A guard's reward

Davroth

Seeker closed his eyes, and his horn began to glow faintly. A small brazen object, about the size and shape of a pocket watch, gently floated from one of the saddle bags resting under the tree and stood still a few inches above his head. As he opened his eyes, they glowed with the same magic, and the object began to come apart, revealing an array of tiny gears and springs and feathers, suspended between two shells in astral glow.

As he began talking, his voice seemed a little more monotone then usual. "I found this object in the mountains around the desert when I was but a foal. The gears and springs inside of it move by themselves. It's unlike anything known to Ponykind. More even, it's impossible."

The different parts danced in the air now, moving in invisible tracks, before returning to their original place. "It's my dream to find out where it came from, and my best lead..." The shells moved back together, and as they seamlessly connected, his voice normalized again. "..are traces of a prediscordian civilization." The brazen object floated down to the blanket, resting in from of the white pegasus.

Upon closer inspection, it revealed to be covered by a network of lines, edged into the surface. They were a combination of concentric circles and lines, intersecting at some points.

"If I could find where it came from, maybe we could learn from it." He said, thoughtfully.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiant stared in awe as Seeker showed her his most precious possession and spoke of the dream that went along with it.

"Wow..." she started, in awe of the magical artifact. Radiant had always had a fascination with magic. When she was a very young foal, before she could fly very well, she had wanted to be a unicorn so she could use magic herself. Mainly she associated it with her mother though. Its most beautiful forms thus always struck her with a particular warmth. This treasure of Seeker's was definitely one of the more beautiful she had ever seen.

"That's amazing," Radiant said, still awed as Seeker put the object away. "I've never seen anything like it..."

She nodded a number of times. "I really hope you fulfill your dream, Seeker," she said then gave a small sigh. "I only wish I could help you with it."

Seeker smiled to himself "It will probably take a life of dedication to fulfill my dream, but I couldn't ask anyone to make that kind of sacrifice for me." His eyes followed small clouds. "And you already helped me a lot, don't forget that."

He rolled over on his stomach, looking at her, smiling brightly. Splashing noises filled the air, indicating that Blacky was still enjoying his bath.

"So how about you, Miss Radiant Steel?" He said in a friendly tone of voice. "Do you have any dreams for the future?"

"Ah, that's right," Radiant said with a little blush. Today was all about thanking her and here she was going on about how she want to help him "Well I'm glad I was able to help you, if even just a little."

Seeker then rolled over and proceeded to do something that surprised Radiant; he turned the question of dreams to her. Radian't mind went blank for a moment. She certainly didn't have something so grand and wonderful. She couldn't think of anything she had that even compared. Next to Seeker, she was all but drifting aimlessly.

"I don't have anything quite like you," Radiant admitted softly. She looked upward and smiled. "Well, okay, there is one silly dream I do kinda have..." She gave a shy smile and closed her eyes. "I kind of hope to be one of the personal guards of Princess Celestia someday. I admire her so much."

The pegasus gave a small sigh and nodded. "Other than that, I just want to live a happy life and be somepony my parents can be proud of."

The grey stallion nods slowly "Yes, my parents needed a while to warm up on the thought of me leaving the family." He laughs "As you can imagine, it's rare that that happens. My father wanted me to take over the caravan, but my mother was able to convince him that I should be allowed to chase my dream."

He looks into the sky, his voice lowering a little as he thinks. "After all, my mother left her family to follow the caravan."

Seeker cleared his throat. "So what do you usually do on your free time, Miss Radiant Steel?"

Radiant smiled just softly as the unicorn started speaking about his family. So he had left his family to follow this dream of his? Again, this was about the diametric opposite of her. Her life was built upon discarded childhood dreams. She had ultimately ended up in her father's shadow, following the exact same path as him. Chasing her dreams? No, she had watched as every dream since her foalhood wish to be a unicorn rapidly ran from her and escaped her grasp until she had nothing left to follow but the path her father laid before her. She wondered if she wasn't maybe a little pathetic next to somepony like Seeker, living his own life so freely.

