Yeah, I wouldn't put blame on the writer of the show. It's a team effort. It's not like this new writer was responsible for everything that happened in this episode.

Although I wouldn't put ALL the blame on the writer, it's clear to me that this episode had a different pace than the previous ones. Technology is more obvious, the scene set-ups and how they played out were more plain and there was a feeling of recycling, since the only new appealing subject to me this episode was the "Mare Do Well Costume". While I'm at it, almost nothing from this episode will be used/mentioned again at all.

I guess I really wanted the Mare Do Well to be her own character, I found that costume to be fabulous. ;-)

Baby comparisons:

Spoilered because ugly design!

89864%20-%20absurd_res%20baby%20baby_pony%20Baby_Splashy%20transparent%20vector.png

Image30.png

I guess it's the eyes. And the diaper.

Although I wouldn't put ALL the blame on the writer, it's clear to me that this episode had a different pace than the previous ones. Technology is more obvious, the scene set-ups and how they played out were more plain and there was a feeling of recycling, since the only new appealing subject to me this episode was the "Mare Do Well Costume". While I'm at it, almost nothing from this episode will be used/mentioned again at all.

I guess I really wanted the Mare Do Well to be her own character, I found that costume to be fabulous. ;-)

Baby comparisons:

Spoilered because ugly design!

89864%20-%20absurd_res%20baby%20baby_pony%20Baby_Splashy%20transparent%20vector.png

Image30.png

I guess it's the eyes. And the diaper.

Yeah, I am going to chalk that baby up as something drawn weird just for that gag moment. Rather like how Snips and Snails look unusual and not like the other males (same with Pipsqueak, to a lesser degree), with the idea that most baby foals look more like Cheerliee there.

At least that is what I am going with if I ever draw any.

meh for the same reason boast busters was meh, and no ammount of RD will make it better

seriously, Luna??? it was obvious that it was more than 1 pony from the straight beggining, why whouldnt her use magic to stop the cart (epic spiderman 2 shoutout) if that was the case? the pinkie sense was one that i didnt have into account though :D

I'll admit - this episode did exactly what I was scared it would do. I'm very, very tired of Rainbow Dash always being the butt of the joke, shown wrong every time she tries to do something.

Is it any wonder she has such a low self-esteem and clings to her speed so very much? It's the only thing she has. Of course she's 'loyalty', she only sees value in her friends - not in herself. She'd never let them down for her own sake, when she's so worthless. Yay, she's fast. That lets her have big-damn-hero moments for getting people out of the way of danger...

But every time she tries to establish her personality in any way, to make a choice other than 'be fast - get someone out of the way' she gets shot down. "Hey, big giant monster is threatening my friends! I'll kick it in the face! ... oh, no, wait, nevermind, I forgot my friend has magic mind-raping guilt powers. OK, well, hey, I'll just have some fun, be a prankster! Oh, no, wait... my old prankster buddy's being kinda... *****y. Hrm. Now I have to choose between two of my friends, boy I feel like crap. Hey, time to rescue everyone by taking out this swarm of horrible bugs! Oh, no, wait - my friend who didn't bother to explain anything to anyone comes in and ruins my rescue, and she gets the spotlight instead, because she enjoys being all mysterious and random. Man, I can't do anything right, apparently."

Every time she tries to do something, she gets shot down. The world is too 'nice' and tries to find 'nice' ways of defeating enemies - even if those ways of defeating enemies are actually a bit worse than kicking them in the face. In a different world, she'd be able to grow, develop, and be a hero. Here, she just ends up looking like a clown every time she tries, her fragile self-ego taking yet another kick to the face.

Even with all that said - I enjoyed this episode! It was fun, I loved the old Shadow references. I liked the little nods to continuity, like Pinkie Sense, and the bits of personality that keep growing, like AJ naming her hooves. I liked Scoot being all fan-girly. And I don't think that Scootaloo 'dumped' Dash, like everyone says - she has more than enough fangirl for both heroes. She was completely blind to the very idea that Dash might be jealous. No doubt Scootaloo was already writing superhero team-up fanfiction. (Dash/Mare shipping? Who knows!)

It wasn't a GREAT episode, just fun, but I really don't see why so many people hated it so much. Not every episode has to be spectacular or deep - sometimes it can just be enjoyable.

