Lol, I thought it was Trixie (or Tricksy[?]) before I saw the wings! Yeah, that was a good one. I must say the animation is getting better (Quoting dam scene), and this one had an exellent lesson in it which most, if not all of us, could relate to. Thumbs up from me!

Not liking this episode is one thing, ranting about how 'YOU ARE LOOSING FAITH IN THE SHOW" is a totally different animal

Well, you could take my word for it that I didn't like last episode either then, and that I think this entire season is below the first one. The wavering faith is the result of a number of reasons. Lower quality + the knowledge that Faust is less involved with the show as the season goes on makes me worry that they've lost someone critical.

Even when this season is funny, it's still rarely as good.

Know what I miss about the show? Subtely. Remember when there was subtlety?

Know what I miss about the show? Subtely. Remember when there was subtlety?

very much this.

while I like the new episodes, it's missing all of these jokes. I think that's the main reason why I didn't love lesson zero as much as everybody else.

• Like 1

@Dessa

Yeah I miss that too. But what I miss most of all is the friendship. I loved the friendship of the mane six in Season 1 and the way each character played off each other. I really miss that. Now they just focus on characters individually. Even when they're together it feels more like a group of individuals than a group of friends.

• Like 2

For me was just OK, Spanish subbies aren't up right now and maybe I passed things, but this episode passed through me as fast as bad seafood, I was for a moment caught wondering if the masked figure was Luna, wen she both used her wings and unicorn magic...

I see more value on stuff made canon:

A dam with hydro-electrical equipment making canon the existence and/or understanding of electricity.

Complex machinery, like cranes and such.

Modern photographic equipment (not digital, of course, but still some SLR's)

That, or the episode lacked any coherent development.

A dam with hydro-electrical equipment making canon the existence and/or understanding of electricity.

Complex machinery, like cranes and such.

I want to write these off as "gag items" much like Twilight's "computer" for the sake of the plot. The main reason is that such things are out of place in Equestria and don't fit in with the general technology and culture of pony society. The dam I could pass, but the hydroelectric generators was too much. The crane bugged me for the same reason, it would have been more interesting with a bunch of ponies up there on the top floor and one of the supporting beams buckle, but that's just me.

That and I know people are going to want hydro-electrical engineers or something in RP like they want actual battle tanks :/

I want to write these off as "gag items" much like Twilight's "computer" for the sake of the plot. The main reason is that such things are out of place in Equestria and don't fit in with the general technology and culture of pony society. The dam I could pass, but the hydroelectric generators was too much. The crane bugged me for the same reason, it would have been more interesting with a bunch of ponies up there on the top floor and one of the supporting beams buckle, but that's just me.

Well, it still mean that they don't have it.

Clearly Equestria is filled with technology, even past the obvious things that occur for the plot.

Cameras and film, for instance. Lighting and sound systems. And don't forget about Vinyl's turntable.

I see Equestria as a sort of modernised steampunk world, where technology exists, but the lifestyle is still simple.

The main thing is that they are not addicted to technology.

Plus steel beems were clearly being used to build a high rise, which is extremely out of place in a village like Ponyville where houses are generally no higher than three stories. Actually, the whole world was changed to contrive a story that had no right calling itself My Little Pony.

• Like 1

hi hi

Maybe someone really did decide that having ponies pulling a train was too weird? The weather factory and wrapping up winter were great, made Equestria feel like a different world. They had an opportunity to continue that here... not sure why they didn't take it.

Well, from what I hear, it was a new writer so they were probably unfamiliar with the world. Thus, instead of Equestria we get tired and cliche "citizens in peril" settings.

As far as the episode goes, I was fairly disappointed. Mostly due to the several unnecessary things that they showed. These include the various accidents that occured around Ponyville, Rainbow Dash's incessant arrogance, and her friends' neglect. Sure, they were trying to help, but to not even drop a hint? That was cold. Also, Scootaloo left her just like that. She didn't even ask what was wrong or anything. That's not very friendly of her. Considering how she loves Rainbow Dash, that doesn't make sense. Unless she doesn't see her as a pony, but rather as an image or idol, which would be disturbing. Previous posts are right about this season being more disjointed on the friendship as seen by this episode and Lesson Zero. These were terrible for characterisation.