Her brothers had more in common with this pony. A lot of his motivation was just to be a vindictive jerk, but if Dagger had one thing going for him it was ambition; dedication to boldly forging his own path and following it through to the end. Damask was the opposite, lacking ambition and conviction, but he was the sort of free spirit who didn't let himself get chained down or caged by anything; he was entirely his own pony. Next to all three of them, her brothers and this stallion with her now, Radiant was honestly a little jealous.

She didn't have any hopes of expressing any of these rambling thoughts to Seeker though, not that she'd particularly want to. They were embarrassing thoughts really, the kind best not expressed. Radiant found she had more of that sort of thought than any other. Her stream of thought was interrupted however when a new question reached her ears.

The question caused further pause. What she did in her free time? It seemed like such an unusual question to her. It also caused Radiant to think. She didn't have an extensive social life. It was pretty non existent really. She didn't maintain a lot of hobbies either. No. There really wasn't a lot to say.

"I maintain an active training regiment to keep my body in top physical condition," Radiant answered with a nod. "I sometimes go on walks around the city to clear my head. And that's about it really..."

The grey stallion nodded slowly, and rolled on his back again "It makes sense. I'm sure you have to train hard if you want to fulfill your dream of guarding the Exalted One."

Pondering, the sound of splashing water ever present, he continued: "We all have to make sacrifices now and then." After a moment's silence, he continued: "So you usually don't get invited to meals? You seemed to enjoy that...."

He thought, for a moment, then laughed quietly "But I shouldn't comment. I live off of food tins in the wilderness most of the time, with only Blacky to keep me company."

"Yes, only the very best guards are allowed to guard her personally," Radiant said with a nod and smile, confident she'd get there one day.

After a pause, the stallion asked her another question. She blushed and nodded. "Yeah. I'm afraid it's unusual for me to presented with anything close to that. My father favors simple, practical meals, so that's usually what we're served."

She smiled again at Seeker's last comments. "That's kind of a shame. You're so talented at it, it's unfortunate you don't get to prepare yourself wonderful meals very often."

• 2 weeks later...

The grey stallion shifted on the spot, blushing a little. "It is nothing special. Just one or two tricks I learned from my mother.."

He smiled to himself, stretching his limbs. "But thank you, for the compliment."

Blacky, who had grown tired of just idly swimming around, had begun hunting after a couple of city ducks. Seeker, alarmed by the commotion, rolled over, standing up. "I should call him back now." He said, then whistled a sharp signal. "Blacky! Here, boy."

The dog's ears perked up, immediately standing to attention. He turned his head to face his master, and ran up to the two ponies, stopping at the edge of the pond to shake the water out of his fur.

"Believe me, you deserve it," Radiant said to the other pony's show of modesty. "Such a meal was a treat for me."

She watched as Blacky went after the ducks, glad when Seeker jumped in to stop it. She smiled as the dog came rushing back to them.

"I guess that's all a part of his instincts," Radiant said in a low murmur, not really sure what to think. She supposed it was similar to her behavior in a way. Her instinctual need to jump to the aid of those she valued, even when it wasn't in sound judgement... It was something she couldn't repress, even when it got her in trouble with her superiors.

Blacky stopped dead in front of his master, sitting down immediately. The gray stallion ruffled the dog's fur, producing a snack from one of the saddlebags, and made the dog beg for it. They worked together like a unit, they always did. It was the genuine bond of a lifelong companionship.

Seeker lifted a stick from the ground, levitating it into the air. Blacky instantly jumped into action, jumping on the spot. It spun in the air, then stopped, and floated down lightly.

"Would you like to try, miss Radiant Steel?" He placed it in front of her. "Just throw it, and Blacky will retrieve it. It's fun." He smiled friendly.

Radiant laughed a little and smiled. "Okay," she said as she took the stick.