• Like 4

It wasn't a GREAT episode, just fun, but I really don't see why so many people hated it so much. Not every episode has to be spectacular or deep - sometimes it can just be enjoyable.

This is what I was thinking. It's a bit too early to start losing faith in the series. I didn't start watching this series because I figured every episode would be like "Suited for Success" or "Party of One", most of the time, it's enjoyable because it's just fun to watch.

That said, I would put this at the bottom of the show's episodes where "Owl's Well That Ends Well" is. :P

Even with all that said - I enjoyed this episode! It was fun, I loved the old Shadow references. I liked the little nods to continuity, like Pinkie Sense, and the bits of personality that keep growing, like AJ naming her hooves. I liked Scoot being all fan-girly. And I don't think that Scootaloo 'dumped' Dash, like everyone says - she has more than enough fangirl for both heroes. She was completely blind to the very idea that Dash might be jealous. No doubt Scootaloo was already writing superhero team-up fanfiction. (Dash/Mare shipping? Who knows!)

Yes. Agreed with this so much. :)

I don't know what people are expecting from this show now, but it seems kind of unreasonable. I watched this episode twice and found it entertaining both times. There were lots of fun, exciting visuals. There were lots of really cute moments. It still a few had lines that made me laugh out loud. And it still had the great animation, voice acting and characters that make the show so great in the first place. It was just a fun episode to watch, I thought.

Was it really was kind of predictable? I don't expect to be surprised as long as I'm entertained. Could it have had a little more humor? Maybe. Looking at it again, larger and more clearly, is that baby pony kind of creepy? Definitely. Does the new writer maybe need to get a little more acclimated to writing for the show? Probably. Do we really need some new characters or even monsters pretty soon this season? Yes, of course; I want to see new characters as much anyone. None of that makes this episode terrible as far as I'm concerned.

Not every Dash episode can be Sonic Rainboom. That doesn't mean this one (or last week's for that matter) wasn't a lot of fun in its own way.

I like this episode and am pretty confused by all the hate for it, Whenever I mentioned something being inconsistent or silly I got brushed off and told "Well it's for kids so"

Well now that this episode has aired you all seem to be sort of up in a dander over a predictable storyline.. well this IS for kids you know? It's also a new author getting her hooves wet in this universe, I liked the subtle references in this episode, as well as the Dash ego deflating.

I think too many people are trying to find reasons to pick MLP apart so they can safely hate it now and it's ridiculous.

This episode wasn't the best but it wasn't terrible so I'm standing on neutral Turf.

• Like 1

Why can't people simply just dislike an episode on its merits without being second guessed for their reasoning?

I dont think anypony here is looking for an excuse to hate the show. I dont think anypony here expects this show to suddenly be NYPD blue. We hope, like anypony else, that the show can do what it did for us in season one, and THATS IT.

Season 1 was a "kids show" with adult appeal. If they could do it then, we can do it here. "It's a kids show" is a cop-out. Just because it's for kids doesnt mean it's not for adults. Lauren Faust has said as much explicitly.

Some ponies like the episode, some do not. It really is that simple.

• Like 2

Think I might be overdosing on Rainbow Dash if this keeps up O.o I wonder why they scheduled two RD-centric episodes one after another? Seems odd to me...

Anyway, I liked the episode, as always, but out of all the ones so far, this one probably wasn't as fun for me because I guessed who Mare-Do-Well was before she even appeared, so the rest of the episode I was just going 'It's so obvious!'. I actually said to myself when she showed up 'I bet she uses unicorn magic and pegasus wings. That'll be my proof', and, right on cue, there it was.

Oh well, it is a kid's show after all.

Also found the absence of the spoken letter at the end to be a bit strange... I like to hear the moral of the story laid out for me at the end :-(

Also, now I've watched this episode, I've caught up on all of them! I've been watching one per night since episode four of season 1, and now I've got NOTHING until the next one airs! :scream: Withdrawal symptoms in three... two...

hi hi

Awkward... There were some parts that I really enjoyed about this episode: the construction yard scene, spike the ghost writer, Pinkie Pie calling Twilight silly on demand, swimming in the clouds and Dash's own personal storm cloud of gloom; but watching Rainbow Dash over-boast and then self destruct later was a bit awkward to watch for me.

