She was tired. She always seemed to forget how tiring the trip from Canterlot was. It looked so short, but there were so many winding paths, and it took a lot of effort to keep her heavily-laden cart from rolling out of control downhill. Hecate and Fang weren't any help, either. A cat and a bat – she should've picked a big, bulky, cart-pulling dog for a pet.

Still, she needed to restock some of her mystical herbs, which were mostly plants that went “bamf” and made pretty-colored smoke when exposed to flame. Useless, but they impressed her customers. And someone had to look after her brother. He seemed to think he could do it himself, but Madame knew better. She'd left home when Clover was still a colt, and she never quite stopped thinking of him that way.

Strands of her bedraggled mane kept escaping her bandanna and flopping in her face. She blew at her errant bangs in an attempt to get them out of her way. It was a futile effort.

Squinting through her hair, she could just about make out a black pony. A stallion, and a curiously familiar one at that. Then she heard him speak.

Ace? What's he doing up in these parts?” She wasn't sure what to make of the situation. Perhaps he had some angle he was working in the area. Maybe he's being nice, she thought. She laughed at her own idea. Niceness was not a weakness often found in their dear family.

Crack! Her cart hit a bump, and the harness pushed forward into her shoulders. She grimaced. Hecate mewled in protest. “If you don't like it, you can get out here and drive, cat.

Madame slowed down and the cart juddered to a stop. Tired, and not altogether in a good mood, she grabbed a package she'd put together for her brother. This time, someone carrying an ample supply of zap apple jam had stopped by to have his fortune told. His fortune included less zap apple jam, she knew that much. (Though she was still unsure exactly how Hecate had stolen any of them – the jars were at least half her size.)

Still outside, she called into the door, voice muffled by the string of the package she was holding. “Ace? What are you doing down here?” She set her gift down, taking the opportunity to brush her mane out of her eyes. “Clover? You here?

“Oh just toss it on a chair” He said and smiled “I’m so glad you came by this way for a visit” He said, he so rarely got any family visits,however it seemed that fortune was in his favor today as he heard another familiar voice! “SIS!” He moved to open the door for her, she was a bit blurrier than she was the last time she came for a visit “It’s so good to see you! Come on in! Sis, Cousin Ace please come in and sit down let me make you both tea!”

Clover was extatic! He seldom got visitors and now TWO Family members were in his home! He could practically sing with joy from this “I’v got supper on too! Are you both staying the night or just passing through? I INSIST that you stop here to rest!” He knew most of the time he was just a pony pit stop but he didn’t care in the slightest.

Family was family no matter what sorta jobs they did and he had some special plants for his sister too he’d been babying them all year!

((Sorry for the wait! Must've missed this x.x))

Ace's ears perked when he heard the voice of his older cousin, Madame! This was quite a surprise, but it seemed even more of a surprise and absolute joy for dear little Clover. It was nice to see at least a little bit of the family getting together. After Clover basked in his happiness and invited them both in, he answered his newly-arrived cousin. "Well, I found myself free for the day and I figured rather than spend it by myself, I'd come by and visit my cousin!" he answered with a pleasant tone. No trickery or shenanigans from Ace this evening! Just enjoying food, conversation, and familiar company.

Setting his scarf on a chair, he looked to his cousin Clover with a smile. "Well I don't see why I couldn't spend the night, if you don't have a problem with it. It'd be like when we were colts!" Of course when they were colts Ace was usually up to no good, and when he was with his cousin was no exception. Though he imagined the activities they'd do now as grown-up little ponies would be quite different... "Ah, it's so nice to see you guys"

((Wish I'd seen your post last sunday! This week has been crazy-busy. Sculpture with fourth grade, so much prep tiiiime. D: ))

Madame couldn't help but smile. Something about Clover's enthusiasm always managed to find its way into the cracks of her grim outlook. She wasn’t entirely sure why, but she supposed that if he managed to survive an upbringing among the GoLuckies and still turn out to be an upstanding citizen, he had to be a genuinely good pony. She was certain he had no tricks or lies hiding up his sleeve.

Madame had been a charlatan so long that authenticity felt foreign to her now, and she rarely trusted it in any case, but Clover was an exception. If anypony managed to chip her icy exterior, it was him, and she found that she didn’t mind so much.

It’s good to see you too, Clover,” she said, feeling her voice crack. Her throat was so dry. “Tea would be perfect right now.

Madame looked suspiciously at Ace for a moment, but then shrugged. Ace was also a cheerful sort, albeit the sort to be cheerful while he pranced away with all of your bits. Perhaps a social call wasn’t entirely out of character, though Madame’s default attitude was suspicion. “As good a reason as any, I suppose. It’s nice to see you too, Ace.

Sticking her head out of the door for a moment, Madame called out to the animals in her cart. “Hecate! Fang! Have at ‘em!” At that, a scraggly black cat bolted out of the cart, heading for any rodents in the garden. The bat fluttered sleepily out of the cart and under an eave in Clover’s hut. Come night time, he’d take the opportunity to snack on a few bothersome insects. He left the bees well enough alone, though – he didn’t care for insects that fought back.

There. Set my little beasts on any pests unfortunate enough to be in your garden right now.” She sat down and pulled her shoulders back, working kinks out of her spine. She wasn’t an old mare by any means, yet on days like these, she felt like one. She wasn’t really cut out for pulling a heavy cart all day. “If it wouldn’t be imposing, I’d love to say the night, Clover. Would certainly beat sleeping in the cart again.

Heh, it does remind me of when we were all little. I think we’re a bit big for hide and seek now, though.” She raised an eyebrow. “I’d suggest cards, but I’m only used to tarot cards and I’d venture to say you’d find a way to cheat at those too, Ace.” She smirked at him. It did feel like the good ol' days again...