I'm still enjoying the season, however. Every episode but those two was great. The one before wasn't spectacular, but it was at least more coherent and more characterised. Apart from exploring Rainbow's seemingly abandonment issues, nothing really moves along. Oh well, hopefully the next one is better.

One more thing, why is Fluttershy being forgotten? :(

My problem with the the last 2 episodes and Dash in general for this season is her flawed characterization. She's not shown a good natured pony that lets attention go to her head sometimes but just as a narcissistic attention horse. Dash was a braggart in S1 but we got to see more sides to her personality to balance her out.

In "Call of the Cutie" we she that Dash genuinely tries to help ponies in need when she takes time out of her busy schedule of napping to help Applebloom get her cutie mark. There was no ulterior motive or desperate plea for attention, Dash just honestly wanted to help another pony because she felt she could. While her ideas never worked out for AppleBloom her heart was in the right place.

We also got a lot more examples of RD's sense of loyalty and justice. Dash was willing to sever ties with Gilda despite their long standing friendship together once Gilda insulted her new friends that were only trying to help her. She defended Fluttershy as a filly when she was being bullied. Finally, the strongest example of this is in "Over a Barrel" when even after being humiliated by Little Strongheart she was the first and only pony to stand up for the Buffalo once she understood how they were robbed of their land.

Finally this episode had chance to justify her actions by focusing on one Dash's weaknesses. One of the things that made "Sonic Rainboom" so strong was that it's the first time we she Dash's fear of failure and her triumph over it through a second successful Sonic Rainboom. "Mare Do Well" also has a scene where RD expresses concern about being alone now that she isn't popular. While I wouldn't want Dash to get a Naruto-style sob story explaining her lonely life, I feel that this should been expanded on to redeem her somewhat and give more insight to her character.

Hopefully future episode have Dash showing more restraint and responsibility so that the last the last two episodes don't become pointless.

I think this statement I read on EqD sums it up for me:

RD is being too big-headed, even for RD. This turns her into a caricature and a tool for the purpose of punching you in the face with a moral, rather than a character.

Exactly, it is if they took some of her weaknesses in her personality and turned it up to eleven. A flawed character is great, a flawed character where the flaws are overwhelming is just a caricature of that flaw, the character gets lost and marginalized.

Darkwing Pony for the Mare Do Well costume, anypony?Edit: I do agree with a lot of the others. The episode felt a little different. New Writer and everything, probably. Hopefully the next episode brings back the MLP we all fell in love with.

I think some people might just be suffering from a Dash overload after these two episodes. For the longest time, I thought I hated the CMC because it just annoyed me to see The Show Stoppers after Stare Master. It was just too much and it soured my opinion of the CMC and their episodes in general for months. Viewed independently later, I liked both those episodes fine, and I like the CMC a lot now. :)

It really would have served them well to change the episode order to avoid scheduling two Dash episodes together, I think. Might have made some people at least somewhat more receptive to it.

That said, I personally love seeing Dash act all brash and arrogant. I think it's cute in some strange way. I might just be weird though.... :blah:

It really would have served them well to change the episode order to avoid scheduling two Dash episodes together, I think. Might have made some ponies at least somewhat more receptive to it.

Time for a fanon episode rearrangement? Let's hope this episode to be more edible later...

I forgot...: Now baby Ponies are Canon! So, wasn't Celestia creating then in tube capsules and releasing them at Foal/Filly age

Tbh I can understand very well that people disliked the episode. I liked episode and so far in Season 2 I don't have episodes that was my least favorite, in season 1 I had two episodes that are my least favorite. The thing I can't understand is that people are losing faith/wanted to leave/some of them left after 1 or two bad for them episodes. I could leave easily FiM after Gilda/A bird in the hoof episode (I kinda don't liked Gilda episode for her character as I hate people like this so good job Pinkie Pie at end here, and a Bird in the hoof... Ugh, Phoenix was interestinig idea but episode was so boring). But I didn't as I still liked other episodes and I made many friends cause of it, I knew that one or two episodes that wasn't very good or good for me (neither bad, just "ok") can't affect my opinion about entire series. Maybe take a little distance people and don't screw everything cause of 1 or 2 episodes (even in the row) You disliked.