I put it on roughly the same level as Bird in the Hoof. Coulda been more awesome.

(Also: Look Before you Sleep is my favorite episode of all time!)

Honestly, I do want to be surprised, or strung along for a while instead of knowing right away. The excuse of it "being a kids show" is a lousy one, because as a kid, I wanted the same thing. Just because I was a child didn't mean I needed everything revealed to me in the first few minutes, I liked the mystery, I liked trying to figure it out, I liked the challenge to my young mind. Dumbing something down for the sake "of the kids" insults them into a stereotype where they can't or don't want, mystery or complexity.

Yeah this episode made me question things, because I am not even a writer and I saw so many lost moments to deepen the characters and their interactions, especially with Scootaloo (someone little kids can identify with) and Dash and still completely maintain the "kid friendly" atmosphere. If I could do it, real writers ont hat team can to, but blew past that.

But hey maybe the next episode will be "god tier", maybe the next three will be. This season had four episodes I really liked (counting the Discord two parter as separate episodes), and two I thought were ok. I dunno, maybe it was also Dash just being a bit too annoying with her ego, it was far more pronounced this time then in other episodes, even the pet one, and that is saying something.

• Like 1

I love Rainbow Dash but I am officially sick of seeing her.

I kind of worry this episode was put in solely to make an excuse to make her character less Rainbow Dash-y (cocky, competitive, thoughtless) in the future.

What I liked:

RD didn't start off boasty at least. She was embarrassed and surprised at her accolades at first.

Pinkie's Pinke-Sense being used as a superpower

Stalk--I mean Scootaloo having converted her friends into the Rainbow Dash fanclub. And also Bon-Bon :D

I've saved the grass!

What I really disliked:

The random geography added to Ponyville SOLELY for plot points for the story. Cliff? Gorge? DAM?! ESPECIALLY a cliff right at the edge of some sort of residential area, so we can't even act like it was some outside section we've not been to.

How...forcasted the end was, at least for me. The ponies all talking about the Mare-Do-Well "Oh, a spell like that she must have STUDIED HARD hint hint" was a bit much. I know I expected Tank to win last week but I was still surprised at how they set it up at the end. This was just too obvious for me (though not for everyone it seems)

How 'Oh, gosh, I guess not being arrogant makes more sence!' line for the moral. I mean reaaally. I expected at least some sort of argument. Or apology. Not "oh yes this makes sense now I am solved.'

I am not HAPPY her friends chose to take this route to teach her a lesson, but given how arrogant she's been before, I'm willing to see this as a 'last resort' situation.

Man Ponyville is unsafe.

And lord Rainbow Dash's life seems lonely. I hope we see her more with her pet if only because of the fact she seems to have NO ONE, unlike all the other ponies. She doesn't even seem to really hang out with the others as much, given all her cloud time.

I've got to agree with Brian.

This had to be the WORST episode yet. As soon as I saw Rainbow Dash...breakdancing...I knew something was up. The whole episode feels real disjointed. I did like the idea of Scootaloo heading a Rainbow Dash fan club. That was fine. Then, once the cocky Rainbow Dash showed up, I was a tad confused. After all, didn't last episode teach her ANYTHING? Of course, I can understand the episodes being aired out of order, but this episode pronounced her cockiness MUCH too far. It became so annoying, and so repetitive, that it became goofy. Admittingly, the Mare Do-Well was fun. I pretty much knew it was a group effort, but the constant Batman references made it fun. Extra credit to the production crew for putting in Elfman-like music during the chase scene near the end. I also enjoyed Granny Smith *****-slapping Rainbow Dash. Justified, but funny as hell. Me likee.

However, every subtle detail that we love about FiM was void in this. There was no development, no deep anything, and no allusions besides the obvious Batman ones, which felt like they were planted in just for kicks. Even worse, I couldn't enjoy it. The episode just DRAGGED. I'll admit, I DID laugh at a few things. Dash "saving" the grass was funny, I admit.

