Darkest Dawn [Final]

Conor Colton

Name: Darkest Dawn

Sex: Male

Species: Pegasus

Pelt colour: Black

Mane/Tail/Markings colour & Style: Red and black hair, short cut, spiked forward

Eye colour: Red

Cutie mark: Comet

Physique: Normal build

Origin: Canterlot

Roleplay type: Mane RP

Motivation: Become the best at his craft

Dislikes: Dark places

Character Summary:

Regardless of what you may think because of his name when Dawn was younger he had an almost crippling fear of the dark. He would always go out of his way to ensure that a place was fully lit up. If he ever was forced to be in a dark situation he would curl up close his eyes and hope somepony would save him, and that 'somepony' would usually be his parents.

This fear stemmed from a fear of the unknown Dawn had developed at a young age, it was soo bad that he didn't dare fly more than a few feet above his house and he wouldn't dream of breaking the cloud barrier. He usually confided to himself both at home and in school. He was always a good student but he never did grasp how to handle social situations well.

Dawn's parents knew of all this fear and social awkwardness and they usually tried to help their son with these problems, but most of these efforts were in vain as Dawn's stubborn nature led him to be a creature of isolation resenting his parents as he thought he had no problems. On many occasions Dawn had arguments with his parents as any family does, but one in particular set the wheels of fate in motion. Dawn's parents were concerned that he had yet to acquire his cutie mark as everpony else's kids had found their's at this point. When they confronted him about it though he once again took resentment to them as he saw it as a touchy subject. Dawn was so furious that when he was sent to his room he climbed out his window and flew as far away from both his house, and Canterlot as far as he could.

He was a few miles outside Canterlot before it started becoming dark Dawn tried to push on but the uncertainty of what awaited him in the dark was too much and he fell to the floor and cried, feeling awful about what he had done and wasn't sure if he would ever get home in this dark. He did what he always did, he closed his eyes and hoped somepony would help him.

As all seemed lost for Dawn he felt a bright light shining in his eyes, he promptly opened them and looked up to find a bright comet soaring across the sky, the comet seemed so bright that it lit up things from miles away as it flew over them, Dawn looked off in the distance and saw Canterlot once again. He rushed back to the city and then to his house where he reunited with his parents he apologized for what he had done and when he was done his parents pointed something out he had failed to notice. On Dawn's previous 'blank flank' was a cutie mark in the shape of a comet. Dawn could only assume that he had got his cutie mark when he first saw the comet as it led him back to Canterlot, but he was never entirely sure.

From that day onwards Dawn no longer feared the unknown, in fact he embraced it. He began his studies of astronomy as the comet had peaked his interest in the matter and that led to him obtaining his degree and eventually his own observatory for a cheap price in Ponyville. And he continues his studies of the unknown to this day forever grateful that fate had sent that comet to steer him down the right path.

(Mega thanks to CrossStitch for helping me out on this one :) )

A few things.

He is a trifle dark for this forum, and I think you may definitely be asked to tone him down a bit. The reason there are not really any dark, evil OCs here is because in a land where Friendship is Magic, it just really doesn't seem occur to anyone to be evil for the sake of being evil.

Even the MOST EVIL that Equestria has seen that we are aware of (that is, Discord) has been mostly just mischievous. And he is way more powerful than any Pegasus, no matter how negative their outlook on life, could ever hope to be. How did his parents become so evil?

I am not sure how a red moon relates to his special talent, motivation, or anything. Why did one little white pegasus thwarting his plans launch him into a lifetime of revenge? Why did his parents choose to have him try to distroy this particular family?

I am fairly sure that unless he is a transient raiding the pony equivalent of dumpsters, he needs some kind of occupation. How does he eat? After all, in the words of the immortal Inigo Montoya, "There's not a lot of money in revenge"

Thanks Flutterscotch :D

You got me thinking, and yeah that back story was kinda bad, so I've completely revamped it :) I've made him into more of a loner/mischievous character than an evil one.

*And I'm pretty sure the cutie mark makes sense now ;)

Hay there, just wanted to stop by and lend my two bits. First things first, if that is indeed a picture of the afore mentioned Pony, the bat wings are not allowed unfortunately. There are also some grammatical mistakes that I am sure another read through would catch. Now that that is out of the way, let's get down to business. You have a good start of an application here but it needs a little tweaking here and there. First off, why would most of his life be spent outside at night. I understand that he likes it, but most younger ponies do have to go to school in the day, if he spent all night out, when would the poor guy sleep? Also, a pony's cutie-mark is a very special thing, it represents their true calling and comes at a time when they realize their place in the grand scheme of life. What does Dawn's cutie-mark represent? Now the marks don't have to be straight forward, they can take some artistic licenses but they do have to represent something. I actually do not see a large drive in this pony's personality. What does he love to do, other than spend time outside at night? Is there anything that he is especially good at? Also, how far did the rocket jettison him up into the sky? I would hope just above the clouds because otherwise he would have either suffocated or experienced explosive decompression.

I am sure that once you take these things into account, he will be a rather interesting and three dimensional character!

~Sage AkA Freddie Freewings

Hay there again! This application looks pretty well done and thought out, aside from a few minor usage and spelling mistakes that another read through would catch. One final thing, you do not mention the exact moment when he received his cutie-mark, I assume that it is when he saw the comet and the like, but just be sure to pop that in there! Remember to switch him from [WIP] to [Final] when you are satisfied with him!

~Sage AkA Freddie Freewings