• Like 1

Man, no matter where I look, people feel about the same. Definitely not a top-notch episode. There were parts I thought were great, and some parts I thought fell sorta flat.

I'm seriously hoping that episodes only get better from here.

Was it awful? No. I was entertained; it did make me chuckle at times. It's probably Owl's Well That Ends Well-level for me. It's definitely not one of those episodes you'd show a friend to convince them that the show is awesome.

I do hope that if Merriwether Williams has written other episodes that this is more of an exception than the rule.

hi hi

There were lots of good moments in the episode, but I had trouble enjoying them because they were split up by awkward moments. For instance, Rainbow Dash worrying about being alone, then getting upset and telling Scoots that she loved being alone was a brilliant "sour grapes," moment, and individually, each of the rescue scenes was exciting and fun.

I guess the thing that brought me down was that I kept waiting for Rainbow Dash's friends to be friendly. I mean, they got it halfway right, trying to teach her by providing a good example... and maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seemed to me like they were more interested in proving her wrong than helping her see the right way. I mean, I could have seen them serving up a little bit of humble pie at the start after Dash had said nopony else in town was as heroic, even though they'd all done acts of heroism together in the past, but by the end, I was waiting for them to do something that would help Rainbow Dash be better rather than doing everything for her. (it felt kind of like that parent -you know the one- who gloats about being able to do things their kid cant, or enjoys telling their kid "I told you so," when they make a mistake.) There's lots of ways they could have done it too.

Perhaps if the MMDW had saved the day but then left all the praise for Rainbow Dash, she'd have been stuck trying to reconcile the fact that she was getting praise she didn't deserve. Perhaps the MMDW could have tried working together with Rainbow Dash (like they kinda did during the construction site disaster), showing that it wasn't a competition. Perhaps the MMDW could have let Rainbow Dash upstage her, then accept it gracefully rather than holding the grudge Rainbow Dash would have expected, proving to Dash that she wasn't trying to upstage her. Perhaps when Dash was getting bent out of shape over lunch, her friends could have tried comforting her instead of laughing at her. (that was particularly harsh) That scene at lunchtime would have been the appropriate time for the lecture they gave her at the end of the show, before she'd self-destructed.

It felt like it could have been a lot better if it had just a little bit more to it. Just a little spark of friendship to smooth out the rough edges.

• Like 1

I loved this episode. I really did love it. Even though I knew what was gonna happen.(I was bombarded with so much work yesterday that I didn't get to see the show and I read this before actually seeing the episode today.) I hope the next Rainbow Dash episode isn't that far down the line,

I loved this episode. I really did love it. Even though I knew what was gonna happen.(I was bombarded with so much work yesterday that I didn't get to see the show and I read this before actually seeing the episode today.) I hope the next Rainbow Dash episode isn't that far down the line,

For the sake of Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack, I hope it is.

Now that I've some time to think about this episode, I have to say: I still like it.

Is it my fave of Season 2? No, but I think it did sort of build on something we all saw in the previous ep "May The Best Pet Win."

In that ep, Rainbow Dash still exhibited a lot of ego. Wanting a pet to be as 'Awesome and Cool!" as she was. Although in the end, she learned a lesson about judging others, she still hadn't learned anything about being humble herself. Thus, in my opinion, the Mare-Do-Well ep forces RD to deal with her own bloated ego.

And this sort of 'hero complex' is something many people deal with. For some folks, doing something heroic once leads them to want to do MORE heroics to keep the 'praise' going. I remember hearing about a sad stories many years ago about a New York policeman who herocially rescued a child from a burning builiding. Many months later, he made a similar rescue in a similar situation. It was discovered later that he intentionally set the second fire so he could be 'famous' again.

Give RD credit for not pulling what Twilight Sparkle did in "Lesson Zero" and 'CREATE' a heroic situation for the sake of performing a rescue. She sort of went that route during the Grand Galloping Gala, but to her credit, she didn't 'go there' this time.

All in all, not the BEST episode of this season, but it wasn't a 'dumpster fire' either. Let's hope the quality improves over the course of the rest of Season 2.

• Like 1