I was also EXTREMELY disappointed that Scootaloo was just ditch Rainbow Dash. What have we established about her? What does she CONSTANTLY want in 'Cutie Mark Chronicles'? So, the big, loyal fangirl of Rainbow Dash ditches her in only less than A DAY? I had a bad feeling about seeing a new writer writing this episode, and boy, I feel my worries were true. I can understand she needs to test the waters, but HOW CAN YOU SCREW UP SCOOTALOO?

Frankly, this episode was just too dumbed-down for me. Everything was completely uncharacteristic of the show. I understand we won't get episodes like 'Suited for Success' every week, but I expect SOME quality. After all, even the supposed "worst episode" of Owl's Well that Ends Well was somewhat enjoyable for me. I don't have high standards, considering I realize the target audience. However, this was an absolutely sub-par way to follow up "May the Best Pet Win".

Probably my least favorite episode of the series. By no means will I lose faith, because I know we'll get more great episodes this season, but...please...PLEASE do not do another Rainbow Dash episode. Two mouthfuls of her cocky attitude was just hard to stomach...

• Like 2

I'll admit - this episode did exactly what I was scared it would do. I'm very, very tired of Rainbow Dash always being the butt of the joke, shown wrong every time she tries to do something.

Is it any wonder she has such a low self-esteem and clings to her speed so very much? It's the only thing she has. Of course she's 'loyalty', she only sees value in her friends - not in herself. She'd never let them down for her own sake, when she's so worthless. Yay, she's fast. That lets her have big-damn-hero moments for getting people out of the way of danger...

But every time she tries to establish her personality in any way, to make a choice other than 'be fast - get someone out of the way' she gets shot down. "Hey, big giant monster is threatening my friends! I'll kick it in the face! ... oh, no, wait, nevermind, I forgot my friend has magic mind-raping guilt powers. OK, well, hey, I'll just have some fun, be a prankster! Oh, no, wait... my old prankster buddy's being kinda... *****y. Hrm. Now I have to choose between two of my friends, boy I feel like crap. Hey, time to rescue everyone by taking out this swarm of horrible bugs! Oh, no, wait - my friend who didn't bother to explain anything to anyone comes in and ruins my rescue, and she gets the spotlight instead, because she enjoys being all mysterious and random. Man, I can't do anything right, apparently."

Every time she tries to do something, she gets shot down. The world is too 'nice' and tries to find 'nice' ways of defeating enemies - even if those ways of defeating enemies are actually a bit worse than kicking them in the face. In a different world, she'd be able to grow, develop, and be a hero. Here, she just ends up looking like a clown every time she tries, her fragile self-ego taking yet another kick to the face.

You know, after reading all that, I think I get Rainbow Dash more. As I was watching the episode a second time, I was thinking "What the hell did her parents do to her that she's like this now?" Meanwhile, RD is thinking "Going fast isn't working and that's all I'm good at." During the scene where she exclaims her one leg up is actually wings, and then Fluttershy goes by. The look on her face? I felt like garbage after that too.

You know, after reading all that, I think I get Rainbow Dash more. As I was watching the episode a second time, I was thinking "What the hell did her parents do to her that she's like this now?" Meanwhile, RD is thinking "Going fast isn't working and that's all I'm good at." During the scene where she exclaims her one leg up is actually wings, and then Fluttershy goes by. The look on her face? I felt like garbage after that too.

This is the sort of thing I would love to see explored in an episode. I think one can do it and still be kid friendly, heck many kids may seriously associate with Dash. Heck, I would!

And you forgot to mention her TERRIBLE mullet mane :D

I didn't find the episode that bad, at least it was distracting... but two R.D episodes in a row was kinda overkill, still waiting for a Fluttershy one. Can't say she got much screen time so far in season 2.

Anyway not so great they made the mysterious mane's identity obvious so early.

Fast and strong: check

Super sense: check

Ok we got it, collective effort.

I just saw the episode.

I must say, I was PARTIALLY right. I predicted AppleJack would be Mare-Do-Well. So, I was a quarter right... Right?

I have to say, this hasn't exactly been my favorite one. I know Rainbow Dash is one of the more famous of the Mane 6, but we don't need two episodes about her in a row. I'd have to rank this pretty low in my list of favorites, unfortunately.

I did love Mare do Well's costume though... Simply fabulous.