A guard's reward

Davroth

"I don't think any amount of perilous traveling could get my family to get along," Radiant commented with a dry laugh, shaking her head. She could hear all the arguing in her head just thinking about it, and just the thought of it seemed poised to give her a headache.

Then Seeker brought up dessert. This definitely piqued Radiant's interest. Finally, it was time for her favorite part of any meal. She could truly be indulgent with sweets.

"Tea, definitely," she said. Coffee was far too bitter for her tastes. She didn't completely "get" tea either, but it was certainly easier for her to get down and the caffeine in it was handy for keeping her awake after a night watch shift.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After carefully placing the used plates on the counter, he noticed that the inn keeper had already prepared a kettle of water. It would only take a few more minutes until the water was boiling, and Seeker didn't waste any time. He carefully placed the glossy white pieces of cake on two plates, and prepared a sugar jar and milk, and slices of lemon.

The kettle whistled, indicating that it was boiling. He poured the water on the already prepared tea leaves. The smell of fresh tea was something he had always appreciated, and he tried to set aside some time to brew tea, even when in the wild.

As he left the kitchen, he made sure to take one of the dog treats he had prepared a while ago. They were dried pieces of a big mushroom, and had the advantage of being a chewing toy as well.

Seeker placed the the plates with tea on the table, and one plate with cake in front of their places. He then let the piece of dried mushroom dangle in front of Blacky. Promptly, the dog got up, fetched his treat out of the air, and flopped on the ground, chewing on it heavily, and salivating onto the ground, making happy growling noises.

"Here we go, Miss Radiant Steel." He began, "I prepared one of the teas I brought here from my homelands. It's known to ponies here as black tea, I learned, and this one has a bit of a herbal taste to it." It was the most balanced tea he had brought. The inn keeper had advised him not to use one of the stronger ones for dessert, and he trusted his word. "I have milk, sugar and lemon prepared, if needed."

"And here now is the dessert." He pointed to the plates. "I bought it at a local bakery, and have never eaten something like this myself, but the salespony promised me it was one of his most popular recipies. It's white chocolate and some kind of light yellow fruit I haven't heard about before. Apricot, I believe, it was called. " He paused, looking at the white mare. He smiled friendly. "I hope it's to your liking, Miss Radiant Steel."

Radiant's eyes focused in on the cake. It looked so delicious. She felt a little bad knowing she'd probably appreciating the dessert Seeker purchased more than any of the foods he purchased himself, but that was her fault for having a foal's palate. She took the cake and tea eagerly.

"Thank you, this looks wonderful," she said with a grin. She nodded as she watched Blacky chew on what Seeker had given him. "And it looks like he's enjoying his treat too."

She prepared her tea with a little milk and an excessive amount of sugar. She took a sip slowly, satisfied with the sweetness. She then took a bit of the cake. It was quite tasty. She ate it up quickly, not able to hold herself back.

"Delicious," she said happily, giving a small girlish squeal entirely unbecoming of a trained REA guardspony. After that she blushed, aware of how silly she was acting and hoping she wouldn't be judged for it.

Seeker cautiously eyed the piece of cake on his plate. It had been a while since he had last tried sweets of any kind, and he didn't exactely miss the taste. However, he had been told that a dessert was part of a menu here, in Canterlot, and he wanted this to be as perfect as possible for the white pegasus.

"I'm just happy this menu is to your liking, Miss Radiant Steel." He smiled warmly. "It's the least I can do after saving my travel companion."

He took a bite of his cake, and his eyes widened in surprise. "This is really good." he proclaimed, still some cake in his muzzle. He took another bite, gobbling it down hastily. At that point he realized that it was probably in bad manner to eat like that. He swallowed hard, and cleared his throat. "I.. apologize for that" he blushed slightly under his dark grey coat and averted his eyes.

"Oh... no need to apologize," Radiant said with a short laugh, watching the other, a glob of cake frosting still on the tip of her own nose.

"Despite what you might have heard, Canterlot isn't all snooty noble types," she said, shaking her head. "Not all of us are obsessed with things like proper manners and etiquette."

"I for one think there's no crime in showing passion." The pegasus smiled softly. "And I'd say that cake really was worth getting passionate about."

"Oh." Seeker said thoughfully, pondering what she meant with etiquette. "Well, my family had been very particular about this, too." he blushed a bit more, and smiled. "It was delicious, actually." Radiant's presence did did calm his nervousness a bit. He still felt.. inappropriate somehow. Even worse, he was all out of tea, and the white mare had already finished her cake, too.

Seeker noticed that Blacky seemed jittery. He had kept still for a while now, and just urged to run around. "Would you mind...?" Seeker ventured, mind racing. "Would you mind accopanying Blacky and me to the nearby park?" He looked to the ground, still embarrassed by his lack of composure. "He.. really needs some movement right about now."

Radiant smiled. "I wouldn't mind that all..." she said as she stared down at Blacky.

"Like usual, my guard shift isn't until late tonight," the pegasus nodded. "I don't have anything else planned for the day."

"A nice walk actually sounds good after taking in so much food," she added.