"Get ready for it, Blacky," she said as she stood and even flew up a little to get more height. She then tossed the stick out far across the part. "There. Go fetch it, Blacky!"

She giggled as she came back down, all the while watching the dog start to run. "I hope I didn't throw it too far," the pegasus said, smiling..

Seeker stood there for a moment, muzzle wide open in surprise, before chuckling to himself. "That's quite a throw. You did mention you train a lot, so it shouldn't come as a surprise."

He sat down, looking after Blacky, who was half way to the spot the stick had landed. "Don't worry, He's really good at this game."

Running back swiftly, the black dog came to a halt in from of the white pegasus mare, putting the stick on the ground in front of her, waggling his tail expectantly.

"He expects a reward." He gave her a smile. "You should pet him before he's getting disappointed."

"Of course," Radiant said as she began to pet the dog fondly. She smiled as she did so.

it was nice to actually find an animal who liked her. That was really a rarity. For that matter, it was nice to find a pony she could actually talk to. Sure, there was her mother and her brothers--or well Damask at least, but it was still not often she could talk to like this, on a personal level. It felt really nice.

She thought back on their meeting. She had rudely accosted him, utterly convinced he was a thief. Thinking back on that rough meeting, this moment now seemed all the more unusual to her. She laughed aloud at that thought.

"Blacky's really nice," she said as she continued to pet the dog. She spoke of the dog, but her meaning extended to Seeker as well. "I'm really glad I was able to spend this time with him today."

• 2 weeks later...

The gray stallion smirked as he thought back how they first met. Accusing him to be a thief, trying to taking him into custody, it seemed like ages ago. He looked into the sky, giving a little giggle.

It had been an unusually fun day for Seeker. It reminded him of the bustle that surrounded him all the time when he was traveling with his family. He half hoped that some lead would bring him back to the desert, giving him a chance to meet his parents. He would write them a letter, at any rate.

"From the looks of it.." he began, seeking eye contact with the white mare, giving her a warm smile, "..He greatly enjoyed your company too, miss Radiant Steel"

• 3 weeks later...

((ooc: sorry for the wait. I'm involved in far too many RPs; kept forgetting to reply to this one. Also wasn't entirely sure exactly what I could post... :blush: ))

Radiant smiled, glad to hear the words leaving the unicorn's mouth. It was rare for her to make friends. It felt nice when she did so. She was grateful to have spent the day so nicely with these two. It had been nothing but fun for her. It was just a little sad that it would have to end, and that when it did things would go back to how they were.

"I'm glad," she said in a low voice, looking out toward Blacky. "It's rare that I'm able to form bonds with animals like him..."

"I just wonder if I'll get the chance to see him again. I don't imagine he'll have reason to stay here in Canterlot once you find the information you're looking for here," she said after a long, resigned sigh.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeker blushed almost noticeably. He hadn't thought about this, and didn't quite know what to say. True, he would leave Canterlot as soon as he found his next lead, but it was possible that he'd return, right? If he found something worthwhile, no doubt the Canterlot Historic Society would be interested to see it, and if it ended up being a dud, there were enough libraries in this city for a lifetime of research. The gray stallion never had any incentive to return anywhere, really. Save maybe for his home. He look away to hide his flushed expression.

"Once I leave, Blacky will follow, no doubt about it." He began slowly, focusing his gaze on a tree nearby. "...but this is a big city, full of books and possible hints that could help me in my research. I will probably return here, and so will Blacky.." a friendly smile on his features, he continued: "Would you like that, Miss Radiant Steel?"

Radiant smiled as Seeker said they may return to Canterlot some day. It was a faint hope to hang onto at the least, even if that's all it turned out to be.

"Yeah. I'd like that a lot," she said with a steady nod. "I'd really like to see you both again someday."

She looked toward Blacky again and smiled. "As I said, I'm not very good with animals usually. To be frank, I'm perhaps not the best with ponies either. It's a relief to find friends I can enjoy myself with so easily."