• 2 weeks later...

"That's great!" Seeker said cheerfully. "Just let me get my saddle bag and we will be on our way."

Picking up the remaining dishes, Seeker made his way to the door swiftly, looking for his bags. He would only take the small one with the dog snacks and toys, but on second thought, he packed one of his sheep wool blankets from home. He had observed other ponies in the parks here putting blankets on the ground to sit on.

When he returned to the kitchen, Seeker saw the inn keeper already beginning to clean the dishes, and as he entered, he gave Seeker an enthusiastic nod. "Thank you." Seeker said calmly.

Outside, Blacky couldn't contain his excitement anymore. He ran around for a bit, and then began to jump up and down in front of the white pegasus, who was for the moment the only pony in the yard.

As Seeker stepped outside, he whistled, and the black dog stood to attention instantly, wagging his tail enthusiastically.

"Shall we?"

Radiant smiled as she watched jump up and down excitedly. She still wasn't entirely sure how to act around a dog, but Blacky sure was cute.

When Seeker, returned, Radiant gave him a nod. "Of course. Let's depart," she said readily.

A walk really did sound nice. She didn't often explore the city by daylight. It sounded refreshing, especially given it would be in the company of her new friends. Eagerly, she prepared herself to leave the inn.

As they left the inn's courtyard, Seeker tension lifted slightly. As much as he tried to make this dinner for Radiant Steel as pleasant as possible, but although he was a fairly good cook, but this had left him far out of his comfort zone.

However, seeing Blacky running around and yapping happily, earning them a few curious looks by other ponies going about their daily business. Seeker didn't mind, though. It was only natural for him to be excited. Now that he thought about it, he wasn't sure what the white pegasus mare would think of it.

As they made their way to the nearby park, Seeker peered over to her, in what he thought was an unassuming fashion, looking for a reaction.

Radiant found the walk pleasant. Blacky had a lot of energy; watching him run around in front of them made Radiant smile. It was relaxing.

Or it was until Radiant began to notice some stares they were getting. This made the young pegasus mare a little self conscious of her situation. She was reminded by what the rest of her squad had said in their teasing. There was no way about it; this resembled a date. Radiant still wasn't sure it wasn't one herself. She didn't have a lot of experience with such things. Being fed lots of good food and then going on a relaxing stroll together; they sounded like things she might have associated with dating.

She grew noticeably flush as she considered such things. This was all so out of place for her. It made her feel vulnerable. She kind of missed her armor at that moment. It was always easier for her to be REA Garrison Sergeant Radiant Steel, standing tall and firm for Princess Celestia and the law of Equestria. Just being herself, that was the difficult part.

She began to notice neither her nor Seeker had spoken for a while. It was kind of awkward, but she couldn't really think of anything to say at that moment that wouldn't be even more awkward. Ultimately, she just stayed silent.

To his dread, Seeker noticed that the white mare to his side looked increasingly uneasy. Surely Blacky's unruly behavior was the cause of this, he thought, and acted quickly. With a sharp whistle, Blacky stood to attention. With a different whistle, the black dog darted to his side, walking parallel to him, looking up to him questioningly. He gave him a stern look and he complied. Blacky didn't have to understand to follow an order.

He gave Radiant Steel what he thought of as a comforting smile, and said: "I apologize, maybe I should keep him in check until we reach the park."

Then he added quietly: "I don't know if you have noticed, Miss Radiant Steel, but the other ponies were already giving us looks."

It didn't connect with Radiant at all at first. Seeker had made Blacky stop running about and cut back to him. Radiant couldn't figure out why. When he spoke it even further confused her.

"No... that's... er... " Radiant started, but trailed off when she wasn't sure what to say. She blushed some more and looked down. That's when Seeker spoke again, brining attention to the ponies all around. The pegasus mare's cheeks reddened even further.

"Ah..." she started. "No... I-I hadn't noticed at all," she lied. It sounded terribly forced and clumsy, even to herself.

'I made it worse' Seeker though helplessly 'I better keep quiet until we reach to park'

They trotted along the road, drawing closer to the small park with a pond, before the backdrop of canterlot castle. He hoped that she would be more comfortable there. Nopony would take offense to Blacky running about there, and he always found the grass and trees there very calming. Surely, Radiant Steel would love it there.

They passed a bent in the road, and the park was now in sight. They were almost there. He would do what it took to make this a fitting reward for the white pegasus mare that had helped him so selflessly in his time of need.

Things went quiet again. Radiant didn't like the quiet. It made her just kind of uncomfortable. They were approaching a nice looking park though. That at least diverted her attention a little. Maybe they'd attract less unwanted attention there. She hoped at least.

"Umm... so... " she started, feeling compelled to break the silence. "What did you say you were looking for here in Canterlot again?" she asked, thinking it would be a suitable topic to distract them at least for a little while.

Seeker's head, that he had lowered looking if calling back Blacky have had any positive effect, jolted up. "Ehr.." He began, a little nervous, "I'm doing research for future expeditions." He smiled distantly "I hope to find some new leads in the libraries here."

They trotted onward. Now that they were getting closer to the park, it was increasingly difficult for Blacky to stay put. Any moment now, he might try to make a dash for the pond. Preemptively, Seeker let out a sharp whistle, and the black dog complied.

"Oh yeah, that's right," Radiant started with a nod. "I remember you saying you were looking for libraries back when we met in the woods."

She smiled. She began to talk quickly, somewhat forced, in an effort to keep things from going too quiet."And you really did come to the right town. Between the Royal Library in the castle, the Canterlot University library, the Great Library of Canterlot, and who knows how many private libraries and book shops, there's no shortage of reading material here in Canterlot."

Radiant didn't read much herself. She never had. She knew about all these libraries but had been to maybe a handful of them.

The pegasus hadn't even noticed Seeker had been preoccupied with Blacky until after he whistled. She was a little taken aback, and felt once again kind of awkward.

Seeker blinked as he noticed the silence following his whistle sign. He looked to the white mare, now completely lost.

Thankfully, they had finally reached the park entrance. If front of them, a wide meadow unfolded, in some distance a small stream leading into a pond. There were trees and bushes lining the paths and almost devoid of other ponies. Seeker welcomed this. He wasn't sure how to feel about the glares the Canterlot ponies had thrown their way on the way here.

"...And here we are." He began, to break the quiet. "I suggest we sit down near the pond." he pointed one hoof in direction of a small hill with a tree, across a path next to the water. Blacky loved swimming, and he would run off to the water anyway, so he might as well stay near it.

He gave the white mare a slightly concerned, but friendly look: "...shall we?"

Radiant was happy to reach the park. Not just because it presented something new, but because it was rather nice to look at. She had seen it before, of course, but not often at this time of day.

"Of course," she started, following the stallion to the hill. "This park is quite nice. I haven't visited it in some time."

She could remember coming to places like this in the city as a child to play around with her brothers. She smiled at the nostalgic thoughts. She then glanced over at Blacky, swimming playfully in the water nearby. She let out a pleasant laugh as she watched.

As they reached the small hill, Seeker unfolded one of the sheep wool blankets he had brought from the inn, and placed it neatly under the tree. It would lend some shadow from the sun, still standing high, and this spot had the pond in good sight.

"Please." He began, pointing to the blanket. "It's a wool blanket I brought from home, my parent's finest quality." He said, a little bit of pride vibrating in her voice.

He hadn't been home for a long time, and he had never been very interested in wool, but he still know quality work when he saw it, and on his travels, he had found nothing quite like his parents hoofwork.

True to form, Blacky was splashing happily in the water, momentarily jumping out, and shaking the water out of his fur. He trotted up to them, and Seeker knew what that meant. He produced a carved stick from one of the bags he had leaned against the tree. He lifted the stick just out of reach of Blacky, who instantly fixated it with an excited glare. Spinning it in the air with his magic, Seeker then flung it towards the pond, the black dog in hot pursuit. He lay down on the blanket.

"We couldn't have picked a better day." He mused, looking into the cloudless sky.

Radiant sat upon the blanket immediately. She gave a smile.

"You mean your parents made this blanket?" she asked. "It's really nice."

She stared out at Blacky playing in the water. Watching the dog play, she felt immediately more relaxed.

"Yeah. You're right," she said, nodding.

Blacky came running back with his stick, dropping it in front of his master and waiting for it fly away again.

Seeker rolled on his back, looking into the clear sky. The smell of the fresh grass and trees and the sound of splashing water felt so much more familiar then the big city around him.

"So, how is it to live in a big city like Canterlot?" He began, flinging the stick towards the pond once again. "I've been here for a few days now, but I still feel a little lost."

Radiant nodded as she watched Blacky run after the stick.

"I don't know," she said in a low voice, thinking about it a moment. "I can't say I know how living here compares to anywhere else. It's the only place I've ever really known..."

"I think I like it though. I have anything I could want. I like my job, and all my family lives here." She stopped and shrugged. "If there's someplace that suits me better, I wouldn't really know..."

"I have to admit, it's not easy being so far away from my family." He sighed. It really had been a while since he had last visited. He smiled sadly.

"Maybe it's part of why I prefer to stay in the wild, pursuing my dream." He laughed a little uneasily. "No matter how foreign this place is, it still reminds me of what I left behind."

He sighed once more, closing his eyes, listening to the sounds of splashing water.

Radiant gave a weak smile as she listened to Seeker. She kind of wanted to escape her family sometimes. Her strict and domineering father who's shadow she perpetually lived in, her kind but often times coddling mother, her older brother with his self-satisfied arrogance and incessant teasing, and her younger brother and his almost too gentle and laid back nature... it was hard to be around them all sometimes. She supposed she was at an opposite place in her life from this pony she was sharing the day with. He yearned nostalgically for what he had left behind while she held in her a desire to escape the mundane life she knew.

She gave a long sigh, tired from thinking about it. She instead decided to focus in on one word in particular that Seeker spoke.

"So what is your dream?" she asked, curiosity in her voice.