• 2 weeks later...

Looking around to keep Blacky in sight, he listened to Radiant's words. He saw his dog running around in the distance, running after some ducks. Shouldn't be a problem, no need to step in. There weren't many ponies around at this hour anyway, so nopony to take offense, either.

"...It's a relief to find friends I can enjoy myself with so easily."

This time Seeker was hit completely off guard. He froze, blushing furiously and, without noticing it, staring at the white mare, a blank expression on his face. His muzzle opened half as if he wanted to say something, but nothing came out.

Seeker seemed kind of surprised by what she said. He didn't reply for a while. Radiant began to wonder if she hadn't misspoken somewhere. Her mind began to race as she struggled to keep it all together.

"I mean... um... er..." she started, looking down, her face flush. "Did I say something wrong?" she finally questioned, her voice going soft.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeker gulped, his blank expression replaced with an uncertain smile. "S.. sorry. I'm just a little surprised." His features were still severely flushed, but he slowly regained his composure. "I just wanted to reward the brave mare who saved my closest friend...."

He looked around, trying to find something to fix his gaze on. "...and I didn't expect I'd find a friend." The grey unicorn laughed a little uneasily. "I don't make friends so easily.... I'm sorry, I'm making this awkward..." He fumbled with his hooves, still trying to avoid her eyes.

"This is the most I've talked to anypony for a long time..." He mumbled to himself.

Radiant nodded several times at what the other pony said.

"I'm the same way. I've never been good at talking to others. There aren't very many I'd call friends, and I'm not the type to usually speak so much with somepony," she said with a blush, feeling totally awkward to be saying such a thing.

"It's..." Radiant started, but stopped as she searched for a word. "it's nice," she concluded. "Very nice, to talk with somepony like this."

"I'm glad I decided to help you back in the woods," she said to the unicorn, nodding.

The grey stallion still looked a little flustered, but managed to smile as he listened to Radiant Steel. It had been a very enjoyable day for him, probably the most fun he has had for while.

"It's been fun to prepare all this. Making food, preparing a trip to the park..." His eyes wandered into the distance, taking note that Blacky was still running around, currently hunting squirrels up a tree. "And it's been fun spending this day with you. I guess what I'm trying to say is..."

Seeker turned, this time to face her, looking into her ever vigilant, green eyes. A slight flush had crept into his features, but he continued in a firm voice: "I'm glad that I've met you, Miss Radiant Steel."

• 3 weeks later...

((ooc: Sorry for the wait; I seriously thought I already replied to this... :?: ))

Radiant blushed deeply. She really wasn't used to hearing such kind things said about her. It was kind of hard for her to hear really. Mostly when she was told things, they were barked orders from superiors or her father, teasing barbs from her brother, or difficult talk from the many she had gotten on the wrong side of. Kind words for her were a real rarity, which made her appreciate them all the more.

She looked at the unicorn, not sure how to respond at first and the gave a shy nod. "Thanks..." she said softly. "Uh... I'm very glad I met you too."

"I'm honestly unused to this sort of treatment," she said, becoming even quieter. "it... it's nice..."

Seeker shuffled his legs uneasily, then suddenly stood up, trying his best to hide his reddened features. He would have to leave eventually, he knew that. This might become the first time it would be hard on him. He cleared his throat.

"Heh, I think I should get Blacky back here. It's getting late and there are a lot more ponies around and..." His voice trailed off as he trotted towards his dog, who was gleefully paddling in the water of one of the nearby ponds. As the well trained animal that he was, Blacky noticed his masters approach, and instantly jumped out of the water, sitting at the edge, waiting for a command.

The grey Unicorn stallion could have easily called out or whistled or anything really to get his friend's attention, but a moment to order his thoughts was just what he needed.

He sighed quietly. It had began as something he did out of obligation, but it felt so natural. And the thought that he would have to leave in a couple of days.. It filled him with conflicting feelings now.